PDA

View Full Version : Curiosity questions about crew

Robedslv
02-14-09, 04:22 AM
I've tried several tricks I found in many threads regarding crew management, but I still cannot find the answer to some interesting things. It's basically curiosity, I don't think it would change the way I manage crew or how I approach attacks. But here are the questions:

1. How come flak gunners get hurt if the flak gun is damaged, BUT THE SUB IS SUBMERGED? The flak gunners shouldn't be affected by damage to the gun itself... Supposedly, when the ship is submerged, flak gunners are in their bunks or helping with regular maintenance.

2. How is it that the CO knows that there was damage to the flak gun or to the deck gun if the sub is submerged? Realistically, there would be no way to tell from inside the sub. One would only check external features for damage when the sub is taken to the surface.

3. Regarding "Rig for Silent Running": Many times while I'm running silent, I hear the stupid whistle and "Relieve the watch!!!" order. Obviously, this is ridiculous, if I'm trying to be silent. Same thing happens with different klaxons being sounded while I'm running silent. Is there a fix for this?

As I said, mere curiosity.

Schroeder
02-14-09, 05:52 AM
Top side crews, like gun crews and watches are regarded as external crews by the game. Even when you are submerged and the crew is supposed to be inside the game regards them as being at their station on the topside of the boat and therefore vulnerable to any attacks. So if you know that you are going to be depth charged you better get the crew to some internal crew slots (any crew compartment that is inside the boat including the damage controlteam slots should work).

To 2. and 3. I belive this is hard coded.

Sailor Steve
02-14-09, 03:57 PM
1. Is screwy. You're right. Schroeder's advice is good, but it would be nice if it was automatic.

2. Again you're right. This has been a problem of every sub sim since Silent Service back in 1985.

3. That one is your fault. As soon as you see an enemy of any kind, sound General Quarters. This will put everybody on station, making the boat much more efficient, and will stop watch changes, since they are all already at their duty posts.

One warning, though: as soon as the combat is over, Secure From General Quarters, or like some others you'll be posting again asking "How come my crew are all asleep at their posts, and I can't make them go to their bunks?"

Robedslv
02-14-09, 04:42 PM
Thanks, Captains. :salute:

Incidentally, I only sound Battle Stations when facing a task force. Normally, I go for merchants without Battle Stations. But Steve's point is very well taken, and I'll try to get myself to do it more frequently.