PDA

View Full Version : Company of Heros

AVGWarhawk
04-21-09, 12:46 PM
I just got the game..yeah, I know 2006 game of the year and here it is 2009:88) Anyway, the security code did not work but THQ provided a good code for me to install the game. I have not played the game as yet.

Who here has played this game and what are your thoughts on it?

HunterICX
04-21-09, 03:08 PM
Ha I got the game late too (2008)

A entertaining game,

Playing it for quiet a while, sometimes after a Sim or more strategic RTS I just need something that just makes me able to blow my enemy away from the map, and with CoH you can just do that.
the campaign is quiet fun to play if you want to get into the game.

and perhaps one of them days we could have a online game

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/3215/usarty.jpg

HunterICX

AVGWarhawk
04-21-09, 03:30 PM
Yes sir...I will take you up on a skirmish! First I have to see if my activation code provided by relic will work:o. I purchased the game Saturday and was going to spend time with it over the weekend...that was shot all to hell when the code did not work. Relic did send me a code today so I will attempt to see if it works. If so, I then need to understand the ins and outs of the game. After that, let's attempt a squad on squad skirmish:up:

HunterICX
04-21-09, 03:32 PM
alright then let me know when your ready
:D just make sure..to spread your buildings in your base, I'm quiet known for my arty Clusterf**ks :arrgh!:

HunterICX

Arclight
04-21-09, 04:27 PM
Only got the game 2 months or so ago myself; only have a decent PC since 6 months and have been busily building up my collection. Brilliant game, particularly like how infantry squads actually behave like squads and how you can make use of cover. You can earn command points (ala Generals) which you can spend on upgrades, with 3 "tech-trees" to choose from. Still looking for the Oposing Fronts expansion, Tales of Valor is said to be a no-no.

Enjoyed the single player campaign very much, haven't tried my hand at MP yet though. Definatly one of the best titles out there, well worth the money. :up:

onelifecrisis
04-21-09, 05:22 PM
I've only played the SP campaign. It's basically Saving Private Ryan - The Video Game but that's no bad thing.

It wouldn't quite be fair to say CoH = DoW in WW2, but it's not far off the truth either. IIRC the only new feature in CoH is the destructable terrain. Buildings and cover can be destroyed and new cover can be formed by craters and rubble, but the amount that the physical battlefield can really change (in gameplay terms rather than visual terms) is actually pretty limited.

IMO, if you're looking for a new twist on DoW then CoH is good. If you never played DoW then CoH is awesome.

AVGWarhawk
04-21-09, 09:00 PM
It is up and running. A crap load of patches. I have them all and have created an online account. I completed the first two tutorials. It is basically like Blitzkrieg but better graphics and things. More training:D

SteveW1
04-22-09, 12:17 AM
I'm playing the sequal Opposing Fronts at the moment, already completed the first game and am hoping to buy the 3rd installment Tales of Valor out of this weeks pay, there are a lot of patches for it I think I have downloaded about 400 to 500 megs of patched so far. Very good game I like it a lot but have never tried the MP side of it.

Steve

Spike88
04-22-09, 08:19 AM
I got it ages ago on steam. Quite fun. Although my computer barely meets the minimum requirements it still plays decently.

TarJak
04-22-09, 08:26 AM
I've had it for about 12 months. Not bad but the build your army go thump the other guy is a bit too RTS for my liking. I would have preferred something a little more realistic. Nice graphics though.

Tachyon
04-22-09, 08:45 AM
Tales of Heroes and Opposing fronts are stand-alone expansions or do you require the original CoH ?

stabiz
04-22-09, 08:54 AM
I've had it for about 12 months. Not bad but the build your army go thump the other guy is a bit too RTS for my liking. I would have preferred something a little more realistic. Nice graphics though.

Get Men of War, I cant stress this enough. Great game in single player, and truly epic fun in lan or multi. I had two friends over for easter and we blew each other apart for several days on end. None of that silly health bar stuff - tracks get shot off and armour plating fall off, penetration values that change at various distances, no base building, limited ammo and fuel, etc. Best RTS at the moment, IMO.

AVGWarhawk
04-22-09, 09:06 AM

I was in Target over the weekend and it was on sale for $13.98. Could not resist:D

I will look into the game Stabiz recommends also:up:

ReallyDedPoet
04-22-09, 09:16 AM
I just got the game..yeah, I know 2006 game of the year and here it is 2009:88)

Nothing wrong with that, I just got Medieval 2 Total War ( 2006 ) and am enjoying it.

Back on topic :)

Dowly
04-22-09, 09:18 AM
I was in Target over the weekend and it was on sale for $13.98. Could not resist:D

I will look into the game Stabiz recommends also:up:

Men of war is nice, but it has the crappiest voice acting EVER. Also, you have to command billion troops... no, sheppard them, as they tend to either be on the wrong side of the cover or just running in the open while an enemy tanks is mowing them down. :O:

Tho, if you like a more realistic take on things + micro-micro-micro managing your troops, it's definitely for you. :yep:

ReallyDedPoet
04-22-09, 09:24 AM
but it has the crappiest voice acting EVER.

Yeah, I have heard these voices in a review. They are pretty bad :yep:

stabiz
04-22-09, 01:39 PM
Yes, the voice acting is hilariously bad, but its only in the cut scenes so I really couldnt care less.:O: If they talked like that ingame it would be annoying though.

Sorry for the hijack, btw.:)

CaptHawkeye
04-22-09, 09:14 PM
I used to really hate it, but i've gotten better at RTS games over the years so i'm better at the kinds of super-micro the game calls for. In good Relic fashion the single player is worthless and skirmish AI cheats. (You can literally watch it crap out Stormtrooper squads one after the other. They also just happen to know where your units are on the map at any given time.)

It annoys me that like all good MP titles the gameplay has more or less been broken down by the numbers by all of the old players. It's still possible to play with people who aren't power-tripping morons. Like all MP titles though your mileage will vary based on the people you know.

Oh, and Panzer IV FTW. Powerful, efficient, affordable, and not wanktastic.

Tachyon
04-22-09, 11:14 PM
Uh..so can anyone please answer my query a few posts above?

SteveW1
04-23-09, 01:26 AM
Uh..so can anyone please answer my query a few posts above?

No you dont need the original game for Opposing fronts or Tales of Valor they are completely stand alone add-ons but if you have all three you can play all the different factions in multiplayer

Tachyon
04-23-09, 03:53 AM
Thank you for replying. I'm running a bit low on HD space, and I can only install at most one of those games.

So, which one in the series is recommended?

JALU3
04-23-09, 04:17 AM
Brilliant game, particularly like how infantry squads actually behave like squads and how you can make use of cover.

On that note, let me quazi thread hijack and talk about another game. Full Spectrum Warrior, now if you want a Squad that acts like it would in real life, this is a game to go for. I even bought the sequal, Ten Hammers, which lets you command a Bradley, fun times! Now, if only it wasn't so glitchy and THQ actually supported it so it doesn't freeze up in the second British sequence.

Arclight
04-23-09, 06:45 AM
Played both those as well. Original on xbox and then PS2. sequel on ps2 as well. Port was horrible, particularly sound and framerate suffered as well. Tried running Ten Hammers on the PC on a 8800GTS, but it just wouldn't run smooth. :o

Sloppy coding, but great gameplay. :yeah:

Back to topic; Tachyon: I'd recommend the original and/or the first expansion (Opposing Fronts). Tales of Valor has some new gimmicky features that came at the cost of single-player campaign (3 camp. with 3 missions each). Original offers US campaign, OF offers UK and German campaign, although I'm not sure on lenghts. :hmmm:

stabiz
04-23-09, 07:12 AM
You can probably get the original and OF bundled at a nice prize these days.

AVGWarhawk
04-23-09, 07:24 AM
Yeah, I got the original cheap! I went thought the tutorials and have started playing the Normandy invasion. It is a lot of fun. I crack up at some of the things the soldiers say. Man, sometimes the play action is quick and keeping up with your engineers who are pined down somewhere at the beach and my rifle squads up at the shingle can get hair raising. Lots of fun.

I can not wait to play with an armor division:D

CaptainHaplo
04-23-09, 09:25 PM
I have CoH and the OF expansion. Honestly - I liked the original better. But then again, I play single player only.

In case any of you are like me and miss the days where rts games had speed sliders, there are console commands to slow down the speed to something more manageable. If you need it, let me know.

I use it in CoH and in DoW as well since its the same engine. I use the same type of control in WiC.

Now - the original CoH for SP was much better in my view because the storyline just sucked me in more. Not to mention there was more going on - on the map - that I could control and was realistic. The OF side uses alot of AI cheats - like spawning forces at specific places in the middle of the maps at various times. I have seen forces just POP into existence. On like the first map its realistic in that they parachute in - and often your vehicles will shoot them as they land. But in other maps stuff just spawns. Horrible. Also the AI uses static entry points for forces off map, or uses outside forces (scripted air strikes at critical juctions) to create havoc. In the original COH, that was only used once. In OF - flank spawns on map are common.

I don't mind an air strike at a strong point - thats realistic. But there are times where a scripted strike hits nothing just because you didn't place your forces where the script expected. Thats such a waste and ruins the immersion. Also - so do things like "the weather is too bad for the British to fly around and bomb us - Hurrah!" then a few minutes later "Oh they just landed a bunch of GLIDERS" everywhere...... yea powered aircraft cant fly - but freakin gliders could make it in. uhhuh - that killed my immersion factor.

Honestly - OF is worth it if you find it cheap for skirmish or perhaps multiplayer (though I only do skirmish) simply for the Panzer Elite. But it doesn't add enough in my eyes to make it worth more than maybe 15 bucks. The original CoH really was the better balanced game in my view.

Oh - AVG - once you get armor - you never go back to infantry. On alot of maps I just go witha couple of engineer groups, a couple of snipers (I love rank 3 snipers - infiltrate and put em on hold fire!) a couple of crocodiles, 1 calliope (if I get one at the start), one jeep and the rest standard shermans. Use the jeep simply to guard against enemy snipers, the engineers to keep your tanks repaired, the crocs for infantry killing, the calliope for long range demolition, and the armor to go pound in a bit, then consolidate and get repaired. But that is just my personal style. I would bet though that you will definitely get hooked on armor!

CaptHawkeye
04-24-09, 07:10 AM
I've seen guys beat late game armour swarms with just infantry and well placed ATGs. Especially the 88 and 17pdr. It's not the be-all, end-all way to end the game. You're especially f'ed if the enemy is using Rangers or Stormtroopers.

mr chris
04-24-09, 07:28 AM
AVG ive got the game have just playing through the missions again as i have just brought the tales of valour addon. If your up for a skirmish just drop me a line. Myself and Hunter a played quite a bit online its is good fun even if you pit yourself agaist very hard Cpu players:up:

Arclight
04-24-09, 07:32 AM
I've seen guys beat late game armour swarms with just infantry and well placed ATGs. Especially the 88 and 17pdr. It's not the be-all, end-all way to end the game. You're especially f'ed if the enemy is using Rangers or Stormtroopers.

Yep, tanks need support. Airstrike or paratroopers work well for this; if you run into resistance, drop some infantry to grenade AT guns or engage infantry. Strafing and bombing runs work well too, but are expensive.

AVGWarhawk
04-24-09, 09:10 AM
All, I will do the online skirmish for sure. It is a clever game. I have gotten past securing the roads from the beachs and have taken Cartanen. My next task is to hold the bridges. What a great game. I'm still on a learning curve and playing on easy mode. Finally figured out I could drag 88mm around:88). I spend a lot of time hitting the retreat button:shifty:. My daughters noticed the very colorful language my electronic men have. Taking down builidings with charges is fun. I love the bodies flying everywhere. Rally points was another thing I learned last night. Sometimes my engineers are not so bright. I asked to build a sand bag wall at the bridges. They build them but they are on the other side and cannot get off the bridge:shifty: I figured out how to get more men. I was busy taken on the entire German Army with two men with pop guns. Once I get more familiar with the game I will attempt a skirmish. :yeah:

AVGWarhawk
04-30-09, 10:36 AM
Man, took me some time to clear the road and work my squads. I would take a sector and the darn enemy would return. I used my engineers to make MG nests and bunkers. Then I posted rifle squads. It took me some time to build tanks. They are fun. It was probably 6 hours to complete this part of the invasion. Getting better though. There is a lot to learn with this game.

FIREWALL
04-30-09, 10:52 AM
@ AVG Just curious. Was this a store purchase or download ?

Arclight
04-30-09, 04:08 PM
Man, took me some time to clear the road and work my squads. I would take a sector and the darn enemy would return. I used my engineers to make MG nests and bunkers. Then I posted rifle squads. It took me some time to build tanks. They are fun. It was probably 6 hours to complete this part of the invasion. Getting better though. There is a lot to learn with this game.Create killing zones. :yep:

Find an open stretch of land the enemy has to or likely will cross (open implying no cover). Build a sandbag wall and put a rifle-squad behind it to do the killing. Put an MG nest on either end, or a nest and carried MG in cover behind the bags. The MGs will suppress and pin them down, while your infantry picks them off. Don't use explosives in the killing zone; it will create craters giving them cover.

If tanks come through there as well, put some tanktraps in front of the bags so the tanks dont roll through and destroy your cover. Put an AT-gun a little back to deal with the tank. Picking up AT weapons for the squad can help there, or use rangers/paratroops with recoilless rifles.

A jeep or sniper can extend the visual range, allowing you to open fire on them before they can fire back.

Not telling you what to do, just some tips. :D

Biggles
04-30-09, 04:11 PM
Finally figured out I could drag 88mm around:88).

WHAT!?

I had no idea you could do that, had the game since day one!:damn:

Or wait...did you mean like changing the direction of turret, or actually moving the ruddy thing?

Arclight
04-30-09, 04:31 PM
Think he meant the 57mm. :hmmm:

CaptainHaplo
04-30-09, 06:30 PM
I am replaying the original missions (and I went and got ToV and admit its better than I thought). I am on the hold/retake Carentan and just got my tanks.

This one mission - and the "defend the hill till daybreak" are the only 2 I really actively DISLIKE in the game. I just have an issue with arty that is deadeye accurate but that has no way to see me. Lacks realism.

I really like the last few missions though, more armor! My favorite has to be taking out the Tiger. The Calliope makes that mission GREAT!

AVGWarhawk
05-01-09, 11:25 AM
@ AVG Just curious. Was this a store purchase or download ?

Got it at Target for $13.98. Nice sale!

AVGWarhawk
05-01-09, 11:26 AM
WHAT!?

I had no idea you could do that, had the game since day one!:damn:

Or wait...did you mean like changing the direction of turret, or actually moving the ruddy thing?

57mm, my bad.

AVGWarhawk
05-01-09, 11:31 AM
Create killing zones. :yep:

Find an open stretch of land the enemy has to or likely will cross (open implying no cover). Build a sandbag wall and put a rifle-squad behind it to do the killing. Put an MG nest on either end, or a nest and carried MG in cover behind the bags. The MGs will suppress and pin them down, while your infantry picks them off. Don't use explosives in the killing zone; it will create craters giving them cover.

If tanks come through there as well, put some tanktraps in front of the bags so the tanks dont roll through and destroy your cover. Put an AT-gun a little back to deal with the tank. Picking up AT weapons for the squad can help there, or use rangers/paratroops with recoilless rifles.

A jeep or sniper can extend the visual range, allowing you to open fire on them before they can fire back.

Not telling you what to do, just some tips. :D

I have learned to do those things. They work great. I have to learn to pace myself. I take a piece of land then scurry to the next leaving no protection. I figured it was mine now and the enemy has to stay off. I was wrong. I did not know jeeps and sniper provide better visual range. That is good to know. Still learning as I go....lots of body bags:oops: Thanks for the tips. Very helpful!

CaptainHaplo
05-01-09, 05:30 PM
If your playing the single missions - remember that they often are divided into parts. Like Carentan. To maximize your survival, oten anticipate what your next goal will be, and set yourself up for it before completing the existing one.

Using Carentan as an example, clear the area EXCEPT for the center of town Go ahead and cross the bridges and capture those points. I even have gone so far as to build up munitions and do alot of mining and building of sandbag walls in the upper right corner in prep for the counterattack before ever taking the town square.

Other useful hints:

Build 2 snipers - use one "black" and holding fire - so he can't be seen. Use him as a spotter for your other sniper. A snipers range is longer than his sight initially (until he gets a promotion or 2). So having a sniper can mean easy infantry kills. Then, swap the 2 around so each gets promoted to L3.

Also - at L3 they can move normal speed while "infiltrated" - so they make great "whats out there" scouts as long as you don't let them get close to a patrol or vehicle. Great tool for finding those enemy AT guns.

Using Tanks. In open ground tanks rule. In cities, they are much more limited, but their toughness makes up for it in my view. Use greyhounds for anti-infantry support if needed, at least until you get Crocs. At that point - one or two Crocks are all the mobile anti-infantry forces you need. Still, always a good idea to upgrade with the .50cal when you can. Tanks are pretty good against everything.

Vs. Tanks - depending on your style, your either Tank vs Tank or Infantry vs. Tank. TvT is fairly obvious, but always have your tanks in pairs. This way one can provide the enemy a focus, while the other manuevers for a flank/rear shot. ALWAYS try for these - even with infantry anti-tank weapons. A rear hit will do extra damage. Nice touch.

One the Tiger Ace mission - do yourself one major favor. The first time he sorties - and maybe even the second - run an infantry squad out and use a sticky bomb. About half the time a Sticky Bomb goes off on a tank, it will damage (or destroy if damaged already) the engine. Slowing him to half speed (or a crawl) is a godsend in that mission if you want to complete the medal objective.

Don't try to head directly for an objective - take your time. The more methodical (though not static) you are, the better you can focus your forces.

AVGWarhawk
05-01-09, 09:48 PM
Thanks Capt! Let me ask you and the other players this question, how long do you let a single mission last? My last was around 6 hours of play. Do you really take the time to fortify your newly acquired land or do you run off to the next like me? I really do not know why I'm in such a hurry with the game. Do all suggest that when your base camp is established that building protection and buildings is the next step before heading out to take more territory? Is it my imagination or is there no down time were the enemy is not looking to hit one of your territories? It just seems constant. Man, even during the real thing there was a lull in the action sometimes.

CaptainHaplo
05-01-09, 11:45 PM
I rarely fortify with defense. Though a building on each point is a necessity. CoH is a game that really exemplifies why static defenses don't work well in real life.

Honestly, my style of play is more along the line of capture and hold with vehicles, scout to see where the weaknesses are (and where all the units that are attacking me are coming from!) and then use existing forces to either flank and raid, or assault.

SPOILER warning: Don't read then next parts if you don't want too much information on the Red Ball Express mission as an example. Skip to the bottom!

In this mission you start with 3 greyhounds, 3 shermans and 1 truck with an infantry squad. Take two tanks up to where Dog Company is holding out, and let them clear out the courtyard. The enemy doesn't yet have anti-armor in place, so move quick. This solves the immediate objective and gets you started with an HQ. When you have flushed the enemy, including a tank or 3, you get the Dog infantry and engineer squads. Keep them near the tanks, just behind is good.

Now, while your doing this initially, use your greyhounds to run up the left side of the map, almost to the church. You can suprise 2 or 3 anti-tank guns that are moving into position, and eradicate them without loss. If you wait, build a couple of snipers to spot and shoot as a team to clear that side. I strike quick and usually leave one greyhound up on the side to deal with any additional movements.

Once this is done, take one greyhound just east of the courtyard near the ammo point. Your last tank we didn't move, just put it close to your HQ to deal with any attacks. The last greyhound move back to your HQ for now.

You have likely had to fight off a couple of attacks against the courtyard - just use the engineers there to repair the tanks as needed, and the infantry to move up and take out any anti-tank guns that try and dislodge you. Still - the existing forces are enough to deal with the attacks. Use your truck and infantry to capture the point that is right next to the road where you started.

Now - take that greyhound thats at your HQ, and move it up near the one east of the courtyard. When a lull hits, use the infantry in the courtyard to capture that nearby point as well. Or use the infantry on the truck. If you have build a sniper or 2, have them go black and scout east of your base, finding the multiple AT guns waiting for you to charge east. But - your not going to. about halfway up - at the east side of the courtyard, move one greyhound east - but on the south side of the wall. Also take your truck, and capture the point there. Use the greyhound to circle up and around and hit the infantry in the "compound" from 2 directions with your greyhounds. Easy win. If you have to - run the vehicles to the courtyard for repair.

Now, while all this has been going on, occasionally check the HQ, keep the tank there repaired and build a tank depot. (Don't waste resources on the motorpool) Upgrade the greyhounds with side armor when you can. Move that third tank up to the entry of the courtyard - but keep it on the road to guard against the Panzers that are going to now be on the map.

Once they are upgraded and repaired, move back to where your infantry and truck is on the east, then head south. Remember all those anti-tank guns your sniper (s) found? Either snipe em dead or use your 2 greyhounds to head south along the east map edge. This brings you up behind all those tank guns. Hit em hard and fast, ignoring the non-panzershrek infantry. Once the anti tank guns and infantry are dead, nothing can hurt those greyhounds.

Having done this, use the greyhounds to clear buildings and let your snipers take opportunity shots - gaining stripes the whole time.

Once you have done this - you have cleared about half the map. Capture those sectors you just swept clean.

By doing this - you only have to worry about the rare spawn attacks from off map. Spread the greyhounds out in the "rear" areas so they can move wherever needed to put out fires, and build a few more tanks. Usually you can get 2 or 3 more. Move a couple of new ones to the east side of the map, right where the new "border front" is, along with your snipers.Use the snipers to explore and take out enemy infantry if you want, but you will soon find the enemy HQ and base. Use your snipers to circle it and clear out the anti tank guns both outside AND inside. Run a couple of tanks in and hit the building to the left of the entrance. This is the one that makes anti tank guns, so kill it first and fast. Use the snipers to take out any guns before they can turn to fire at you. A couple of tanks will respond, but move to a flank and pop smoke, your tanks will survive. At that point, again nothing can touch them except for new vehicles produced. Take the time you have to snipe the infantry on the ground, while the tanks clear the buildings. If needed , move an engineer squad in to repair and clear the enemy base. Use a sniper to clear the mortar team in the upper right corner.

Now - its a simple matter of hunt the panzers and clear the road. There are a couple of other bases, but nothing major. Head north from the enemy base that is now rubble with a couple of tanks, the snipers and engineers. Capture the point to the north, then scout west and slightly south. Panzers - again waiting for you to take the "direct" route. Hit em in the back and repair again. Do NOT take the central point.

Note that taking the base out also stops the attacks on the courtyard - so now you can shift those forces to offensive as well. The courtyard group can now move west and then north. Each group should have a flail sherman - clear mines, move a bit and repair after every skirmish. Every little ways up, detach a spare tank to cruise through the middle, clearing the base parts there. Also sweep to the sides of the map - you will find another couple of buildings on the west side. Clear em out. Then move north to the 2 last strategic points. Capture those, clearing the map. Now, you will get hammered with forces coming in from the northern roads, just rep your tanks, toss down your first "defensive" structures of a couple of MG bunkers - and finally take your crossroads point. At this time - just sit back and watch as the German counterattacks are chewed up and the Red Ball cruises by without loss.

SPOILER ENDED

Now - you may have to invest in a few extra engineer squads if you try this - at first at least. Once you get used to it, the idea of a "mobile defense" - you can get by with just a couple every mission. Sure you might have a few points get damaged while you send a response, but one spare group can be used to run around and repair those if needed.

This tactic keeps you from spending resources on static defenses until you can put them in areas where the enemy can't escape from. The defenses cost resources that are better used on units that can defend and attack and MOVE. If you have spare resources then ok toss whatever down you feel like, but your first task is to maximize what you can spend to take the fight to the enemy. A mobile defense that can switch to an offensive force is best for this.

Doing this, I can finish most missions without losing a single squad or vehicle in about 2 hours - playing at speed 3 instead of 9 or 10 or whatever the default is.

However, it should be noted that I will often sacrifice or suicide an infantry squad to free up my cap numbers. I'd rather have another tank on almost every map.... Not nice - but effective.

Good thing its just a game huh?

Note - on harder levels the idea of fortifying every sector just won't work. You get attacked too much to make it possible, by the time you could fortify 3 or 4 adequately, you would be overrun.

nikimcbee
05-21-09, 02:22 AM
Has anybody played the new installment of the game?

Dowly
05-21-09, 02:34 AM
Nein!

mr chris
05-21-09, 07:23 AM
Has anybody played the new installment of the game?

Gave it a whirl a week or so back.
But fiddled around with a few things on my pc and had to do a full reinstall of Vista.
Have not installed the game again yet.
Might have a look at it over the weekend if i get time.
It looked good but the 2 new campaigns are very short. The best thing about the add-on is the new modes of play for Multi player.

CaptainHaplo
05-21-09, 08:51 AM
Tales of Valour? Yes, it isn't nearly as "bad" as I expected - the changes are really minimal, though the new modes and such are not that great from my view. Its a ok expansion - but I wouldn't say worth more than about 10 bucks based on content. Thats just me though - I don't play multiplayer/online at all so some may have different views.

CaptHawkeye
05-21-09, 09:52 AM
I rarely fortify with defense. Though a building on each point is a necessity. CoH is a game that really exemplifies why static defenses don't work well in real life.

Considering the placement and very existence of things like the Maginot Line, Atlantic Wall, Siegfried Line, all had great strategic consequences on both allied and axis war planning during the 1940s, not so much.

How about the Japanese? They managed to turn every defensive island battle of the 1944-45 period into a ridiculously protracted siege thanks to cleverly designed emplacements and bunkers.

CaptainHaplo
05-23-09, 06:32 PM
CaptainHawkeye,

Your right, they did indeed. However, that was because the decision was made to take certain islands via force within a timeline.

Had the powers that be wanted, they could have simple blockaded their targets and let them wither on the vine, as many of the other islands in the empire were dealt with. No supplies coming through, no way to retreat, starvation serves as a great motivator for surrender.

Unfortunately for the fallen, many of the islands were taken on a timetable, because there was a larger plan in need of those unsinkable aircraft carriers......

Onkel Neal
07-15-09, 04:33 PM
Got Valor last week at the suggestion of McBee. I've taken the tutorial and played 5~7 skirmishes. It's a little frustrating. I can capture 3/4 of the control points (annihilation mode) but the enemy seems to have no problem throwing massive waves of troops and tanks back at me. I thought the more fuel and ammo control points you own, the faster you collect resources. Then why are the krauts able to outman me? :wah:

mr chris
07-16-09, 10:57 AM
Got Valor last week at the suggestion of McBee. I've taken the tutorial and played 5~7 skirmishes. It's a little frustrating. I can capture 3/4 of the control points (annihilation mode) but the enemy seems to have no problem throwing massive waves of troops and tanks back at me. I thought the more fuel and ammo control points you own, the faster you collect resources. Then why are the krauts able to outman me? :wah:

Good buy Neal i own all of the COH games.
When playing Skirmishes,
As soon as i capture the control points i fortify them as best i can. To hold off the enemy. So i can expand my HQ and build up a overwhelming force of high grade weaponry so i can hit the enemy hard in one huge blow to finish him off.

When you hold 3 of the 4 points the enemy will throw everything he has at you to dislodge your hold on at least two of them points. I have noticed though that the enemy does not seem to do this with any real attack of mass forces in a well planed attack but rather feeding in his forces piecemeal. Which can be easily held off and defeated. As long as you get the points well defended as fast as possible.

Onkel Neal
07-17-09, 01:57 AM
Thanks, Chris. I am still learning how to play it. Learned that fortifying the bases and ammo/fuel points gives you more resources faster. Still cannot figure out how to heal the soldiers... :hmmm:

HunterICX
07-17-09, 03:22 AM
Since if have the previous 2 installments of CoH
(CoH & CoH: Opposing Fronts)

I think I'll purchase this latest one as well soon.

HunterICX

nikimcbee
07-19-09, 03:01 PM
Thanks, Chris. I am still learning how to play it. Learned that fortifying the bases and ammo/fuel points gives you more resources faster. Still cannot figure out how to heal the soldiers... :hmmm:

Crap, he's been practicing:haha:

Arclight
07-20-09, 01:25 AM
This (http://www.gamereplays.org/companyofheroes/portals.php?show=page&name=totw_gen62) might be usefull. :salute:

JHuschke
08-05-09, 12:58 PM
When I first bought it (2008-2009) and played it few a few days...I was like damn! I should have bought this game around the time it came out! It is a great game, it's sad that we can't use any naval forces :(