PDA

View Full Version : DCS Black Shark

PeriscopeDepth
02-20-09, 03:22 AM
I know many of you vomit at the sound of it because Starforce is included. But damned if it isn't the finest combat simulator I've seen since Jane's F-18. A very polished product - wasn't released too early, and a true combat simulator. I know it has Starforce, but the download version does NOT contain any drivers just an online activation system. If you are objecting at any support of SF in any form I can completely understand that...But you are missing out on the finest modern air combat simulation in 10 years.

A truly unique subject matter with the finest presentation and modeling I've seen in air combat sims since Janes was around. Very glad I took the plunge.

PD

Dowly
02-20-09, 03:42 AM
I've been meaning to buy this one for some time now... might actually get the D/L version today. :hmmm:

EDIT: Ooor not. Stupid POS payment thingy keeps telling my card number doesnt match the card. Gah, keep your fricking game.

BilboSmeggins
02-20-09, 05:07 AM
Is this available as a hard copy? I don't think my download speed could cope with such a big file........ :down:

Dowly
02-20-09, 07:30 AM
Yup, but not yet.

porphy
02-22-09, 05:09 PM
I know many of you vomit at the sound of it because Starforce is included. But damned if it isn't the finest combat simulator I've seen since Jane's F-18. A very polished product - wasn't released too early, and a true combat simulator. I know it has Starforce, but the download version does NOT contain any drivers just an online activation system. If you are objecting at any support of SF in any form I can completely understand that...But you are missing out on the finest modern air combat simulation in 10 years.

A truly unique subject matter with the finest presentation and modeling I've seen in air combat sims since Janes was around. Very glad I took the plunge.

PD
Congrats PeriscopeDepth! The Black Shark is very good indeed, and I wouldn't miss out on this one. The feeling of how the beast moves and react to the inputs, and then get it to do exactly what you want it to do is something unique, at least for me.

I hear the upcoming A-10 sim will have an even more sophisticated flight physics simulation... In that case people really should start training with the Shark now. :yep: Trying to hover properly with only the Flight Director engaged is an challenging excercise in constant input corrections.

Edit: Dowly, try to buy the download version before you start the party with beers and vodka, instead of doing this afterwards. You might then get the card number right... :)

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a126/Porphyr/ScreenShot_020.jpg

msalama
02-27-09, 09:39 AM
Very glad I took the plunge.

+1^10 :D

DCS:BS is something very, very special IMHO. I've had it for a couple of months now, and I just LOVE the beastess (it's a she of course). The FM fidelity / quality is just top-notch, as is the systems modelling. I've never seen a better sim in my life - honest!

PS. Dowly, jos sulla on Visa Electron se usein (aina?) kusee ulkomailta ostettaessa :damn:

Dowly
02-27-09, 09:48 AM
PS. Dowly, jos sulla on Visa Electron se usein (aina?) kusee ulkomailta ostettaessa :damn:

Sehän se. Muuten toiminu moitteetta, mutta tuo Black Sharkin jutska ei taho toimia. Tullu ostettua 4-6 peliä ulkomailta tällä Visalla ja hyvin on toiminut. Noh, mutta, täytynee odotella boxi-versioo. :salute:

Viikonloppuja!

-Teemu

msalama
02-27-09, 09:57 AM
Samoin :)

XabbaRus
02-27-09, 01:25 PM
What are good system specs to have.

I'm a P$ 3.2 Ghz weith 2.5GB RAM and an 8500GT GFX.

If that can't play it at half decent settings I'm not going to bother.

PeriscopeDepth
02-28-09, 01:19 AM
Q: What are DCS: Black Shark minimum specifications?
A: Although not final, we project the minimum specification to be as follows: CPU: 2 GHz; RAM: 1 GB; Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce FX with 256 MB of RAM / ATI Radeon X1300 with 256 MB of RAM or equivalent; 3 GB free HD space; Operating system: Windows XP SP2 and Vista with DirectX 9 or 10.

Maybe you'd be able to play it with low settings XabbaRus. Can you run Lock On?

PD

XabbaRus
02-28-09, 05:38 AM
Never tried.

Is there a demo?

Ubergeek87
02-28-09, 05:39 PM
Never tried.

Is there a demo?Yep, http://www.gamershell.com/download_3533.shtml

also, here are blacksharks official requirements

Minimal system requirements: OS: Windows XP, Vista; CPU: 2 GHz; RAM: 1 GB; Graphics: 256 MB ATI or nVidia, DirectX 9 compatible; Sound card; 4 GB of free space on HDD; Copy protected, requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements: OS: Windows Vista for launching in fullscreen mode; CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850+, AMD Phenom 9850+; RAM: 2+ GB; Graphics: 512+ MB ATI HD 2900+ or nVidia 8800+; Sound card; 4+ GB of free space on HDD; Copy protected, requires internet activation; Joystick.

Seeadler
03-08-09, 03:30 PM
The German DVD retail version has the same protection as the download version, it requires key activation over internet ...according to the manual, no need of DVD in drive after installation.

Skybird
03-08-09, 06:01 PM

Yes, stab me from behind, turn the blade inside the wound, honour my pain with yelling laughter... I'm not vomitting, PD, and I know that this sim was made for me. On the other hand, since I heared the bad news on SF and DRM, I have already forgotten about the sim, almost.

So will you please stop reminding me of it, yes...!? :arrgh!: :stare: :shifty:

Dowly
05-20-10, 07:39 AM
Yaay, I learned to shoot and hover.. kinda. That building guy gonna be sorry now. :stare:

Dowly
05-20-10, 09:50 AM
Continuing from the screenshot thread:

Good to know that the laser can burn, been turning it on all the time. :O:

I take you need to toggle the ground moving target switch on when engaging moving targets? Or does it track it automatically if it has a good lock?

EDIT: The tracking works like video motion tracking, right? As in, the better the target sticks out from it's surroundings the better it tracks?

Arclight
05-20-10, 11:16 AM
Yep, you'll notice the targeting becomes impossible as the sun sets. Even if you can see it clearly by tweaking the brightness and contrast, the targeting system simply can not.

The only mode you'll use regularly is the auto-turn-to-target. It keeps the nose pointing to where ever you've got the Skvahl looking, though some input on the rudder might be needed for proper line-up, depending on wind conditions.

Moving ground target... don't think I ever use that, though it might have some benefits (could be gun only leeds target with that on, not sure). AA mode sets the proximity fuse on the Vikhr, so you don't need a direct hit. Front-hemisphere thingy, not a clue.

Dowly
05-20-10, 11:25 AM
Time for a noob question: How do you unlock after you've locked into a target? :doh:

Ow and popped my realism combat cherry; three abrams'. :smug:

Lionclaw
05-20-10, 11:29 AM
Push and hold the lock button while panning the shkval camera away from the target. Otherwise it will lock again. :)

Dowly
05-20-10, 11:44 AM
Ah, right. Thanks. :salute:

Arclight
05-20-10, 11:47 AM
Map something for "button targeting mode reset", or remember the default (backspace). Cages the Skvahl and resets the weapon stuff (slected hardpoint, mode select). Handy if you need to disengage in a hurry.

Those Abrams are tough. :doh:

Dowly
05-20-10, 11:53 AM
Those Abrams are tough. :doh:

Tell me about it! I hit 8-9 times. :doh: Tho, one started to smoke after second hit before exploding. :yep:

Arclight
05-20-10, 12:06 PM
Wow, shouldn't be that tough. :doh:

2 hits should take 'em out, maybe try without the moving target option, possible it sets a proximity fuse as well. :hmmm:

Dowly
05-20-10, 12:09 PM
Not at one target, but total hits on the convoy. Engaged 3 tanks from a convoy of 5-6.

Arclight
05-20-10, 01:14 PM
Right. Still, 2 hits per M1 should do it.

Running a mission for a bit, about 1 1/2 hours, test it out. Free to join, 4 players. (Arc-BlackShark, pass: subsim)

Dowly
05-20-10, 03:14 PM
That was fun. :yep:

Maybe I join you guys to the real mission next time. :hmmm:

PS. Arc, you ever noticed that the emblem on your sig looks like the head of an sleeping cat? Cool. :DL

Arclight
05-20-10, 03:22 PM
Now that you mention, I see it too. :lol:

Normal mission is pretty easy fare; minor SAM-threat, bit of AAA, lot's of vehicles and structures to target.

(basically, take out the SAM and it's easy going)

Good practice. :yep:

Lionclaw
05-20-10, 03:33 PM
Was a bit tricky to make out the AAA in the village, but it went well. :)
I've mapped hover mode on the joystick. Makes it so much more comfortable to engage targets.

Before I've been struggling to hold steady ( even though it was trimmed for hover ) with rudder input, collective input, cyclic input while scanning and engaging targets. :doh:

Must be hell with a joystick twist rudder. :o:doh:

Used to get a aching wrist while flying helicopters in Flight Simulator. I recommend rudder pedals if you can afford it.

Dowly
05-20-10, 03:35 PM
Must be hell with a joystick twist rudder. :o:doh:

It's not so bad. My EVO is kinda jerky, but now that I got the force feedback set up it's quite easy to make small moves with the rudder. :yep:

Arclight
05-20-10, 03:44 PM
Yeah, saw you in a descending turn to target, pretty smooth. Apart from getting in the vortex, of course. :lol:

And yes, it is hell with a twist stick, at least for me. But the more durable rudders cost as much or more as my hotas, and a TIR might be nice as well. :-?

Task Force
05-20-10, 03:48 PM
This looks intresting, I might join youall someday.

Lionclaw
05-20-10, 03:53 PM
Yeah, got into a vortex as I slowed down for hover, managed to get out of it quite quickly. Just point the nose forward and add collective.

I use Saitek's Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, they're not as expensive as the other companies products. But they seem a little rickety, but if you take it gently it's no problem. :up:

However I've done more quick rudder movements but they seem to endure what I put them through at least. I've never broken any of my hardware by usage.

Dowly
05-21-10, 04:54 AM
Anyone use the mod manager (Modman)? I can't get the f* thing to work, it won't find the BS folder. :damn:

I installed it and when it asks for what game, I chose DCS series after that it asks for the root folder, I point it to D:/Eagle Dynamics/Ka50 and it gives an error that it can't find it.

Arclight
05-21-10, 05:16 AM
Nah, haven't tried modding it yet.

Planning on some skinning? :06:

Dowly
05-21-10, 05:19 AM
Planning on some skinning? :06:

Yup, one can prolly do it without it, but just makes it easier. :hmmm:

EDIT: Wanna play at some point? I got 3 hours or so before I leave.

Dowly
05-21-10, 06:19 AM
http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

Lost my pilot after a stupid mistake! :damn: Was playing the default quickstart map (the valley one) with realism on, had just gunned down the trucks and was flying towards the next patch of enemies. Got to a good spot and started hover, only one thing; didnt keep my eye on the collective and ALT+TAB'd out to check something quickly. Came back and I was at 7 meters and going down too fast. :nope:

Arclight
05-21-10, 06:25 AM
Yeah, can be such a pain. Think I lost more helos and pilots to vortex trouble than combat damage.

Folowed closely by Strela and Stinger missiles. No warning untill (if) you spot it... usually too late by then.

So, what, no cottage? I'm confused. :doh:

Dowly
05-21-10, 07:04 AM
So, what, no cottage? I'm confused. :doh:

I got 3 hours or so before I leave.

We had planned on leaving early with my brother but it turned out we all go at the same time once my mom gets out from work.

But nevermind the playing, got my fix already. :)

Arclight
05-21-10, 07:43 AM
Ah, didn't spot yer edit. Was gonna say I'm flying right now. :doh:

Dowly
05-21-10, 07:52 AM
Hah! (<- for not keeping your Steam on)

Arclight
05-21-10, 08:08 AM
Yeah had a few reboots yesterday, thanks to that marvelous StarForce on Flaming Cliffs.

Windows wouldn't boot after install, managed to repair, and then noticed Avast was disabled. :doh:

Forgot to start Steam. :oops:

Dowly
05-24-10, 05:21 AM
Modman's been updated to 7.3.0.0 and works fine now. :yeah:

SgtPotato
05-24-10, 07:49 AM
Looking up in this thread and researching about DCS Black Shark, I found this game very interesting and fun to play, but hard. I'm not sure if I can buy it but I need a new joystick... :nope:

Raptor1
05-25-10, 04:13 AM
Has anybody bought it from Direct2Drive? If so, will the standard patches work on it alright?

Dowly
05-25-10, 04:15 AM
Yes, D2D version works fine. Me & Arc both got it from there AFAIK, think Potato too.

Raptor1
05-25-10, 04:17 AM
Good, costs much less than in the official site so I probably won't have to test my patience and only buy it next week.

All depending on when I get me new joystick, of course.

Arclight
05-25-10, 05:15 AM
Yeah, bought it on D2D. ED doesn't do PayPal I think, and I thought I'd never see a boxed copy here, considering it's mostly focused on consoles, and even the local PC shop were I get most of my boxed games over the counter has a sometimes poor selection.

Imagine my surprise when I saw they had a (exactly 1) copy of BlackShark in stock. Too bad for them I already had it, and quite a bit cheaper. :lol:

*Sigh* wish the Euro was still as strong as back then. :(

HunterICX
05-25-10, 05:53 AM
I can get a hard copy of DCS Blackshark at the local game shop for 36,95€

not really into Helo combat, but the game looks interesting thought.
would probally also need Track IR to enjoy it more.

HunterICX

Dowly
05-25-10, 05:55 AM
Aye, TIR helps a lot with the cramped cockpit. Dont know if you can lean forwards without TIR but the armor plates on the doors can really block your visual to your sides.

Arclight
05-25-10, 06:00 AM
Yeah, mapped forward/backward camera to slider. Helps to look over the nose for low targets and during landing, and can see more to the side. Could map another slider for side-to-side, but no more available.

Maybe wait for A-10, if you don't like helos. The fidelity in simulation and detail on the models is just fantastic, really is the sim of my dreams since I first saw Longbow.

Lionclaw
05-25-10, 06:06 AM
Hmm, have to look that up, I have the only slider as the throttle.

Arclight
05-25-10, 06:25 AM
Rctrl+Rshift+numpad "directions" to shift viewpoint. Return to center as normal. You can alter the default viewpoint, but don't know how to do that exactly.

Right, starting a game in a sec. Server = Arc-BlackShark Pass = subsim.

No requirements or expectations on skill-levels. :)

Task Force
05-25-10, 06:50 AM
cool, so, whats the IP? I can fly today, I stayed home. (yay for feeling abit under the weather)

Task Force
05-25-10, 01:16 PM
That was alot of fun... just wish autostart had worked the whole game.

Dowly
05-25-10, 01:25 PM
Yeh it was a fun game. :up:

@Arc

Maybe add enemy ships to the next mission? :hmmm:

EDIT: Ow and for those who didn't know, a track off the MP game is stored in ka-50/temp folder. Just sort them by modified and the last one named clientsoemthing is the track. Don't know how they are deleted (if they are) so you might want to copy the track file to the ka-50/missions/tracks folder for safe keeping.

Arclight
05-25-10, 01:59 PM
Fun, yes. But ain't it a BITCH? :D

First time in a KA-50 at "simulator" setting is more painfull than repeatedly banging your head against the wall, while suffering the worst hangover EVAH! :damn: :dead:

Gonna take some time to construct some usefull reading, first of all on manual start, and going into targeting after that. Some pointers on general flying, such as "so how the hell does the trimmer work" and "autopilot functions 101", would be in order as well, but the autopliot is so deeply integrated in the Sharks systems, that it really is a very complex beast to pick apart, let alone explain (seriously; engine start and weapon deployment are easy compared to that).

Lionclaw is pitching in as well, which is much appreciated... huh, more like needed.

Dowly
05-25-10, 02:07 PM
Manual start = Look at the buttons for awhile, hit lwin+Home and go make coffee

Everyone know's how to shoot, right?

So, you can go straight to the trimming part. :O:

SgtPotato
05-25-10, 02:13 PM
I don't know how to shoot. :oops:

Anyway, I can't change my controls because I kept getting errors after I installed the 1.0.2 patch.

Arclight
05-25-10, 02:16 PM
Turns out auto-sequence can be buggy. For instance, 1 engine failed to start. Now What? :doh:

Well? :DL
I don't know how to shoot. :oops:

Anyway, I can't change my controls because I kept getting errors after I installed the 1.0.2 patch.
Suggest a fresh install and patch directly to 1.2. ED keeps reworking the engine quite substantially, think they're testing methods for the new engine.

Dowly
05-25-10, 02:17 PM
Turns out auto-sequence can be buggy. For instance, 1 engine failed to start. Now What? :doh:

Well? :DL

Keep your fricking hands off of any buttons while the auto-sequence is going. :DL

Arclight
05-25-10, 02:20 PM
I'll take that as a "I haven't got a clue". :O:

Seriously, it ended up reversing the function of my battery and generator switches. :doh:

Task Force
05-25-10, 03:58 PM
I tryed auto start and all it did was push in the start button... lol

Dowly
05-26-10, 06:04 AM
Finally figured what the heck was wrong with my skin (front stuff was in back and vice versa). Forgot to switch the names of two files. :doh:

So, anyone who is planning to skin using the official templates rename paint1 to paint2 and paint2 to paint1.

Dowly
05-26-10, 08:28 AM
Note to all: If my wipers are on, that means leave me alone for a sec. :88)
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee274/Finnish_Ferret/boobies.jpg

Schroeder
05-26-10, 08:29 AM
Are they wiping the wind shield from within or the outside....?:hmm2:

Dowly
05-26-10, 08:31 AM
Are they wiping the wind shield from within or the outside....?:hmm2:

Outside. :cry: Need to have a word with the groundcrew and see if they could move them inside. :hmmm:

SgtPotato
05-26-10, 09:23 AM
Note to all: If my wipers are on, that means leave me alone for a sec. :88)
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee274/Finnish_Ferret/boobies.jpg

Rule 34 of Captain Samantha Carter from Stargate SG-1?

I didn't know that you have a thing with her. :smug:

Dowly
05-26-10, 09:26 AM
Rule 34 of Captain Samantha Carter from Stargate SG-1?

I didn't know that you have a thing with her. :smug:

Yes and yes. :DL

Arclight
05-26-10, 02:50 PM
She looks much better without clothes. :D

Running server, Potato is getting in some practice. Might be on later, if Waffles are off.

Dowly
05-27-10, 02:34 PM
Yaay, finished my FAM flight in the Deployment campaign. When I said finished, it means I was near base trying to get the jiggle cam to work, pressed CTRL+J, something went wrong and I ended up walking back to base. But hey, according to the game it was a success, so who cares. :O:

SgtPotato
05-27-10, 02:38 PM
I wish this game should have the Ka-52. It would be nice to have a co-pilot or a gunner, whatever is it.

Raptor1
05-27-10, 02:40 PM
The Ka-52 is much better looking as well.

I gots my joystick, but I'm going to have to wait until next week for this anyway, bah...

Dowly
05-27-10, 02:48 PM
Dont like the rounded nose of the Ka-52. :hmmm:

Arclight
05-27-10, 02:50 PM
What, the procedures thread hasn't scared anyone off yet? :DL

Ka-52 would be nice for multiplayer, but imagine being stuck with an AI gunner/pilot in SP...

Dowly
05-27-10, 02:51 PM
What, the procedures thread hasn't scared anyone off yet? :DL

Nah, don't really read it, I'm happy with my lwin+home. :O:

Or to put it like Vasquez from Aliens; I only need to know one thing, where they are? *makes shooting gesture with her hand*

Arclight
05-27-10, 02:53 PM
Yes, engine start up is all that's in there. :roll:

Just hope it doesn't bug out again though, might be because the mission runs for so long. :-?

Dowly
05-27-10, 02:54 PM
Yes, engine start up is all that's in there. :roll:

I know, I glanced the stuff, but I rather get fully used to flying and shooting before going in-depth. :yep:

Arclight
05-27-10, 02:59 PM
Yeah, wouldn't expect people to memorize the lot of it right of the bat. But some of the basic stuff, like the trimmer implementation, flight-director and the weapons system are pretty much required to get anywhere.

Basic use of the PVI and route-mode is straightforward as well, and can really make your life easier, especially on long flights.

Dowly
05-27-10, 03:01 PM
I'm starting to think that the trimmer doesn't work that well with my joystick, lots of problems with DCS and FF joysticks. I can't get the trim to work, no matter what I do with the stick. Got it to kinda work when used keyboard. :doh:

Arclight
05-27-10, 03:03 PM
Well, how do you use it? Or is it known problem with FF sticks?

Dowly
05-27-10, 03:07 PM
Well, how do you use it? Or is it known problem with FF sticks?

Hold it, get to a new course, release and center stick, as it should be used on a FF stick. And yes, there's looots of troubles with FF sticks and DCS. There's even tutorials on how to remove the spring from a certain FF joystick to make it work as it should. :doh:

Arclight
05-27-10, 05:21 PM
Yeah, FF sticks are supposed to stay in place after trimming, that may be causing some difficulties.

Running the server, leave it on for tonight. Not sure if I'll be in there myself, but if people want to practice, it's there.

* ah, remember that that convoy arrives at your base around 10am, better to take care of them before that. ;)

Arclight
05-28-10, 11:49 AM
Up and running.

I'd like to crank out a mission over the weekend. Suggestions are welcome. :)

Task Force
05-28-10, 04:42 PM
If your woundering what happend to me, my game crashed for the second time...

Arclight
05-28-10, 11:31 PM
What, you were gone? :O:

Had a few nice runs right? Almost thought I could keep circling that convoy forever. :yep:

Task Force
05-28-10, 11:34 PM
lol. I never new flying helocopters could be so funny.

Arclight
05-28-10, 11:43 PM
Could you post that track per chance? :06:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=170256

Should be in "..\Eagle Dynamics\Ka-50\Temp\". Something like "clientxxx.trk" or "MPxxx.trk" or something. Most fun I've ever had with a convoy. :lol:

HunterICX
05-29-10, 03:22 AM
:shifty: damn teasers you are....

just out of curiosity how would it run on my system?

CPU: Intel Dual Core E6750 2.66ghz
RAM: 2 Gb DDR
GPU: 8800GT 512 Mb DDR3

Maybe wait for A-10, if you don't like helos. The fidelity in simulation and detail on the models is just fantastic, really is the sim of my dreams since I first saw Longbow.

The A-10 is a nice aircraft, but as far the moder era aircraft go they don't have the same attraction as I have for World War 2 warbirds.

Helo's on the other hand well haven't played with them that much, I recall a old dos helo game where you could pick between certain helo's even a tilrotor one (used to pick that pretty much all the time) I got as far till I met sam's and it was the end of the mission :haha:

flown BF2 and ArmA but that doesn't really count as Sim's and I was pretty bad at it (in BF2 I was ok, but in ArmA well you all know it)

I guess its ArmA's way of handling the Helo to blame for it or it's that I just didn't put enough time in it. but you can't really say the helo's in ArmA where detailed and had a proper flight model.

HunterICX

Ubergeek87
05-29-10, 10:02 AM
just out of curiosity how would it run on my system?

CPU: Intel Dual Core E6750 2.66ghz
RAM: 2 Gb DDR
GPU: 8800GT 512 Mb DDR3

My rig is almost the same except I have an E6600. You should be able to run blackshark fine on medium/high settings.

Task Force
05-29-10, 10:28 AM
Your should be able to run medium, or high, as Ubergeek said.

But you will probably want that program that allows you to run more that one core... I actualy need it. lol

Arclight
05-29-10, 11:31 AM
Think that was fixed with patch, or you can just set the afinity for DCS.exe to all cores manually, no need for any programs.

I ran it on "high" preset on E6750, 8800GTS 512 and 2GB RAM no problem, since v1.0. There's some conditions that make the framerate dip though, usually in heavy weather, and maybe a little stutter when something scripted triggers, but I still have that on Q9550 and 4Gb RAM. Think you can get away with enabling civilian traffic as well.

Raptor1
05-29-10, 12:30 PM
Rights, gots Black Shark, downloading the installer.

Looking forward to a lot of 'Caution, Caution' warnings, clipped blades, crashing, doom-filled debriefing screens and all that...

Arclight
05-29-10, 01:36 PM
Fisrt thing we'll do is test your LWR, missile evasion and eject reflexes. :D

Task Force
05-29-10, 02:22 PM
Fisrt thing we'll do is test your LWR, missile evasion and eject reflexes. :D

LOl, Ive got my Ejection reflexes down... lol just missile dodging. lol

Arclight
05-29-10, 02:31 PM
Just learn the stand-off ranges. :yep:

Strela goes at most 5km, your Vikhrs reach 7km, up to 12km if you get enough altitude so they can coast down. Most AAA doesn't reach beyond 2.5-3km, while you can use the cannon fairly effectively from 4km. Rockets and gunpods are close-quarters weapon; just use them to mop up after threats have been dealt with. Even so, you can use those from 2km, while the average MG won't reach beyond 1.5km.

Don't worry about how to dodge, worry about staying out of reach in the first place. :)

Task Force
05-29-10, 02:33 PM
yea, Im trying that... my main issue is hovering... It wont stay still, so Im trying to get a lock, while I try to keep the damn thing still. lol

Im actualy getting much better at this stuff. managed to hover yesterday! so, with abit more pratice I should be good

Raptor1
05-29-10, 02:35 PM
Just learn the stand-off ranges. :yep:

Strela goes at most 5km, your Vikhrs reach 7km, up to 12km if you get enough altitude so they can coast down. Most AAA doesn't reach beyond 2.5-3km, while you can use the cannon fairly effectively from 4km. Rockets and gunpods are close-quarters weapon; just use them to mop up after threats have been dealt with. Even so, you can use those from 2km, while the average MG won't reach beyond 1.5km.

Don't worry about how to dodge, worry about staying out of reach in the first place. :)

Bah, that's no fun. Draw your sword and charge for victory and glory!

Arclight
05-29-10, 02:38 PM
Should have seen me circling that convoy. :DL

Just need to trim it properly for the hover-hold to have enough input to actually hold. If you're drifting, press and hold the trimmer, manually correct so it stays in hover and release. Hover-hold will take care of the small adjustments needed to stay in hover; it can't bring you into one while flying at 80km an hour (not a good one anyway).

Up and running, be there in 30mins.

Task Force
05-29-10, 02:51 PM
rgr, will be.

Bah, that's no fun. Draw your sword and charge for victory and glory!

Good luck with that. lol

HunterICX
05-30-10, 10:45 AM
Count me in to the rotor destruction :yeah:

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/2530/3005101807.jpg

HunterICX

Task Force
05-30-10, 10:47 AM
Welcome to Rotor land hunter. lol:up:

Raptor1
05-30-10, 10:58 AM
"Warning Engine Vibration. Warning Engine Vibration. Right Engine Fire. Left Engine Fire."

Note to self: Watch altitude when setting up to launch missiles. Obtain swimming suit.

Schroeder
05-30-10, 11:41 AM
LOl, Ive got my Ejection reflexes down... lol just missile dodging. lol
Wow, one sentence (or almost one) and three lols.:o

Count me in to the rotor destruction

You guys really want to make me buy one too, huh......:wah:

Obtain swimming suit

Here is one that could fit you:
http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/54/1012554/6337656235646534.jpg:D

Task Force
05-30-10, 12:01 PM
trying to break my LOL record. lol.

Oberon
05-30-10, 12:47 PM
I'm surprised Schroeder, surprised and disappointed in you.
Since you could not be courageous enough to deploy it, I shall do it for you.

Raptor, here you go:

http://www.jaunted.com/files/3/borat_cannes_2.jpg

:salute:

In other news, wish I could join you guys but I have a strooong hunch that it would take one look at my machine and choke and die. :damn: And that's not even beginning on my finances at the moment

Raptor1
05-30-10, 12:52 PM
I think I need something a tad more fire-resistant...

HunterICX
05-30-10, 01:14 PM
:D I need a new kamov

@Oberon: you're able to run ArmA which is more demanding on System requirement then this.

at least so it is in theory.

System requirements Minimum Specification:*CPU: 2.0 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor*RAM: 512 MB*Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce FX series or ATI Radeon 9500 series or higher (Pixel Shader 2.0)*HD space: 3 GB (or more as needed for downloadable addons)*Operating system: Windows XP or Windows 200

Windows XP or Vista, 2 Ghz CPU, 1 GB RAM, DirectX 9 compatible 256MB video card (ATI or NVidia), 4GB of HDD space, sound card, internet connection (activation required)

on my case thought, the minimum recomended RAM is 2 GB and 5Gb of HDD space

HunterICX

Arclight
05-30-10, 02:13 PM
*sigh* gonna run out of helos again. :roll:

Arclight
05-30-10, 02:38 PM
Up and running, be there in 30.

Note that I switched the default S-8KOM rockets for S-80FP; these have frag warheads instead of HEAT. You can get the HEAT ones back through selecting payload as normal, while you can get more frag ones by selecting the "mision default" loadout (the S-80FP isnt in any standard loadouts).

Wanna try my dual-monitor setup. A whole screen for the Shkval should make it a little easier. :D

HunterICX
05-30-10, 02:44 PM
*sigh* gonna run out of helos again. :roll:

:hmph: Don't worry about that yet

I'll have to wait till they release V1.02 Spanish version :shifty:

HunterICX

Raptor1
05-30-10, 02:52 PM
Localized versions are awful, aren't they? :nope:

Oberon
05-30-10, 03:01 PM
Huh, odd...I'll do some research, if...and this is a VERY big if, I actually get a decent wage this month, I will build a stable for the flying pig and look into getting Black Shark. :yep:

Schroeder
05-30-10, 03:40 PM
Well I might have a look at it too after I'm done with my thesis (in round about three months....:roll:).

HunterICX
05-30-10, 03:54 PM
:haha:

tried a manual start without help, got as far getting the Batteries on and the Comms .... that's it :har:

I need to print out Lionclaw's start up list for reference :yep:

HunterICX

HunterICX
05-31-10, 04:33 AM
Looking at the TrackIr's now,

I'm thinking of getting TrackIr 4, any thoughts?

HunterICX

Arclight
05-31-10, 06:23 AM
any thoughts?
Just that it will make your life a lot easier. Have to get one too. :hmm2:

Lionclaw
05-31-10, 06:38 AM
Looked up TrackIR, seems really cool. A bit expensive, I can afford it but I don't know if I want to make such an investment at the moment though.

Edit: That would be really great addition to simracing too!! :o :hmmm: :yeah:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AO0F5sLdVM

Dowly
05-31-10, 07:28 AM
Looking at the TrackIr's now,

HunterICX

TIR4:PRO is what you want, dont QFT me on this, but I think the normal TIR4 doesn't have the vector expansion. Which means that you can only look left/right and up/down with it. TIR4:PRO allows you to watch left/right, up/down aswell as move your head around the cockpit, lean forward, backwards, lean to one side to look out of the cockpit's side etc. etc.

Oberon
05-31-10, 08:46 AM

HunterICX

Win the lottery? :hmmm:

Schroeder
05-31-10, 09:02 AM
You definitely want the vector expansion. Even if you don't use it it still makes looking around a lot easier. I don't use it in Il2 yet it is sooooo much better than without. Without it every motion you make with your head will be transferred into a rotating motion of your virtual head. So if you want to get a bit closer to your monitor to read a label on your instrument panel your virtual head will start to spin around. You want to lean back in your chair? Sure thing but don't forget to centre your track ir again. You roll your chair a bit to one side? No problem but don't expect to be looking straight ahead in your game any more (unless you recentre of course).
You will be surprised how often you make minor movements with your head that will totally screw up your view (I loved ground attack missions in Il2 without the expansion. As I went for the target I zoomed in and instinctively got closer to the monitor.... now I was looking at the cockpit's floor....boom).
With the vector expansion all those movements are tracked for what they are and if your game doesn't support it, or if you switch it off, those head movements will simply be ignored and you don't have to sit any more like a statue, afraid to do just the sightliest unwanted motion.
It makes Track IR an entirely different and so much more enjoyable experience. Those of you who flew with me while I didn't have the expansion surely still have damaged ears from my constant cursing.:O:

HunterICX
05-31-10, 09:49 AM
the Vector expansion module is for the TrackIr 3 only
http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-products/product-Vector-PRO.html

Vector tech is standart for the TrackIr4
http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-products/product-TrackIR-4-PRO.html

anyway, going for TrackIr4:Pro then

Damn on top of the 99$ the thing costs there's a internatiol shipping fee of 72$ :o

is there any relaible website that sells these TrackIr's for europe?

HunterICX

Arclight
05-31-10, 10:03 AM
Made some changes to the mission, read the briefing again next time you play. :)

And keep yer eyes open. :D

Dowly
05-31-10, 10:19 AM
is there any relaible website that sells these TrackIr's for europe?

HunterICX

There's 1 distributor and 2 dealers in Spain. Taken from the TIR's homepage, so should be reliable.

http://www.goalprice.com/catalog/index.php?language=es
http://www.coolmod.com/
http://www.corporate-pc.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=132

HunterICX
05-31-10, 10:21 AM
Cheers mate! :yeah:

HunterICX

Dowly
05-31-10, 10:24 AM
Np, darn they are still expensive. I think I bought mine for 140€ or something, not much of a price drop is there. :doh:

HunterICX
05-31-10, 10:33 AM
:haha: gotta love those crappy websites

they didn't wonder that it might be handy to have the list of what the package includes ...:nope:

anyhow, that track clip pro , whats that for actually?
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/8673/trackclippro.jpg

HunterICX

Dowly
05-31-10, 10:37 AM
The side thing is AFAIK the Pro clip, it's just another method to use if you dont want to use the hatclip. :hmmm:

HunterICX
05-31-10, 10:38 AM
and to look less as an ass behind the monitor I figure :haha:

HunterICX

Dowly
05-31-10, 10:39 AM
Yeh that too. :O:

Lionclaw
05-31-10, 10:58 AM
TrackIR 5 is available at only one dealer in Sweden, not as expensive as I thought it would be. :hmmm:

Oh, I hate these kinds of decisions... "Should I get it, should I not?" :-? :O:

Raptor1
05-31-10, 11:00 AM
I would've bought it, but it would ruin the whole sense of accomplishment at finally being able to look left with the hat now that I have my new joystick...

Lionclaw
05-31-10, 11:02 AM
A positive thing though would be that one could bind the different POV directions as something else, 4 extra buttons.

Dowly
05-31-10, 11:05 AM
A positive thing though would be that one could bind the different POV directions as something else, 4 extra buttons.

Such as the Shkval. :yeah:

Raptor1
05-31-10, 11:20 AM
Such as the Shkval. :yeah:

Aye, that could be quite useful.

Arclight
05-31-10, 11:25 AM
It is. :yep:

I have 3 hats, non of which are used for looking around. :lol:

Arclight
05-31-10, 11:30 AM
Up and running, for the next 3 hours or so.

See how the new stuff works out, if it works at all. :roll:

HunterICX
05-31-10, 11:34 AM
I wish they would hurry up wit the V1.02 Spanish patch :damn:

HunterICX

Schroeder
05-31-10, 01:25 PM
I wish they would hurry up wit the V1.02 Spanish patch :damn:

HunterICX
They'll do....after the siesta.:D

Arclight
06-01-10, 02:05 PM
Running, just having some dinner.

Task Force
06-01-10, 02:49 PM
Le server is not running. Or I cant find it...

Arclight
06-01-10, 04:18 PM
Given the odds, it must be you. :O:

Task Force
06-01-10, 06:54 PM
YAY, I got a air to air kill, except the target... was one of ares...

Arclight
06-01-10, 07:13 PM
No, was enemy, but it was "killed" already. The 2nd Vikhr I tossed at it killed the pilot. :)

Poor basterd kept on flying on into infinity. :lol:

HunterICX
06-02-10, 10:56 AM
My TrackIr has arrived this afternoon :yeah:

damn that's fast!

HunterICX

Dowly
06-02-10, 11:07 AM
You can find me from Steam all day if you got any questions regarding it. :up: (Away still means away, I might be wanking.)

HunterICX
06-03-10, 03:28 AM
Using trackir with DCS makes flipping the switches a lot easier :yeah:

HunterICX

Dowly
06-03-10, 06:02 AM
Here is the setup I'm using for Black Shark in case you can't be arsed to fiddle around the settings. :O:

The 'raise' (the speed of movement) is 5 for all the points, side ways, the outer ones start at 45 degrees, 35, 25, 15, 5, 0. I think the speed is good, the sideways thing is how much you have to move your head to get to the extremes, for example, I have to rotate my head 45 degrees to look back in the game, prolly gonna make that even smaller, maybe starting from 40 or 35 degrees. :hmmm:

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee274/Finnish_Ferret/TIRsetup.jpg

HunterICX
06-03-10, 06:12 AM
Cheers, will fiddle with my trackir DCS profile based upon those settings. :)

HunterICX

Dowly
06-04-10, 03:31 AM
Does anyone know if you can lose the ABRIS & Shkval from the HUD-only view? (SHIFT+F1 or CTRL+F1... or ALT+F1, aaaanywhoo)

HunterICX
06-04-10, 03:52 AM
*Note to self*

Warnings, take'm seriously :dead:

lost my rotor blades as I ignored the I A S warning :o

HunterICX

Dowly
06-04-10, 03:59 AM
Just check sometime the external view of how close the blades swing to each other in high speeds and you will never ignore the IAS warning again. :DL

HunterICX
06-04-10, 04:05 AM
:O: I think seeying the bits fly all around me of what once was the rotor blade was enough brown underwear material to keep in mind that I'll have to keep in mind the next time.:haha:

HunterICX

Arclight
06-04-10, 04:24 AM
I remember 1 time I got a warning from the LWR that some tit was painting me. I slowed down to have a look around, hard left rudder to get the threat in front. Next thing I saw was the left wing flying past the windscreen. :lol:

Last time I ever slowed down when getting a laser-warning. :yep:

Dowly
06-04-10, 04:29 AM
I've started to break my blades a lot recently. :hmmm: I blame groundcrew. :yep:

SgtPotato
06-04-10, 08:30 AM
I've started to break my blades a lot recently. :hmmm: I blame groundcrew. :yep:

I know how you feel, Dowly. I kept breaking my rotor blades "unexpectly". :nope:

Dowly
06-04-10, 08:40 AM
I think it's that now that I'm confident enough to fly the damn thing, I start to do maneuvers that I'm used to do in ArmA. :O: Hey, most of them work!... just not in those speeds I try them. :haha:

Arclight
06-04-10, 10:29 AM
Running. Working on a new mission every chance I get, but is still a way from complete.

Spike88
06-04-10, 11:27 AM
After watching the video Dowly sent me, and his signature I'm in the mood to play DCS Black Shark.But I keep giving up due to frustration.

Last time I tried I had just started using my brand new rudder, which was part of the problem that made me quit. When I would take control of the helicopter the rudder pushes to one side and stays that way. If I push all the way on the other side of the rudder it'll go to the middle. I Believe it has to do with my Saitek rudder, anyone have suggestions on how to fix?

Schroeder
06-04-10, 12:10 PM
Have you calibrated it under windows?

Dowly
06-04-10, 12:19 PM
Mate, we got a DCS thread already, juuust under this one. :O:

HunterICX
06-04-10, 12:38 PM
threads merged

HunterICX

Spike88
06-04-10, 12:41 PM
Mate, we got a DCS thread already, juuust under this one. :O:
It actually wasn't until I posted mine that I realized I had chosen the same title. I guess I should of named mine: Black Shark Rudder Help, although the fact it's in this topic works too. :haha:

@Schroeder: I think I did. I haven't touched it in over two months so I'll have to double check when I get home.

Dowly
06-04-10, 12:47 PM
@Schroeder: I think I did. I haven't touched it in over two months so I'll have to double check when I get home.

Yeh, better check it out. Sometimes these things might 'forget' the calibration. But atleast Saitek (joystick) can be calibrated in-game too by just moving rudder/axis' to the all extremes. :hmmm:

Arclight
06-05-10, 01:05 PM
Right, mighty bored, run the sever a bit. Nothing too serious.

Dowly
06-05-10, 02:40 PM
That was nice. :yeah:

Arclight
06-05-10, 02:52 PM
Yeah, figures you'd think so. :shifty:

Game locked when changing mission. :doh:

Dowly
06-05-10, 03:21 PM
Yeah, figures you'd think so. :shifty:

You just hate me because I was black!

Arclight
06-05-10, 03:23 PM
It's not you I dislike, it's those 30mm shells. :damn:

Dowly
06-05-10, 03:24 PM
Yes... they tend to ruin the day. :hmmm:

Arclight
06-05-10, 04:11 PM
Day, rotordisc, turboshaft... they just don't care. :stare:

Task Force
06-05-10, 05:26 PM
Hmm.. somebody got hit with a 30mm...

SgtPotato
06-05-10, 05:35 PM
is the server up or not? If not, blah. :zzz:

Task Force
06-05-10, 05:38 PM
lol, I dont know.

Dowly
06-05-10, 05:48 PM
Not up anymore, we flew for a bit and did cannon only dogfights with Arc & Lion. Just uploading TacView footage of the fights (DCS tracks were corrupted as usual so).

Arclight
06-06-10, 08:21 AM
Hosting dogfight for a bit. Ticked some options to enforce level playing field, guns only, no tracking.

Arclight
06-06-10, 12:02 PM
Let's try again, seems someone might actually join this time. :D

Raptor1
06-06-10, 12:04 PM
Dogfight? No thanks, I can barely fire with the cannon...

Arclight
06-06-10, 01:53 PM
Not a fan either, but same mission over and over ain't good either. Making new ones is far more painfull than it should be. :-?

Lionclaw
06-06-10, 02:06 PM
Just got a runtime error... :nope: But it was fun dogfighting. :DL

Frame rate got too low in the end though.

Task Force
06-06-10, 02:42 PM
Awww... WHY DO I ALWAYS MISS FLIGHTS!!! :har:

SgtPotato
06-06-10, 04:09 PM
Four of us (Dowly, Arclight, Lionclaw, and me) had good time while dogfighting. Also, Lion and I lol'd hard when we both have some mishap and close calls. :rotfl2:

Arclight
06-06-10, 05:00 PM
Bah, can't see a damn thing unless it's right in front of me. Normally use mouse-look, can't use that while maneuvering. Superb setup for normal CAS/ground attack, doesn't work for dogfights though.

Just hope that TIR gets here soon. :D

Arclight
06-08-10, 03:15 PM
Running good ol' mission, few additions. Keep yer eye on the sky. ;)

Unpause in 15min.

Task Force
06-08-10, 03:27 PM
OOOOOOO....:o What can it be.

Oberon
06-08-10, 05:17 PM
OOOOOOO....:o What can it be.

http://www.simviation.com/pageimages/KY-pzl_p11c1.jpg

:dead:

SgtPotato
06-08-10, 05:35 PM

Rofl.

Oh, that plane...

Task Force
06-08-10, 06:54 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT AGAIN, NEVER AGAIN!!!!:o I remember those from poland...

Arclight
06-09-10, 06:27 AM
Right, found MP campaign, "Dogs of War": http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=50724

Here's the .pdf for reference: http://www.filefront.com/16694889/Dogs-Of-War-Campaign--Rev-1_Single.pdf/

Not to be pushy or anything, but I would expect that if you want to fly it, you know how to set up the datalink (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1403525&postcount=7) properly. It's not like it's complicated. Also, at least know what the PVI-800 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1404613&postcount=17) is, so you can bring up waypoints and targetpoints.

Also, some more advanced knowledge about navigation (abris and PVI) and communication is required. I'm thinking only the flight-leed really needs to know these things; he can leed his flight in navigation and send targets over datalink (ill do a write-up on that for the procedures thread).

So, we'll need to set up a regular night. Was thinking we could do Tuesdays, start the mission at the regular flight time for the Waffles (currently 20:00GMT). Actually, mission can drag on for 1-2 hours, so might wanna make that 30mins earlier. Open for discussion of course, so any suggestions are welcome.

Might also wanna wait untill ED releases the localization patches. Then everyone can join and there's some more time for practice.

HunterICX
06-09-10, 06:46 AM
Might also wanna wait untill ED releases the localization patches. Then everyone can join and there's some more time for practice.

Apreciate it, checking DCS's website daily...and their forum too on any word of perhaps a ETA :shifty:

hopefully it will be soon, if not don't wait for just me to finally be able to play with you lot, just go ahead and I'll drop (literally) somewhere in the process.

HunterICX

Arclight
06-09-10, 06:51 AM
Or restart the bugger, if we progressed at all; I have this sneaky suspicion it's gonna take some effort to get this bunch flying together. :D

As evidenced by the blinking icons on my abris last night, indicating neither of my 2 colleagues bothered setting up their data link-ID. :roll:

HunterICX
06-09-10, 06:53 AM
As evidenced by the blinking icons on my abris last night, indicating neither of my 2 colleagues bothered setting up their data link-ID. :roll:

:haha: and here's me paying attention on what the instruction missions have to say about the features of the kamov ka-50 :har:

HunterICX

Dowly
06-09-10, 07:22 AM

Heeey, I put my ID on at one point! (Tho, it is possible I have missed a switch :O:)

What does it do anywho?

Arclight
06-09-10, 07:51 AM
Yeah, it was on, but both you and TF were set as lead on the same frequency. I actually always set myself up as wingman, 'cus I know it's gonna happen. :roll:

Displays a numbered icon on Abris, flight-lead (#1) has extra border around it. Also let's you share datalink data; if 2 units have selected the same number, it conflicts and creates an error. You'll notice the numbered icon on Abris jumping back and forth between 2 positions as well.

The auto-sequence always sets you up as lead; #1 and "DATA" knob on "COM". In that case, if you're not flight-lead, just select a proper number (one that isn't in use) and turn the knob to "WINGM".

If there's more then 4 choppers (or more than 1 flight, could split into 2 flights of 2 for example), the 2nd flight should turn their radio to a different frequency.

Dowly
06-09-10, 07:56 AM
Ya, I had myself as #2 & wingman at one point, but just for that sortie, I seem to forget to tinker with it usually. :hmmm:

Arclight
06-09-10, 08:04 AM
You ever recieve anything over data link? I try to point out the AA defences, but I'm pretty sure TF isn't getting the data. :hmmm: :O:

Dowly
06-09-10, 08:06 AM
You ever recieve anything over data link? I try to point out the AA defences, but I'm pretty sure TF isn't getting the data. :hmmm: :O:

I had the datalink go all blinky blinky whenever I switched between the nav targets. :hmmm:

Arclight
06-09-10, 08:41 AM
You mean the one on the left, overhead? If the "memory" button flashes, it means you received something. Just push it and it will be send to memory, popping up on the Abris.

Dowly
06-09-10, 09:11 AM
You mean the one on the left, overhead? If the "memory" button flashes, it means you received something. Just push it and it will be send to memory, popping up on the Abris.

Yes, that one. But it kept sending me it whenever I changed nav target from 2 to 3 and back to 2 for example. :DL

Arclight
06-09-10, 09:27 AM
Weird. :doh:

Maybe there was target in cue or something, and it warns eveytime you mess with the PVI. :hmmm:

*sigh* trying to play that "Oilwar" campaign; wingman is useless and they send me back a phase after doing exactly what I was tasked with. :shifty:

Running the server a bit, can't stand SP anymore. Reboot first though.

Arclight
06-11-10, 10:51 AM
Righto, server's up. Running mission, test TIR a bit, see if that HMS is a bit handier now. :)

Arclight
06-15-10, 02:42 PM
Right, just some practice then;
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj2/EZatHome/th_Scr_10-06-15_21-24-59.jpg (http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj2/EZatHome/?action=view&current=Scr_10-06-15_21-24-59.jpg)http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj2/EZatHome/th_Scr_10-06-15_21-25-55.jpg (http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj2/EZatHome/?action=view&current=Scr_10-06-15_21-25-55.jpg)http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj2/EZatHome/th_Scr_10-06-15_21-26-03.jpg (http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj2/EZatHome/?action=view&current=Scr_10-06-15_21-26-03.jpg)http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj2/EZatHome/th_Scr_10-06-15_21-26-14.jpg (http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj2/EZatHome/?action=view&current=Scr_10-06-15_21-26-14.jpg)

Try a bit of canyon flying and low level flight. Plenty of trucks to empty ammo on. Start empty, so need to select load-out and refuel.

Flight-lead has route, so follow the "leader".

Is running but paused, and imma using ma TS. Unpause it when we get some people.

HunterICX
06-16-10, 05:38 AM
this is just INSANE! http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7688/hbjawdrop.gif

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=41358

HunterICX

ReM
06-16-10, 06:34 AM
Now that is what I call a pit! This guy means business.

my wife would think I'd lost it if I tried anything remotely like this at home.........gotta admire the creativity though.

SgtPotato
06-16-10, 07:29 AM

HunterICX

It need the cup holders.

Arclight
06-17-10, 04:38 AM
It needs this: http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/17/thrustmaster-unveils-its-perfect-replica-hotas-warthog-flight-co/

Catch some sneak-peaks at DCS:A-10C as well. ;)

HunterICX
06-17-10, 04:47 AM
Wow, thats a nice stick :yeah:

but I think that baby will burn a big hole in your wallet :haha:

HunterICX

Dowly
06-17-10, 07:30 AM
Can't say I've ever been into those replica sticks. I mean, they are mean't to house just few buttons with rest being all around the cockpit. Rather take something with lots of buttons to take off the need to use keyboard as much. Tho, cool for those home made cockpits I guess. :hmmm:

Arclight
06-17-10, 07:36 AM
It's for the fans; I feel the same, about those pits as well. Is nice if all you play is that 1 sim, but for multiple games/sims, prefer an all-rounder stick/setup. :yep:

Ubergeek87
07-10-10, 10:41 AM
DCS: Black Shark is now available for purchase via Steam at:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/61000/

This version uses standard Steam copy protection, not Starforce.I hope they release A-10 there too.:yeah:

Geno_Mariner
07-12-10, 03:55 AM

HunterICX

Everyone will think me insane if I ever had one of those :haha: But that is just awesome :o

Arclight
08-27-10, 10:58 AM
How about picking 1 day a week to do some basic stuff? Just some "shooting range" type missions, maybe bit of adversarial; might be fun creeping about and sniping each other with Vikhrs. :hmmm:

Just some practice, interactive training.

Dowly
08-27-10, 11:02 AM
ArmA, Blackshark and TLD (in our case) spanned around one week. Gonna be a tough one. :DL

Arclight
08-27-10, 11:40 AM
And the Waffles, of course.

keltos01
06-14-11, 05:29 AM
are there any other helo playable in Black Shark ?

I was wondering if the Hind was at all playable ? I remember a helo sim called Hind a while back, but since here there are so many helo models including the hind...

keltos

Raptor1
06-14-11, 05:44 AM
are there any other helo playable in Black Shark ?

I was wondering if the Hind was at all playable ? I remember a helo sim called Hind a while back, but since here there are so many helo models including the hind...

keltos

Nope, each DCS game focuses only on a single platform, so Black Shark only has the Ka-50 and A-10C only has...well, the A-10C...

keltos01
06-15-11, 12:09 AM
ok thanks

I might just try the black shark, though the A-10 is my favorite aircraft along with the SU-25....

keltos

Dowly
06-15-11, 06:32 AM
Question: Is damage to the rudder NOT modelled in DCS:BS?

The reason I'm asking is because a quite large portion of my tail may or may
have not fallen off while I was flying and the only noticeable effect it had was
slight instability. Hammerhead, spinning in place, everything worked as if
major chunk of my tail wasn't a pile of junk metal laying on the runway. :hmmm:

Arclight
06-15-11, 09:10 AM
Most of the force is generated by the twin-rotor discs.

Helos with 1 disc need a tail rotor to keep them from spinning right? Instead, Ka-50 uses a counter-rotating secondary rotor disc. They cancel each other out normally (almost, hence the need to trim rudder) but that force can be varied to spin the thing around.

Dowly
06-15-11, 09:35 AM
Well, yeah, I get that. I just thought it would have had more impact to the
controls than that. :doh:

I shall continue my experiments. :know:

Herr-Berbunch
06-15-11, 09:46 AM
a pile of junk metal laying on the runway.

You called :hmmm:

Dowly
06-15-11, 10:54 AM
:DL

Dowly
06-15-11, 12:10 PM
See, this what I mean it being in pretty much the same control as without the tailfin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXE3MIQsLI8

Apart from the slight wobbliness, only other thing I noted was it's tendency to go nose down after a particularly tight turn (such as hammerhead).

Then I proceeded to mop the concrete with the Kamov, it started to show signs of caring when the whole tail section dropped off. :haha:

Arclight
06-15-11, 01:31 PM
Er, looks fine to me. What was your max speed through that run? Don't think the tail rudder even does much untill 70-80KPH. Pretty sure not having to swing the mass of the tail around, and that vertical area not producing any drag as you do so, will actually make it easier to turn. :hmmm:

Dowly
06-15-11, 02:00 PM
Umm... top speed was probably 140-150kph around the time I passed the tower in side-slip. :hmmm:

But this all begs the question: What the hell does the rudder input do? Well, apart from moving the rudder obviously. :doh:

Arclight
06-15-11, 02:10 PM
Give a little extra authority, I guess. The tail is there primarily to stabilize flight. The faster you go, the stronger the forces. So at high speed the bit of extra force from the tail rudder comes in handy in deflecting the tail, even if only for trimming.

longam
06-15-11, 04:54 PM
If you can still rotate the fuselage after breaking off the tail then there is a major problem with the flight sim. The wash from the rotors overs the tail fin should provide enough force to do this.

Arclight
06-16-11, 08:34 PM
Not sure I understand what you mean. :06:

Sledgehammer427
06-16-11, 09:55 PM
I don't want this to stray too far offtopic, but, I'm looking into buying Black Shark. I know my way areound flight sims bu helis aren't my big thing. Realism is however. its still 40 bucks, but, while I'm already pretty much sold, is the online multiplayer stable? good? how about the rest of the game...is there a campaign mode with 5+ missions....is there a decent stable of user created missions?

i see this flight night stuff going on. any fun?

Sledgehammer427. popping up with all the big questions :D

Arclight
06-16-11, 10:29 PM
Can't recall the thing ever crashing, except 1 or 2 of the beta releases of A-10C. Is it any good? Well I'd say it is. Same ol' thing with more people (ideally). Campaigns are decent, definetly more than 5 missions. Some are made with branching results for succes and failure, but it's not exactly dynamic. Say you fail one mission and then have a succes on the one you get after that, you'll flow back to the one you failed. There is definitely some user created stuff (http://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=87&order=desc&page=2)out there.

Flight Night is quiet. Just Dowly and me for the Ka-50 and Berbunch and me for the A-10C. I'd fly it alone if no one showed up at all, so not a problem, but we could use some more pilots.

Herr-Berbunch
06-17-11, 06:58 AM
Arc, still up at 5.30am! :nope:

Sledge - I only recently got BS, and it is good but it is a very steep learning curve coming from other sims. Occasionally I'll manage to drop into Arc's server on a Wednesday and just practice, practice, crash, practice, whilst the others just get on with the mission in hand - I try to stay out of their way. (I may have overemphasised the practice - more crash, crash, practice, crash - but still enjoyable). The only downside is the start-up procedure is slow (realistic!), no just hopping in and setting off like in most sims. Only a real pain if you crash as often as I do. :doh:

I think A-10C is better, maybe just because it's newer, maybe because it's not a helicopter and thus easier to fly. I don't understand why more people haven't joined in the Thursday Flight Nights.

I've just checked currency conversions, and for $40 it's about what I paid, but cheaper than I could get it for now. :yep:

Sledgehammer427
06-23-11, 02:14 AM
well, I played the demo and Black shark and A-10 did this for me...

I'm building a new rig.
my pc meets reqs and can barely handle the game.

Herr-Berbunch
06-23-11, 09:58 AM
Here are some handy places for advice/guides -

http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Resources_for_New_Pilots

A brilliant write-up on why certain things in a Ka-50 are different, and what can be done to help combat these (stop me crashing so often?) - http://simhq.com/_air13/air_427a.html

Edit - @Arclight, I've only just read it so my 53 crashes last night can be forgivable?

Kapitän Schneider
06-15-12, 10:10 AM
Anyone know any tips or tutorials on how to do a proper landing? I can do a Lolwaffles landing just not a text book landing.

Arclight
06-15-12, 10:19 AM
Easiest is with some forward speed, rolling landing. Lot more stable. Stable course, 40-60KMh (can do higher though, but even just 40 is plenty stable), descend to touch-down and slowly lower collective fully (don't dump it, the sudden change in torque will throw your direction off). Use wheelbrakes to slow. It helps a lot to reset trim on touch-down.

Another method is a controlled aproach to the point that both speed and altitude reach zero on your desired landing spot. Rather tricky to establish a descend that has both continously decreasing at the proper rate, but you don't have to deal with the fine control of hovering.

Trickiest is landing from a hover imho. Very easy to over-correct and start drifting or lose control entirely.

Practice on airfields; nice big runway. FARPs are pretty darn tricky.

Kapitän Schneider
06-15-12, 10:41 AM
I've been trying to practice just flying around the airfield I took off from, but when lowering collective I drop out of the sky like a stone.
Usually what happens is I lower collective, the nose starts pointing down and then i've hit the ground to hard. Tried pulling back on the stick but that doesn't work I just destabalize.
I tried a forward landing at 50KMh but still came down to heavy. I thought it might be a problem with the trim but no matter what I set it to, I still end up a burning hulk.

Dowly
06-15-12, 10:45 AM
Sure you aren't lowering altitude too rapidly? Think the manual says that you
shouldn't lower alt faster than 5m/s, but when close to ground I tend to stick
at max. 3m/s.

If you lower alt too fast, you'll end up in vortex ring. Can't miss it, nose goes down
and things say BEEP BEEP BEEP!!! :O:

Arclight
06-15-12, 11:01 AM
Also, in case you missed it: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=170158

Particularly #18, maybe #24.

Kapitän Schneider
06-30-12, 02:13 PM
Ok I think i've got landing down to a fine art of, landing perfectly one mission, smoking hole in various parts of the airbase and landscape another mission.

I was wondering, do you guys use the + & - on the num pad to raise and lower collective or do you operate it on your joysticks?

Arclight
06-30-12, 02:41 PM
Joystick. Don't even touch the keyboard unless I need to navigate the comms menu.

Kapitän Schneider
06-30-12, 02:51 PM
What joystick do you use Arc?

Arclight
06-30-12, 04:05 PM
X-52. Just about enough buttons and such to get the job done... bit short on hat switches for the A-10C.