PDA

View Full Version : PlayStation 3 question?

conus00
02-06-09, 02:58 AM
My g/f is a sweetheart and bought me (delayed) Christmas present: An Playstation 3!
Here is my question: I have heard that some versions of PS3 are backward compatible and can play PS2 games (the series which s/n ends up with CECHA01) and I would like to know if my PS3 (CECHL01) can do the same thing?
Thx!

danlisa
02-06-09, 03:45 AM
It's easier to tell by HDD size.

ONLY the 60GB original launch model will allow backwards compatibility on PS2 games. However, every model allows BC on PS1 games.

From your model number, I can tell it's a new 80GB model i.e you have no Media card slots and only 2 USB ports.

There MAYBE a future software patch to allow software emulation but this is as yet unconfirmed. Personally, I would keep/buy a PS2 to play any games you want to keep using, they're cheap enough now, £30 tops in the UK.

conus00
02-06-09, 03:48 AM
Mine is 80GB, 2 USB slots model...

danlisa
02-06-09, 03:57 AM
Mine is 80GB, 2 USB slots model...

Then you can't play PS2 games.

Add me to your PSN friends list if you like and I can help you with anything else, should you need it.:up: PSN = Danlisa

conus00
02-06-09, 08:22 AM
Now that sucks! Do you think that it is hardware or software issue? I hope for software because that is (eventually a hopefully) fixable... :damn:

longam
02-06-09, 08:57 AM
Playstation.com listings of models and compatibility

http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstation.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=232&p_sid=LjvD2Opj

danlisa
02-06-09, 09:14 AM
Playstation.com listings of models and compatibility

http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstation.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=232&p_sid=LjvD2Opj

Ah, my bad - DUBLIN as in the us version.:88) LOL

US or SCEA models vary somewhat to the PAL versions. The link explains all. You might be able to get an exchange.

FWIW, the SCEA 60GB model used Hardware emulation which allowed all PS2 games to play but the newer 80GB Models used Software Emulation which means a percentage of PS2 games are supported until Firmware updates correct it.

Chad
02-06-09, 01:09 PM
Maybe danlisa was hitting on this already, but try going into the Playstation Network and downloading a driver utility for backwards compatability with PS2 games. While I have the 60gb and it already plays them, while looking one afternoon I found this and think it might be useful, worth a shot.

Sonarman
02-06-09, 01:41 PM
Now that sucks! Do you think that it is hardware or software issue? I hope for software because that is (eventually a hopefully) fixable... :damn:

Neither it's Sony's profiteerring and arrogant attitude. Backwards compatibility was in the original US released PS3 in hardware, then Sony released in Europe with only a software emulation which they then deleted from the later models. Bottom line they don't want you playing old games, and want to kill off the second hand market. Their arrogant attitude has cost them a lot of money and put the future of their games division in doubt, I for one will not cry over it's demise.

FIREWALL
02-06-09, 01:47 PM
I talked with danlisa in the past about a PS3 and which way to go.

I guess I'll just stick with my PC until this gets straightened out.:yep:

Fr8monkey
02-06-09, 04:45 PM
PS3 is ueless.....

Can't play SHIII:O:

Lagger123987
02-06-09, 08:43 PM
My brother have an 80GB model that can play PS1 and 2 games. Not sure when did he get his, never mind.....