PDA

View Full Version : Strange PC problem

Syxx_Killer
02-21-09, 06:07 PM
My brother called a little bit ago and his computer is giving him strange problems. It is a 4 or so year old Gateway. At first he said that it is shutting itself off randomly and when he goes to restart sometimes it doesn't do anything. It doesn't even make it to the beginning Gateway logo screen (or whatever the first screen is). It has to be turned off and on multiple times before it does anything. When it doesn't do anything the computer sounds like it's on and running. This lead me to think it may be the power supply. Now I learn that when it "shuts down" it doesn't actually shut down. It seems more like it is sleeping. He cannot wake it. He has to manually turn it off. Then it may do what I said above about it not getting to the initial boot screen. I wonder if it could be the motherboard? If it was the hard drive or something else, wouldn't it at least get to the initial boot screen and the BIOS settings?

Reece
02-21-09, 06:51 PM
I certainly would have looked at the PSU first, did you try with another?:hmmm:
Maybe one of the cards has a fault, try removing all the cards, even the video card, should power up, might just keep beeping but atleast it will narrow things down, if it still shuts down then I would check all connections, failing that it's possibly the motherboard. I'm not familiar with that computer including the bios arrangement, can he enter the bios, and if so does it shut down in there? if not it could simply be the battery.:-?

Dimitrius07
02-21-09, 07:33 PM
This lead me to think it may be the power supply.

I think so also (according to your desription). Try to remove all devices that not nesasery needed to boot up system, such as dvd drive,floppy disc and see the computer reaction.

CaptainHaplo
02-21-09, 08:40 PM
I agree on the PS. Easy test - next time it shuts down - have him pull the power cable off the psu - even if its till running. If he can count to 30 - plug it back in and turn the pc back on and it runs first time every time - its definitely the PS. Its a test I suggest trying 2-3 times just to confirm.

The reasoning here is that it sounds like the ps is no longer providing full power as it should - the mb goes into a low power state - then gets stuck in it. Pulling the incoming power lets the ps drain down entirely - so when he plugs in and repowers - it runs for a while again before failing.

There is the possibility of it being the mb - but right now the ps is definitely the most likely culprit.

She-Wolf
02-22-09, 10:20 AM
yes I agree with t'others - try another psu first.

Syxx_Killer
02-22-09, 10:42 AM
Thanks guys. :yeah: I will mention to test the PSU.

nikimcbee
02-22-09, 10:54 AM
Could it be the battery needs to be replaced on the motherboard?

Syxx_Killer
02-22-09, 11:23 AM

That crossed my mind as well. If it was the battery wouldn't the computer still boot up but not retain the BIOS settings? Essentially wouldn't you have to keep reapplying your BIOS settings every time you turn on the computer?

nikimcbee
02-22-09, 11:28 AM

That crossed my mind as well. If it was the battery wouldn't the computer still boot up but not retain the BIOS settings? Essentially wouldn't you have to keep reapplying your BIOS settings every time you turn on the computer?
I've never had this particular problem, but I have heard about it. The fix is easy, just replace the battery. (if you're comfortable with digging around in your pc)

CaptainHaplo
02-22-09, 11:47 AM
If it was the CMOS battery you would get an error every time you booted - either a CMOS error loading defaults - or a msg saying hit whatever key to enter setup.

You can run a MB without a battery just fine - as long as you dont reboot it. It won't care one bit.

Reece
02-22-09, 08:49 PM
Speaking of batteries, if the cpu/ram speeds were tweaked timing to run too fast the cmos will crash, no problems with most motherboards but some just keep shutting down, the best thing to do in this situation is remove the battery, wait for a few minutes for the caps to discharge then replace it, this clears the cmos but you then have to re-enter the time/date etc.:salute: