PDA

View Full Version : What the?

AVGWarhawk
02-17-09, 11:30 AM
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,24659589-5005369,00.html

In my house, if it is yellow let it mellow. If it is brown flush it down. Saves on water. :D

Digital_Trucker
02-17-09, 01:02 PM
Hell, as bad as it got here, drought-wise, we've been turning the water supply to the toilet off and filling the tank with saved bath water. Too bad somebody hadn't thought of "grey water" systems for homes long ago, it would have cut water usage back considerably.

ReallyDedPoet
02-17-09, 01:05 PM
Hell, as bad as it got here, drought-wise, we've been turning the water supply to the toilet off and filling the tank with saved bath water. Too bad somebody hadn't thought of "grey water" systems for homes long ago, it would have cut water usage back considerably.

Nice idea DT :yep:

Digital_Trucker
02-17-09, 04:23 PM
Nice idea DT :yep:
Can't take credit for it 'cause I read it somewhere. It works pretty well except for the soggy feet and ankles after taking a shower and the grunge in the tub. If we could find a way to store the water from the tubs and washing machine (and somehow transport it upstairs to the other two bathrooms), we could probably cut our water bill in half (and help save the fresh water mussels in Abalama, too). Retro-fitting a grey water system would do the trick, but it's kind of expensive.

AVGWarhawk
02-17-09, 04:41 PM
I suspect that new homes being constructed that this idea could be implemented quite easily. :hmmm: Some sort of filter system and this water pumps to a holding tank or toilets after every bath or shower.

longam
02-17-09, 04:47 PM
That would be kinda like a commercial building where the sanitary is separate from sewage leaving the building. Then it would be easy to recover, filter, recycle. Just don't drink the water.....

ReallyDedPoet
02-17-09, 05:40 PM
Retro-fitting a grey water system would do the trick, but it's kind of expensive.

Perhaps in time with more folks considering this type of system, the cost will come down.