PDA

View Full Version : Old Games You'd Like To See Redone

Captain Vlad
01-23-09, 07:28 PM
Was browsing an 'old games' site and ran across a favorite of mine from the early 1990's: SEAL Team. I remember playing the crap out of that game, and still remember some of the mission briefings, and how I approached this mission or that problem.

Thing is, while I loved the game, it hasn't aged well, and I think it's quite ripe for a remake. The original had very clunky controls, odd targeting, some questionable weapon performance, and graphics that were slightly dated even at the time. On the plus side, the missions were great: while you had a set goal, you could attempt to meet that goal using varied methods. The atmosphere was great, and the setting (late '60's Vietnam) was pretty unique.

I remember being very excited when they released Rainbow Six, thinking it might be similar, and while I loved that game, set piece CT/hostage rescue never had the same flavor of hours-long independent action in the Mekong.

Anyone else have any older games you'd like to see prettied up with modern technology, assuming it would be done right?

Sonarman
01-23-09, 07:54 PM
Everything that Microprose ever did (in the simulation line) but especially Task Force 1942, Red Storm Rising & M1 Tank Platoon.
Interestingly the RSR remake currently underway here (http://www.kennedyapproach.com/home.php) may get a graphical overhaul once M.Franssen has recreated the original as was.

The 'holy grail of subsims' that was Dynamix "Aces of the Deep"

The classic 'Carrier Command' (that is actually happening!)

(although it isn't really that old) "Destroyer Command"

SSI's 'Fighting Steel' would be great with a graphical makeover (Jutland is a great replacement! in the meantime)

The early PC/Amiga turn based naval wargame "Dreadnought's" by Peter Turcan would be amazing with today's graphics.

Robsoie
01-23-09, 11:07 PM
I am always sad when i read about M1 Tank platoon, it always remind me on how great M1TP2 was going to be once fixed and seriously improved by the extremely promising patch 1.03, the linking with Gunship 3 etc...

But ....
The Life and Death of Tank Platoon (http://www.tanksim.com/topic2.htm)

An old game i had lots of fun and would not mind having redone would be Darklands , fabulous role playing in advance of its time, deep and complex but not too hard to learn, tactical combat between parties, very open ended and huge replay value.

And the atmosphere , despite those pixels, was utterly awesome, i am not sure how they managed to do it, but you really felt the dread and gritty ambiance of middle age.
Probably all those artistic screens and locations were very well responsible, superb piece of art a lot better than generic soulless 3D.

I always play it from time to time in DosBOX, but how much i wish i could play it without some of the clunkiness of the dos timed interfaces and without the pixels when i turn it fullscreen.

Captain Vlad
01-23-09, 11:26 PM
An old game i had lots of fun and would not mind having redone would be Darklands , fabulous role playing in advance of its time, deep and complex but not too hard to learn, tactical combat between parties, very open ended and huge replay value.

And the atmosphere , despite those pixels, was utterly awesome, i am not sure how they managed to do it, but you really felt the dread and gritty ambiance of middle age.
Probably all those artistic screens and locations were very well responsible, superb piece of art a lot better than generic soulless 3D.

I really loved all the watercolors they used for various locations, and the Traveler-style character creation. The gameworld was so much more threatening and dark than any of the generic fantasy settings...it was an excellent piece of work.

And you're right. An updated...or hell, just a version than ran well on XP...would be very welcome.

Kapitan_Phillips
01-23-09, 11:30 PM
POLICE QUEST :yep:

Captain Vlad
01-23-09, 11:32 PM
Be sure and do the pre-patrol car walkaround....:D

Kapitan_Phillips
01-23-09, 11:33 PM
Be sure and do the pre-patrol car walkaround....:D

God I hated those driving sequences :dead:

stabiz
01-23-09, 11:35 PM
Monkey Island. Brush up the art and sounds, allow high resolutions and FSAA, but keep the 0,1 bit theme song. (Oh, and 3D point & click is manure)

Wolfehunter
01-24-09, 01:50 AM
For me Starflight and Starflight II, A true remake of the FO series, Space quest series, Mech games from battletech using BF 2142 engine or better.;)

kiwi_2005
01-24-09, 04:16 AM
Destroyer Command

Zork series "Return to Zork 2"

Wolfehunter
01-24-09, 04:48 AM
Zork series "Return to Zork 2"I was thinking about these but I wasn't sure they could do it.:up: They have to learn how to read. lol.:rotfl:

Lets add Oo-Topos to the charts. I love this game. The only game I could never beat... I alway got stuck but at that time there was no forum support lol.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/oo-topos

Dowly
01-24-09, 05:13 AM
None.

They should be let be, they were classics. Especially all the 2D games would propably be horrible in 3D. And trust me, Broken Sword 1&2 are 2 of my favorite games, they went 3D in later sequels and they sucked.

HunterICX
01-24-09, 05:24 AM
I rather get a old Pc that is able to run the old classics :yep:

HunterICX

mengle
01-24-09, 05:24 AM
None.

They should be let be, they were classics. Especially all the 2D games would propably be horrible in 3D. And trust me, Broken Sword 1&2 are 2 of my favorite games, they went 3D in later sequels and they sucked.

wow, corporal Dowly is early, alive and kicking :o

Schroeder
01-24-09, 06:18 AM
Although it isn't that old yet, I would love to play the game Mafia with new graphics. Driving around in this city of the 30ies with all the old cars was amazing.:yep:

CaptainHaplo
01-24-09, 09:03 AM
There are so many. I agree about games from Microprose - M1 Tank Platoon, F117 Stealth Fighter, and can anyone imgaine a remake of SS2? SH4 would have competition!!

I also would love to see a remake (with new content) for Dungeon Keeper - the original one. The second one sucked compared to the first one. The gameplay perspective was really amazing, and with the advances in technology the game could really be a wonder.

I also would like a remake of Xwing, Tie Fighter and the associated games. Oh - and Starfleet/Klingon Academy - with galactic war strategy addon!

This is due to the fact I don't play multiplayer on anything anymore and some of those games had amazingly engaging sp campaigns.

Kapitan_Phillips
01-24-09, 09:26 AM
How about a remake of something like Phantasmagoria 2?

Dowly
01-24-09, 10:13 AM
None.

wow, corporal Dowly is early, alive and kicking :o

1st of all, what ya mean corporal? Goddammit, I r general, atleast. ;) And as for the wakey thingy, I've been "alive" from 11:50am, now pissed drunk as I got home from the pub.

Schroeder
01-24-09, 12:06 PM
Well Herr Genaral then you should update your sig.;)

Dowly
01-24-09, 02:33 PM
SHUUUUUUUUT UP! I just got home. Ow, Schored (****ing hard to spell yer name), your post count menast satan! Wohoo! :rock:

kiwi_2005
01-24-09, 02:44 PM
*Hands Dowly a couple of disprins for tommorow*

Dowly
01-24-09, 02:45 PM
*Hands Dowly a couple of disprins for tommorow*

Beer's for that. ;)

Dowly
01-24-09, 02:47 PM
Frick frick frick! :stare:

Captain Vlad
01-24-09, 02:59 PM
They should be let be, they were classics. Especially all the 2D games would propably be horrible in 3D.

Some games are classics and would be very difficult to improve upon. X-COM, for instance...in the years I've spent with that game, there's been precisely one niggling thing you couldn't do that I wish you could...and that's it.

But for others, like SEAL Team, a retouch with some more modern ideas, especially where control issues are concerned, could be awesome.

As for 2D and 3D...I'm noticing that a lot of 'nominees' for a touch up are sims where you were working in 3D anyway.

Dowly
01-24-09, 03:04 PM
They should be let be, they were classics. Especially all the 2D games would propably be horrible in 3D.
Some games are classics and would be very difficult to improve upon. X-COM, for instance...in the years I've spent with that game, there's been precisely one niggling thing you couldn't do that I wish you could...and that's it.

But for others, like SEAL Team, a retouch with some more modern ideas, especially where control issues are concerned, could be awesome.

As for 2D and 3D...I'm noticing that a lot of 'nominees' for a touch up are sims where you were working in 3D anyway.

Oww, never played Seal Team. Heard alot about it tho. You ever played Special forces or something like that? I had it on amiga, was a great game! If you're soldier was killed/wounded on a mission, you had the chance to go back and rescue him. Loved that game!!:rock:

d@rk51d3
01-24-09, 05:14 PM
Lucasarts "Tie Fighter" :rock:

With graphics like the title screen from Empire at War.

Captain Vlad
01-24-09, 05:38 PM
[
Oww, never played Seal Team. Heard alot about it tho. You ever played Special forces or something like that? I had it on amiga, was a great game! If you're soldier was killed/wounded on a mission, you had the chance to go back and rescue him. Loved that game!!:rock:

Never got a chance to play that one, though I've heard some about it.

TIE Fighter: Spruce up the graphics and don't do another thing to it. That'd be pretty damned cool.

FIREWALL
01-24-09, 06:40 PM
Some good racing sim\games with today's graphics and force feedback.

1. Gran Prix Legends

2. Some type of Indy 500 sim.

3. ????? Again all with todays graphics and Force Feedback. :yep:

Shame on you stabiz . :lol: You should have posted this. :rotfl:

Syxx_Killer
01-24-09, 07:09 PM
I've always dreamed of a 3d remake of the original Dragon Warrior. I spent a lot of time on that game back in the day.

I would also love it if someone were to remake Super Off Road with updated graphics and such. I loved that game.

FIREWALL
01-24-09, 07:31 PM
I can't remember the last recent up dated auto racing sim.

TheBrauerHour
01-24-09, 11:07 PM
I would like to see the old Wing Commander series redone.

But I kinda agree with Dowly in that maybe it is best left old.

TarJak
01-25-09, 04:48 AM
The classics are classics because of the feel they gave in the time they were around. AOD is a classic but TBH should not be redone as it would be a completely different game now

stabiz
01-25-09, 07:40 AM
Some good racing sim\games with today's graphics and force feedback.

1. Gran Prix Legends

2. Some type of Indy 500 sim.

3. ????? Again all with todays graphics and Force Feedback. :yep:

Shame on you stabiz . :lol: You should have posted this. :rotfl:

Hehe, I am a bit to cynical these days. The games that come out nowadays are mostly **** so I think we have to rely on modders to see proper remakes of vintage racing titles.

SUBMAN1
01-25-09, 12:07 PM
1. 3D version of Starflight!

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/8461/starflightdos.gif

2. Battlzone - Best RTS game because you played it as the Commander and could use any weapon you wanted. Fun sniping enemy tanks and using it against them. Problem was, it was too complicated for your average person to grasp.

http://www.siggraph.org/publications/newsletter/v33n2/columns/images/rouse6.jpg

NeonSamurai
01-25-09, 02:20 PM
Oh yes Battlezone is a definate must for me. Though I didn't think it was all that complicated. Battlezone 2 was decent but it tied you down to one location once you built. It didn't have the cool pick up and leave at a moments notice ability.

stew278
01-25-09, 03:04 PM
B-17: the Mighty Eighth by Microprose. I really liked the strategic bombing as well as being able to plan the missions for the campaign. Give it better graphics, polish up the clumsy interface, etc. Maybe introduce night bombing and include other bombers like the Liberator and Lancaster.

FIREWALL
01-25-09, 03:14 PM
Doe's anyone remember the last new Racing sim and when it came out ?

Captain Vlad
01-25-09, 03:18 PM
iRacing launched in 2008, and Simbin released the STCC and Evolution packs for Race 07.

CaptHawkeye
01-25-09, 05:24 PM
Oh man, SUBMAN made tears form in my eyes by bringing up Battlezone. Such an awesome game. Nobody even bothers to try making titles like that anymore. Unless it's Pandemic and they're just trying as hard as possible to RUIN IT.

Raptor1
01-25-09, 05:37 PM

No...no...

Damnit

*pokes around for his TIE Fighter CD*

OneToughHerring
01-26-09, 12:56 AM
I would like to see the old Wing Commander series redone.

But I kinda agree with Dowly in that maybe it is best left old.

Not a bad idea, and it might work if done right (yea right, it never is).

Most simulators could be redone and propably wouldn't suffer badly. I remember playing Fighter Bomber with my trusty ol' C-64, F-111 was a real 'death from above'-machine.

CaptHawkeye
01-26-09, 09:24 AM

No...no...

Damnit

But hopefully without the gameplay model of Empire at War. Our huge Star Dreadnought Executor cannot engage targets because its weapons cannot even fire a distance of half the ship's length.

"But in the movies, we see Star Destroyers firing at ships hundreds of km away."

:doh:

Raptor1
01-26-09, 12:17 PM

No...no...

Damnit

But hopefully without the gameplay model of Empire at War. Our huge Star Dreadnought Executor cannot engage targets because its weapons cannot even fire a distance of half the ship's length.

"But in the movies, we see Star Destroyers firing at ships hundreds of km away."

:doh:

Eh, it's a strategy game, it needs to be balanced

nikimcbee
04-10-09, 06:02 PM
I'd say Sid Meyer's Gettysburg:salute:.

Dowly
04-10-09, 06:17 PM
All of Sierra's old adventure games (Full throttle, Larry's, Police quests etc.) drawn in 2d graphics ala Broken Sword 1 & 2.

nikimcbee
04-10-09, 06:18 PM
All of Sierra's old adventure games (Full throttle, Larry's, Police quests etc.) drawn in 2d graphics ala Broken Sword 1 & 2.

What about the king's quest?

Captain Vlad
04-10-09, 06:30 PM
One of the most difficult things I've ever had to do in a game...is make my way down Sierra's patented windy twisty path (TM) in Kings Quest 3. Most of the Quest games had some 'fall to your doom if you screw up' area like that, but that's the only one I can remember that you had to negotiate repeatedly.

They toned it down a bit in the later games. I remember seeing the winding path to the castle in KQ IV and groaning, then didn't have to walk up the thing at all.

KeptinCranky
04-10-09, 06:36 PM
I'd say Sid Meyer's Gettysburg:salute:.

I would second this, should probably be doable with the Total war engine :shucks:

(although that has it's flaws)

SUBMAN1
04-11-09, 10:31 AM
Lets add another one in here - Independence War and Independence War 2. Still by far the best space flight sims of all time. Full Newtonian physics. Real theoretical technology, such as energy creation via particle accelerators and the way to fire a plasma weapon would be to syphon plasma from the accelerators and funnel it into a cannon. Even the LDS drive or capsule drive or simply floating around a space station is done to perfection. No aiming - real gun tracking. The list is endless with these games.

And no speed limits, or instant Star Wars X-wing turns! You must thrust properly to change direction! If you want to travel at 50,000 km/s, you can in these games, though I recommend against collisions against solid objects at that speed. Go play #2. Its worth it, though it won't be easy to survive. For the newbies, you can let the computer control your course and speed until you get the hang of flinging yourself about the universe. You cannot win the game by letting the computer drive for you though since you'll be a sitting duck.

I'd like the freedom of # 2 to come back with the complexity of #1. That would be an awesome combination.

-S

PS. If you do decide to play this game, remember that it can't handle more than 1 CPU core. You must set the affinity for it to use only one core if you have multi core system.

PPS. Did i mention that if you see the star off in the distance and feel like leaving piracy behind for an hour, you can go fly to it until it fills the screen? I wouldn't recommend approaching closer than 150,000 km to it though. You won't be able to repel the heat any closer than that.

PPPS. I'm going to go load this game up tonight. Need my fix that comes with playing it. Almost drug like in fun!

http://www.armchairempire.com/images/Reviews/pc/independence-war-2/i_war_2-4.jpg

http://blog.driveinsoftware.com/images/eoc/edgeofchaos2.jpg

http://blog.driveinsoftware.com/images/eoc/edgeofchaos4.jpg

http://blog.driveinsoftware.com/images/eoc/edgeofchaos1.jpg

Dowly
04-11-09, 01:11 PM
What about the king's quest?

I said ALL the Sierra's classics, so yeh, KQ too. Tho, I never really got into it the way I got into PQ.

Arclight
04-11-09, 03:01 PM
Jane's Longbow. All it needs is new engine so it runs on modern systems, that would be awesome.

Tachyon
04-14-09, 06:50 AM
Crusader : No Remorse and Crusader : No Regret . The best isometric shooters ever!

Arclight
04-14-09, 08:43 PM
Spiderbombs. :yeah:

Blacklight
04-14-09, 10:48 PM
Dragonstrike. You can't get much cooler than a dragon flight simulator !

:up:

NeonSamurai
04-14-09, 11:22 PM
Another pair I would love to see would be some classic Microprose games.. Airborne Rangers and Sword of the Samurai

I would kill to have those 2 games reinvented.

Captain Vlad
04-15-09, 06:35 PM
Big 'hell yes' to Sword of the Samurai. Nothing quite like sneaking into your rival's home in the middle of the night to rescue your kidnapped relative or perhaps to plant 'evidence' of his dishonor whilst his guards aren't looking.:DL

NeonSamurai
04-15-09, 09:04 PM
Oh and an interstate 76 sequel would be nice too

Captain Vlad
04-15-09, 10:17 PM
Groovy.:yeah:

I like your taste, Neon.

Radtgaeb
04-15-09, 10:36 PM
Star Wars: X-Wing and TIE fighter :rock::rock::rock:

Blacklight
04-15-09, 10:39 PM
Star Wars: X-Wing and TIE fighter :rock::rock::rock:

I seccond this. I don't know HOW many hours I had fun making scenarios for those games with the campaign editor I downloaded from a BBS back in the day.

Falkirion
04-16-09, 08:44 PM
Yeah I'd love to see any of the X-wing/TIE games remade, but the odds of that happening are slim.

That and Lucas has a ban on anything post ROTJ, so we're stuck with this boring PT bull they call games.

Raptor1
04-17-09, 01:30 AM
That and Lucas has a ban on anything post ROTJ, so we're stuck with this boring PT bull they call games.

Er...what?

oche
04-17-09, 10:34 AM
- Covert Action
- Cutthroats: Terror on the high seas
- Star Wars: Rebellion
- Countdown
- Pirates!
- Steel Panthers
- Silent Hunter 1
- Aces of the Pacific
- Duke Nukem 3d
- Fighting Steel

:arrgh!:

Arclight
04-17-09, 04:28 PM
I heard they were working on a new Duke Nukem. :yep: :D

Tachyon
04-17-09, 04:54 PM
I heard they were working on a new Duke Nukem.

Well, like the title implies.. it's going to take forever :yawn:

Dowly
04-17-09, 05:09 PM
ROFL! Duke Nuken Forever been in the making for 8-9 years or so. :har:

Schroeder
04-17-09, 05:24 PM
Is it still under development or is it just a running gag?

Dowly
04-17-09, 05:36 PM
Is it still under development or is it just a running gag?

It has to be a joke nowadays, but back then I'm pretty sure it was annouced as being in the making.

Arclight
04-17-09, 05:53 PM
Release dates have been speculated for 2008 and 2009. So that would make for a production time of 12 years. :-?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Nukem_Forever

Duke Nukem Whenever :doh:

d@rk51d3
04-18-09, 12:51 AM
Duke Nukem Whenever :doh:

or maybe "Duke Nukem?............whatever."

:D

NealT
04-18-09, 04:29 AM
I want to see...

Starfleet Academy and

Klingon Academy

:arrgh!:

Tikigod
04-19-09, 12:18 AM
B-17 Flying Fortress
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-17_Flying_Fortress_(video_game)

B-17 Flying Fortress: The Mighty 8th
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/index.html?curid=18010678

Star Wars: Rebellion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Rebellion

Star Wars Galaxies (Pre-Combat Upgrade)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Galaxies

SWAT 2 (RTS Version, 3rd Person, Tactical)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_Quest:_SWAT_2

Battleship (Hasbro)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DX6bgKdp9Q

Countdown (Access Software)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVPqvOOqjKg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7v2BUjeT8A

Gunship (Microprose)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunship_(video_game)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eThVlWL_Gw

Microsoft Space Simulator
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Space_Simulator

Chuck Yeager's Air Combat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Yeager's_Air_Combat

Cyberia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberia_(video_game)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoL2j6dgc5Q

Jane's Fleet Command
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleet_Command
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXefbOlOIDU&NR=1

Arclight
04-19-09, 12:45 AM
A new P.T.O. game would be awesome too. Wasted years of my life pushing buttons on my SNES controller.

Did anyone know a number of the avatar's come from P.T.O.? :know:

*ps:
<-- like that "seasoned skipper" one.

Lawndart
04-28-09, 08:05 PM
Wow! What an awsome thread!!!

I'd like to see:

Long Bow 2
X-Com
Falcon 4.0 (done properly, not allied force mod)

I'm sure I can think of MANY more but those have been on my mind lately, not very old at all but I'd love to see updates.

Oh, and NealT

I was the Line Producer on Starfleet Accademy. That was a LONG time ago... I miss those days from Interplay... I think that was 95...?

Just imagine, I was a kid watching starttrek on a B&W TV in Dayton OH, just a few years later I was in a studio with the whole cast (except Nemoy, he wouldn't work with Shatner for less than 2 Million)...

Amazing where running away from home can lead you!!! :har: (not really, just took off)

It just made my day to read that, SO many games to choose from, nice to know something I worked on left such a lasting impression...:cry::DL

TheSatyr
04-29-09, 04:24 AM
Freelancer
Birth of the Federation
Shogun:Total War (Would love to see it get the "modern" TW treatment)

CaptainHaplo
04-30-09, 07:05 PM
Lawndart - let me say thanks for Starfleet Academy as well. First off it was a great game for the time, and without it, Klingon Academy wouldn't have happened either - both were great games.

Honestly - SFA and later KA were used by a group of us to create an online "galactic war" - where battles were solved using these games. Many a fun hour I spent with them.

Biggles
04-30-09, 07:10 PM
I say...

Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance!

:salute:

Radtgaeb
05-03-09, 04:58 PM
Shogun:Total War (Would love to see it get the "modern" TW treatment)

You Might be in luck...

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1026 :yeah:

Major Johnson
05-04-09, 10:10 PM
This is an awesome thread. I would love to see Steel Panthers with the graphics of Blitzkrieg. I just can't get the hang of the real time strategy. I like the turn based game play instead.