PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference between 128something time compression and 2048+?

Lt.Fillipidis
04-12-09, 05:19 AM
Besides time itself of course! :O:
I read that many people dont get past 128 time compression.
Why's that? It took me ages to get from France to US coast before i installed SH3Cmdr, how could someone do it in 128TC?

I've noticed that the weather gets as bad as heck when i sail for a day or two in 4k TC but it turns good if i sail on low TC for some hours.
Anything else?

Contact
04-12-09, 05:25 AM
:haha: Why are you so surprised, some folks do a real time patrols. That's a dedication and self sacrifice to the game :up: You have to have loads of time and balls for patience to do something like that.
Respect for all RL Kaleuns! :)

onelifecrisis
04-12-09, 05:29 AM
I read that many people dont get past 128 time compression. Why's that?

512 or higher causes you to be all but invisible to air patrols, so some people use 256 or even 128 (so that they're not "cheating").

nikbear
04-12-09, 05:38 AM
The only time I go above 128tc is If I'm crossing the atlantic and even then not above 256,otherwise as OLC mentioned you are almost invisible to planes and if you are submerged you miss out on loads of contact's or so I'm told.A patrol might take me from 10am to gone 11pm but at least it gives some impression of a long patrol without going to the extreme of a 1tc patrol:yeah:

Contact
04-12-09, 05:59 AM
512 or higher causes you to be all but invisible to air patrols, so some people use 256 or even 128 (so that they're not "cheating").

Wow that's a surprise for me. I really didn't knew about the invisibility thing :hmmm:

Pisces
04-12-09, 12:08 PM
Wow that's a surprise for me. I really didn't knew about the invisibility thing :hmmm:I suspect you misunderstood him. OLC meant air units find it very easy to find you when you go higher than 512 time compression. Or we seem to have less time to avoid their attack once they get a scent on us..

gigel_escu
04-12-09, 03:23 PM
It is for real. I am very upset for nothing:D. If you run above 128 you can find face to face with a destroyer, like me. It is not a good ideea, my watchman didn't see the destroyer at great time compression until... : "we taking damage" boot beschädigt I think.

gordonmull
04-12-09, 04:42 PM
This was posted by Letum some time ago and is the best explaination of how TC affects detection I have seen. Hope it helps + cheers Letum for the simple explaination for my simple mind!

Aircraft spawn at high TC, the problem is that they miss the player. Here's the maths:

Units (Planes, ships, etc.) in the 3d world around the players boat have their positions calculated in real time. This does not change with TC settings.

Units Outside of the 3d world (about 32km away from your boat) units do not have their positions calculated in real time to save on CPU. It would be impossible to calculate the position of every single convoy, destroyer and plane constantly.

Insted the game works from the 2d map that mod makers will be familiar with. The game only updates a units position every "time step". If the unit's position falls within the 3d world round the u-boat the game will begin to calculate it in real time.

If it was possible to see a unit outside the 3d world you would see it move in jumps every time step. When you speed up TC these time steps do not speed up. This mean that the jumps these units make gets bigger.

If the time step happens every second, a aeroplane is moving at 1m per second will jump 1m every time step at 1xTC. At 2xTC it will jump 2m per time step. At x1024 TC it will jump 1024m. (numbers not accurate - I don't know how oftern the time steps are!)

The faster the unit's speed: The bigger the jumps are.
The higher the TC: the bigger the jumps are.

For a fast unit like a aeroplane the jumps get very big at high TC and the aeroplane can jump right past the 32km radius round the player's boat. Alto the planes path went right past the U-Boat, the computer never calculated it's position to be near the u-boat so the plane never got placed in the 3d world.
The computer and the player have no idea that a plane just passed them.

See this diagram. Each red dot represents a single position the aircraft was calculated to be in. The Yellow circle is the 3d world round the players u-boat.
http://www.b3tards.com/u/57a418c694bc7c6296b3/hightc2.jpg

link: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=102635&highlight=time+compression

Sharkley
04-12-09, 09:30 PM
The common TC's I use are the following:

128 Heading out to patrol with no contacts (depends on area and date)

256 Heading in from patrol with no ocntacts (depends on area and date)

8 Moving to or away from a contact I have no interest in (friendly / neutral)

As soon as I even think there is gonna be trouble I play at normal speed

So far this setup has worked well for me and I have yet to run into trouble using TC and not detecting target or being detected. :ping:

Sailor Steve
04-13-09, 11:40 AM
I suspect you misunderstood him. OLC meant air units find it very easy to find you when you go higher than 512 time compression. Or we seem to have less time to avoid their attack once they get a scent on us..
No, he said "invisible" and he meant "invisible". I never got attacked once at high time compressions. It's an old, oft-reported phenomenon, going back to the first days of the game.

Contact
04-13-09, 11:46 AM
If it's right it leads to a conclusion that I unknowingly cheated on RAF every time I switched to 512 TC on my patrols :nope:

Darn.. this woun't happen again! :stare:

Jimbuna
04-13-09, 02:38 PM
The maximum tc that should be used so as not to adversely effect the game regarding air contacts (proven repeatedly during thousands of hours of game testing)was found to be 128, for reasons as pointed out/confirmed by Letum.

Stiebler
04-14-09, 03:30 AM
High time compression (tc) also becomes an issue in very bad weather.

If you are cruising along at 1024 tc in fine weather, then you can expect to sight an enemy before he comes too close.

If you cruise at 1024 tc in heavy storms/thick fog, then your U-boat can actually jump (with its time hops) into an invisible ship (such as a merchant) without any warning at all. Suddenly you are sunk 'by collision' without ever having seen anything! You probably did not even notice that the weather had gone from good to bad, since no warning is given of a change to bad visibility by the imbecile watch crew (a defect with the original game). I wonder what the 'Dead-is-dead' guys do when this kind of collision happens, since it would be impossible in real life?

Stiebler.

Dowly
04-14-09, 03:34 AM
I wonder what the 'Dead-is-dead' guys do when this kind of collision happens, since it would be impossible in real life?

They do what every DiD player does; hit load and hope no one sees it. :har:

HunterICX
04-14-09, 04:46 AM
They do what every DiD player does; hit load and hope no one sees it. :har:

:haha: and feel justified to do that because they think ''the game killed me as it SHOULD have seen that object! not my fault!''

HunterICX

Mittelwaechter
04-14-09, 06:13 AM
Judging others by one's own standards some fail to consider there are fair and decent people out there too! :DL

Sailor Steve
04-14-09, 11:20 AM
:haha: and feel justified to do that because they think ''the game killed me as it SHOULD have seen that object! not my fault!''

HunterICX
That's exactly right! If I load a saved game and for some reason it runs me aground, I can go back to a previous save if I want to!

And I never use the external view to cheat!

No, I don't!

DO NOT!

Actually the above are all true, which is why it's so funny. Go Dowly! Go Hunter!:rock:

RoaldLarsen
04-14-09, 11:33 AM
If I crash into something because I am running at high TC, I consider that to be my own carelessness, not a fault of the game, so that career is Dead. Only happened once.