PDA

View Full Version : Facebook girl sacked

XabbaRus
02-27-09, 11:52 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/7914415.stm

Good, this is different to sitting down the pub having a moan.

I can see the unions and PC brigade having fun with this.

SteamWake
02-27-09, 11:57 AM
All I can say is that she is a dumb ass.

Oberon
02-27-09, 11:57 AM
Alledgedly we had one go the same way.

Schroeder
02-27-09, 12:01 PM
Who needs the GESTAPO if we allready have the internet.:timeout:

Zachstar
02-27-09, 12:52 PM
The company stepped over the line and hopefully will be sued over this. But let this serve as a serious reminder that what you say on the Internet CAN and most likely WILL be used against you.

Zachstar
02-27-09, 12:52 PM
All I can say is that she is a dumb ass.
Careful on the libel there.

Sailor Steve
02-27-09, 01:01 PM
I'm with Zachstar on this one. If somebody worked for me and said that to my face, I still wouldn't fire them. I'd probably agree and then say "Well, you can live with it or look for something else. You're choice."

The person who fired her is the one who deserves the insults.

XabbaRus
02-27-09, 01:05 PM
Yea, well I'm afraid I'd have sacked her. I see these 16 year olds like her who think they are entitled to the most interesting stuff and don't think they have to do the mundane stuff.

You should see her on TV.

We all have bad days at work but you dn't go posting things like that on a notice board whether on the net or in an office. Especially if everyone knows you.

If she did have the guts to say it to someones face that would be one thing and I'd have told her the same as Steve would, however she didn't.

I have no sympathy with her if you haven't guessed.

AVGWarhawk
02-27-09, 01:06 PM
The company stepped over the line and hopefully will be sued over this. But let this serve as a serious reminder that what you say on the Internet CAN and most likely WILL be used against you.

So I guess posting a picture of me in a thong on my facebook page was not a good idea:06:

SteamWake
02-27-09, 01:09 PM

So I guess posting a picture of me in a thong on my facebook page was not a good idea:06:

The picture is okay its the thong :eek:

Honestly if you put anything up for public display you can rest assured that the public is going to look at it.

mookiemookie
02-27-09, 02:08 PM
Simple rule: don't say anything on the internet that you wouldn't want your boss/parents/clergy/friends/spouse/significant other finding out about.

Enigma
02-27-09, 02:54 PM
Seriously, did she say anything other than her job was boring? IS that really all there is to it? Because if it is, this is insanity.....:doh:

AVGWarhawk
02-27-09, 02:55 PM
Seriously, did she say anything other than her job was boring? IS that really all there is to it? Because if it is, this is insanity.....:doh:

I'm guessing there is more and not just on facebook. Other things at her place of employment that would want management have her gone. This was the only way to do it perhaps. :hmmm:

Enigma
02-27-09, 03:07 PM
Yeah, I'd have to think there is more to this. Under the basic circumstances in the article almost everyone who ever had a job deserves to be fired.:haha:

SteamWake
02-27-09, 03:23 PM
What is it about facebook that seems to suck the common sense out of people?

Cops post racisist/sexist comments on facebook : http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,501105,00.html

AVGWarhawk
02-27-09, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I'd have to think there is more to this. Under the basic circumstances in the article almost everyone who ever had a job deserves to be fired.:haha:

Office politics brother.

Sailor Steve
02-27-09, 06:15 PM
You should see her on TV.
That I have not. I only know what I've read here. If there's more of course my opinion could also be subject to change.

Kapt Z
02-27-09, 08:29 PM
Who didn't think their job was boring at 16????

at 20?

at 40?:DL

There will be other jobs kid. They probably did you a favor.

longam
02-27-09, 11:04 PM
True, but now they can blame the lazy mode on the internet.

fatty
02-27-09, 11:15 PM

I'm guessing there is more and not just on facebook. Other things at her place of employment that would want management have her gone. This was the only way to do it perhaps. :hmmm:

This. If the company did not want "bad things about it said on public pages" or whatever, they obviously miscalculated by firing her over this. Now, they're on the Beeb and sound like a bunch of d-bags for firing a 16-year-old for calling her job boring. Do I need to say which one is worse for PR?

XabbaRus
02-28-09, 05:20 AM
According to her boss she had also been hinting that she had got an interview at some other place and that they were looking for someone long term as one of their other staff was going on maternity leave so they were looking to train someone (ie her) up to do some of those duties. So yes there is more too it. You can't sack someone for just saying their job is boring but as it turns out there is more to the story.

Skybird
02-28-09, 07:38 AM
Pah, just more technophobia. :D Facebook lives! :up:

kiwi_2005
02-28-09, 08:14 AM
How did it get out to the media, If her and the mother went crying to the media then they just added more salt to the wound should of kept quite about it and moved on as now her chances of getting work in her town might be slim.

McBeck
02-28-09, 08:42 AM
Someone wanted 15 mins of fame

Dowly
02-28-09, 08:47 AM
We got similar companies here in Finland. I have personal experience from the K-CityMarket chain, every trainee or new worker get's a book on their policies, one thing said that speaking anything negative about the chain anywhere would result to a warning or being sacked.

My personal opinion: Just farking stupid. :shifty:

Platapus
02-28-09, 09:08 AM
...there is more to the story.

There always is. :yeah:

Jimbuna
02-28-09, 09:22 AM
Poor girl was stitched up by her work colleagues.

Nice bit of advertising for the company....not.

Spike88
02-28-09, 12:07 PM
Simple rule: don't say anything on the internet that you wouldn't want your boss/parents/clergy/friends/spouse/significant other finding out about.

I do this all the time. :O:

I cant see firing someone because they said work is boring, but if they were bad mouthing it in another way, or if they were releasing company secrets, than yeah I'd fire them.

Skybird
02-28-09, 07:48 PM
The firm's Steve Ivell said of the decision: "Her display of disrespect and dissatisfaction undermined the relationship and made it untenable."

I take from that that if you are doing a boring job that gives you no compensation for the time you spend there (something better than just - maybe even little - money) - you nevertheless have an obligation to feel satisfied and be happy.

Arrogance on side of the company. I personally never liked to work in jobs that I needed to do just because of the money, but had to accept such arrangements for some time. But I also accepted arrangements were I worked unpayed - because the job gave me something that meant more for me than money.

If you need to work in a bad job only because you need the money, then you really are a poor bastard and every minute of working time feels like an hour for you. That is a lot of seconds-counting over one day's shift.

Rilder
02-28-09, 08:17 PM

Better idea: Don't tell people who care about that stuff your username. :arrgh!:

A Very Super Market
02-28-09, 08:25 PM
That doesn't work on Facebook, unless you don't want anybody recognizing you, which would defeat the purpose..

Zachstar
02-28-09, 09:24 PM
The firm's Steve Ivell said of the decision: "Her display of disrespect and dissatisfaction undermined the relationship and made it untenable."
I take from that that if you are doing a boring job that gives you no compensation for the time you spend there (something better than just - maybe even little - money) - you nevertheless have an obligation to feel satisfied and be happy.

Arrogance on side of the company. I personally never liked to work in jobs that I needed to do just because of the money, but had to accept such arrangements for some time. But I also accepted arrangements were I worked unpayed - because the job gave me something that meant more for me than money.

If you need to work in a bad job only because you need the money, then you really are a poor bastard and every minute of working time feels like an hour for you. That is a lot of seconds-counting over one day's shift.

BINGO!

I work for a grocery and while Management is respectful the customers are growing more and more arrogant by the day.

Thus what started as a job that went by quickly and was fun turned into one where time drags on and breaks the spirit.

One thing that I look forward to with robots taking over the workforce is that these arrogant customers will have nobody to abuse freely anymore.

Things are bad enough for me. I can hardly image what it is like for someone to be in a similar position full time.

Oh and BTW for you "Get an education bums!" folks that want to use such a reply. You obviously have no idea what coming home with a broken spirit is like. And more and more of these folks in such a position ARE educated! Even at times doctorates! Who often don't get hired because they are considered overqualified..

This company is getting one hell of a bad press run here.

Overboard
02-28-09, 09:47 PM
Maby she should of kept her mouth shut :haha: ( God What a dumb ass).:roll:

August
02-28-09, 10:33 PM
Being held responsible for ones actions is a strange concept to some people.

Platapus
03-01-09, 10:00 AM

You take that wrong.

Read, carefully, what Steve Ivell said.....

XabbaRus
03-01-09, 12:47 PM
Ah dear.

I sued to work in a supermarket like you Zachstar. I did it for the money as I couldn't get anything else at the time and had a family to feed. Was the job boring, yes, were some of the customers arrogant, yes but I had the sense to keep any badmouthing to myself or brought it home.

The difference is we have a 16 year old, possibly her first job and from having seen a fair number of them come through where I work they think they are owed interesting work.

Skybird what you left out of that was according to her former boss she had been hinting at having secured another interview at some other company. In that case it would make it untenable. You have someone on a public website slagging off the company she is working for and she is looking to leave anyway. Can't blame them.

The thing is how did this hit the news? Who went running off to the press?

I wouldn't be so quick to as say she was stiched up by her work mates. Given that she invited everyone to be her friend there's a chance she invited teh boss to and he saw it. She also might not have mentioned the name of teh company in her comment but I'm willing to bet her friends knew where she was working and word of mouth works very fast, you just never can tell.