PDA

View Full Version : Evading destroyers?

hatemf90
04-24-09, 12:42 PM
Hi,
(Sorry if this is in the wrong place)

I just got GWX a few days ago just after I upgraded my vid card. Very happy with it but I have few questions

1) Evading destroyers is much harder here! as early as 1939, its almost impossible to escape a destroyer... their too fast and go around is circles pinging me what ever I do.. in vanilla SH3 destroyers cant ping this early in the war.

2) Where can I find other mods to install? I have GSME.

3) Where do I find in GWX the best routes for convoys and large warships, or is this known by experience?

Also how do I change my emblem after Ive chosen one already? and how do I know what number is my u-boat?!

Thanks and great mod btw.

nikbear
04-24-09, 12:58 PM
Hi,and welcome aboard :salute:
1.Evading destroyers takes above all patience,If he already knows your there,go deep as you dare,taking into account any damage you may have sustained,and run silent:03:(Z) Button for silent running! Try to point away or towards the DD so as to present a small sonar signature as possible,make sure your course away has some shallow turns,never try and leave in a straight line,he will find it easier to track you that way.You could also listen to him making a run to drop ash cans,and when he does,time it so that when they start going off,you can hit 5,flank speed and gain some distance while he is temporarily deaf,cause his sonar can't hear you above the din:03:
2 There is a list in the SH3 Mods workshop forum with links to great site's and modder's work which should cater for all you modding needs
3 On the Map screen in game,if you look top left,there are some pull down charts and one of them is a convoy route map.For BB's and stuff you will get updates about task force's during your patrol's telling you where they are hopefully giving you enough time to intercept them.....happy hunting:arrgh!:

Brag
04-24-09, 02:30 PM
Welcome aboard Hatem:salute:

On your sailing orders you will finfd which U-boat you're on.You may want to visit my kielman website where you will find some articles on defensive and attack tactics.

hatemf90
04-24-09, 04:03 PM
Thanks nikbear! I do apply these things but after 3/4 attacks, I get kind of tired and feel its hopeless, must try harder.

also great site Brag, enjoyed reading it.

Laufen zum Ziel
04-24-09, 04:53 PM
Welcome aboard. Visit the Subsim download site to enhance your exoerience.

TarJak
04-24-09, 05:29 PM
Go deep. Go silent and pray they go away soon.:DL

Platapus
04-24-09, 05:37 PM
Don't evade destroyers. Just surface and engage with the deck gun.

I do it all the time.... of course I have to start a new career afterwards :D

Brag
04-24-09, 05:47 PM

Platapus!

We will make you flotilla training officer. :88)

Otto Heinzmeir
04-24-09, 06:19 PM
It might not be authentic to real life tactics. But you can preset your TDC for a 000 or 180 bearing attack and come to periscope depth while the DD circles. Either go ahead full or emergency reverse to get at least 300m away from destroyer. Set speed of fish to 10kts, depth 2 meters, AOB 90 (starboard or port depends on which way he circles) Aim just slightly behind bow as he will speed up at last second. Might take a bit of practice but will save you 2 or 3 hours of evasion sometimes. :yeah:

PappyCain
04-24-09, 07:04 PM
I try to load a few acoustics. If I had my Wheaties and feel confident (I play DID so I am not looking to risk my boat and crew needlessly) and I have a handle on my situation I will go to periscope depth and pop him with an acoustic.

:salute:

TarJak
04-24-09, 09:55 PM
I try to load a few acoustics. If I had my Wheaties and feel confident (I play DID so I am not looking to risk my boat and crew needlessly) and I have a handle on my situation I will go to periscope depth and pop him with an acoustic.

:salute:Not many of them around in 1939:DL

PappyCain
04-24-09, 11:26 PM
Get 'ur eyeglasses on ol'Pappy. The year is 1939! Ya old poop! :har:

'Oh' sez the old poop. 'Did not see the date in the post. Musta had squid ink in my eyes!'

I say then give 'em a couple eels as he closes in - hard charge him!

:salute:

Gaijin
04-25-09, 04:48 AM
I find the most reliable method of evading destroyers is to stay in port. :03:

Oneshot/Onekill
04-25-09, 06:38 AM
Go deep. At least 140m. Using your hydrophopnes, estimate their course and do every thing you can to keep your profile small. Watch your speed, keep your engine rpm's to 100 or less untill you hear him make a DC run. Then go to flank and make a turn to port or starboard depending on what course he is making his run on you at.

Jimbuna
04-25-09, 07:21 AM
Welcome aboard hatemf90 http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/welcome.gif

I'm sure your getting the gist of what to do by now http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

SINK EM ALL!! http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

Paul Riley
04-25-09, 07:57 AM

:rotfl:!

hatemf90
04-25-09, 10:37 AM

Might as well ram the ship then board with my crew :o

Thank you all, I will go evade some DDs now :)

McHibbins
04-25-09, 10:45 AM
Go surface and enter them !:arrgh!::haha::arrgh!:

Oneshot/Onekill
04-26-09, 06:48 AM
Might as well ram the ship then board with my crew :o

Thank you all, I will go evade some DDs now :)One other suggestion I forgot to include, this one will save your live. Get a BOLD decoy launcher as soon as they become available. Now in reference to what I stated above, launch a decoy just as he starts to make his DC run and then perform what I recommended afterward. Also don't stay at flank speed for too long, because once he reduces speed to begin another sweep he will hear your cavitation over the sound the decoy is making.

I hope this helps give you a higher chance of evading and surviving.:up:

Wicked Popsicle
04-26-09, 10:12 PM
curiosity when do decoys come available?

Synthfg
04-27-09, 05:50 AM
Go surface and enter them !:arrgh!::haha::arrgh!:

Or go for the charge them as fast as possible, at the last min emergency blow the aim being to leap onto there deck and drag them down

Threesixtyci
04-27-09, 04:23 PM
I suggest activating that sub icon thing.... and keep it in green status. Which means going dead slow (2 knots), or manually set the speed to a max of 3 knots. And do not reload those torpedoes submerged, after an attack... In fact, it's best to uncheck that auto reload option.

Also, realize that when they are pinging, they are not listening. So that's you're only chance to go Red on that sub icon.... and get out of dodge as fast as possible, while at the same time giving them the least physical profile that you can give them. And when it quits pinging... it time to quit running.

Although, that won't work if there are 2 of them. 'cause one of the two is usually listening while the other is pinging. In which case you need to go slow, while keeping your profile minimized to the pinging one or ones.

Depth charge explosions do not mask your presents, and neither does the bottom.

However, if you using SH3 commander thermal layers are kinda added in. Sh3 Commander adds a thermal layer that can be of help. But it's totally random at what depth SH3 commander turns off their sensors at... And if you cruise in shallow waters... well... then it won't matter where SH3commander set that thermal layer at. You'll run a ground before hitting that randomized set, thermal layer depth.

Wien1938
04-30-09, 03:11 PM
Hatemf90, as far as hunting grounds, experience is the best bet. The Nortwest approaches and the lines from NI to Iceland are alway good. The Western approaches are not so good but decent hunting can be had there.

Simple tip - Don't go hunting in shallow water. I have barely escaped (with the boat trashed) when cornered by two destroyers and a corvette in <100m of water. I got royally DC'd and stopped on a underwater ridge that somehow gave me protection enough to repair and later slink off.

Emblems are changed with buying equipment.

SUMSIM.

Jimbuna
04-30-09, 03:15 PM
Welcome aboard Wien1938 http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/welcome.gif

Hanomag
04-30-09, 03:17 PM
Welcome Aboard Herr Kaluens!!! :arrgh!: