PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up for an Attack...Question

Captain Hill
02-09-09, 03:25 PM
I remember seeing this in one of the multitude of tutorial videos or documents I read on how to effectively use the TDC/PK (I am running a campaign in HARD mode, so I get no "help" on TDC data), but I can't seem to remember if I 'saw' it correctly or if I was imagining things. OK, here goes....

I know that sticking your periscope up in a convoy should be kept to a minimum. I remember that one of the vids showed that you'd

ID the ship,
lock (L) the scope,
engage the PK,
get an initial distance/bearing and then
DOWN SCOPE.The video waited a minute or two (to allow the target to track) and then...

UP SCOPE to find the scope still tracking the target ship,
a quick second distance/bearing check, then
a course/speed calculation, then
adjust the AOB to the correct measurement,
quickly reconfirm distance/bearing a final time and
off the fish goes!My question -- Why is it I can't get my scope to stay on the target craft after a scope-down? Should it? Did I imagine that aspect of the video?

Thanks to all who contribute here! Oh, BTW, I am running TMO 163 (with the patch) and HUD MOD for TMO 163.

Dan

Captain Hill
02-09-09, 03:31 PM
Some corrolary questions --

When using the stadimeter, is it always the last two (2) measurements that are used to calculate speed and course of the target, or does the stadimeter need to be "cleared" if the target changes course? If so, how?
My manual says that the speed and course buton needs to be pressed twice with a time interval in between to calculate speed and course of target. Why, then, does a single click report course and speed? Was this a manual typo? I'd have thought that it was distance and bearing (stadimeter) taken twice that'd give enough data for a speed and course.

Rockin Robbins
02-09-09, 03:48 PM
That was WernerSobe's Advanced TDC/PK video. There was some stuff he left out, like entering target speed and course. He assumed you had already done that in the video. Let me get home on a familiar computer and I'll put my two cents into this topic. I hate having to use a copy of Internet Exploder instead of my Firefox and all my personal bookmarks and add-ons. Stand by....:timeout:

Captain Hill
02-09-09, 03:57 PM
Stand by....

Many thanks! I look forward to your input.:yeah:

Powerthighs
02-09-09, 05:30 PM
I'll let Rockin Robbins go into detail, but the scope doesn't track the target while it is under water. However, if you have correctly put the target's data into the PK, it will constantly tell you what the current bearing is to the target. Before you put the scope up the second time, just point the scope at that bearing and when you put it up you will be staring straight at the target.

Rockin Robbins
02-10-09, 02:24 PM
Ah......back to my Firefox. I really hate Internet Exploder. What I really hate is not having all my bookmarks, favorites, passwords, all the stuff that makes me at home on the Internet.

I ran through a conventional check bearing attack last night to clear my mind on how everything works. I found that without radar things are MUCH more problematic, so let's assume you have radar on your boat.

Step 1: establish course and speed. You can do this while out of sight using your radar. Use your pencil to plot a location, start the stopwatch and plot the location three minutes later. Connecting the two positions and extending the line in his direction of travel establishes the target track. The distance in hundreds of yards between the two positions is his speed in knots. Enter the speed into the TDC.

Step 2. Maneuver for a good shot opportunity. You want a torpedo run of under 1000 yards if possible and a torpedo track angle of around 90 degrees (the torpedo perfectly t-bones the target). IMPORTANT EXCEPTION!!! Early in the war, 90º torpedo track angles result in duds. You're better off looking at 45º (torpedo track angle starts at zero at the bow and goes through 180º at the stern) or 135º track angles. Also, if you shoot from ahead and miss there is usually enough time to set up for another attack without having to move too much.

Step 3. Go ahead and start the position keeper. You really can wait until you get your last measurement, the range/bearing, but if you forget.... Turning it on too early hurts nothing. Let's get a preliminary AoB. Now this is realistic with radar. Without radar, it's the Mark I eyeball for you! With your protractor, click ahead of the target on the target track, again on the middle of the target and a third time on the middle of your sub. In the angle at the target will be a label for the number of degrees in the Angle on the Bow. It's starboard or port, depending on the side of the target you can see. Send that to the TDC.

Step 4. Identify the target and use your stadimeter to take a range/bearing measurement and send it to the TDC. Do this immediately after you enter the AoB.

Step 5. It's time to go to the attack map. Your TDC/PK makes a virtual target, shown as an x on the attack map. You can also see the real target. Is the x on top of the real target? Is it moving at the same course and speed so it STAYS on top of the target? You can tweak whatever you need to so it stays superimposed. If it isn't moving on the same course, your AoB needs adjustment. If it's moving too fast or too slow, that's a no-brainer isn't it? And if it is too close or too far away it's time for another stadimeter sighting. Now, if it's too far away or too close, but a line from your sub to the x still crosses the target position, that's a hit! As long as it is moving with the target and remains a hit, you can shoot even though the setup isn't technically right.

Step 6. Open torpedo tubes, wait 20 seconds or so to make sure they're open, recheck your settings on the attack screen, massaging if necessary and fire away. If you fire more than one torpedo don't waste them by firing multiple torpedoes at the same spot. Use your spread dial to alter the aim a couple degrees left and right for subsequent shots. Multiple hits don't give multiple damage when they hit the MOT (middle of target) every time.

Step 7. If you're using RFB, take your time to decide whether further hits are necessary to sink 'em. Compartments don't flood instantly. It may be 10 or 15 minutes before you have a feel for what's happening or not happening.

That's about it. If you download Nisgeis' and Hitman's in-game Torpedo Spread Angle Calculator, you can actually compute the proper spread angles. Don't be a bonehead and forget to submerge before he comes into sight. That can ruin your whole day.:rotfl:

You never need to "reset" the stadimeter or the position keeper. They work just like a spreadsheet where new data replaces old data. Locking the scope just automatically turns the scope to keep the MOT centered. If the scope is lowered the lock is lost.

Unless you have no choice I wouldn't use the estimate speed and course function. It depends on the accuracy of your stadimeter measurement and it isn't. It's too easy and too accurate to develop speed and course from radar plot.

Captain Hill
02-10-09, 02:47 PM
I ran through a conventional check bearing attack last night... speed and course from radar plot.

There's a wealth of info in your last post, RR. Thank you for the time. Although I do not have radar yet (when does that get offered as I am in mid 1942 with a Gato at present), I will take your advice to heart. I'm sure I will see an increase in my accuracy!

:yep: