PDA

View Full Version : Oak leaves? What's the story?

Dowly
02-25-09, 12:27 PM
Just started thinking today about how the oak leaves are pretty common sight in few armies. Either in medals or in ranks. So, what's the story behind the use of oak leaves? :hmmm:

August
02-25-09, 12:33 PM
I found this:

Majors in our Army started wearing oak leaves as rank insignia on their shoulder straps about 1832. Why the Army chose oak leaves remains a mystery. Navy and some Army officers had been wearing gold braid featuring oak leaves and acorns on their uniforms for several years. Generals, Admirals and some other senior officers still wear braid on their caps. One story has it that the Navy chose oak leaf braid as a tribute to the oak lumber used to build its ships. While that is a good story it ignores the fact that some British and French officers also wore braid with oak leaves and still do today. The British might have gotten the idea from the Germans who wore oak leaves in their headgear after a battle. That practice seems to go back a long time, perhaps to pagan warriors wearing the leaves as a tribute to whatever gods they worshiped. When the Elector of Hanover became King George I of Great Britain in 1714, his German followers might have introduced the oak leaf to the British military. Another story traces the British use of oak leaves to King Charles II who escaped from his enemies in 1650 by hiding in an oak tree. Anyway, back to the Major and his oak leaves. In 1832 the color of the leaves had to be opposite the color of the shoulder strap borders so Infantry Majors wore gold leaves while other Majors wore silver. After 1851 all Majors wore gold oak leaves. They did not have oak leaves on their epaulettes because the size of the fringes on their epaulettes and other features of their uniforms identified them as Majors.

http://www.history.navy.mil/trivia/triv4-5f.htm

Dowly
02-25-09, 12:41 PM
Thanks August! Tho, still doesnt give any real answers. :hmmm:

I've heard the german knight's cross' oak leaves were there because oak is one of german national symbols? Anyone can confirm that?

AVGWarhawk
02-25-09, 12:49 PM
Oak was always a solid wood and often likened to strength. Just conjecture but I would think Oak leaves indicated strength.

Schroeder
02-25-09, 12:49 PM
I've heard the german knight's cross' oak leaves were there because oak is one of german national symbols? Anyone can confirm that?
Is it?:o

I guess it is a symbol of strenght. Oaks are quite strong trees and the wood is very hard.
But as I said, it's just a guess.

*Edit*
AVGWarhawk was faster than me.

AVGWarhawk
02-25-09, 12:55 PM
The following may give you some insight as to the rings significance to the wearer. "An acorn represents a potentiality, something that with the right care and nurturing can grow into something far greater than it is at present (e.g. a huge oak tree that can last for many years beyond a human lifetime)."

"The acorn has long been considered a symbol of good luck in Germany where oak trees are considered sacred. The rebirth of life in the coming of the Christ child is also represented in the acorn. Bearing a tiny seed that will produce a mighty oak, the acorn reminds us that great results can be born of humble beginnings."

"The oak leaf wreath is symbolic of sturdiness and durability." An oak leaf cluster is also used in the US Military to indicate a subsequent award of the same medal for heroism (e.g. a second silver star). None of our catalogs show a similar ring. However, we will put you request on our search list and see what we can find from our suppliers or estate jewelry dealers over the next couple of months.

H. Garrett

Dowly
02-25-09, 01:01 PM
Thanks AVG! :salute:

AVGWarhawk
02-25-09, 01:36 PM
Yup yup. No problem! Symbolism is very strong. Even today.