PDA

View Full Version : XP Home Hangs Upon Network Connect

sonar732
02-12-09, 04:34 PM
Ok...I've searched on these forums and thru google.

XP Home SP3
2ghz Processor
1gb ram

DSL 4 port router with XP Pro and problem computer connected.

The computer boots up fine in safe mode and when not connected to the internet. As soon as I plug in the network cable, the system freezes. Is this a SP3 issue in that my network card isn't compatible? MS Knowledge Base is no help at all.

Thanks in advance...

Sonar732

AVGWarhawk
02-12-09, 06:35 PM
Highly unlikely it is a card that is not compatible. Why are you booting in safe mode? Does the computer boot normally without the internet connected to the card?

sonar732
02-12-09, 07:00 PM
Highly unlikely it is a card that is not compatible. Why are you booting in safe mode? Does the computer boot normally without the internet connected to the card?
The computer hangs either right before or during the welcome screen when the internet is connected. When I boot up w/o the internet connected everything is fine...as soon as I plug in the ethernet cable, it freezes up.

longam
02-12-09, 07:33 PM
http://support.hubris.net/configuration/xp/network_xp.html

Have a look at this page to compare your settings while unplugged from the router.

The Type of Dial up might differ...

CaptainHaplo
02-12-09, 08:19 PM
Sounds like a problem initializing the TCP/IP stack

Boot into normal windows with the cable uplugged
Go into the control panel -> Network Connections - and you will find the connection - in a "not connected" state. Delete the connection entirely. Shut down and plug in the cable - reboot.

If it locks up again - go into the add/remove of Windows and actually remove all then reinstall the TCP/IP stack - as well as the Microsoft file and print share if you have it on the machine. Reboot after removal - and again after the reinstall. This will correct any stack issues.

Just to verify its not your card or the stack - boot without the cable attached - then open a command windown (Start - Run - type in "cmd' without the quotes and hit enter). Type

ping 127.0.0.1

Even with no cable connected - you should get a response. If it locks up your machine - your looking at the stack being the most likely culprit, but it could possibly be the card.

If the stack fix doesnt work, reboot again sans cable, go into device manager and uninstall the card - reboot and let it get readded. Its possible sp3 screwed up the nic drivers and if thats the case - letting it soft reinstall should fix it.

Good luck.

AVGWarhawk
02-12-09, 09:12 PM
Also, for a quick try, go to network connections and click properties. There should be a button that says repair. Click it and see what she does.

longam
02-13-09, 08:58 AM
Also, for a quick try, go to network connections and click properties. There should be a button that says repair. Click it and see what she does.
I was trying to think of an easy way to do the ipconfig cmds, forgot about that feature.

SteamWake
02-13-09, 11:55 AM
Check that XP installed the correct driver for your network interface. Be it onboard the mobo or a descrete card. Find out the make and model of your NIC get the correct drivers and install them.

XP is infamous for mis identifying a NIC and going ahead and installing drivers it sees fit. Often everything works fine, however sometimes not so much.

sonar732
02-14-09, 07:39 PM
I went thru the device manager and uninstalled the NIC, than shut down the computer and allowed a reinstall. Wala...the internet works now. Thanks all!:yeah: