PDA

View Full Version : I want to get back to Moscow...

XabbaRus
01-04-09, 02:42 PM
I'm fed up of living in Scotland and though it might sound like "grass greener on the other side" I see pictures of Moscow and although aware of the political and economic realities I really want to go back there to work and live. Catch is trying to find something that will provide for my family and teaching English isn't that.

Any ideas, serious ones please.

Stage one of my 5 year plan is to go back to uni and do electrical engineering....but hell I really want to get back to Russia....my damn company isn't going to send me there.

PeriscopeDepth
01-04-09, 02:46 PM
You must have a job/some set of skills now. Unless it's teaching English?

If you're current set of skills isn't transferable, you could always be a spy.

(Connery voice) Rus. Xabba Rus.

PD

A Very Super Market
01-04-09, 02:51 PM
I noticed the "5-year plan" line and laughed. Is teaching English all you do? Surely you must have more experience than that.

Remember, if all else fails, I hear there a few new coal mines opening up in Ukraine.

XabbaRus
01-04-09, 02:55 PM
Hey I'm a draughtsman by profession with project management experience, ie assisting the project engineer with the stuff they don't want to do.

I'm serious here but it would be nice to have a few suggestions without the sarcasm.

I taught english over there for a few years before I came back to Scotland..

You know how many draughtsmen they have in Russia..tons so they aren't going to employ a westerner even if he can speak Russian.

nikimcbee
01-04-09, 03:04 PM
Cool, can I go with you? I was in Moscow in '94 and I really want to go back to visit.

A Very Super Market
01-04-09, 03:08 PM
Sorry about the sarcasm, force of habit.

I guess thats a pretty tough situation. You could go for an elongated visit, to get it out of your system for a while you get an elec engineering degree at university.

PeriscopeDepth
01-04-09, 03:10 PM
Hey I'm a draughtsman by profession with project management experience, ie assisting the project engineer with the stuff they don't want to do.

I'm serious here but it would be nice to have a few suggestions without the sarcasm.

I taught english over there for a few years before I came back to Scotland..

You know how many draughtsmen they have in Russia..tons so they aren't going to employ a westerner even if he can speak Russian. Go for the engineering degree for sure. When you have that and more lucrative opportunities open up for you at home, you may not want to go back.

PD

Tchocky
01-04-09, 03:27 PM
Probably not the worst time to be moving out of the UK, too.

Earning something other than sterling could help you out :)

AntEater
01-04-09, 03:43 PM
I post the invevitable (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-2LQGigK-0)

I know a lot of russians or russian germans who think about going back.
Btw, this is the ideal time to go to London.
I can buy a lot of great military books and such for 1 pound = 1 euro and I'm single so I won't be spending all my time in Oxford Street carrying bags of shoes.

Kapitan
01-04-09, 04:31 PM
Other than teach something in the line of designing they are probably looking for new ship designs with the carriers they want to build so maybe malakhit or rubin may take you.

Security is a good one driving jobs (not recomended BTW and advised against driving in moscow!), but also think of the nessesitys what do people need in services?

Always need people to read water gas electric meters here always looking for shop keepers or perhapse start up your own buisness.

Most of this most likely sounds crap and far fetched but never know.

P.S im your carry on btw :D

Oberon
01-04-09, 05:18 PM
With Russia starting to earn more big bucks, degrees in engineering and perhaps even construction as well as some experience, would probably go a long way. :yep:

MothBalls
01-04-09, 05:48 PM
http://www.monster.com/geo/siteselection.asp

Kapitan_Phillips
01-04-09, 07:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQAKRw6mToA

I've always wanted to visit Russia. :D

UnderseaLcpl
01-04-09, 10:18 PM
I can't understand how you would be fed up with Scotland, but then I've never lived there, only visited. Other than the gas prices, I couldn't complain.

Never having been to Russia, let alone Moscow, the only input I have came from a teacher of mine who went there to adopt a child. It was a about 8 years ago, but she complained that the weather was unbearably cold, the drivers were crazy, and the living conditions on her block were deploreable.

Perhaps you could pay a visit to Moscow and see what's changed over the years before making your decision?

Onkel Neal
01-04-09, 10:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQAKRw6mToA

I've always wanted to visit Russia. :D

Been there, done that, won't be going back. :shifty:

XabbaRus
01-05-09, 04:53 AM
I lived in Moscow for 3 years and a year in Tomsk before that. My wife is Russian and I go there every year so I know what Russia is about.

I also understand that people either love it or hate it...

As for Scotland, well I live in a little town called Inverurie, near Aberdeen.....after you have been to the castles and the few things for the kids to see there isn't that much to do. We need to drive to go for a decent interesting walk in the park. The interesting museums and things to see are in Glasgow and Edinburgh, everybody is related to everyone else, being so small you can't screw up as people will recognise you. It's grey.....The local council is so much in debt they shut down all the places we used to take the kids to, eg the ice-rink, science park etc.....

Frame57
01-05-09, 12:18 PM
Try Biomedical Engineering. It provides a service and it is technical as well. It offers a myriad of opportunities. You could work for companies that manufacture and repair medical equipment. Hospital also employ BMET's in house to manage and repair equipment. Siemens, Drager and Hamilton all have European Companies. Puritan Bennet is also manufacturing out of Ireland. For me, I took the hospital route because wherever there is a hopital, there is potential work for me. There are three levels in this career. A 2 year electronics with anatomy and physiology gets one into the repair side. The 4 and 6 year programs are for those who want to work on the design end of things. Salaries range from 50 to 100k.

Onkel Neal
01-05-09, 12:19 PM
Yeah, you're right, I haven't been there in 10 years.

OneToughHerring
01-05-09, 01:39 PM
I lived in Moscow for 3 years and a year in Tomsk before that. My wife is Russian and I go there every year so I know what Russia is about.

I also understand that people either love it or hate it...

As for Scotland, well I live in a little town called Inverurie, near Aberdeen.....after you have been to the castles and the few things for the kids to see there isn't that much to do. We need to drive to go for a decent interesting walk in the park. The interesting museums and things to see are in Glasgow and Edinburgh, everybody is related to everyone else, being so small you can't screw up as people will recognise you. It's grey.....The local council is so much in debt they shut down all the places we used to take the kids to, eg the ice-rink, science park etc.....
I've heard a lot of good things about Edinburgh. Haven't been there but am planning to visit one day. There's something about those Scottish women...or maybe it's the whisky...or a combination of the two...:D One thing Scotland has is plenty of nature to go hiking in, nice semi-flat hills and mountains.

edit. I'm not sure if Moscow is necessarily that ideal quite yet, especially if you have small children. They are constantly improving and if you can dish out a little dough there will be all the services available. That said, the society is divided into classes and there is quite a lot of serious crime around. I'm hoping they'll get things organised eventually. But if you've made up your mind, there might be some money to be made in real-estate. The price of land in Moscow has been skyrocketing.

Tchocky
01-05-09, 01:41 PM
Edinburgh is lovely. Hilly, but lovely :)

XabbaRus
01-05-09, 06:32 PM
Hmm if I bumped off the inlaws my wife would be sitting on a pile....OK would never do that I love them.

As far as crime in Moscow....I actually feel safer there than I do in London oddly enough.

Russia IMHO is badly reported in the world's press. Where there's a will there's a way....I will find a way.