PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hunter Survey! WTH?

onelifecrisis
04-15-09, 05:33 PM
I assume everyone just got the same email I did...

I've not seen such a survey done here before (I've been around here for well over a year) and I'm wondering what the survey is for? There are some curious questions on there, like "how would you rate SH3" which is difficult because how I'd rate it with GWX is very different to how I'd rate the stock game. And then there's this one:

Of the two games [SH3 and SH4] which would you say is technically superior?

My emphasis.
What a strange question!
Any idea what it means?

Pisces
04-15-09, 05:36 PM
Yep, same questions here. No idea. Just a wild guess crossed my mind. Is Neal maybe opting to start SH5 development on his own? And trying to get a feel for what we want.

Sharkley
04-15-09, 05:36 PM
I have no such email, who sent it ??

I am sure it is just to help grasp a better understanding subsim users and SH3 & SH4 players.

JU_88
04-15-09, 05:37 PM
I didnt get this email. you have a link for us deprived folk? Is this is an official Ubi survey? or a Subsim one?

Pisces
04-15-09, 05:41 PM
It's from Neal:

Ahoy Pisces!

Ok, it's time for a new survey of Silent Hunter players! It's a quick survey and it will help... you know, understand what SH players like.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=LPWbuVTB94LOKjipoiaxkg_3d_3d

Note: Do not reply to this e-mail, please. Enjoy the survey and get your oilskins ready.

Good hunting!
Neal
SUBSIM

onelifecrisis
04-15-09, 05:56 PM
I hear the GWX team reckon the SH4 engine is much more capable than the SH3 engine, so I answered "SH4" based on their judgement... but it still strikes me as a strange question, and I'm not sure I correctly understood what "technically" means.

Madox58
04-15-09, 06:06 PM
I believe there are some things better in the SH4 engine.
Some are also worse!

I did not answer the survey because it's to :-? for me.
But I also go way beyound just casual Game play.

I'd suggest another survey for Modders.
:up:

That would bring out the Gloves!
:haha:

Queens Rules then Mates!
:har:

AVGWarhawk
04-15-09, 07:05 PM
Perhaps the developers really want to get an idea from you, the player, the modder, the moaners in hopes SH5 can come out of the box in a great state of organization and content:06:

Just a thought.

HW3
04-15-09, 07:24 PM
I got one and filled it out. I figured Neal was collecting information for the SH5 developers.

:salute:

AVGWarhawk
04-15-09, 07:28 PM
I got one and filled it out. I figured Neal was collecting information for the SH5 developers.

:salute:

A sailor after me own heart:D:up:

Madox58
04-15-09, 07:36 PM
I don't believe I fall into the Moaners catagory.
:hmmm:

The Doers catagory yes.

The Survey is to limited for me to respond to in a way
that makes sense to me.

To actually answer it would require I fib or ignore how
the answers would be used.

Might be fine for most.
But won't cut the Mustard for me.

Any other slams?

UnterseeBoogeyMan
04-15-09, 07:42 PM
the survey was fair and geared toward people who played sh3 and sh4 and could compare the 2. If this is info gathering for SH5, I wouldn't mind a nice open-ended question such as "what (game features) would you like to see in the next SH release?" and limit responses to 500 words.

irish1958
04-15-09, 09:10 PM
I had some of the same responses as above. I don't like either/or questions. For example, the last question had you give one answer, when in truth, if several of the possible choices were not in the game, I wouldn't waste my time on it.

owner20071963
04-15-09, 09:54 PM
I believe there are some things better in the SH4 engine.
Some are also worse!

I did not answer the survey because it's to :-? for me.
But I also go way beyound just casual Game play.

I'd suggest another survey for Modders.

That would bring out the Gloves!

Queens Rules then Mates!
:har:

I Believe Neal is asking
Simple Questions,
Not Yet Surveyed on Ubisoft.com
As regarding Gloves there Privateer,
Is it not time All Modders Try become Friends,
Let stupid old Issues behind,
Its 2009,
Lets for Once Try get the
Whole Silent Hunter Community Together,
Act And Promote The Silent Hunter Series
As Adults,
Our next TeamSpeak Meet,
The Silent Hunter Modders,
Here will attend To Promote Their Mods,
Be it SH3 Or Sh4,
and help New players,
Every Modder Tries to Improve The Game,
Visually,
As In The AI?
that belongs to Dev Team who Created the game,
Maybe this time around,
The Dev Team need Our Ideas for SH5?
Maybe its just a Survey?
For Subsim?
Here is the Info for the Next Meet,

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=150302

owner20071963
04-15-09, 10:00 PM
Perhaps the developers really want to get an idea from you, the player, the modder, the moaners in hopes SH5 can come out of the box in a great state of organization and content:06:

Just a thought.

Spot on :up:

Task Force
04-15-09, 10:15 PM
I took it... would have been nice to put the last ones so you could give them #s on a scale of importance.

owner20071963
04-15-09, 10:31 PM
I don't believe I fall into the Moaners catagory.
:hmmm:

The Doers catagory yes.

The Survey is to limited for me to respond to in a way
that makes sense to me.

To actually answer it would require I fib or ignore how
the answers would be used.

Might be fine for most.
But won't cut the Mustard for me.

Any other slams?

Would You Answer the Questions
Live On TeamSpeak?

Here

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=150302

Or Here On The Subsim Calendar,

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=9&day=2009-4-19

Kpt. Lehmann
04-15-09, 11:12 PM
I completed it as well, but had a really hard time answering most of the questions for the same sort of reasons that OLC pointed out.

Subsim and/or Ubisoft isn't going to get reliable information unless they are more specific with their line of questioning.

What I mean specifically, is that they need to state whether or not they expect us to rate matters WITH or WITHOUT aftermarket mods.

LukeFF
04-16-09, 01:29 AM
Geez people, it's just a simple little survey. No need to make a big production about it. :roll:

Kpt. Lehmann
04-16-09, 01:44 AM
I completed it as well, but had a really hard time answering most of the questions for the same sort of reasons that OLC pointed out.

Subsim and/or Ubisoft isn't going to get reliable information unless they are more specific with their line of questioning.

What I mean specifically, is that they need to state whether or not they expect us to rate matters WITH or WITHOUT aftermarket mods.

Geez people, it's just a simple little survey. No need to make a big production about it. :roll:

< Pats LukeFF on the back... >

Congrats man. You've really shown your superior intelligence this time.

Now put your helmet back on and go back to licking the window. You missed a spot. :roll:

d@rk51d3
04-16-09, 02:14 AM

Just a thought.

My thoughts too. :03:

danlisa
04-16-09, 02:25 AM

Just a thought.My thoughts too. :03:

Then perhaps they'd be better reading the multitude of threads which discuss the personal requests of simmers here at Subsim.

No offense to Neal but the Survey was generic and lacked any specifics. Hell, with the answers I gave, Ubi could think that I want an eye candy, console based side scroller (if that was the intent of the survey).

Anyway, I based my answers on stock versions of both games, which actually means they both pretty much suck.

d@rk51d3
04-16-09, 02:31 AM
Yes, but most people here at Subsim (devs included) already know what we want, we've all bitched, moaned, argued, fought and separated over it for years now, so why make a survey of it?

But it is strange that it resurfaces now, and by Neals hand nonetheless.:06:

danlisa
04-16-09, 02:39 AM
But it is strange that it resurfaces now, and by Neals hand nonetheless.:06:

The average Texan, son, doesn't take a dump without a plan.:har:

Oneshot/Onekill
04-16-09, 03:15 AM
I answered it also. Although I found it very difficult to answer honestly. I just whish there would have been more room for self explanation on most of the questions asked. The only one I think that you could give self explanation on had something to do with how often do you play SH3 or SH4, and there was a line to give an explanation as to why.

Unfortunately looking back at my answers in hind sight I answered thinking of how well modded the game was. I wish I had taken danlisa's approach.:damn:

Nisgeis
04-16-09, 03:23 AM
Unfortunately, it's extremely difficult to write a survey that everyone will interpret in the same way. With a poorly written survey, everyone interprets the question differently and they all give an answer based on that question. What you end up with is a whole series of answers to in effect, lots of different questions, as if they'd all filled out different surveys. This obviously leads to skewed results, when those answers are reconciled with the original meaning the question writer had in mind.

JScones
04-16-09, 03:50 AM
I answered it also. Although I found it very difficult to answer honestly. I just whish there would have been more room for self explanation on most of the questions asked. The only one I think that you could give self explanation on had something to do with how often do you play SH3 or SH4, and there was a line to give an explanation as to why.

Unfortunately looking back at my answers in hind sight I answered thinking of how well modded the game was. I wish I had taken danlisa's approach.:damn:
Don't worry, I made the same mistake. I compared my experiences with a heavily modified SH3 against my experiences with stock SH4; the survey provided no context or guidance.

Anyway there was a comment field somewhere and that's where I placed my ultimate problem with SH4, which is fundamentally what I hope (and expect) not to happen with SH5.

onelifecrisis
04-16-09, 03:54 AM

But... we don't get out much... and this survey, well it's all new and shiny...

makman94
04-16-09, 04:50 AM
well, my opinion is that Neal must say first what purpose this survey is servicing and then ask to fill it.

martes86
04-16-09, 05:02 AM

Now put your helmet back on and go back to licking the window. You missed a spot. :roll:

:nope:

With regards to the survey (the actual topic), I gladly answered, I'm happy that we get asked about our opinions, no matter the questions. I put "Very Important" in a lot of spots, but, it's good to be taken into account anyway. And so should be glad anyone else, as the opposite is being ignored by the developer. So, be it badly or well written, the survey is very welcome.

Cheers

Hitman
04-16-09, 07:24 AM
Smells like a SH5 survey under cover to me :D

Onkel Neal
04-16-09, 07:44 AM

Let's not turn this into a flame war, Kap, ok? :-?

Thanks to all who took a minute to fill out the survey :up:

No offense to Neal but the Survey was generic and lacked any specifics.

No problem. The line of questioning is structured to collect unbiased results about the two SH games, not modded SH games. If you want to deliver a specific response, just send an e-mail. :03:

cheers
Neal

AVGWarhawk
04-16-09, 07:52 AM
Then perhaps they'd be better reading the multitude of threads which discuss the personal requests of simmers here at Subsim.

No offense to Neal but the Survey was generic and lacked any specifics. Hell, with the answers I gave, Ubi could think that I want an eye candy, console based side scroller (if that was the intent of the survey).

Anyway, I based my answers on stock versions of both games, which actually means they both pretty much suck.

Absolutely...answer on the stock games. I believe that was the idea. Some questions were very general but all the same one just has to answer to the best of their ability. For the most part, the first thing that pops into your mind is usually the one best answer. If one starts to ask questions about the survey question all is lost on 'what ifs.' I would not say that any of the two games 'suck'. Straight out of the box (bugs not withstanding) both were good. Good enough for the gears in your imagination(and plenty of others) to start cranking out improvements and not just for a few months but years of work on it. If the stock game had enough pull to do that then IMO I think more credit then 'suck' is due. But as surveys are supposed to do....help with improvements so the 'suck' factor is not the first thing that pops into anyone's mind. But, more importantly you answered the survey and that is great!:yeah:

danlisa
04-16-09, 07:53 AM
The line of questioning is structured to collect unbiased results about the two SH games, not modded SH games.
Neal

That's cool then.

Unlike me :smug:, I suspect many will have answered based on their modded preference. Perhaps a small note at the start of the survey?

Ooh, and UNBIASED, are you kidding?:rotfl:

AVGWarhawk
04-16-09, 07:56 AM
The average Texan, son, doesn't take a dump without a plan.:har:

Our a good book or magazine:har:

danlisa
04-16-09, 07:58 AM
Good enough for the gears in your imagination(and plenty of others) to start cranking out improvements and not just for a few months but years of work on it. If the stock game had enough pull to do that then IMO I think more credit then 'suck' is due. But as surveys are supposed to do....help with improvements so the 'suck' factor is not the first thing that pops into anyone's mind.

That's true, perhaps I was too strong using 'suck' maybe 'poor' would have been better.

My personal findings about both SH3 & SH4's stock versions were such that I completed about 3 patrols in each before I went looking for realism improvements etc. I expect a simulation to be accurate, not arcadish.

Alex
04-16-09, 08:04 AM
That's cool then.

Unlike me :smug:, I suspect many will have answered based on their modded preference. Perhaps a small note at the start of the survey?

Made the same mistake... :oops:

AVGWarhawk
04-16-09, 08:13 AM
That's true, perhaps I was too strong using 'suck' maybe 'poor' would have been better.

My personal findings about both SH3 & SH4's stock versions were such that I completed about 3 patrols in each before I went looking for realism improvements etc. I expect a simulation to be accurate, not arcadish.

I to want accuracy and not arcadish but games being what they are and players being who they are the demographics that the game must please for sales is huge. With that in mind, a game such as SH is introduced in a arcadish fashion to attrack the arcade type players but the key to the lock(well most of it) is offered for persons such as yourself that say wow cool game really arcadish but wait look at all these wonderful files let me see what I can do...bam...supermods of accuracy! So, in essence, the marketing folks just got a larger piece of the pie allowing aracade play and allowing files to be modded like mad. It is the best of both worlds for all involved.

Personally, SH3 to me was cool out of the box but was on the shelf after 3 months....I loaded it after about a year of not playing and then found GWX 1.?. That is all she wrote! Played if for a long time as a result. :yeah:

irish1958
04-16-09, 09:28 AM
Made the same mistake... :oops:

So did I. What I really wanted to say was that if the game couldn't be modeled into something like GWX, I would neither play or purchase it.

nfitzsimmons
04-16-09, 09:56 AM
So did I. What I really wanted to say was that if the game couldn't be modeled into something like GWX, I would neither play or purchase it.

I agree. I play mostly SH3 because of GWX. when GWX 4 becomes available...

_Seth_
04-16-09, 09:58 AM
No need to get naughty, fellows...Let's keep this one clean. Please..? Nothing to get totally wack-a-doodle over.. (Is wack-a-doodle a word, btw..?) :hmmm:

ReallyDedPoet
04-16-09, 10:00 AM
I just like that the game can be modded period, in all aspects. That and the realism settings ( especially in the beginning ) have made the SH experience for me an enjoyable one.

danlisa
04-16-09, 10:04 AM
(Is wack-a-doodle a word, btw..?) :hmmm:

Hey mate!:yeah: Check this out.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wack-a-doodle

_Seth_
04-16-09, 10:25 AM
Hey mate!:yeah: Check this out.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wack-a-doodle
:up: Nice!

Onkel Neal
04-16-09, 11:20 AM
Your wish is my command!

Supplement to the SH Survey (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=150720)

Danke!
Neal

Sailor Steve
04-16-09, 12:08 PM
I didn't have any problem - just took it at face value. Questions were asked about SH3 and SH4. My only complaint is the "What attracts you most" question at the end. None of the answers were what I would give, and "Other" wasn't clickable as an option, so I had to click one I didn't mean.

I don't compare modded SH3 to unmodded SH4. I use SH4 with RFB and RSRDC, and like it fine.

Contact
04-16-09, 12:11 PM
I didn't have any problem - just took it at face value. Questions were asked about SH3 and SH4. My only complaint is the "What attracts you most" question at the end. None of the answers were what I would give, and "Other" wasn't clickable as an option, so I had to click one I didn't mean.

I don't compare modded SH3 to unmodded SH4. I use SH4 with RFB and RSRDC, and like it fine.

Somebody just raped you with that question :har:

Must be Neals work :yep:

Sailor Steve
04-16-09, 12:15 PM
Somebody just raped you with that question :har:
No, I may not have liked it, but I was a willing participant.
:rotfl:

Carotio
04-16-09, 12:47 PM
I answered the survey with the stock game as guide line, but with mods in mind, meaning that they were okay from start but improved over time, because of the option of mod-ability.

I liked the question of how many completed careers :D
Still not a single one in either SH3 or SH4 :rotfl:

Either new exciting mods turned up, so I couldn't complete/continue the current career or otherwise, well, I don't have too much time to play sometimes, so it's some long patrols, when I finally play.

And SH3 has been put of the shelf for more than a year, but when I get the time, I'll will take it out for a patrol again with the new Living Silent Hunter 3 version 4 :yep:

Jimbuna
04-16-09, 02:39 PM
No, I may not have liked it, but I was a willing participant.
:rotfl:

So my suspicions were right :hmmm:

:O:

Oneshot/Onekill
04-17-09, 06:04 AM
I want a do over on my survey Neal.:rotfl:

danurve
04-17-09, 09:52 AM
I answered the survey because I was a little bored and drunk at the time.
But I tried to be honest.:arrgh!:

Murr44
04-17-09, 01:29 PM
So that's what that email was about. To be honest I deleted it without opening it. I didn't trust the thing & I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I only have SH3 so I can't comment on 4. I played stock SH3 until I got sick of the bugs & limitations present in it. Put it away for a while until I found out about GWX.

It would be nice that if/when SH5 comes out the developers could take a page from the GWX team and include some of the improvements found in that mod. I'm not holding my breath waiting for 5 though. With GWX & SH3 Commander installed I figure that I have several years of playing SH3 before it gets to be old hat.

Bent Periscope
05-01-09, 01:30 PM
I never got the email.

BP