PDA

View Full Version : Navy Background?

sonicninja
01-14-09, 04:06 AM
How many of us have a navy background or have served or are serving on Submarines?

Im in the Royal Navy serving on Trafalgar Class SSNs :up:

Freiwillige
01-14-09, 05:27 AM
My Brother was a U.S. Navy man serving as a gunners mate on a destroyer in the 80's. He even saw action against Iranian oil wells in the Persian Gulf firing 5" guns:up: Me on the other hand just a WWII history simmer. Almost joined the Marine Corps twice does that count for anything? Didnt think so.

meduza
01-14-09, 08:24 AM
Im in the Royal Navy serving on Trafalgar Class SSNs :up: :rock:
What's your duty there?

I served 8 months as a gunner on a patrol boat. It was during the war, but I saw almost no action.

mr chris
01-14-09, 09:30 AM
My grandfather on my dads side was a officer in the Royal Navy during the second world war. He served on Torpedo boats and Destroyers
I am the only member of the family since to have joined the forces.
Though i for my sins am in the Army and not the Navy.

Red Heat
01-14-09, 09:49 AM
I was in the Portuguish Navy too... :D

andym
01-14-09, 12:18 PM
I was an MA in the RN for 8 years,the closest i got to a boat was walking past HMSm Alliance on the way to catch the PAS boat for a DTS over in Pompey!:lol: :lol:

Spike88
01-14-09, 12:45 PM
I was joining the US Navy as a Nuclear Engineer for a submarine, but had problems with my petty officer.

FIREWALL
01-14-09, 12:53 PM
I was the youngest Admiral in the Sea Scouts. :arrgh!:

Does that count ? :lol:

cerror
01-14-09, 04:11 PM
I haven't served, but my little brother has. He was in the US Navy as an avionics electrician in the ASW squadron VS-32 stationed in Jacksonville, Florida. He also did 3 patrols (2 of which involved combat) aboard the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise.

Apparently, their first patrol was fraught with problems. When they were just a week out of port 2 of the ship's reactors had to be shut down due to some cooling problems. A few days after that the firefighting crew managed to drive their tractor overboard (no casualties though). Later, their fresh water filter broke down so no one could shower for days.

On the second patrol, they had a catapult failure and one of the S-3s was launched into the ocean (the crew were rescued safely though).

Quite dramatic! I wonder if this sort of thing is common in other navies. :hmm:

Anyway, after the 3rd patrol, my brother transfered to the experimental test squadron VX-1 based in Maryland, where it's probably a lot safer. :lol:

Spike88
01-14-09, 05:44 PM
I haven't served, but my little brother has. He was in the US Navy as an avionics electrician in the ASW squadron VS-32 stationed in Jacksonville, Florida. He also did 3 patrols (2 of which involved combat) aboard the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise.

Apparently, their first patrol was fraught with problems. When they were just a week out of port 2 of the ship's reactors had to be shut down due to some cooling problems. A few days after that the firefighting crew managed to drive their tractor overboard (no casualties though). Later, their fresh water filter broke down so no one could shower for days.

On the second patrol, they had a catapult failure and one of the S-3s was launched into the ocean (the crew were rescued safely though).

Quite dramatic! I wonder if this sort of thing is common in other navies. :hmm:

Anyway, after the 3rd patrol, my brother transfered to the experimental test squadron VX-1 based in Maryland, where it's probably a lot safer. :lol:

Bit off topic, but I was watching a documentary about the Nimitz. In it there was footage of one of the arresting wires used for stopping the jets snapping. One dude on the flight deck managed to jump over it twice, but others where hit in legs by it and critically injured.

Paul_IronCoffin
01-14-09, 06:27 PM
I was a Chief Petty Officer (WEA) for a few years over a decade ago. A bad experience with a goalkeeper gun led to my premature retirement on disability.

...second best time of my life. I miss it, but I went on to do even better things!

A Very Super Market
01-14-09, 07:21 PM
I believe that one of my grand uncles served in a Chinese patrol boat from 1937-48. As for myself, I'm too young to join a navy. :P

Sailor Steve
01-14-09, 07:23 PM
USS Brinkley Bass (DD-887), 1969-1970, Vietnam, Taipei, Subic Bay, Long Beach, Midway, Pearl Harbor...saw most of the Pacific.

"Join the Navy - See the World!"

The World is flat and blue.:sunny:

colter_236
01-14-09, 11:17 PM
my dad served on an aircraft carrier from 1978-1981 and im thinking of joining the navy when i graduate from highschool

Puster Bill
01-15-09, 08:29 PM
Army here.

I was a SIGINT weenie, a Morse interceptor. I used to listen to the CW transmissions of other nations. Not all that long ago, either: From 1985 to 1989.

I was actively recruited by the Navy for the nuclear program, but honestly I didn't want to commit to a 6 year hitch. Air Force wanted me too. Marines didn't care one way or the other. So, I followed in my father's footsteps and went into Army signals intelligence.

I have been aboard a couple of museum ships (USS Becuna and USS Bowfin), and I got a personal tour of the USS Olympia (SSN-717). One of the sonar guys was married to a fellow SIGINT op, who knew I had an interest in subs, so he gave me and my roomies a tour (minus the reactor and machinery spaces, of course). I got to hear a tug warming up it's engines on the other side of Pearl Harbor in the sonar shack.

-SWCowboy.
01-15-09, 08:36 PM
USN here, been serving since 2005.
Been aboard the USS George Washington, I've seen St. Maarten, Antigua, Brazil, and Chile aboard that boat... Off the GW I've been to Alaska, and Key West FL.

Wouldn't trade my career for anything in the world! :cool:

sonicninja
01-16-09, 04:32 AM
USN here, been serving since 2005.
Been aboard the USS George Washington, I've seen St. Maarten, Antigua, Brazil, and Chile aboard that boat... Off the GW I've been to Alaska, and Key West FL.

Wouldn't trade my career for anything in the world! :cool:

I did an "Underwater Look" of the George Washington in 2002 when I was on HMS Tireless, our sonar guys could even hear the aircraft taking off on deck, that is one big ship, a hard target to miss with torpedo's!!! But still an impressive sight through a periscope.

Weiss Pinguin
01-16-09, 05:11 AM
No personal military experience (Still a bit young for that), but recently my father retired after 23 years as a naval aviator, and my grandfather served on submarines during the Cold War. (Probably where I get my fascination of submarines from) Several other relatives on that side of the family served in the military as well.

And to that the fact that we currently live in Corpus Christi, Texas, which is where a high number of aviators train - Lots of WWII vets as well - and I'd say I'm pretty well immersed in Naval tradition, at least of the American sort. :lol:

Doolar
01-18-09, 11:24 AM
:up: I myself was in the Air Force and worked avionics ( INS / WRCS on F4-E's ) from 77-81 . My dad is a sub vet , say from 48-54 . He served on the CUSK , the GROUPER and the CATFISH .

wetgoat
01-19-09, 09:56 AM
USN 1974-1979 Navy Air- powerplants division, USS Ranger, USS Kitty Hawk- flat, grey, and underway!

irish1958
01-19-09, 04:21 PM
I once dated a nurse who was in the USN. Does that count? I was in the USAF.

momo55
01-19-09, 07:53 PM
In the seventies i served on :

MSI MineSweeper Inshore :
M477 oudenaarde & M476 merksem

MineSweeper Ocean :
M903 Dufour ( former U.S.Navy MSO498 )
M906 Breydel ( former U.S.Navy MSO504 )
http://www.mso-belgium.org/

Frigat :
F911 westdiep

;)