PDA

View Full Version : Confessions of a flashtard

Onkel Neal
02-20-09, 07:48 PM
Something to share, for a couple years, whenever I wanted to share files between my laptop, work, and office, I would gmail them to myself, so I could go into my gmail and get them.

Epiphinay #1: I was building a website for a landscaping company. This is back in December. Ok, we all understand, I am designing the site, formating the webpages, setting up the account on the server, logging in via command prompt to adjust the domain settings, and uploading with FTP, all the normal stuff. He has some pics he needs on the site, and he brings in this old PC with the pics on it. Has 8MB of pics, no network card or CD burner. How the heck am I going to get the pics to my PC? It won't connect to the web,so I cannot gmail them... it cannot burn a CD... 12 floppies?? Then, finally, I remember the 1GB flash drive I bought myself (a year ago!). Duh!! Well, the PC does have a USB 1 port, so I am in business.

Epiphinay #2: I am working on the Subsim Werewolf Hunt while at the college between classes. Again, I have been gmailing the spreadsheet and Word doc back and forth, as well as doing the same for my college papers. Doing this for 4 weeks (hell, I did it all last semester too :06: )... getting a little frustrated when I got versions mixed up...again I remember the flash drive! :wah: Dang, what a tard!

You can probably guess that I have been really focused on using the flash drive a lot the last week...I think I'm finally getting it. :O:

CaptainHaplo
02-20-09, 09:49 PM
Yea and the prices on these things have come down alot. A couple of guys at work got 8gb ones at walmart for 20 bucks each. Unreal.

Why cant I get 8 gigs of ram in my machine for 20 bucks I say!!! That would be truly sweet!

longam
02-22-09, 07:35 PM
Epiphinay #2, if you have FTP? :hmmm:

NeonSamurai
02-25-09, 10:16 AM
Ya flash drives can certainly be useful at times. Though personally I prefer doing replication over the network when at all possible (faster, simpler and better for moving large chunks of data) or just via my external 1 TB usb drive (particularly with large chunks).

Also the flash drives are so easy to loose especially if you have one without a neck strap, I am forever misplacing my 2gb one.

Onkel Neal
02-27-09, 12:20 AM
Epiphinay #2, if you have FTP? :hmmm:

What do you mean? Yes, I use FTP a lot, but rarely to move files between computers, jst to upload files. My server is a massive mess, I would hate to have to find something on it. It would be like escavating a tell on an ancient babble-onian site :88)

Speaking of FTP, I used my flash drive to install my WS_FTP Pro, Putty, and Cliptrakker to my laptop this evening. I am flashing the hell out of everything these days :O:

NeonSamurai
02-27-09, 08:13 AM
Try using some folders Neal :DL

Onkel Neal
02-27-09, 09:46 AM
Now I look like an FTP-tard as well.:doh:

Reminder to self: research "folders".

NeonSamurai
02-27-09, 10:30 AM
aka directories :eek:

Syxx_Killer
03-01-09, 09:14 AM
Yea and the prices on these things have come down alot. A couple of guys at work got 8gb ones at walmart for 20 bucks each. Unreal.

Why cant I get 8 gigs of ram in my machine for 20 bucks I say!!! That would be truly sweet!
The WalMart here has the same deal going. I really want to get one of the 8GB flash drives, but I have no use for it. I've got a 2GB one that I got about a year of so ago. I paid $20 for it then and thought it was a good price. I can't believe how much the prices have dropped on these things! Other than backing some data up with it I haven't used it since getting an external enclosure. If it wasn't for my external enclosure for a 200GB hard drive I had laying around I'd probably get the 8GB drive.

For those who might be looking for an even better deal on an 8GB flash drive, NewEgg has a SanDisk brand drive for $13.99 with free shipping!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171362&nm_mc=AFC-Spoofee&cm_mmc=AFC-Spoofee-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA

danurve
03-03-09, 02:51 PM
Fan of WS_FTP back from the old 'lite' days. Who doesn't have a flash drive on their key chain these days? I also was introduced to FileZilla recently, good app. :up:

longam
03-03-09, 03:51 PM
Now I look like an FTP-tard as well.:doh:

Reminder to self: research "folders".

It will really blow you away when you find out you can name them, like FTP Folder...:haha:

I bought a flash drive many moons ago but it just sits up there mocking me on how much it cost, and how little I use it. But I can see the use in your situation.