PDA

View Full Version : Surprise! Its a baby

Spike88
04-17-09, 08:02 AM
A man in Michigan delivered his wife's baby with the help of 911 on the phone. The only thing is, no one knew she was pregnant. Apparently he just thought she was putting on weight since she stopped smoking.:o :rotfl:

Here's sources:
http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2009/04/dispatcher_helps_deliver_baby.html
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5j3zYhHZyaVlI6zQ2CzUn5WcerT7gD97JPJL04

Tchocky
04-17-09, 08:04 AM
Hey Bert, I was pregnant!

How thick do you have to be not to notice?
Wow.

Dowly
04-17-09, 08:08 AM
.......right :dead:

AVGWarhawk
04-17-09, 08:29 AM
You would be surprised Tchocky! My dad delivered quite a few in the ER that said soon to me mother did not know she was pregnant.

Once he told me one girl showed up with stomach pains. He listened to her heart which sounded fine and then he moved to the stomach area and found a second heartbeat going about 125 beats per minute:o. Baby born in about an hour....she was totally in the dark that she was pregnant.

SmithN23
04-17-09, 09:06 AM
Let me guess, the husband was away on business 9 months ago....:):)

This reminds me of a scene from Family Guy: http://www.hulu.com/watch/44458/family-guy-visiting-brenda#s-p115-st-i1

Schroeder
04-17-09, 09:28 AM
Baby born in about an hour....she was totally in the dark that she was pregnant.
So she did not wonder about that she hasn't had her period during the last 9 months?;)
I don't know either those girls are home schooled or there is something seriously wrong with the education system.
(or they didn't want to tell anybody about it until the baby was there)

AVGWarhawk
04-17-09, 09:32 AM
So she did not wonder about that she hasn't had her period during the last 9 months?;)
I don't know either those girls are home schooled or there is something seriously wrong with the education system.

Women can have their periods even while pregnant from my understanding. Also, some girls in early puberty will skip months for no particular reason. Girl gets pregnant and skips a period. Does not think twice about it because it happened previous to the pregnancy. . My wifes friends daughter had this when she was pregnant. She was not aware she was pregnant. She had no morning sickness. She was a heavy girl and any bulge for baby was not what I would call evident. It is entirely plausible she did not know.

Spike88
04-17-09, 09:44 AM
(or they didn't want to tell anybody about it until the baby was there)
My Fiancé has to take birth control or she doesn't get her period regularly, maybe this woman has irregular periods.

antikristuseke
04-17-09, 09:47 AM
9 months irregular?
Allso this is the first time I have heard someone mention that periods are possible during pregnancy, I am no gynecologist, but that does not seem feasible to me.

I am of the opinion that people this dense should not breed. either that or one of them is a liar.

But i could just be a cold hearted cynical bastard, who knows.

AVGWarhawk
04-17-09, 09:55 AM
We will go to the experts........women:D

http://womenshealth.about.com/b/2003/08/06/period-during-pregnancy.htm

Entirely plausible to have periods during pregnancy. Throw in a confused young girl who is afraid to ask and bang.....

antikristuseke
04-17-09, 10:05 AM
now that I did some light browsing after reading some material at the site you linked, I still stand by the position that periods during pregnancy are not plausible, however vaginal bleeding which could be mistaken for a period can, and do, take place in some cases.

http://www.pregnancy-info.net/comp_periods_pregnancy.html

AVGWarhawk
04-17-09, 10:08 AM
Well Jen said:

I had a full blown period on my second pregnancy for the first five months! Good Luck

Being Jen experienced this first hand and I'm a male who has not experienced a period physically but only take the rath of one from the wife...I will have to side with Jen and her observations. :O:

antikristuseke
04-17-09, 10:11 AM
I try not to put too much stock in to anecdotal evidence, thats why I am not done looking into this mater. Will see out what gynecologists and other doctors and\or scientists in relevant fields have to say.

Biology - serious business.

AVGWarhawk
04-17-09, 10:12 AM
Lets fly with this one and add a young girl to afraid to ask or was told that first few months of puberty the body can do strange things. Baby on the way:

One of the most common causes of period-like bleeding during pregnancy is called decidual bleeding. Sometimes, during pregnancy, your body’s hormones can get out of whack, causing you to lose parts of the lining of your uterus. This is especially common in the early stages of pregnancy, before the lining has completely attached to the placenta. While it can be troublesome to think about shedding part if your uterine lining, decidual bleeding is generally not thought to be a health threat to you or your baby.

So, this young girl just thinks things are out of whack. 5-6 months the bleeding stops. Ok, no problem, some women skip periods.

antikristuseke
04-17-09, 10:18 AM
As I said, bleeding can occur, but it is not a period as per definition. Admitedly I am being anal about this, but when it comes to definitions in what ever field of biology, it is very important for me to have things right.
Anyway, till I have done some more reading on this mater, this is all I have to say.

AVGWarhawk
04-17-09, 10:25 AM
I try not to put too much stock in to anecdotal evidence, thats why I am not done looking into this mater. Will see out what gynecologists and other doctors and\or scientists in relevant fields have to say.

Biology - serious business.

So, I bring you back to anecdotal evidence as you describe it. If this women believe she was having her period then in her mind she was. So, back to the original post, perhaps everything looked and felt normal to this girl yet she was pregnant.

Per definition of period, then yes, this is not in fact a period during pregnancy but it looks, feels and acts like one.

antikristuseke
04-17-09, 10:29 AM
Now that you put it this way, yes, I agree.
Personaly I blame the painkillers I am on for my general slowness right now, first day of physiotherapy on my knee. Felt more like torture:)

AVGWarhawk
04-17-09, 10:34 AM
As you said though...biology is serious business. :yeah: Did you bring enough of those pills for the rest of the class:O:

Arclight
04-17-09, 07:34 PM
Maybe it's because of the context here, but I must say I find that one a little tasteless, Jim. :hmmm:

bookworm_020
04-18-09, 12:52 AM
Maybe it's because of the context here, but I must say I find that one a little tasteless, Jim. :hmmm:

A little below the belt....

I'll leave now....:oops:

Platapus
04-18-09, 07:27 AM
There I was, no $hit,

in 1993, I was riding on a county squad as a bushy-tailed EMT-I. For non-Nebraskians,, Nebraska has three levels of EMT:

- EMT-A which is your basic EMT
- EMT-I (intermediate) which is an EMT that can do everything a Paramedic can do except for issuing medications and interpret cardio. From a practical viewpoint the “I” in EMT-I means IV and Intubations. LoL
- EMT-P Paramedic, the heros that save people's lives :)

Anyway, we get this medical call.

We roll out to this house where we have a woman about 35-40 years old, 130 pounds complaining of cramping and abdominal pain. Quick exam shows no trauma or any external signs of problems. Examination shows flat belly (you know where this story is going).

Well this is what we call an acute abdomen problem and our protocol is to transport. Not much we can do in the field but stabilize and make comfortable. We head to Midlands Hospital.

Midlands hospital has two emergency rooms. One for trauma/medical the other for obstetrics. (You know where this story is going right?)

As part of our patient history, we ask the lady if she could be pregnant. She says no. We ask her if she has been pregnant in the past. She says that yes she has three children. Ok we have a mother who is telling us that she can't be pregnant. I think it is reasonable to take the lady's word for this. She evidently knows what being pregnant means. We also ask her about her menstrual periods and she indicated that she has regular periods.

1. She was mistaken, as we learned later in the hospital her periods were regular in spacing, but not regular in ...uh... production of menses. (and no menses is not a bunch of smart nerdy guys)

2. It is possible for a woman to have “periods” during pregnancy. It is not possible for a woman to have her normal period (normal in all aspects) during pregnancy. Anyway back to our story...

So we have a woman with a painful tummy, not pregnant, “regular” periods. As we roll up to Midlands Hospital we naturally pull up to the trauma/Med ER and not the Obstetrics ER.

We transfer the patient and we are doing the obligatory paperwork, (EMS is 99% paperwork, 1% helping people).

The attending nurse is preparing the patient for examination. As she is helping the patient remove her underwear, the nurse gives a shout of astonishment as the baby is crowning!

We all quickly discovered a peculiarity about Midlands Hospital. Because there is a separate ER for Obstetrics and the hospital protocol is that any patient that is pregnant goes to the OB ER, that the Trauma/Med ER has NO OBSTETRICS EQUIPMENT AT ALL!!!!!

oops. Quite the logistical oversight!

As some of the staff was running to the OB ER and others were running for any other type of OB kit, yours truly was volunteered for leg holding and positioning duty. :salute:

The nurse delivered the baby the old fashioned way and quite successfully I might add (the success was solely due to my superior leg holding ability, I have to humbly admit). In any case enter one healthy baby and that's always a good thing.

Throughout the labor, the lady was screaming that she did not understand what was happening that she was not pregnant, where the hell is this baby coming from?

Three days later I was talking to the attending doctor and I asked her if it was possible for a woman to be nine months pregnant and truly not know it. The doctor told me “only in cases of severe denial”. This lady evidently did not want to be pregnant and thought that good thoughts would make it go away? How she could deny that water thing and why she did not mention this to the EMT's is still a mystery to me.

There are times when riding on the squads makes for an interesting evening.

Shortly after this, Midlands Hospital started including Obstetrics Kits and other equipment in the Tramua/Med ER.

Jimbuna
04-18-09, 08:21 AM
Post deleted....it was never intended to cause offence.

Arclight
04-18-09, 12:14 PM
Post deleted....it was never intended to cause offence.No biggy, if I had a quarter for everything I regret saying... ;)