PDA

View Full Version : Windows Defender ~n~ Vista

longam
04-06-09, 03:50 PM
For the longest time Windows Defender which is included with Vista has never gave me any grief. I have ran my own spyware program along side it with no problem.

And presto! now WD wants to block my program every time I boot.

Tried shutting down the program by selections in the options and it say it is turned off, boot up and there it is blocking again.

Removed the check from msconfig, reboot, same.

You can't uninstall this program from Vista - Why?

Common MS - some of us are smart enough to protect our own systems grrrrrr...

Any body find a way to get this freak program out of the way?

AVGWarhawk
04-06-09, 07:09 PM
Mine is set up to scan at 0200 on Sunday. Basically when I'm asleep and the computer is turned off. I run Avast...the freebie program with antivirus and other goodies. No conflict with Defender. Once in a blue moon I run Defender to see if it comes up with anything. I think I shut if off from loading using MSconfig and the start up tab.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/31d797aa-091d-4d67-a556-dbfaf21bf0dc1033.mspx

Also, I use Ausilogic for my defrag and registry defrag. No conflicts.

longam
04-07-09, 06:09 AM
Guess I'll have to try a repair, nothing fixes the problem or shuts down the program.

AVGWarhawk
04-07-09, 10:23 AM
What version of Vista do you have?

longam
04-07-09, 01:45 PM
Vista Ultimate

FIREWALL
04-07-09, 01:50 PM
I run Avast also with Vista Ultimate 64 without a hitch.

I think I got it from you AVG. :salute:

I also run it on XP as I run a dual-boot system.

AVGWarhawk
04-07-09, 02:01 PM
Strange you can not do what you need with it. Like Firewall said, Avast works very well with Vista 64. FREE:D also. I came close to getting the PC1 Care which is payware. After using it for 30 days I only found it does your defrag for you and cleans up internet clutter. A great program for those that do not really understand keeping your computers house in order....such as my folks. I dumped that and got Avast. It is quite good. Visual and audio warnings if a virus is detected. Visual and audio when you are updated. Contains spyware protection. Small foot print. Some people like AVG which is free but reading up on Avast I found it was a bit better. The only issue I had with Avast was a firewall issue. I would get the warning about my firewall and having windows monitor my firewall, I had to check no and that I would monitor it. No big deal.

longam
04-07-09, 02:02 PM
Ya no problem running Avast, its my spyware doctor from PCTools that all of a sudden Defender thinks it should block. Its wouldn't be so bad if there was a place I could check to remember its ok to run.

It just has me wondering why block it now.

AVGWarhawk
04-07-09, 02:08 PM
Odd for sure. Probably an update on Defender that now says your spyware sucks.

Avast has spyware, why run a second?

FIREWALL
04-07-09, 02:11 PM
I should clarify. I like Avast better than AVG.

Not AVGWarhawk. :har:

longam
04-07-09, 07:09 PM
Odd for sure. Probably an update on Defender that now says your spyware sucks.

Avast has spyware, why run a second?

I have never seen a combo AV and Spyware that really does a good job at removing spyware. Even the commercial version at work misses so much, I run a third party version on the Server to clean whats left.

I'll get it fixed soon....