PDA

View Full Version : PC problem

Morts
01-17-09, 02:43 PM
hey, ive been talking to some people lately about their performence on a system like mine and i noticed mine is just dying in games where it should run almost, or entirely perfect like CoD4 or Arma. i sent my pc to repair some time ago after i noticed a drop in performance and because it would reboot cause it was overheating (a fan that was mounted the wrong way, it was delivered that way...), the rebooting was fixed but my performance was still very low and they claimed nothing was wrong
ive been trying to figure it out myself but i just cant find the problem.
what do you guys think ?

Specs
core2duo 2.4 GHz
Nvidia 8800GTS 640mb
and 4 gigs of ram
(gonna go more in-depth with the specs if i can find the info on it)

donut
01-17-09, 03:45 PM
Running programs in background,defrag,diskck,Ck preformance chart in Task Mgr.,Did they re-glue cooling fins while in shop?,clean fans?

CaptainHaplo
01-17-09, 03:52 PM
Morts - we will need more info - specifically what OS are you running, driver versions, etc.

A couple of easy things to check - would be get a good process viewer application (or just use taskmanager) and find out what all is running in the background. Often, there are a hundred things running that don't need to be.

Also - see if you can check temps on the machine - cpu, bridge and gpu temps are really the criticals.

Once you get more in depth - things to check would be memory timings, cache status (enabled/disabled), processor affinity (as some software runs better if you set this), etc.

If you can, let us know what OS your running, what version of dx (if its 9 what release date), the driver versions for both your video and sound, the temps of the pc, and also the specs on you HD (free space, sata or IDE, one or 2 drives), and where your swap file is if you have multiple drives.

Morts
01-17-09, 04:35 PM
Morts - we will need more info - specifically what OS are you running, driver versions, etc.

A couple of easy things to check - would be get a good process viewer application (or just use taskmanager) and find out what all is running in the background. Often, there are a hundred things running that don't need to be.

Also - see if you can check temps on the machine - cpu, bridge and gpu temps are really the criticals.

Once you get more in depth - things to check would be memory timings, cache status (enabled/disabled), processor affinity (as some software runs better if you set this), etc.

If you can, let us know what OS your running, what version of dx (if its 9 what release date), the driver versions for both your video and sound, the temps of the pc, and also the specs on you HD (free space, sata or IDE, one or 2 drives), and where your swap file is if you have multiple drives.
ow, lotsa stuff
gonna have to wait till tomorrow as im busy now

She-Wolf
01-17-09, 05:15 PM

Process Explorer is quite useful and easy to use, and if you check the box for the CPU history ( view-select columns- process performance) you can leave it running and see what is hogging the processor time.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Tchocky
01-17-09, 06:36 PM
+1 on Process Explorer. I send it out a lot of the time to users

Them: "But we're not supposed to install external programs!"

Me: This is different. I need to know what you've been doing.

:p