PDA

View Full Version : US Airways Airbus A320 crash lands into Hudson river

Konovalov
01-15-09, 04:36 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article5526723.ece

Wow. :o :o :o Looks like some great work by the pilot. Not sure yet if everyone onboard is safe. If they are then it is truly amazing. :yep:

AVGWarhawk
01-15-09, 04:43 PM
Yeah, just read this. Completely amazed the aircraft was in one piece along with all the passengers to boot:up:

SteamWake
01-15-09, 04:59 PM
All pax and crew survived.

Pilot deserves a medal ! :up:

Now I wonder how the hell there going to get that plane off the bottom of the river.

Enigma
01-15-09, 05:11 PM
Hell of a job, Cap'n :up:

Linton
01-15-09, 05:33 PM
Have a look at the coverage on the Avherald.This is the second serious bird related incident in the last couple of months(Ryanair 737 in Rome being the other one!)

August
01-15-09, 05:43 PM
Now I wonder how the hell there going to get that plane off the bottom of the river.

I don't think that will be a big problem. A barge and crane or two ought to do the job pretty easily.

UnderseaLcpl
01-15-09, 05:44 PM
Here's a dumb question; Couldn't they just put a wire cage or something in fron of the engine nacelle to keep birds from getting in the engines? Or would that limit airflow too much? I assume that there's a reason they don't do that, but I don't know what it is.

Enigma
01-15-09, 05:54 PM
Here's a dumb question; Couldn't they just put a wire cage or something in fron of the engine nacelle to keep birds from getting in the engines? Or would that limit airflow too much? I assume that there's a reason they don't do that, but I don't know what it is.

That would just cause a grated bird to be ingested into the engines.

Enigma
01-15-09, 05:59 PM
It sounds like, and I'm totally guessing here, they ran into a flock of geese, and possibly lost both engines. The A320 is designed to fly without much of a problem on one engine.
Those familiar with the North East know how many geese are in the air at this time of year. (hundreds of thousands). This is, after all, bird strike season to us pilots here in the NE...

Myth - Large aircraft are built to withstand all bird strikes.
Fact - Large commercial aircraft like passenger jets are certified to be able to continue flying after impacting a 4-lb bird, even if substantial and costly damage occurs and even if one engine has to be shut down. However, 36 species of birds in North America weigh over 4 lbs and most of these large birds travel in flocks. About 30% of reported strikes by birds weighing more than 4 lbs to civil aircraft in USA, 1990-2002, involved multiple birds. Even flocks of small birds (e.g., starlings, blackbirds) and single medium sized birds (e.g., gulls, ducks, hawks) can cause engine failure and substantial damage.

Myth - If a bird flies into an engine during takeoff and the engine quits, the airplane will crash.
Fact - Large commercial jets are designed so that if any 1 engine is unable to continue generating thrust, the airplane will have enough power from the remaining engine or engines to safely complete the flight. However, because many birds travel in flocks, there is always a possibility that birds will be ingested into multiple engines.

Bonus Myth – Bird strikes never occur at high altitudes.
Fact – It is true that most strikes occur in the airport environment. About 41% of reported strikes with civil aircraft in USA occur while the aircraft is on the ground during take-off or landing and about 75% of strikes occur at less than 500 feet above ground level (AGL). However, over 1,300 strikes involving civil aircraft at heights above 5,000 feet AGL were reported from 1990-2003. The world height record for a strike is 37,000 feet.

Apparently this A320 was near or just above 3'000agl...

TarJak
01-15-09, 06:03 PM
I saw some footage where ths plane was being towed by a tug boat to the shore so it was still afloat for some time after the landing.

From what I've heard and read it was a controlled landing with the tail striking first and the nose up. Textbook stuff from the pilot!

The main reason for no grille on the engines is that if anything does get stopped it would likely mess up the air intake and cause a loss of power anyway with no way to get rid of it whilst flying.

Linton
01-15-09, 06:08 PM
Here is the avherald reference:http://avherald.com/h?article=41370ebc&opt=0

PeriscopeDepth
01-15-09, 06:27 PM
Awesome work by the pilot. He certainly deserves a bonus, promotion, medal or something!

PD

longam
01-15-09, 06:33 PM
A Shot from a telescope while people were on the wings.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/US/01/15/new.york.plane.crash/art.plane.pukelis.irpt.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/01/15/new.york.plane.crash/index.html

Oberon
01-15-09, 06:37 PM
Bloody good job from the pilot, I hope he gets some kind of reward for that landing. Doubt it could have been done any better under the circumstances. :up:

RickC Sniper
01-15-09, 07:12 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28679343/displaymode/1107/s/2/

Some pretty good pictures there.

Great job by the pilot imo.

August
01-15-09, 08:04 PM
The world height record for a strike is 37,000 feet.

That is very difficult to believe. After all Mt Everest is only 29000 feet high. How could a bird with their high metabolism survive 8 thousand feet higher than that?

A Very Super Market
01-15-09, 08:30 PM
Perhaps he meant meters...No wait, that makes no sense.

Birds cannot survive that far up. Humans can barely survive Everest with no oxygen, and this is 1000 feet higher than that.

Torplexed
01-15-09, 08:33 PM
All pax and crew survived.

Pilot deserves a medal ! :up:

Presidential Medal of Freedom, now. Like, yesterday now... ;)

He certainly won't have any trouble getting someone to buy him a drink in New York tonight....maybe ever. :yep:

Enigma
01-15-09, 09:02 PM
That is very difficult to believe.

Birds cannot survive that far up.
au contraire!

Crazy, I know. But there it is. (That data come from the Bird strike Committee USA, and is backed up by the FAA. 'Twas apparently, a pesky African vulture. I've read somewhere of a bird strike in NV of some 20+ thousand feet, too.).

http://www.birdstrike.org/birds.htm

Here is an FAA report I found, reporting a bird strike at FL360. (36'000)

11/03/2005 2325 COLORADO SPRINGS, CO UPS28 B757 I UNKN 0 ACFT, UPS28, A B757, ENROUTE FROM SDF TO MHR, STRUCK A GOOSE AT FL360. ACFT DESCENDED TO FL280, DUE TO THE WINDSHIELD BEING CRACKED AND CONTINUED ON TO DESTINATION. PILOT DID NOT DECLARE AN EMERGENCY. OVER COLORADO SPRINGS, CO

SUBMAN1
01-15-09, 09:32 PM
That is very difficult to believe. After all Mt Everest is only 29000 feet high. How could a bird with their high metabolism survive 8 thousand feet higher than that?Geese can get pretty high up too last I heard.

Found something on it:

Birds are capable of flying at much higher altitudes. Bar-headed Geese are known to cross the Himalayas at 29,500 feet (9,000 m). The world record holder is a Ruppell’s Griffon Vulture seen at 37,000 feet (11,300 m.) A Mallard, which struck an airplane at 21,000 feet (6,400 m), holds the record for the highest documented flight altitude for a bird in North America.

August
01-15-09, 09:47 PM
That is very difficult to believe. After all Mt Everest is only 29000 feet high. How could a bird with their high metabolism survive 8 thousand feet higher than that?Geese can get pretty high up too last I heard.

Found something on it:

Birds are capable of flying at much higher altitudes. Bar-headed Geese are known to cross the Himalayas at 29,500 feet (9,000 m). The world record holder is a Ruppell’s Griffon Vulture seen at 37,000 feet (11,300 m.) A Mallard, which struck an airplane at 21,000 feet (6,400 m), holds the record for the highest documented flight altitude for a bird in North America.

Hmmm, seems like there is a 16kft discrepancy here.

Monica Lewinsky
01-15-09, 09:51 PM
Bloody good job from the pilot, I hope he gets some kind of reward for that landing. Doubt it could have been done any better under the circumstances. :up:

Amen!

The guy should be adored as a REAL hero. Seems lately since 2001 we have too many of them [heros] with this guy EXCLUDED.

He is indeed a TRUE hero to 150+ people that were there or in that plane/jet and in our eyes should be a super HERO.

Also, the unnamed ultra heros are the New York and New Jersey Port Authority ships that responded in less than 4 minutes dumping tons of life preservers in the water.

True Miracle, No one died. Never thought it was possible with a jet doing a water landing. Made me jump and down with joy - nice to see some good news for a change - warm fuzzies all over over some good news ........ feels GOOD :).

Something tells me all them people in that plane are going to church Sunday - And ... there is NOTHING wrong with that!

Going to Church now and then never hurt/or killed ANYBODY!

I sure hope 2009 has MORE news stories like this one.

Enigma
01-15-09, 09:58 PM

Key words. "In North America".

Enigma
01-15-09, 09:59 PM
Never thought it was possible with a jet doing a water landing.

You thought "In the unlikely event of a water landing" was just lip service? :lol:

SUBMAN1
01-15-09, 09:59 PM
Key words. "In North America".But reports from anywhere else are always suspect! :p :yep:

-S

Enigma
01-15-09, 10:04 PM
Well, not too suspect for the Bird Strike Committee, whose board seats FAA officials, but its OK, I don't see to much cause for arguing about it.:damn:

The Pilot if this aircraft saved 155 lives today. Lets keep our eyes on the ball...:yep::up:

SUBMAN1
01-15-09, 10:27 PM
Well, not too suspect for the Bird Strike Committee, whose board seats FAA officials, but its OK, I don't see to much cause for arguing about it.:damn:

The Pilot if this aircraft saved 155 lives today. Lets keep our eyes on the ball...:yep::up:

Man, you know I was just stirring the pot for you! Tell me I didn't make you smirk? :D

-S

Kapt Z
01-15-09, 10:33 PM
Yeah, just read this. Completely amazed the aircraft was in one piece along with all the passengers to boot:up:

I don't know the whole story yet, but I was amazed as well as to how intact the airframe was. I've seen videos photos of airliner ditchings and most of the time the plane is ripped apart by the impact.

Hope the pilot's getting a bonus this year!:up: I think if I was a passenger he would be getting a Christmas present every year for the rest of his life.

TarJak
01-16-09, 01:43 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/how-sully-saved-the-day/2009/01/16/1231608949558.html

He did very well. I like the quote "if you ditch... you die"

A Very Super Market
01-16-09, 01:54 AM
I've been proved wrong so many times, let's try this again. :P

Aircraft don't neccesarily destroy themselves on landing. This guy managed to control his descent, which prevented him from smashing the plane into the river. The fuselage of a plane is designed to withstand landing speed impact and scraping, as seen in the case of the Gimli Glider. Ditching isn't exceedingly dangerous, because you at least know that you want to crash. Fatal obliteration usually happen because the pilots have either completely lost control or are blindsided.

Now who wants to embarrass me this time ?:p

Oberon
01-16-09, 06:52 AM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45382000/jpg/_45382192_006729790-1.jpg

Man of the hour: Capt. Chesley 'Sully' Sullenberger III

Profile: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7832642.stm

Ex-USAF apparently, a credit to his nation. :rock: I'm with Torplexed, give that man a medal!

Apparently he walked the plane twice to make sure everyone was off before leaving himself. Truely a knight of the skies. He's certainly one of my heroes now. :up:

Jimbuna
01-16-09, 09:20 AM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45382000/jpg/_45382192_006729790-1.jpg

~SALUTE~

SteamWake
01-16-09, 10:26 AM
The main reason for no grille on the engines is that if anything does get stopped it would likely mess up the air intake and cause a loss of power anyway with no way to get rid of it whilst flying.

One of the main reasons is because the 'grille' would build up ice, the ice would eventually break off and get ingested.... not good.

I saw a film somewhere where they were testing the GE engines that hang from an airbus, they fired all kinds of crap into the engine. More water than could ever be possibly found in a rainstorm, big chunks of ice, and turkeys.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=12096296

The engines dont seem to have any trouble dealing with them.

But as they say stuff happens and it usually happens at the worst time (take off).

GoldenRivet
01-16-09, 11:17 AM
the golden rule of crashing an airplane....

When a crash seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity, as slowly and gently as possible.

looks like he managed to make that statement work.

as a side note... and as a former airline First Officer:

i wonder where his FO's name appears in the news... almost seems like this was a one man show.

:doh:

http://www.mecca.org/~tschieff/AVIATION/ACADEMY/TheCopil.html

Dread Knot
01-16-09, 11:21 AM
US Air's stock is up 11 points this morning.

We need this pilot for president. :up:

GoldenRivet
01-16-09, 11:27 AM
[quote=TarJak]

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=12096296

The engines dont seem to have any trouble dealing with them.

But as they say stuff happens and it usually happens at the worst time (take off).

of course that appears to be a Rolls Royce, in brand new condition, on a factory test stand, in controlled laboratory settings. :hmm:

im sure the engine on this Airbus were like any other working girl in the US Airways fleet... high time engines, with a lot of general wear and tear.

but lets assume this is the case... and one of the birds managed to knock a fan blade loose... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek6adm4iV4Y

not pretty

Onkel Neal
01-16-09, 12:26 PM
Wow, :o Obama hasn't even been sworn in yet and the miracles have already begun!

Just kidding, salute to the pilot and crew.

AVGWarhawk
01-16-09, 12:35 PM
Wow, :o Obama hasn't even been sworn in yet and the miracles have already begun!

:rotfl:

Jimbuna
01-16-09, 12:53 PM
http://tkcollier.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/obama_walking_on_water.jpg

Enigma
01-16-09, 03:01 PM
We can turn anything into a mocking of Obama around here, can't we. :lol:

Et Tu, Neal.....

SteamWake
01-16-09, 03:06 PM
US Air's stock is up 11 points this morning.

We need this pilot for president. :up:

Well dont count your chickens just yet. Rest assured someone somewhere will start the lawsuits rolling.

Fish
01-16-09, 03:34 PM

And the aircraft, good european craftmanship.
Salute to the pilot, and the workers of Airbus. :smug:

Kidding too.

Enigma
01-16-09, 03:41 PM
And the aircraft, good european craftmanship.
Salute to the pilot, and the workers of Airbus. :smug:

No need to kid here. I agree with this sentiment %110!

Biggles
01-16-09, 03:49 PM
Now that's something you don't see everyday...

Kudos to the pilot(s?) One helluva job right there mates!

OneToughHerring
01-16-09, 03:56 PM
Are they already torturing the family of that bird...? You know, to get to the truth.

Jimbuna
01-16-09, 04:27 PM
Immediate retirement with a huge tax free pension for life http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

Enigma
01-16-09, 04:33 PM
Immediate retirement with a huge tax free pension for life

From an American Airline? :rotfl:;)

Jimbuna
01-16-09, 04:37 PM
Immediate retirement with a huge tax free pension for life

From an American Airline? :rotfl:;)

From a grateful people/government. :up:

GoldenRivet
01-16-09, 04:59 PM
he will probably be pulled into the chief pilots office with a big meeting between management and union reps in which his future with the airline will be discussed.

The union will defend him and the management will try their best to pick apart his decisions and justify his termination.

I can promise you he has been sent home with pay, and has received numerous drug and alcohol tests, and has fielded dozens of phone calls from company, FAA and NTSB officials.

OR

He will receive the pilot of the year award at U.S. Airways and will be returned to his original flight sequence next week.

one or the other- at least thats how it worked at my airline

bookworm_020
01-16-09, 07:56 PM
Double bird strike seems to be the fault, Great work by the pilot!:yep:

Enigma
01-16-09, 09:07 PM
While we are all praising the Captain, who deserves it....

Let's not forget the 1st officer, who deserves it equally. In a modern airliner, good CPM and communication, and two cool heads must conspire to make this happen. The media is forgetting the guy in the right seat. Lets not make the same mistake.

It has also been reported that while initially a little panic may have broken out in the passengers area, that order was maintained, and again, cooler heads prevailed. I'd bet the farm you can thank an excellent cabin crew for this. Training pays off, and they deserve a pat on the back too. :up:

GoldenRivet
01-16-09, 09:44 PM
I'd bet the farm you can thank an excellent cabin crew for this. Training pays off, and they deserve a pat on the back too. :up:

absolutely, those flight attendants are as much the heroes as anyone.

As we used to tell them before closing the cockpit door... "Your in charge of everything between this door and the tail... whatever you say about that area we will back it up 100%"

It takes a whole team to move that plane from one part of the country to the other, and when that team works well together... the result is usually happy.

i can think of a million ways this event could have snowballed quite badly.

Oberon
01-17-09, 05:51 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7835497.stm

Video of the landing.

Fish
01-17-09, 06:21 PM
I think this is going right into the pilot texbooks. How to land a plane on water.

Jimbuna
01-18-09, 11:53 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7835497.stm

Video of the landing.

Top marks to the skill of the pilot and his first officer for the way they conducted that forced landing.....how different that could have been does not bear thinking about.

Digital_Trucker
01-18-09, 12:34 PM
If I hadn't known better, I would have thought that was just a very large speedboat coming to a stop. Amen to the adding it to the textbook:up: