PDA

View Full Version : offsetting point and shoot

greyrider
02-05-09, 01:28 AM
offsetting point and shoot training video, 06:36 minutes long
video http://files.filefront.com/13205735
mission folder http://files.filefront.com/13205743

i got an email from a member, his name is urge, he was interested in using torpedo offsets, and asked me if i could give him a print out of the chart in the cic mod of offset angles, because he cant use the mod.
well, that chart only goes out to 10° either to port or starboard, and the offset angle dial in sh4 goes out to 20°, port or starboard. so i thought i would make a small training video using torpedo offsets with
the point and shoot technique, and see what happens. i made a mission, two t-3 tankers, range 2000 yds plus, moving in column, 600 yards apart, making 12 knots, course 270 r to submarine, closing.
i applied the largest offset angle we could put on the torpedo, which was 20°, and to starboard. now this is a very large offset, and there was a good chance that the torpedo would miss the target, but i applied it anyway,
just to see if the target could be hit . i chose the trailing t-3 tanker, applied 20°s offset to starboard, depth 25 ft, using mk-14 torpedo, speed 31 knots, contact fuse.
now, with a target speed of 12 kts, and a torpedo speed of 31 kts, offset 20°S, you have to shoot the target when the target is on bearing 38° starboard. and since that bearing was pretty wide, i might be able to get another shot
off on the leading target, using a fast mk-14 at 46 kts. so i set a second torpedo, same depth, speed 46 kts, for a 0° offset, which meant i would have to fire when the lead t-3 was on bearing 15°,
tale had made a vid, of attacking two targets at once, nothing wrong with the way he did it, because i was doing that in sh2, but never carried it over to sh3 or 4, the point and shoot method had become my primary shooting method by sh3.
the one problem with tales demo is of course determining the targets range, that is, at least for me it is. the point and shoot method disregards range as a factor in targetting, so not only is this video a demonstration of appling offset angles, its also demonstrates that the point and shoot technique is
enhanced using offsets, and the kill zone is magnified, targets can be engaged on multiple bearings now. i chose the most difficult offset i could, if the torpedo could hit at 20°offset, then it certainly will hit with smaller offsets.

for 12 kt target speed, offsets and firing bearings would be as follows below, the mission is also in the folder of the training, jgme ready, and if you want to, you can load up the mission, and fire using any one of the offsets and bearings
below, and test drive offsets.

at some point, i want to make offset charts of all speeds ive seen in sh4, like 1 to 20 kts, for just one torpedo, the mk-14, and get them into the cic mod, but i dont know when i will get it out, so in the meantime, if this offsetting method interests you, you can make your
own offset charts using that great torpedo solution calculator by dave sandberg, intercalc.
hope this answers some of the questions you might have about offset angles urge,
good luck
grey

mk-14 torpedo

bearing---heading---target speed---torpedo speed---offset angle
21------------270 -------------12------------------31--------------------0
22----------------------------------------------------------------------------1
23----------------------------------------------------------------------------2
24----------------------------------------------------------------------------3
25----------------------------------------------------------------------------4
26----------------------------------------------------------------------------6
27----------------------------------------------------------------------------7
28----------------------------------------------------------------------------8
29---------------------------------------------------------------------------9
30---------------------------------------------------------------------------10
31----------------------------------------------------------------------------12
32---------------------------------------------------------------------------13
33---------------------------------------------------------------------------14
34---------------------------------------------------------------------------15
35---------------------------------------------------------------------------17
36---------------------------------------------------------------------------18
37---------------------------------------------------------------------------19
38----------------------------------------------------------------------------20

bearing----heading---target speed---torpedo speed---offset angle
15-------------270 -----------12-----------------46----------------------0
16---------------------------------------------------------------------------1
17---------------------------------------------------------------------------3
18---------------------------------------------------------------------------4
19---------------------------------------------------------------------------5
20----------------------------------------------------------------------------6
21----------------------------------------------------------------------------7
22----------------------------------------------------------------------------8
23----------------------------------------------------------------------------9
24----------------------------------------------------------------------------10
25---------------------------------------------------------------------------11
26---------------------------------------------------------------------------12
27--------------------------------------------------------------------------14
28---------------------------------------------------------------------------15
29--------------------------------------------------------------------------16
30--------------------------------------------------------------------------17
31--------------------------------------------------------------------------18
32--------------------------------------------------------------------------19
33--------------------------------------------------------------------------20

Rockin Robbins
02-05-09, 11:37 AM
Greyrider, I'm not quite understanding you here. Is your process:

Make a chart to compute the lead angle for given target speeds and relative courses.
Set the TDC for speed zero, AoB zero, range not specified
Set the spread angle for your offset angle, either right or left, depending on the direction of the target.
Point the periscope at the target impact and shoot?
I can see how that can work. I'm not clear what the advantage would be so I suspect there is something here that I'm not catching.

I'm thinking your chart could be a graph and Nisgeis' TSAC could be used as a pattern to give you a way to take different relative angles between own course and target course without having a book of charts.

Wilcke
02-05-09, 12:46 PM
Looks like more math! My weak point! I am downloading and going to check it out the Tylenol is at hand, cause I know I am going to get a headache with math.

Rockin Robbins
02-05-09, 07:49 PM
If it's what I think it is, instead of just turning the dial on the TDC to the target speed you look on your multiplicity of charts for the set of charts for your torpedo and speed setting, then ..... and finally pick the wrong column and miss. There's not enough information in the movie to tell what he is doing. Apparently not knowing anything about the target, either course or speed or range, he can set the spread at right 20, sight on the hind boat moving from right to left and shoot. Then he sets the spread to zero, sights leisurely on the first, shoots and comes up with two simultaneous hits. Obviously there isn't enough information in the video to see what is going on. We don't know anything about the targets, he doesn't show us the TDC settings, we don't know what the shoot bearings of the torpedoes are, we don't even know whether he's on auto targeting or manual targeting. I'm calling hoax on this one, or that there is a LOT of missing information. It's obviously a carefully set up position like shooting a pool trick shot. It is apparently amazing but actually has no application in a real game as presented here.