PDA

View Full Version : Distant Guns - Mouse Locking up Game

Gonzo588
01-31-09, 07:08 PM
Let me know if anyone else has seen this. I have downloaded the demo version of Distant Guns so I can check it out. However, I found that once I am about a minute into the Ulsan demo scenario the game crashes to black screen when the mouse cursor touches a ship - I don't even have to click.

I do not believe this is a graphics issue, since it occurs identically at high settings and at bare minimum settings. It also happens identically on both my desk top computer and on my laptop. Interestingly, if I set both sides for computer player, I can run the scenario all the way to its conclusion - as long my mouse cursor never touches a ship.

I have no such problem with Jutland - only with Distant Guns. Jutland runs beautifully.

I would really like to buy this software (I think the campaign game looks fascinating), but I want to make sure it works before I do. If waiting for Distant Guns 1.5 to come out is the right answer, I can do that.

Let me know if you have seen this or if you have any ideas. I understand that Bullethead is supporting this forum - thank you very much - so let me know if you have heard of this.

My desk top computer is a Pentium 4 at 3.4 GHz with 1.0 GB RAM. The video card is a Radeon X1600, if that helps.

Thanks.

PJ

Bullethead
02-01-09, 10:20 AM
Welcome aboard, Gonzo! Drinks on me since you're having a problem :()1:

Let me know if anyone else has seen this. I have downloaded the demo version of Distant Guns so I can check it out. However, I found that once I am about a minute into the Ulsan demo scenario the game crashes to black screen when the mouse cursor touches a ship - I don't even have to click.

I had this problem myself a long time ago, but I can't remember what caused it or how I fixed it.

You have Jutland, so I suggest using the bug report link in the Start\All Programs\Storm Eagle Studios\Jutland folder to send in a report on this.
Or you can just go to it directly http://www.stormeaglestudios.com/readydesk/readydesk/rdlogin.aspx

The bug server is for both games. Just be sure you state that this problem is with the RJW game (in both the subject and the body). Also, it would help to attach the game_log.txt file (in the main game directory) after you have a run where the game crashes like this.

I would really like to buy this software (I think the campaign game looks fascinating), but I want to make sure it works before I do. If waiting for Distant Guns 1.5 to come out is the right answer, I can do that.

I can't say for sure because Jim hasn't told me what we plan to sell 1.5 for, but I suspect that buying the current version of the RJW now and upgrading to 1.5 will be cheaper than buying 1.5 from scratch. Jim's said in our main forum that 1.5 will be a "nominal fee" for existing RJW customers. But no promises on this, because I have no way of knowing for sure.

The RJW campaign is one of the most interesting available in naval history. It's all a big "what if" because in real life, the Russians basically sat there and waited to die. So the campaign assumes that had they been more aggressive, they might have won, but will certainly lose if they do nothing.

Gonzo588
02-01-09, 02:31 PM
Thank you for the response, Bullethead. The problem on the desk top computer seems to have solved itself - maybe the machine just needed a reboot. I still have the problem with the laptop, though, so I abandoned the idea of running it there.

I took your advice and bought the 1.0 version of RJW. It runs beautifully, and I love the campaign. You are right, the RJW is a great subject for what-if analysis - closely matched opponents, interesting ships and weapons, and a war heavily dependent on movement across the sea lanes. I love it. I can't wait to see what 1.5 will bring.

Anyway, thank you again for the help and advice.

PJ