PDA

View Full Version : laptop -- what they don't tell you...

caspofungin
01-25-09, 01:31 PM
i'm about to pull the trigger on a laptop. looking at 3 from toshiba, asus, and hp, all w/ very similar specs and similar price.

what i'd like to know is if anyone here has any comments on the quality of the build, customer service, etc. i.e. the stuff that doesn't really get advertised.

conus00
01-25-09, 02:20 PM
Stay away from Toshiba. My girl has a Satellite A135 and it is real POS. It might be just her particular one but Toshiba has THE WORST customer service I have ever seen: The laptop spent more time in the shop being "fixed" then she actually used it. After a year of tossing the laptop back and forth between us and 'Toshiba certified repair shop' to be "fixed" it is sitting in the bag collecting dust an Toshiba refuses to replace it.

IMO if you have to take a product to repair shop more than twice after you purchase it the manufacturer should REPLACE it with BRAND NEW unit no questions asked and no hassle. Toshiba does not seem to agree...

CaptainHaplo
01-25-09, 02:24 PM
If your going with a laptop, honestly - go dell. The machines have slipped a little in quality, but overall they are still very solid, and you can't beat a warranty that sends a tech to you to fix it instead of having to ship it off. HP tends to be very well built as well.

caspofungin
01-25-09, 02:53 PM
actually, i'm about to go to work in rural south africa -- i'd be very impressed indeed if dell sent a tech out there.:up:

AVGWarhawk
01-25-09, 08:59 PM
Although Conus said stay away from Toshiba, my parents love their Toshiba. I happen to like it myself. My folks are in their 70's and have not screwed up Vista or the Toshiba. For them, that is saying a lot!!! My dad downloads more crap then anyone in one lifetime would need. If it says FREE, he loads it! If the Toshiba/Vista can take that everyday, Toshiba has my vote:up: On a personal note, if I was in the market for a laptop and my experience with my parents laptop, I would go for Toshiba. You can keep HP not matter what it is.

Seahorse1
01-25-09, 10:34 PM
I love my MAC Powerbook. MACs are more expensive but I got mine refurbished at a great price and have not had a lick of trouble with it and have had it for almost 5 years! The best part... OSX:D Great for graphics too:up: No worries about Apple customer service...they are the best:sunny:

Contact
01-26-09, 04:23 AM
I think Lenovo would be not bad choice too.