PDA

View Full Version : Fear tactics !

SteamWake
02-05-09, 11:34 AM
Barrack warns "Pass this stimulus Bill NOW or we may never recover" !

Now who was it whom said "The greater the rush to pass a bill the more time should be taken to examin it".

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090205/ap_on_go_pr_wh/congress_stimulus_126

Right out of the Liberal playbook page 10 I believe.:dead:

Enigma
02-05-09, 11:38 AM
Scare tactics are out of the Democrats playbook!? Oh, that's rich.....

:har::har::har::har::har:

:har:

SteamWake
02-05-09, 11:41 AM
Scare tactics are out of the Democrats playbook!? Oh, that's rich.....

Global warming comes to mind...

But hey... lets discuss the 'content'.

Is it cruical that this bill pass NOW or were all doomed to live out our lives in poverty, scraping to get by, digging through dumpsters for scraps of food?

Tchocky
02-05-09, 11:42 AM
Yeah, climate change can't possibly be happening.

I mean, it's snowing right now.

AVGWarhawk
02-05-09, 12:00 PM
The bill sucks....it needs to be fine tuned. Creating panic is not the way to go here. Obama has lost control of this. It is apparent. He needs to be a leader and not create panic. For crying out loud, we have a house leader, Pelosi, who just yesterday said 5 million Americans lose there jobs monthly...????? This is billions of tax dollars being looked after by this twit who has out of touch with the world ramming this bill up our rear end.

UnderseaLcpl
02-05-09, 12:39 PM
I hope the Republicans can stamp this damn thing out. It's like the New Deal or the Great Society all over again. Evidently we forgot how spectaculaly sucessful those were:shifty:

SteamWake
02-05-09, 12:45 PM
I hope the Republicans can stamp this damn thing out. It's like the New Deal or the Great Society all over again. Evidently we forgot how spectaculaly sucessful those were:shifty:

The thing is that they dont need the Republicans to pass any bill now.

Fortunatly there are a few Dems that recognize the stench and are hesitant to push the button.

Theres crap in that bill like $10,000,000.00 to renovate some ATV trail somewhere. How in the hell is that supposed to stimulate the economy?

AVGWarhawk
02-05-09, 01:23 PM
It is pork Steamwake. It is Obama attempting to satisfy his supporters in the campaign. It is senators getting money for their states...another elections is coming ya know:doh:

baggygreen
02-05-09, 04:07 PM
Kevin Rudd has announced a $48 billion package down here. It'll send us from having a $25B surplus last may to having a $25B deficit, in 12 months.

He's demanding that our opposition ratify the bill immediately. Why? votes, of course. Part of the bill gives $950 to every single person who paid tax last year who earnt less than $80,000. Thats most the workforce! Of course, now Rudd is claiming the opposition are robbing everyone of free cash they need to get by and the country needs to survive at all..

The problem is, the Bill mentions giving $25 million to housing for defence members. Thats cool, except the figure stated in the bill is actually $250 million. Typo. Whoops. Perhaps Rudd, and Barry, should take heed of the adage "haste makes waste".

Rockstar
02-05-09, 04:37 PM
Panic and fear, it sells. Btw whatever happened to hope and change? President Bush did the same thing with the gotta get it in before Friday or we're doomed speech.

Call me a conspiracey theorist or looney I don't care but this seems to me as being driven down our throats by both sides. I mean if all this money goes in there will as some say going to be an over abundance of it triggering hyper-inflation down the road. Will the answer be to introduce a new (global) currency to get things under control as the Weimar <sp> Republic did?

Im taking off my tinfiol hat and going back to my cave to hide now :salute:

UnderseaLcpl
02-05-09, 05:13 PM
Panic and fear, it sells. Btw whatever happened to hope and change? President Bush did the same thing with the gotta get it in before Friday or we're doomed speech.

Call me a conspiracey theorist or looney I don't care but this seems to me as being driven down our throats by both sides. I mean if all this money goes in there will as some say going to be an over abundance of it triggering hyper-inflation down the road. Will the answer be to introduce a new (global) currency to get things under control as the Weimar <sp> Republic did?

Im taking off my tinfiol hat and going back to my cave to hide now :salute:

Actually, that concern is not entirely baseless. There are indications that some form of international currency might be introduced, and it has, in fact, been discussed. Others think that there is some kind of plan to create a "New World Order".
I tend to shy away from those ideas, they sound too conspiratorial for my taste, but who knows?

In any event, whether there is some sinister plot at work or it's just a result of competing political agendas, the idea begs the question; "Why do we give these people this much power at all?"

Rockstar
02-05-09, 08:45 PM
Kinda reminds me of going through boot camp. First they break you, then they build you back up their way.

UnderseaLcpl
02-05-09, 09:00 PM
Kinda reminds me of going through boot camp. First they break you, then they build you back up their way.

I suppose it reminds me of that a bit as well. Not that that would buy them anything in my view. That's another story, though.

darius359au
02-05-09, 09:16 PM
Kevin Rudd has announced a $48 billion package down here. It'll send us from having a $25B surplus last may to having a $25B deficit, in 12 months.

He's demanding that our opposition ratify the bill immediately. Why? votes, of course. Part of the bill gives $950 to every single person who paid tax last year who earnt less than $80,000. Thats most the workforce! Of course, now Rudd is claiming the opposition are robbing everyone of free cash they need to get by and the country needs to survive at all..

The problem is, the Bill mentions giving $25 million to housing for defence members. Thats cool, except the figure stated in the bill is actually $250 million. Typo. Whoops. Perhaps Rudd, and Barry, should take heed of the adage "haste makes waste".

The other thing in this bill from Krudd is he wants to raise the Borrowing limit for the Government -instead of the current limit of 75 Billion dollars , he wants it up to 200 Billion :o , looks like my kids and their kids will be stuck paying off another labour goverment debt :nope:

baggygreen
02-05-09, 09:24 PM

The other thing in this bill from Krudd is he wants to raise the Borrowing limit for the Government -instead of the current limit of 75 Billion dollars , he wants it up to 200 Billion :o , looks like my kids and their kids will be stuck paying off another labour goverment debt :nope: And dont forget the 3 generations after them, mate

SteamWake
02-05-09, 10:33 PM
Dident BO promise us that this kind of bill would be 'posted' for all to see at least 5 days prior to the vote?

Oh ... they dont have the 'technology' in place yet.

They promise to have it in place 'soon' :cool:

Free Beer tommrow.

Digital_Trucker
02-05-09, 10:35 PM
Dident BO promise us that this kind of bill would be 'posted' for all to see at least 5 days prior to the vote?

Oh ... they dont have the 'technology' in place yet.

They promise to have it in place 'soon' :cool:

Free Beer tommrow.
Well, sort of. He promised to post it for review for 5 days after it got to his desk (got passed) before he would sign it. But he's already broken that promise, and he only promised to do that for "non-emergency" bills. I think he considers this one an emergency judging by the scare tactics he's using to attempt to flummox Congress and the Senate into passing it rapidly.

CaptainHaplo
02-05-09, 11:33 PM
Well for the record - in my view the "R's" don't get a pass on this - they are now screaming how this is a horrible bill full of pork - yet right before the current President took office - they rammed 700 Billion down our throat. Funny they were not concerned with the pork in that one (and yes - it was there.).

However - thankfully a few "D's" have also seen this as a bad move - and this is going to be a very defining moment when it goes to a senate vote. Now recall - this is only phase 2 - the talk is already starting on how phase 3 will be needed in late march / early april.

Ultimately - the government trying to get involved in the market is a bad move regardless. Until the people figure that out - and let the market correct itself - we will continue to get more and more government interventions.

For all those that think thats a good thing - I ask you - can anyone name 5 things that our government has ever overseen from top to bottom and hasn't screwed it up with inefficiency, reduncency, corruption and waste?

I sure can name alot of things the government STUPORvises and are a paragon of what NOT to do....

Enigma
02-06-09, 12:30 AM
Krugman sums up my feelings exactly.....

So what should Mr. Obama do? Count me among those who think that the president made a big mistake in his initial approach, that his attempts to transcend partisanship ended up empowering politicians who take their marching orders from Rush Limbaugh. What matters now, however, is what he does next.
It’s time for Mr. Obama to go on the offensive. Above all, he must not shy away from pointing out that those who stand in the way of his plan, in the name of a discredited economic philosophy, are putting the nation’s future at risk. The American economy is on the edge of catastrophe, and much of the Republican Party is trying to push it over that edge.

Enigma
02-06-09, 12:39 AM
...and by the way, re: the OP, could you point out for me where the word "now" is in the article you posted? And while your there, point out what the "fear tactics are? Because, well....

"This recession might linger for years. Our economy will lose 5 million more jobs. Unemployment will approach double digits. Our nation will sink deeper into a crisis that, at some point, we may not be able to reverse,"

...this is true. This isn't issuing ridiculous terrorist alert levels raised the day before a major political event. This is reality....

August
02-06-09, 12:48 AM
Krugman sums up my feelings exactly.....

Why is Republican support so vital Enigma? Don't the Democrats have the numbers in Congress to pass their own bill?

Aramike
02-06-09, 01:42 AM
...and by the way, re: the OP, could you point out for me where the word "now" is in the article you posted? And while your there, point out what the "fear tactics are? Because, well....

"This recession might linger for years. Our economy will lose 5 million more jobs. Unemployment will approach double digits. Our nation will sink deeper into a crisis that, at some point, we may not be able to reverse,"

...this is true. This isn't issuing ridiculous terrorist alert levels raised the day before a major political event. This is reality....Terrorist attacks have actually happened recently and have precedence. Our economy suffering unrecoverable damage has NOT happened recently - or ever - (economic strength is cyclical) and has no precedence.

This is fear-mongering at its worst. The "Stimulus" package does nothing to stimulate the economy. It's nothing more than an orgy of liberal agenda spending and it should sicken ALL Americans that certain politicians are using our current economic hurt to advance their pet causes. They know that Americans want a bill passed sooner than later, so they're using that urgency to force through crap that can't pass on its own.

Enigma
02-06-09, 02:15 AM
:yawn:

Aramike
02-06-09, 03:33 AM
:yawn:Smilies are a great way of making a statement without actually having to flex the intellectual "muscles" required to make a point, right? :doh:

Rockstar
02-06-09, 09:27 AM
I thought this article interesting. I for one always thought during the whole campaign Obama wasn't the one running. Rather he was propped up as the front man by old farts in the back rooms of power who hadn't a chance of being president themselves.

Because they're pulling his strings there will be no leadership from him only confusion and mismanagment. I suspect at the end of four years he will only be the fall guy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/05/AR2009020502766_pf.html

btw I am partial to Krauthammer I think he's reasonable in his observations

Digital_Trucker
02-06-09, 09:54 AM
Obama claims that we must pass HIS economic stimulus package now or things will get much worse, but he's just now getting around to get economic advice from outside of DC?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/07/business/07web-econ.html

Is it just me, or does it sound a bit strange for one side of his face to be saying he knows what needs to be done and the other side of his face to be saying he needs advice from outside of Washington to know what to do?:hmmm:

Enigma
02-06-09, 11:48 AM
Hey, January's numbers are out!

*January job losses: 598,000
*Job losses from Nov-Jan: 1.8 million
*Unemployment rate: 7.6%
*Unemployed workers: 11.6 million
Yeah, no hurry....

August
02-06-09, 12:05 PM
Yeah, no hurry....

What's the matter, my question too difficult to answer?

Let me ask it again. How does it become the Republicans fault when the majority party in congress can't get it's own legislation passed?

Edit to add a missing quote tag

UnderseaLcpl
02-06-09, 12:40 PM

Yeah, no hurry....

That also completely ignores the question of whether or not the stimulus bill will address the problem properly. Considering that virtually every measure the government has ever taken to address economic crises has essentially failed entirely, as well as costing a great deal of money, I'd say it is a valid concern.

SteamWake
02-06-09, 02:38 PM

Yeah, no hurry....

That also completely ignores the question of whether or not the stimulus bill will address the problem properly. Considering that virtually every measure the government has ever taken to address economic crises has essentially failed entirely, as well as costing a great deal of money, I'd say it is a valid concern.

Well not ALL have failed miserably. The Regan tax breaks were fairly effective.

But what is being legislated right now :hmmm: the phrase 'money pit' comes to mind.

UnderseaLcpl
02-06-09, 04:26 PM

Yeah, no hurry....

Well not ALL have failed miserably. The Regan tax breaks were fairly effective.

But what is being legislated right now :hmmm: the phrase 'money pit' comes to mind.

When I say "government measures" I mean legislation and the like. I'd lump letting people have their own money in with market economics. Sorry for not being more clear.:oops:

In any case, there is a lot of public controversy over the "money pit" right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnX-D4kkPOQ