PDA

View Full Version : Help please re: strange situation

Nemo121
04-11-09, 06:37 AM
Disclaimer: I'm on my first patrol of SH4 so this may be something really obvious which I'm just not aware of...

I went into Tokyo Bay and have sunk 2 CAs, 3 merchant ships, a tanker and a tug boat in a night. I have decided to get out of dodge and so am running away on the surface. I have fuel and battery power. The problem is i've taken a bit of damage in a gun duel with a merchant vessel and the pressure hull is leaking a little ( mostly in the forward torpedo room ) and a little in the engine room.

NONE of the components of the port and starboard engines or batteries are shown to be damaged in the damage control screen but whenever I try to order a speed or course change the crew says "Cannot comply". When I go to crew management it appears that 90% of my crew ( including damage repair ) is asleep. I can fix that by assigning a few new guys to damage repair.

I thought that I would solve the problem by bottoming out and sitting on the ocean floor resting and repairing throughout the day ( it is about 6 am ) as the ocean is only about 210 feet deep here and my pressure hull is only about 30% damaged BUT when I went down to 210 feet I got a horrendous number of damage messages ( as though I'd crashed into the ocean floor at full tilt ).

So,
1. What am I not realising about my engines and their running? Is it simply that my entire crew is asleep so no-on is awake to run the engines?

2. How on earth can I settle to the sea floor without incurring even more damage?

Oh, I'm using TM 1.7 with RSRD and 85% realism ( Iwanted the external cams etc for fun ).

John Channing
04-11-09, 06:48 AM
You appear to have left your crew at Battle Stations. If you do this they will become exhausted and fall asleep. Take them off ("B" key), let them rest, repair the damage and get out quietly.

JCC

Morpheus
04-11-09, 08:15 AM
go submerged and let them sleep for a while :D

MonTana_Prussian
04-11-09, 08:18 AM
Yes,it appears your crew is exhausted. You need to secure from Battle Stations.

Webster
04-11-09, 06:39 PM
think of battle stations as tho you were running, you cant do it for long without getting very tired so only use battle stations during attacks and turn it off as soon as possible to avoid tired and slow responding crews

Lord Kelvin
04-11-09, 08:53 PM
Heh, more often than not I run without Battle Stations than with, for the simple fact that I'm afraid that I'll forget it and screw them over. And I don't need it unless I somehow run into some sort of massive blunder, or need a battle reload. Besides, I'm not the slave-driving type of captain, I let my crew relax most of the time :yep:

Akula4745
04-11-09, 09:01 PM
I agree with Lord Kelvin... only when I need quick action do I go to battle stations. Now silent running is a different story... LOL

Akula 4745

MonTana_Prussian
04-11-09, 09:08 PM
I only use Battle Stations when under attack,to help with possible repairs. Better safe than sorry!:D