PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything worth saving the earth for?

baggygreen
02-04-09, 10:27 PM
Stories like this below really make me wonder why do we bother worrying about preserving the earth for future generations.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/741086/boys-caught-roasting-puppies

Does anyone deny that there is more and more similar sorts of things happening amongst kids these days? I really can't imagine the future being too nice a place more and more often over the past couple of years.. and to think that people like this will be parenting their own kids in 15 years time..

Enigma
02-04-09, 10:50 PM
God almighty.....:nope:

Syxx_Killer
02-04-09, 10:56 PM
Thank God that passerby arrived when she did. This whole story is just beyond disgusting. At least the puppies will be getting good homes.

UnderseaLcpl
02-04-09, 11:10 PM
What an abhorrent thing to do:nope: . I'd love to meet the brats and beat their sorry a**** myself.

Despite recidivistic behavior like this, I have no doubt that the future of mankind is worth preserving. First-world countries have largely succeeded in ending genocides and torture (within their borders), and generally treat animals humanely. Of course, there are exceptions, but they are exceptions, not the rule. And as a species, we're arguably pretty gentle and fuzzy compared to a lot of the animal kingdom.

Besides, it isn't as if there was a period in history where these kind of things didn't happen, just a lot of periods where there was no mass media to report it. Whether or not the trend towards such delinquent and twisted behavior is increasing is the subject of a lot of speculation. On that point I have nothing of value to say since I am not a parent and have no idea what raising a child is like.

Zachstar
02-04-09, 11:13 PM
Wait a min? Why was there not an arrest?

These are sick ****s. This is not burning a bug with a lens this is flat out evil. If they do not receive serious phyco help now they will grow up to be abusive to their families and could even kill before they get thrown in prison.

If nothing is done than merry old England can economically whither and die as far as I care.

And yes left wingers. Animal Abuse is a crime in most civilized nations. And in most cases the judge can order a mental evaluation.

BTW: Undersea that last post was your post count 1776... Weird! And even more weird is mine! 1076!

joegrundman
02-04-09, 11:26 PM
So what's weird about those numbers?

p.s. i'm deeply shocked about the roasting of puppies too, but in this country until recently we used to think it jolly entertainment to have our dogs tear foxes apart after chasing them on horseback tootling on bugles as we go our merry way.

and in korea, people eat dogs, although admittedly they kill them before roasting.

Zachstar
02-04-09, 11:35 PM
Big difference.

Fox hunting is a sport. Just as hunting is for trophies.

What these young did was not sport. It was evil.

joegrundman
02-04-09, 11:37 PM
yes, i'm deeply shocked. but i want to know what's so weird about the numbers

UnderseaLcpl
02-04-09, 11:40 PM
BTW: Undersea that last post was your post count 1776... Weird! And even more weird is mine! 1076!

1776! The year of Independence! Only a month hence to the day! And I didn't even notice:nope:

And, according to my calculations, I am approximately 40% more spam-happy than you, given our respective join dates.

I'm not sure about 1076, though.

A Very Super Market
02-04-09, 11:47 PM
I believe the three signs of a serial-killer-to-be are, mutilation of small animals, bed-wetting past expected age, and pyromania. :hmmm:

Aramike
02-05-09, 03:22 AM
Don't you people understand that, while there are morons and sick bastards out there like the people that would do such a thing, there are MANY, MANY more of us who find such acts disgusting and deplorable?

Hell yes, there's something worth saving the Earth for - people like us!

Generalizations get us no where...

Onkel Neal
02-05-09, 03:47 AM
Ah, we're getting better. In the olden dayes, people used to do this to other people. :o

antikristuseke
02-05-09, 04:13 AM
Big difference.

Fox hunting is a sport. Just as hunting is for trophies.

What these young did was not sport. It was evil.

So if adults enjoy cruelty towards animals its a spor,t but when children do it is evil?
Not sure I understand your line of reasoning. anyhow, that being said I find what those children did appaling, but at the same time trohpy hunting is only moderately less appaling, though hunting when you actualy consume the killed animal, or when it is done to maintain a predator to pray ratio, is ok in my book.

joegrundman
02-05-09, 04:33 AM
Don't you people understand that, while there are morons and sick bastards out there like the people that would do such a thing, there are MANY, MANY more of us who find such acts disgusting and deplorable?

Hell yes, there's something worth saving the Earth for - people like us!

Generalizations get us no where...

you rate yourself quite highly. Are you quite sure that you (and the others like you) are worth saving the Earth for?

and in reference to the other theme in this thread..surely there's more to the numbers than that?

My current post count was a year too, and i'm sure something happened in it.

I think maybe if you combine 1776 and 1076 into one big number you get the number that won the lottery jackpot last week, and coincidentally is the serial number on your car chassis.

HunterICX
02-05-09, 04:41 AM
A good proper beating with a good kick under the arse would purge them from those evil thoughts :stare:

HunterICX

clive bradbury
02-05-09, 09:10 AM
Well, I'm quite keen on saving the earth until I die...then everyone can go f.... themselves...

AVGWarhawk
02-05-09, 09:17 AM
Ah, we're getting better. In the olden dayes, people used to do this to other people. :o
Yeah, good point. All have to realize that the news needs to sell and get ratings. How to do this? Tell the folks all the bad crap that has happened for the day. So, as much as you see people just doing the dumbest, cruelest things in the world, there are many that are doing nice and human things in the world. Unfortunate feel good new broadcasting does not draw ratings. In other words, would rather watch 30 minutes of 'Cops" on TV or 30 minutes of 'Puppy Superbowl'? So, what am I trying to say? Yes, it is worth saving for future generations because there are many in the future generations that are good and decent. The news folks will not show this because it just does not sell. Any any rate, I with HunterICX on this one. Throw in some community service as well...such as cleaning the pens at the local dog pound.

Letum
02-05-09, 09:21 AM
Well, not very nice, but far from the greatest evil about.
It's a un-newsworthy trifle compared to the smallest of human tragedies.

Kapt Z
02-05-09, 10:42 AM
really horrific.:nope:

Isn't that what they say about psychopaths.....that they start off mistreating animals when they're kids???

GoldenRivet
02-05-09, 11:00 AM
Well, not very nice, but far from the greatest evil about.
It's a un-newsworthy trifle compared to the smallest of human tragedies.

agreed

dont let puppy roasting on the part of a few evil kids ruin all faith you ever had in humanity.

you must remember that the news agencies have a "news recipe" they strictly adhere to.

it calls for 1 part of good news for every 50 parts of bad news.

you just have to remember that there are countless good things that never get reported.

FIREWALL
02-05-09, 11:01 AM
With 20,000 + members on this website I'm sure we have some sick and perverted bastards here.

It's a shame it wasn't a large man that caught those boys.

Enigma
02-05-09, 11:36 AM
Is the earth worth saving? Yes.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_0q5sDZxB_Jg/SOIjTJ567CI/AAAAAAAAC5I/GSb8X7Ei9WU/s400/3.jpg

:haha::yeah:

Frame57
02-05-09, 11:38 AM
I will have to quote Billy Jack on this one "...it-just-makes-me-go-BERSERK":damn:

baggygreen
02-05-09, 05:18 PM
caught me on a gloomy day - house purchase was taken from under me, got told my performance isn't worthy of a raise (even tho I've not gotten a raise in 2 years) and my car got broken into. Then I saw this and feeling glum, and took the melodramatic option.

However, the new age of thinking is that these kids need to be told that it was wrong to do what they did, but that its ok, they didn't know it was wrong. Its a load of rubbish because as I think most here at least agree, it deserves a right kick up the arse, maybe a smack with a leather belt.

yes this story is one of the more 'out-there' ones. But we've remarked often enough about those kids who are going out of control, who show no respect to anybody but themselves and even then, not always themselves. I fear that this particular article is symptomatic of a more widespread issue that's becoming more and more prevalent. If kids aren't given boundaries, then what sort of lesson are we giving them? We can't smack them, its abuse. We can't tell them they're wrong, or mark in red pen in case it upsets their development. We can't impose curfews on them, because it infringes on their rights, even though they're our responsibility according to the very same courts.

Kids are being brought up to realise there are no consequences to their actions, and I fear what that will bring.

baggygreen
02-05-09, 05:21 PM
Oh, and Enigma wins:yeah:

Enigma
02-05-09, 05:23 PM
:salute:

Aramike
02-05-09, 05:53 PM
you rate yourself quite highly. Are you quite sure that you (and the others like you) are worth saving the Earth for?Yes.

Platapus
02-05-09, 07:02 PM
I am never surprised at the depth that the human animal can sink.

Disgusted and outraged? Yes, but sadly never surprised.

Humans suck.

Kapitan_Phillips
02-05-09, 07:24 PM
It's a shame it wasn't a large man that caught those boys.

You're damn right.

joegrundman
02-05-09, 07:26 PM
you rate yourself quite highly. Are you quite sure that you (and the others like you) are worth saving the Earth for?Yes.

confidence is always to be respected:salute:

Rilder
02-05-09, 07:33 PM
Stories like this below really make me wonder why do we bother worrying about preserving the earth for future generations.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/741086/boys-caught-roasting-puppies

Does anyone deny that there is more and more similar sorts of things happening amongst kids these days? I really can't imagine the future being too nice a place more and more often over the past couple of years.. and to think that people like this will be parenting their own kids in 15 years time..

If it was me who found these kids I'd be having a Christian style burning at the stake for their ****.

UnderseaLcpl
02-05-09, 09:07 PM
Humans suck.

Compared to what?

baggygreen
02-06-09, 12:14 AM
Humans suck.

Compared to what?Suckerfish?

Oh, wait...:doh:

:D

Aramike
02-06-09, 04:41 AM

confidence is always to be respected:salute:Indeed, especially when I said "others like me" I was clearly referring to people who are outraged at the behavior of the dispicable human beings in question.

One can say that believing compassion has a place on this world is thinking highly of oneself, but hey - there are worse things to be proud of than compassion for living creatures.

surf_ten
02-06-09, 09:28 PM
I once believe sort of Gene Roddenberry's view that humanity would put aside petty selfish needs and expand out into the cosmos. I guess I 'm growing more cynical as I get older cause now I have no hope for humanity. I doubt we will survive as a species. We tend to divide oursleves to easily into us and them.

August
02-06-09, 10:10 PM
I doubt we will survive as a species. We tend to divide oursleves to easily into us and them.

Every species does this. Take an ant from one ant hill and put him on another, the occupants will swarm out and rip him to pieces. Male lions upon taking over a pride will kill all the cubs not sired by him. Mammals, birds, fish, every species have their subdivisions and tend to be just as, or even more, ruthless to those from outside their social groups than humans are.

Man will survive. We have been prognosticating our imminent doom since the dawn of recorded time. In spite of that it hasn't happened yet.

NeonSamurai
02-07-09, 12:08 AM
Sadly this sort of thing is hardly new, man has for a long period of time taken pleasure in the suffering of other creatures. For example bear baiting, animal fights, or the practice of throwing cats tied in a sack onto bonfires for entertainment http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat-burning. This sort of stuff continues to this day in many countries.