PDA

View Full Version : Computers as Amps?

Zachstar
02-10-09, 02:19 AM
I have heard of an idea to use the computer itself to power high wattage speakers but most of the time it was shot down due to interference in the computer.

I guess that went away look at this!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130206

Intelligent Digital Amplifier Technology uses DSP audio processing to protect your system from being overwhelmed by loud noises and sounds while meeting THX Ultra2 performance requirements.

Wow! I know its possible to hack some speakers into being able to use the 5.1 mini outs on most newer mobos but this is the first that actually is built for such. Throw some bookshelf speakers and a passive sub on this and you got a nice little HTPC for the living room.

Has anyone seen Component out on a mobo before? Another new feature!

SteamWake
02-10-09, 01:39 PM
It is a descrete audio amplifier whats the big news?

Zachstar
02-10-09, 03:27 PM
The big news is it is the first. And the first designed for home audio use.

The ability to purchase this and use some used bookselfs instead of going out and buying a separate receiver or expensive 5.1 analog speaker set it quite huge.

My setup with just a single digital out from the sound card has cost me over 500 dollars by the time the dust settled.

Also think about this in terms of the computer guru who just wants to dabble in the world of multichannel audio. A THX certified board and no need to go on a 100 page topic on a forum to find out the amp you are looking at is missing a feature.

If one comes from just a Stereo mindset it is nearly impossible to understand why this is important. Stereo is EASY you can get a 30 dollar bookself amp from wal-mart and a miniplug to RCA cord from radio shack and thats that. but for 5.1 the game changes completely.