PDA

View Full Version : Watching the Growth of Walmart Across America

Enigma
01-07-09, 04:49 PM
Astounding.... (http://projects.flowingdata.com/walmart/)

longam
01-07-09, 04:55 PM
I think they have hit the top of the curve, I hear rumor of closings coming. This reminds me of Kmart and the rocket ship ride they took.

Chad
01-07-09, 05:01 PM
I work for Wal-Mart in the Electronics department, our store, though very small comparing to other stores in the same county, has been having outstanding sales and tremendous amounts of new customers coming in that normally would not shop at Wal-Mart.

However, that being said, one of the biggest stores in the nation that had just opened up in early 2008, was inspected by the big boys in the company and they failed miserably. Stuff was laying around on the ground, customer support (which is the MOST important thing to Wal-Mart) was poor, and overall a disgrace. I'm not sure of all that happened, but several members of my store, and managers, went to help out for a couple of weeks.

But as for closings, if that store doesn't turn itself around, I can see it closing, but nowhere, not in 5 years at least, will a Wal-Mart turn upside down. That's what I think, and what I think Wal-Mart wants us to think :hmm:

Etienne
01-07-09, 07:38 PM
(...) customer support (which is the MOST important thing to Wal-Mart) was poor, and overall a disgrace. (...)

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Nothing personnal, but I've never had good customer service at Wal-Mart... Because I've never had any customer service.

Except the one time I walked in and asked for 40 gallons of anti-freeze... And could you please call me a cab?

But that's another story.

Task Force
01-07-09, 07:47 PM
Yea, and that map is missing a couple that are now in my city.:lol:

FIREWALL
01-07-09, 07:50 PM
One opened near me and I was amazed at all the brand name products at lower prices than anywhere else.

I got good customer service.

Task Force
01-07-09, 07:55 PM
The ones here have constant business also, The place is always packed.:yep: (buissie at midnight.) I went there late one night to attempt to not stand in a long line, still the place had a lot of people in it. (Wal-mart`s best kept secret, go to electronics if lines up front are long. lol)

FIREWALL
01-07-09, 08:02 PM
The ones here have constant business also, The place is always packed.:yep: (buissie at midnight.) I went there late one night to attempt to not stand in a long line, still the place had a lot of people in it. (Wal-mart`s best kept secret, go to electronics if lines up front are long. lol)

I do that too. :rotfl:

SteamWake
01-07-09, 08:03 PM
Just goes to show that even in 'this economy' with a good buisness model you can be sucessfull.

SUBMAN1
01-07-09, 10:27 PM
I think they have hit the top of the curve, I hear rumor of closings coming. This reminds me of Kmart and the rocket ship ride they took.Maybe, but discount stores seem to do even better in harsher economic times.

-S

Chad
01-07-09, 10:34 PM
Well, I strive on customer service, and before Electronics I was a cashier, and then service desk for returns. I have to be nice to people even when I don't want too, and not everyone deserves to be nice to.

I just recently passed the hourly management test, so I am eligible to run a department or a customer service manager, but I'm not going to be a lifer (someone who spends their life working for Wal-Mart). Instead, I've got bigger, better things planned, unless Wal-Mart starts to show me some green for all the money I'm making them selling HD-TV's and gaming consoles..

nikimcbee
01-08-09, 01:46 AM
Well, I strive on customer service, and before Electronics I was a cashier, and then service desk for returns. I have to be nice to people even when I don't want too, and not everyone deserves to be nice to.

I just recently passed the hourly management test, so I am eligible to run a department or a customer service manager, but I'm not going to be a lifer (someone who spends their life working for Wal-Mart). Instead, I've got bigger, better things planned, unless Wal-Mart starts to show me some green for all the money I'm making them selling HD-TV's and gaming consoles..

Good for you Chad! The more you can learn about the products, the better sale person you'll be. Many moons ago, i used to work for a catalog company. When I first started, I'd get a lot of "tech calls." I would just forward the calls to the tech guys, but I was losing the opprtunity to make a commision. I learned the tech details fast and stole a lot of their "calls." I resolved their problems faster and they ordered through me instead of them. So it really paid off.:up:

ENEMY BELOW
01-08-09, 02:23 AM
LOOKS LIKE A GOOD SELECTION OF SEAHAWK MIRV TARGETS
AND CAN WE CHART THE TRAIL OF EMPTY FIRST GENERATION WAL MARTS LEFT BEHIND TO ROT?:hmm:

Letum
01-08-09, 02:34 AM
I don't know if this shows free capitalist business working and selecting the best
company by democratic choice of the people by where they shop by working on such
economies of scale that the goods are the best quality for the least price or if it
shows free capitalist business failing by ultimately producing a company that works on
such economies of scale that is subdues any competitors, resulting in the loss of
consumer choice to some degree giving the company leeway to do questionable things
that smaller companies could not do, either because they lack the resources or do not
have the security of the market monopoly to fall back upon.

Haha! one sentence! That's gonna make my ramblings impenetrable. :dead:

*edit* Wow! you can really see that depression in the '90s.

Aramike
01-08-09, 03:55 AM
I don't know if this shows free capitalist business working and selecting the best
company by democratic choice of the people by where they shop by working on such
economies of scale that the goods are the best quality for the least price or if it
shows free capitalist business failing by ultimately producing a company that works on
such economies of scale that is subdues any competitors, resulting in the loss of
consumer choice to some degree giving the company leeway to do questionable things
that smaller companies could not do, either because they lack the resources or do not
have the security of the market monopoly to fall back upon.

Haha! one sentence! That's gonna make my ramblings impenetrable. :dead:

*edit* Wow! you can really see that depression in the '90s.I've tried to read that at least 4 times now... :damn: :doh: :know:

fatty
01-08-09, 09:51 AM
Cool animation. Would be interesting to see how they have spread up here.

We had a new huge one open up in my neighbourhood last year. It was actually a store that was relocating out of a strip mall into its own business park so it could have a grocery section. I hate shopping there because the store's enormous and is a haven for 50-somethings with no teeth that stand in the middle of the aisles with their mouths open, marveling at the height of the shelves.

That said, though, they must be doing well for themselves, because they are paying to hold on to the lease for their old space (now empty), locking out any competing department stores that could move into it.

Iceman
01-10-09, 12:05 AM
I hate shopping there because the store's enormous and is a haven for 50-somethings with no teeth that stand in the middle of the aisles with their mouths open, marveling at the height of the shelves.

I had to login just to comment on this...that was funny as hell Fatty...lmao.:rotfl: