PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

Locqlynn
02-01-09, 11:05 PM
i've played about 2 hours worth, and i got some questions

how do i automan the deck guns? i want to fire them, also, my crew never seems to fire at any airplanes

does the bow need to be at 0degrees for me to fire a torp?

i've not ran into any enemy boats while on missions so far, just planes and no one seems to attack.

Locqlynn
02-01-09, 11:10 PM
i went to the faq's and did not see a simple

here is the enemy,, this is what you do

enemy dies,,, now go and repeat

all the faq's i've read seem to be for advance users

also,, on the gauges to the left

its battery, o2, and what and what? i'm guessing one is fuel?

i've watched the simple training videos that came with the game, not much help there,, i did learn that you can talk to the nav guy, and he can get you out of port very easily.

and that men need to rest, is there a simple way to change out groups of tired men, to fresh alert men?

just going to keep firing off questions :)

Freiwillige
02-01-09, 11:16 PM
Well to man the Anti aircraft guns and deck guns you have to:

(A)drag an officer from the crew screen up on deck
(B)Click on the deck officer icon at the bottom of the screen and find the option man the deck gun, Man the AA gun, Man the deck and aa gun.
(C) Now you can click the deck gun icon on your left and shoot it!

No your torpedos will turn in the direction you have set in your torpedo data computer. Your torpedos will stay very accurate 20 degrees off of either side of forward (Or rear if using rear tubes) if the info in the TDC is correct. Beyond 20 degrees the chance that they will miss increases but they can feasably be fired beyond 90 degrees!

There are videos on youtube explaining TDC procedures that should help.

U-84
02-01-09, 11:18 PM
i've played about 2 hours worth, and i got some questions

how do i automan the deck guns? i want to fire them, also, my crew never seems to fire at any airplanes

does the bow need to be at 0degrees for me to fire a torp?

i've not ran into any enemy boats while on missions so far, just planes and no one seems to attack.

I had this problem before...what i did was I took control of one of the AA guns (providing u have 2 I assume) and began firing, and soon my other gunner joined in with me. Another thing to fix this is to order your WO to have the gunners assigned to him to start firing at enemy planes. Hope this helps...somebody else here probably has better info. as for your torpedoes...u can shoot them past 0 degress, but it's best not to shoot past 20 degrees either way. Also reediting my comment, to auto assign, put ur watch officer on deck, and crewmembers to on the AA.

Locqlynn
02-01-09, 11:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNjp6Jt-OQw&feature=related

come on now!

really? lol, thats pretty complex, is there not an easier way on how to learn?

a step by step guide?

Freiwillige
02-02-09, 12:54 AM
Thats what happens when you get a Math\Physics instructor teaching you the game :rotfl:

Im sure his method works fine but its a bit much for my taste.

My method is simple and works every time!

1. Get ahead of your target and turn into him (Preferrably unseen) so that your bow will be facing his big fat juicy side as he drives by.

2. (If he is far) Go to periscope depth and look on the map for your sonarman to draw you a plot as to where he is.

3.Once in range raise Periscope and locate target. Once located lock scope onto him.

4. Go to your navigation map and zoom way way in and you should see his ship and your sub. Adjust your sub forwards or backwards to put him between 250 to 1000 meters. Shorter range than that and your torpedos wont arm and will bounce helplessly of his sides. Farther than that and your range will be far enough that you may miss.

5. Go back to periscope veiw and look him up in the identification book. (Hint:You can pause time while looking for him, If you have outside veiws active you can hit the (.) key next to the (?) key to see all ships in range.

Once identified and locked on in periscope, check the empty box next to the ship in the recognition guide. That will send the data to the TDC as to what type of target it is so that you can do your next step and use the Periscope to get the range.

6. On the uppper right of the periscope screen is range. Line the horizontal line up of your crosshairs with the waterline of the ship. Now click on Range at the top right and using your mouse set moving line in your periscope veiw to the top of the mast. Once lined up click mouse again. Once all that is done make sure you check the box next to range. (By checking the box you are sending the information to your weapons officer who is feeding that information into your TDC.) ((Never forgett to check the box after each step!))

So you have the Range computed, Great now onto

7.Angle off Bow. Looking at the identification guide again their is a button on the right that changes the veiw from side to a three angle veiw. One is head on, One is at 20 degrees and one is at 45 degrees. Using that information look at your target (You can use the mouse to zoom in or out with the mouse roller wheel) figure out what angle the ship is at. You dont have to be dead accurate just get a fairly relative angle. Now click on the upper right to AOB or Angle off bow. You will see a top down veiw of a ship with a circe around it. Using your mouse drag the ball on the circle around it to the right spot. (Note it should be the angle from your targets perspective not your U-boats.) Now hit the check mark next to AOB. (Remeber if you do not hit the check mark it wont send the information to your TDC (Torpedo data computer) and your torpedos will just go straight! so again (Always hit the check mark box after each and every step!!!!!!)

8. Now with your target locked into the periscope veiw click on the speed at the top right with the stopwatch emblem. Keep the ship locked and let the watch go for at least 30 to 60 seconds. Click the watch again and based on the perisope rotation in that 30 to sixty seconds it will guistimate the speed of your target.
(Now again hit the check mark next to your watch symbal in the upper right to send the speed data to the TDC.

Now your TDC has the targets Range, direction of travel and speed!

9.Repeat steps 6 thru 8 as nesisary. The more data you have the more accurate the shot so plan ahead! Hit (Q) key to open torpedo tube. Once your target is in range and the TDC has the required info press fire and watch your torpedo correct itself to hit your target right where your scope is pointing!

I know that it seems overwhelming at first but as long as you do four important things the rest is common sense.

1.Identify ship
2.get ships range
3.get ships AOB
4.Get ships speed
5 put check marks on all of those steps or they wont validate in the TDC making all your calculations worthless!!!!!!!!!

I have forgott to check mark so many times and its frustrating!!!!!!!!!!

hope this helps!:up:

A Very Super Market
02-02-09, 12:59 AM
I find that it's easier just to take measurements from the nav map and then input them into the TDC

Locqlynn
02-02-09, 01:05 AM
wow

thanks so much!

i'm sick with the flu,, can't sleep, so i'm going to try this out

great community here!!

i'm buying everyone a beer

Freiwillige
02-02-09, 01:52 AM
too late:()1:

Pisces
02-02-09, 09:11 AM
i'm sick with the flu,, can't sleep, so i'm going to try this outThat could be the reason why it looks so complicated. In my personal experience my brain works only at 1% efficiency when I am sick. And Bernard loves to be a helping hand if I do decide to play SH3 in that condition. I can understand the boredom in your situation though. Hope your health will improve soon.

Manual targeting: Can't it be done simpler? I think the video made it more complex using the angle in the 'future position'-corner (the angle between the target's track and the uboot track). To measure the current AOB you could instead plot a current bearingline quickly on the map extending across the plotted target-track and measure the angle in between with a protractor. Less room for miscalculation and more visually. But the plotting itself is as simple as shown, even if it is laborious to do. I guess it also depends on how much you like to rely on guestimates or measurements. The stock Sh3 notepad procedure (what Freiwillige explained) is a reasonable middle way to do things, but leaves some room for error due to misjudgement (of AOB).

If that (180-bearing-weird angle) was the problem you might like to read "the Hunt" from Dantenoc. It is essentially the same plotting idea, but the end situation is much more simpler.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=90234

Same as link above but in youtube video(3 parts, noisy, hard to listen):

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=97682

Freiwillige
02-02-09, 09:54 AM
I dunno I shoot with darn near 100 percent accuracy. I guess its a range thing. Under 1000 meters you would have to be pretty off in your calculations to miss.
Beyond 1000 meters the accuracy is going to get worse so make sure your info is dead on.