PDA

View Full Version : Who has the oldest daily computer?

Onkel Neal
03-10-09, 12:37 AM
:shucks: Ok, this only counts for desktops, it has to be the newest PC you own, the one you use to play games. How old is your newest computer?

Not counting my laptop, my gaming PC is (as mentioned in previous threads) a Gateway 500X, bought Sept. 10, 2002! It has the original P4 2.4Ghz CPU, upgraded to 1GB RAM, upgraded to a 500w PSU, Radeon X1650, and three additional hard drives--the original internal 75GB drive that I had to move to slave after a Windows corruption, the 120GB I made master to run the OS, and two external drives, 500GB and 1TB.

Yeah, top that! (By top that, you will be proving how desperately poor you are or how stingy you are with money. I'm both, ha!)

Now, don't bother bragging about the 486 you have on the side running a mail server, or something like that. Only your newest daily computer counts. Pictures for extra credit. Of course, by this time next week, I will no longer be running a 6 1/2 year old PC :O: and will be out of the running.

Neal

Onkel Neal
03-10-09, 03:13 PM
Eh? everyone out there is running new stuff? :o

Sailor Steve
03-10-09, 03:15 PM
Mine's only from 2005, but it still has its AGP graphics slot, which means I can't get a great new card to play SH4 on. I know they make new AGP cards, but I can't afford them, so there!

silentrunner
03-10-09, 03:20 PM
Mines still pretty new from late 07

Zachstar
03-10-09, 03:23 PM
Mine's only from 2005, but it still has its AGP graphics slot, which means I can't get a great new card to play SH4 on. I know they make new AGP cards, but I can't afford them, so there!

How about considering a new mobo?

Thomen
03-10-09, 03:24 PM
Eh? everyone out there is running new stuff? :o

My Wife uses my old box as a secondary PC. P4 2.4 Ghz, 2GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (AGP), Soundlaster Live!.

Can't really remember when I bought this thing. But I think somewhere around 2002.

AVGWarhawk
03-10-09, 03:29 PM
My old one is from 2005. AU31 AGP motherboard. My daughters use it now.

Sailor Steve
03-10-09, 03:59 PM
How about considering a new mobo?
Considering a lot of things. No money to buy them with, though.

Wolfehunter
03-10-09, 04:01 PM
Dell XPS 730 4 months old :03: Now heavily modified thanks to me...:O:

longam
03-10-09, 04:06 PM
Mine is still doing ok.....

http://www.vintage-computer.com/images/heathet3100.jpg

Naw, still have the P4 running for my daughter and she is gaming just fine on it.

AkbarGulag
03-10-09, 07:02 PM
Still used a 'Commodore 128D' for games like 'Darkhorn' 'Defender of the Crown' and 'War of the Lance' until the disk drive crapped out 6 months ago. Even have a 'Freezeframe' cheatcode card for that :arrgh!:

Now run those games on emulator software for the PC.

Also just retired an 'Intel 850' RD-ram board.

Turned the Abit-IC7-Max3 2.8 gig into a home data server, it hosts 2 terabytes of movies atm, with room for 3 more Sata drives, and has gigabit LAN, so works on the home network like a dream. Kinda glad, as the 30kg double sided case it resides in, that once housed an old scuzzy raid server was a PITA to haul from Lan to Lan :timeout:

NeonSamurai
03-10-09, 07:41 PM
The desktop i had been using before i got my laptop (which i use to game) was an athlon xp 1700 with 2 gigs of ram, when i got it was early 2002, the rest of the machine was 12 years old (i rebuilt it as it originally had an athlon 700 or something), other then when i had to replace the video card a year ago when it died. Oh and I was able to get Crysis to run on it (it's frame rate was single digit during the last battle but otherwise ok) and beat it.

Since that is my only desktop I guess in the lead so far... yay...

Now if you want to talk really old computer, i still got a working Texas Insturments TI99/4A which goes back to 1981.

Onkel Neal
03-10-09, 08:08 PM
So, so far, I'm the guy who runs the website, and I'm running the crappiest machine? Man, that sure makes me look bad. :har:

SUBMAN1
03-10-09, 08:42 PM
So, so far, I'm the guy who runs the website, and I'm running the crappiest machine? Man, that sure makes me look bad. :har:It would be hard to compete when you already broke your own rule - the laptop you have is better than your desktop.

Anyway, I could probably produce a pretty old machine for this competition, but I can't due to all the other machines I have! :D I can see a P133 from this keyboard that is operational and has Windows 98 on it!

-S

Onkel Neal
03-10-09, 10:32 PM
So, so far, I'm the guy who runs the website, and I'm running the crappiest machine? Man, that sure makes me look bad. :har:It would be hard to compete when you already broke your own rule - the laptop you have is better than your desktop.

Anyway, I could probably produce a pretty old machine for this competition, but I can't due to all the other machines I have! :D I can see a P133 from this keyboard that is operational and has Windows 98 on it!

-S

Eh? The rule was this only counts for desktops

So, what is your newest desktop? I have several older machines too but my newest destop is... a 2002 model. :cool:

NeonSamurai
03-10-09, 10:39 PM
So, so far, I'm the guy who runs the website, and I'm running the crappiest machine? Man, that sure makes me look bad. :har:

Nope I do technically :P Especially as I'm still currently using it as a gaming machine (Haven't got everything yet so i can use my laptop as my desktop replacement). Heck I'm using it right now in fact.

Why I'm fighting for this dubious honor I'll never know.

Onkel Neal
03-10-09, 10:41 PM

Nope I do technically :P Especially as I'm still currently using it as a gaming machine (Haven't got everything yet so i can use my laptop as my desktop replacement). Heck I'm using it right now in fact.

Why I'm fighting for this dubious honor I'll never know.

The glory!:salute:

NeonSamurai
03-10-09, 10:50 PM
Ah yes the glory of being a poor student :DL

Btw the athlon xp 1700 is 1.4 ghz (its supposed to equal a 1.7 Pentium though)

SteveW1
03-11-09, 12:27 AM
I have a Celeron 3ghz machine with an old 7300 AGP card in it 40 gig HD, 2 gig of ram just put an old dvd drive into it to play SH3 on it.

Steve

kiwi_2005
03-11-09, 02:20 AM
Du core 3.2ghz
3gigs ram
7800GTX 256 ram
250gig hd
onboard sound card
Dual install OS Winxp / Vista Ultimate

Starting to have trouble with latest games, but im not in a hurry to upgrade she does ok with the games i play I don't go out there and grab every new game that comes out like i use too with Fallout 3 being the last new game. I'm moving myself away from the reason that to be up there with all the latest games you practically have to upgrade your pc every 6months or so. I aim to do my next major upgrade in 3 or 4 yrs from now. Or if SH5 come outs before then i most likely will upgrade if have too :)

Favourite PC is an older type we use mainly to browse the internet when main one is in use & play old games like Homeworld, SH2, Rune: Halls of Vahalla <--- excellent lan/internet game. 2.2ghz Celeron! 256 ram, GF6200 256 gfx onboard sound card. :rock:I dont know why, its a crappy pc but ive taken a liking to it :roll:

danlisa
03-11-09, 03:44 AM
Meh, I could win this easily but it's a Triggers Broom sort of thing.;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSmSTpRUeLs

Onkel Neal
03-11-09, 09:35 AM
Haha, that's excellent. :haha:

joea
03-11-09, 10:01 AM
I will check when I get home, but I may at least tie with Neal as I got my current system about the time I joined subsim. :D

Slang
03-11-09, 01:16 PM
My only machine since 2002. (Not entirely sure of the year).

Athlon XP 1800+ (runs at 1.5 GHz).

512 Mb ram (upgraded to 1 Gig a few years ago).

75 GB 7200 rpm HD (I've added another old 25 Gig I had laying around).

Radeon 9800Pro 256Mb (Not the original AGP card. I forget what it was. Something Nvidia).

Onboard Sound

Windows 2000 Professional.

Over the years I've taken steps to keep this system clear of any bloat, and it still runs exceptionally well. (Only 23 proccesses running when computer is idle, 3 of those are system watchdogs).

It can run SH3 + GWX, IL2 Pacific Fighters, BOBII, Rome TW with Europa Barbarorum. Also, suprisingly to me, It ran SH4 and FEAR without any real problems.

Its a good machine.

NealT
03-12-09, 01:57 PM
I think I may have you beat. Mine is a homebuilt, as all of mine have been since my Commodore 64 days. I cannot find my receipts to determine the exact date...but the current system I have (and have had) started running with Win98 around 1999-2000. As I recall, I put it together when DDR memory was first coming out. It has a 2.0 Gig processor, maxed out at 2 Gig of memory and the original hard drive is only 32 Gig. I have replaced the power supply once since then, and upgraded the OS to Win XP Pro. It was 'top of the line' with a fast 4x AGP slot. I can actually run some of the newer games because my kids for Xmas bought me a wierd AGP card from ATI that actually has more memory now then the entire computer had when I put it together. (I started the computer out at 256meg). I had to replace the MOBO once but it was so long ago now I don't remember.

The case receipt goes back to December 1999.

I want a new one so bad...but since most of what I plan is online and I can run SH3 and SH4 just fine with it, my wife just won't let me.

Onkel Neal
03-12-09, 03:16 PM
Somehow, I've lost interest in this thread :O:

AVGWarhawk
03-12-09, 03:25 PM
Somehow, I've lost interest in this thread :O:

Probably because of some 4 letter word........DELL:har:

wetgoat
03-12-09, 11:02 PM
Still currently running a 2003 dell 2.8 ht. Win xp home. Upgraded ddr ram and agp vid card only. Am very lucky this was a top of the line machine in it's day. Bought it back when money (or lack of it) wasn't so much of an issue! Won't handle much in the way of new stuff, but so what. With the upgrade to 2gigs of ram and the ati 1650pro it still cuts through SH3 like hot butter and after all, that's all that really matters.