GeForce 7300 GT w/512 RAM

proposed rig:
2 x 2.5 Ghz dual core
4 Gb RAM DDR2 x 800 Mhz
GeForce 9400 GT 1 GB DDR2

anyone has had any experience with this video card

AVGWarhawk
02-09-09, 03:17 PM
I have not had any experience with that card but I understand that the 9400 is getting a bit outdated. Currently I run a GT 9800 and these are going for about $99.00. It might be worth taking a second look at a faster card. For a few more dollars than the 9400, you will have a better card. Just my .02 cents. :salute:

Also, your 4 gig of RAM...are you running 64 bit?

cgjimeneza
02-09-09, 03:19 PM
I have not had any experience with that card but I understand that the 9400 is getting a bit outdated. Currently I run a GT 9800 and these are going for about $99.00. It might be worth taking a second look at a faster card. For a few more dollars than the 9400, you will have a better card. Just my .02 cents. :salute:

xp 32 bit.... no plans for xp pro

and how much memory does your card has? does it make a diff (1024 x 512 mb)

Zachstar
02-09-09, 03:34 PM
For postprocessing yes. On a 9400 however the card will bog down from graphics to render before it even has a chance to touch AA and such.

Go for the 9600 at least. Otherwise before you know it you will be buying a newer card and wasting money

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500077

This card can do a small amount of AA before it bogs down or can likely be able to play all 2009 games just fine.

BTW if you are even nearing 4gb of ram GO 64 bit! I have heard people having stability issues running a 4gb setup on 32bits.

Edit: 9400s have one purpose.. HD Content. They are just powerful enough to render blu rays on a passive heatsink. Not useful for any modern game.

cgjimeneza
02-09-09, 03:48 PM
For postprocessing yes. On a 9400 however the card will bog down from graphics to render before it even has a chance to touch AA and such.

Go for the 9600 at least. Otherwise before you know it you will be buying a newer card and wasting money

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500077

This card can do a small amount of AA before it bogs down or can likely be able to play all 2009 games just fine.

BTW if you are even nearing 4gb of ram GO 64 bit! I have heard people having stability issues running a 4gb setup on 32bits.

Edit: 9400s have one purpose.. HD Content. They are just powerful enough to render blu rays on a passive heatsink. Not useful for any modern game.

but for SH4 and Battle of Britain II?????

dont see anything interesting in the games sphere..... Im more of an old but known guy....

AVGWarhawk
02-09-09, 04:27 PM

xp 32 bit.... no plans for xp pro

and how much memory does your card has? does it make a diff (1024 x 512 mb)

Here is the first issue. You are getting 4 gig of RAM. XP 32 bit or just 32 bit in general will not see more than 3 gig of RAM. With that said, you will save $ by not getting the entire 4 gig because 32 bit will not use all 4 gig. 64 bit allows the full 4 gig to be seen and utilized. Zachstar is correct in analysis of the 9400. Also, you are kind of in a catch 22. I run Vista 64 bit. Runs like a champ. I have no bugs and issues that everyone claimed. This is the OS currently and Windows 7 is just on the horizon. From what I read, a well polished Vista is what Windows 7 is in all reality. So, you are like me when I purchased a new system. Stay with XP, move up to Vista? 32 bit or 64 bit? As I searched and studied, most if not all of computing is going 64 bit. I decided to to Vista 64 as a result. So, with that said, I would recommend Vista 64 bit because you system you are building will utilize Vista's capabilities and up to 8 gig of RAM. Now, your computer is only as fast as it's slowest part. In your case, the 9400 will be your slowest part. I suspect for a few dollars more you could go the 9600 or 9800. I would really look around before you make your decision. At any rate, running SH4 and say COD World at War should not be a problem with the 9400.

And, to answer you question, my 9800 had 512mb memory. It is DDR3.

Here is a nice one at Tigerdirect:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4209965&CatId=28

If anything, look over the Newegg and Tigerdirect site. Plenty of reviews of the cards and excellent prices. And again, SH4 and BoBII should work just fine. I look at this way. If the parts you are getting are in fact a sizable upgrade to your current rig and these two games play ok, then the upgraded systems should play them VERY well.

AVGWarhawk
02-09-09, 04:37 PM
I found this recent post created a few weeks ago:

NVIDIA 9400 GT rocks

NVIDIA, the largest seller of high graphics card has introduced the crown to the graphics card series by its 9400 Geo force GT. This will produce the best graphics ever for any game. For all the game freaks, this will produce the ultimate gaming environment. I bought the graphics card recently and I am enjoying my favorite games like Prince of Persia and FIFA 09 in a great way I have ever experienced. Offload video processing and usage of 3D widgets are also giving me more fun. This graphics card gives twice the performance offered by the 8 series graphics card introduced before. It will convert your PC into a multimedia laboratory with great features within this low cost high performance hardware. With more and higher graphics games coming up, it would be great to play with such a graphics card.
This entry was posted on Saturday, January 31st, 2009 at 6:14 pm and is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 (http://www.heartlanddrivingschool.com/?feed=rss2&p=84) feed. You can leave a response (http://www.heartlanddrivingschool.com/?p=84#respond), or trackback (http://www.heartlanddrivingschool.com/wp-trackback.php?p=84) from your own site.

It plays Prince of Persia very well according to this person. So, the two games you like should run great. But, never say never on games over the horizon not looking to good. I got COD World at War from my wife for Christmas. I just threw it out there for her when she asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I did not really care what I got. In fact, I asked for nothing. Anyway, the game is just kick butt. I too, thought there is nothing on the horizon. These games are coming!

Check out this thread:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=144480

I built my current rig to run this puppy.:DL

Skybird
02-09-09, 07:24 PM
If not needed to do it right now, I would wait with building a new rig right now, and wait for the new OS and see reports on how it behaves. Check customer feeback in summer. There might be recommendations for new hardware coming from that info.

AVGWarhawk
02-10-09, 09:33 AM
The new OS is Windows 7. About 1 million downloaded the beta and say it is the most stable OS MS has offered...ever. As far as hardware, if it can run Vista it will certainly run Windows 7 because Windows 7 is the culmination of Vista tweaks and additions that are now fine tuned into a full, stable OS. What cgj is looking to purchase as far as hardware will work well with Vista. If you use that Vista system performance program. I suspect he will be in the 5's and probably the 4 for 3D graphics.