PDA

View Full Version : Nuclear Genocide? An article on DU rounds.

SUBMAN1
12-26-08, 08:31 PM
Found this article a bit interesting. Health effects of DU rounds. Its a little older, but good. Basically, you can have DU rounds for breakfast withlut any ill effect! :D

http://www.reason.com/news/show/34787.html

-S

What happens to DU if someone eats it? According to a European Union study (http://europa.eu.int/comm/environment/radprot/opinion.pdf) released in 2001, "most of the ingested DU (between 98% and 99.8%, depending on the solubility of the uranium compound) will be rapidly eliminated in the faeces." The vast majority of any remaining uranium will be "rapidly cleared from the blood" in a few weeks. Similarly, the majority of inhaled DU dust will also be cleared via the bloodstream and kidneys. The EU report concluded that "exposure to DU could not produce any detectable health effects under realistic assumptions of the doses that would be received."

Zachstar
12-26-08, 10:21 PM
Go eat some Subman. Since you obviously believe the deformities and the horror from this stuff is BS.

fatty
12-26-08, 10:37 PM
Go eat some Subman. Since you obviously believe the deformities and the horror from this stuff is BS.

Directly beneath the paragraph SUBMAN just cited:

That said, DU is a heavy metal; and like lead, nickel, and other heavy metals, it is chemically toxic when consumed in large quantities, especially harming the kidneys. However, studies looking at likely exposures to DU during and after battles have found that its effects on the kidneys of soldiers and civilians are mild and transient.

Stealth Hunter
12-26-08, 10:39 PM
I'm still not eating it. They did say, as fatty pointed out, that it still has affects.

SUBMAN1
12-27-08, 12:20 AM

That said, DU is a heavy metal; and like lead, nickel, and other heavy metals, it is chemically toxic when consumed in large quantities, especially harming the kidneys. However, studies looking at likely exposures to DU during and after battles have found that its effects on the kidneys of soldiers and civilians are mild and transient.
You seem to missed the keywords 'LARGE QUANTITIES' or something. Which basically means you must eat an entire DU rd for breakfast.

Duh! Same effect from eating a breakfast platter of Nickel.

-S

subchaser12
12-27-08, 12:40 AM
[quote=SUBMAN1] Basically, you can have DU rounds for breakfast withlut any ill effect! :D

[quote]

I dare you to say this to anyone with Gulf War sydrome you scumbag. Yes I said scumbag, because this is beyond low dude. I've personaly known people with gulf war syndrome. I saw an MP's (military police) kid with no arms, just hands at this shoulders. Saw it with my own eyes at a wal-mart years ago. He was in desert storm. There was a guy in my unit who hadn't slept since the gulf war.

What are you going to post next? Zyclon B not harmful if breathed in?

Aramike
12-27-08, 01:17 AM
[quote=SUBMAN1] Basically, you can have DU rounds for breakfast withlut any ill effect! :D

[quote]

I dare you to say this to anyone with Gulf War sydrome you scumbag. Yes I said scumbag, because this is beyond low dude. I've personaly known people with gulf war syndrome. I saw an MP's (military police) kid with no arms, just hands at this shoulders. Saw it with my own eyes at a wal-mart years ago. He was in desert storm. There was a guy in my unit who hadn't slept since the gulf war.

What are you going to post next? Zyclon B not harmful if breathed in?Get off your high horse, fool. Those people with Gulf War Syndrome would be members of the military that you constantly call idiots. Me thinks you just make stuff up to attempt to support whatever argument you're trying to make at the time.

The funny part is, the stuff you make up isn't any smarter than the original arguments.

subchaser12
12-27-08, 01:36 AM
Get off your high horse, fool. Those people with Gulf War Syndrome would be members of the military that you constantly call idiots.

Tough talk from some ex chairborne pogue anonymous on the internets. I hope you enjoy calling me names here pogue, we both know you wouldn't dare face to face. People like you don't talk smack to people like me off the internet and you know it.

Yes they were idiots for joining the military. I was an idiot when I joined, how smart can you be at 17? We all make mistakes, joining the military is a common one. I can't stand the military or worse, it's fanboys like you. Having said that I don't clap and laugh when some slob gets his legs blown off or gets gulf war syndrome.

So, you deny gulf war syndrome? Everything else you say sounds like I was written by a pentagon propaganda team so I don't see why this should be any different.

Aramike
12-27-08, 01:40 AM
Tough talk from some ex chairborne pogue anonymous on the internets. I hope you enjoy calling me names here pogue, we both know you wouldn't dare face to face. People like you don't talk smack to people like me off the internet and you know it.Next time you're in Milwaukee, let me know, tough guy. People like you? Complete morons?

You're scaring no one. The common guesses so far are that you're 17-19 years old, and have had your milk money intimidated out of you far too many times.

Anyone who talks as big about themselves as you do has "issues" that need to be compensated for. :rotfl: So, you deny gulf war syndrome? Everything else you say sounds like I was written by a pentagon propaganda team so I don't see why this should be any different.Didn't say that.

That data is inconclusive. Unlike you, when there is no sure answer, I don't pretend there is one.

Dance, puppet.

subchaser12
12-27-08, 01:44 AM
Next time you're in Milwaukee, let me know, tough guy. People like you? Complete morons?

You're scaring no one. The common guesses so far are that you're 17-19 years old, and have had your milk money intimidated out of you far too many times.

I wouldn't be caught dead in some fly over crappy red state like that. Milk money? Just how old are you?

I like how you continue to deny I'm ex-infantry. That's amusing.

Aramike
12-27-08, 01:47 AM
I wouldn't be caught dead in some fly over crappy red state like that. Milk money? Just how old are you?

I like how you continue to deny I'm ex-infantry. That's amusing.Wow, you're stupid. Milwaukee is in Wisconsin. Wisconsin is a solidly BLUE STATE.

Deny that you're ex-infantry? Anyone who claims to have a bad-conduct discharge doesn't get credit for service, anyway. Personally, judging by something you said in your claim, I don't think you made it that far.

Need some more milk money?

Zachstar
12-27-08, 01:48 AM
And useless on a netforum.

It is not like the admins seem to care that this forum has degraded into flamebaitville but can't you leave that to the resident flamebaitist?

subchaser12
12-27-08, 01:53 AM

I like how you continue to deny I'm ex-infantry. That's amusing.Wow, you're stupid. Milwaukee is in Wisconsin. Wisconsin is a solidly BLUE STATE.

Deny that you're ex-infantry? Anyone who claims to have a bad-conduct discharge doesn't get credit for service, anyway. Personally, judging by something you said in your claim, I don't think you made it that far.

Need some more milk money?

Thank you genius, I know it's in Wisconsin. You know of a way to visit Milwaukee without landing in the state? My bad about it being a redstate, no one pays attention to those little middle fly over states.

Dude, what's with this milk money thing, I don't get it? I never just bought milk in school, you bought the whole lunch. I'm just thinking this insult is dated. I played football in highschool, that's how ended up in the infantry, too much teenage testosterone.

A Very Super Market
12-27-08, 01:57 AM
Can't you guys make your own thread to argue in?

Aramike
12-27-08, 01:58 AM
Thank you genius, I know it's in Wisconsin. You know of a way to visit Milwaukee without landing in the state?How was I supposed to know that you knew that? You clearly mislabelled it politically?My bad about it being a redstate, no one pays attention to those little middle fly over states.Really? Your lord and personal savior President-Elect Barack Obama is from this little hillbilly town called "Chicago" only 90 miles south of here.

Idiot.

So I'm guessing you're just making stuff up as usual. Just because your brain can't keep track of all us little redneck folk here in flyover country, doesn't mean that some people who are smarter, can.

Milk-money thing? Yeah, you're probably too young to get that reference.

subchaser12
12-27-08, 02:01 AM
Really? Your lord and personal savior President-Elect Barack Obama is from this little hillbilly town called "Chicago" only 90 miles south of here.

Idiot.

Yeah you're a centrist alright, what a liar. Hillbilly town? You said it not me, but at least you know your place.

subchaser12
12-27-08, 02:03 AM
Milk-money thing? Yeah, you're probably too young to get that reference.

How old are you? If you would answer that it would give me a frame of reference. Is that classified too? Did all that get burned up for your new top secret identity agent orange?

Aramike
12-27-08, 02:11 AM
Yeah you're a centrist alright, what a liar.Not lying. You don't even know what it means. You're too, say, unenlightened to know that there are people who are not right-wingers but STILL disagree with you on most things.You said it not me, but at least you know your place.Milwaukee. Just like Obama's is Chicago and now Washington DC. Your point is ... nonexistant. Per usual.How old are you? If you would answer that it would give me a frame of reference. Is that classified too? Did all that get burned up for your new top secret identity agent orange?Wow, you used the same unfounded joke for the 30th time, that wasn't even funny the 1st.

Dance, desperate puppet.

Stealth Hunter
12-27-08, 02:16 AM
http://www.peoriadefense.com/photo_host/BuildingaBetterCorn.PopcornThatis_C73D/popcorn.jpg

Anybody else want some?

subchaser12
12-27-08, 02:20 AM
Wow, you used the same unfounded joke for the 30th time, that wasn't even funny the 1st.

I bet it isn't funny for you that I called your bluff.

Get used to it PX Ranger. In that other post you did the *wink *nod "my record is classified and I can't legally tell you BS" when I called you on your 19 year career that ended abruptly just short of retirement.

I've met many a military faker in my day and you're one. You are not the first guy on a video game forum to try and make his military service look like more than it was and you won't be the last. You were on office bitch in the army, stop acting like you were out on black ops. We know better and you are only fooling yourself.

You're scared to death to breathe any other little detail about your claimed military record becase you know I've got you and I can blow it open.

Chairborne Ranger..... back again..... he's done it before.... and he will do it again....

Come on, SING WITH ME!!!

Aramike
12-27-08, 02:29 AM
I bet it isn't funny for you that I called your bluff. Yeah, well, you're a girl.

I just called your bluff. Must be true because I said it was.

Ms. Subchaser. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Get used to it PX Ranger. In that other post you did the *wink *nod "my record is classified and I can't legally tell you BS" when I called you on your 19 year career that ended abruptly just short of retirement. I said, actually, that I would devulge anything I legally can. RORSAT caps, and such, are not legal things to disseminate. Sorry. You lose again

As for my career, well, I'll still tell anyone but you how it ended. :|\\ I've met many a military faker in my day and you're one. You are not the first guy on a video game forum to try and make his military service look like more than it was and you won't be the last. You were on office bitch in the army, stop acting like you were out on black ops. We know better and you are only fooling yourself. Never said I was in "black ops". You're the idiot that can't figure out that there are things that can't be disseminated other than covert operations.

You made it all up, Ms. Subchaser. As usual.You're scared to death to breathe any other little detail about your claimed military record becase you know I've got you and I can blow it open. Not even the slightest afraid to. Anyone else can ask (nicely), and I'll share all I can. Heck, I'll go year-to-year.

I just like how riled up you get over it.

Dance a little more, puppet.

Aramike
12-27-08, 02:31 AM
http://www.peoriadefense.com/photo_host/BuildingaBetterCorn.PopcornThatis_C73D/popcorn.jpg

Anybody else want some?LOL, I'd go for some. It's funny how this goes from thread-to-thread...

subchaser12
12-27-08, 02:39 AM
I said, actually, that I would devulge anything I legally can. RORSAT caps, and such, are not legal things to disseminate. Sorry. You lose again

As for my career, well, I'll still tell anyone but you how it ended. :|\\ Never said I was in "black ops". You're the idiot that can't figure out that there are things that can't be disseminated other than covert operations.

I see I was right about the 96 series and not 97. You're so easy.

I'm not asking for any boring data that's classified. I'm asking about your DD214, that's not classified and neither are your annual career reports. I forget what they are called, the Navy calls them fitreps. So stop acting like all your stuff is classified, it isn't.

You keep repeating how you don't mind answering any question, but you won't answer anything. I got you, I pulled your punk card.

What do you do for a living now, I know you had to go get a J-O-B. What is there in that little hole you live in? Let me guess, security guard?

Have fun freezing in Alaska?

Aramike
12-27-08, 02:45 AM
I said, actually, that I would devulge anything I legally can. RORSAT caps, and such, are not legal things to disseminate. Sorry. You lose again

As for my career, well, I'll still tell anyone but you how it ended. :|\\ Never said I was in "black ops". You're the idiot that can't figure out that there are things that can't be disseminated other than covert operations.

I see I was right about the 96 series and not 97. You're so easy.

I'm not asking for any boring data that's classified. I'm asking about your DD214, that's not classified and neither are your fitreps. So stop acting like it is.

Have fun freezing in Alaska?Umm, I'm not saying my discharge papers are classified. All I said was that I would share anything that's legal. You turned that to mean the garbage you want it to mean, looking like an idiot in the process.

But still, I'm not going to tell you why I left... anyone else, sure. Not you.

Why? Because it pisses you off so much. If it didn't, you would have stopped bringing it up quite a few posts ago...

Stealth Hunter
12-27-08, 02:58 AM

Anybody else want some?LOL, I'd go for some. It's funny how this goes from thread-to-thread...

They actually have a Flame Warrior for that: the Duelists.

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/duelists.htm

In a perpetual personal feud, Duelists generally don't menace anyone but each other, unless, of course, another Warrior foolishly gets between them. They may not even remember what started the fight, but not they cordially loathe one another and seize every to go at each other. When the other Warriors eventually weary of their endless kvetching the Duelists will be shouted down or Nanny (http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/nanny.htm) will ban them. Even after getting the heave-ho from one forum, however, it is not unusual for them to seeking each other in other forums to renew their fight.

Aramike
12-27-08, 04:01 AM
They actually have a Flame Warrior for that: the Duelists.

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/war...m/duelists.htmI haven't seen that stuff in YEARS... :rotfl:

Awesome!

XabbaRus
12-27-08, 05:55 AM
And the Christmas truce did end...

HunterICX
12-27-08, 05:57 AM
And the Christmas truce did end...

It's indeed a bit too early for new years eve

HunterICX

Kapitan_Phillips
12-27-08, 08:24 AM
Phasers on suspend.

Digital_Trucker
12-27-08, 08:49 AM
I see history repeating itself (as it quite often does).

Subsim Monitor
12-27-08, 09:47 AM
I dare you to say this to anyone with Gulf War sydrome you scumbag. Yes I said scumbag,

Unacceptable, 10 days in the brig.

fatty
12-27-08, 10:54 AM

You seem to missed the keywords 'LARGE QUANTITIES' or something. Which basically means you must eat an entire DU rd for breakfast.

Duh! Same effect from eating a breakfast platter of Nickel.

-S

Well, you said "basically, you can have DU rounds for breakfast withlut [sic] any ill effect!" and that is blatantly false.

RickC Sniper
12-27-08, 08:14 PM

Anybody else want some?

Needs a bit more salt.

baggygreen
12-28-08, 05:55 AM
Back onto topic a bit more...

these days, just living gives you cancer. You're bombarded with sound waves while you're still developing, and we all know how people whinge about sound waves causing sea animals to go kamikaze themselves on beaches. Verdict? not good.

TV in the home from a young age, spewing out its radiation. verdict? not good. Mocrowave being used to defrost, or to cook - not good. Radio waves coursing through the air - not good. Xrays when you break your arm, taken while the doc hides behind steel-reinforced concrete - not good.

Mobile phones being everywhere - not good. Wireless internet beaming and buzzing around the shop, not good. Cars, trucks, anything with an engine spitting out carbon monoxide - not good! Get out in the sun to get your dose of vitamin d (or is it E?) - UV rays, verdict not good.

My point is that the very act of being conceived begins a lifetime of being bombarded by carcinogens and radiation in some form or other. Its a miracle that all of us are still around, it really is a wonder the population is so big.

Depleted uranium, well I wouldn't go out of my ay to have it for breakfast, but I do suspect the effects are being exaggerated by those with an anti-anything-nuclear agenda. I would put forward a theory that DU rounds are not the cause of GWS, but rather GWS is the result of many of the injections troops received prior to operations.

In fact, I'd take it a step further and suggest soldiers were given different drugs, possibly within the same units. Now I've got nothing to back it up other than a hunch, but I doubt the powers that be would've passed up the opportunity to trial several different vaccines against the same weapon, to see which was most effective in the event such weapons were used.

The only other thing that makes me wonder this is that aussie troops weren't in armour in the gulf war, however many of them suffer GWS. Army, navy, and airforce. That, to me, gives a little more credence to my theory that GWS is more a reaction to vaccines than to DU rounds.

Any thoughts / comments?

Wait, I see someone coming up my driveway, men in dark sedans in black suits... let me just go greet them:doh::lol:

Edit - I just hit the wiki site, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_War_syndrome, this is a balanced and on first impression fairly well-sourced article. For me, another firm piece of evidence against DU being responsible for GWS is the Balkans, where it was used however no cases have emerged.

However, the research continues. :)

peterloo
12-28-08, 09:32 AM
but I do suspect the effects are being exaggerated by those with an anti-anything-nuclear agenda

Agreed. The U-238 undergo only alpha decay. Alpha decay has little range and little penertrating power. It has a long half life of 246,000 years. So I suppose a soldier won't be subjected to large dosage of radiation as a result. The effects of radiation from DU munitions may be exaggerated.

Tchocky
12-28-08, 01:26 PM
Back onto topic a bit more...

these days, just living gives you cancer. You're bombarded with sound waves while you're still developing, and we all know how people whinge about sound waves causing sea animals to go kamikaze themselves on beaches. Verdict? not good.

Well, we don't rely on high-frequency sound waves for communication and navigation, whereas whales & dolphins do.
Not exactly similar situations.

Here endeth the nit-picking :)

SUBMAN1
12-28-08, 02:43 PM
Well, you said "basically, you can have DU rounds for breakfast withlut [sic] any ill effect!" and that is blatantly false.Somehow u missed the sarcasm! :D :p

You know, I've been thinking. Of course the left doesn't like DU rds. It is scary because it represents technology. Have you notice that the left doesn't like coal, cars, gas, electricity, nukes, mechanization, resource gathering, or even light bulbs? I could go on with this list all day, but one thing is clear:

The left is the modern equivelent of the Amish people! Dare to tell me I am wrong! :D

-S

antikristuseke
12-28-08, 03:01 PM
Well, you said "basically, you can have DU rounds for breakfast withlut [sic] any ill effect!" and that is blatantly false.Somehow u missed the sarcasm! :D :p

You know, I've been thinking. Of course the left doesn't like DU rds. It is scary because it represents technology. Have you notice that the left doesn't like coal, cars, gas, electricity, nukes, mechanization, resource gathering, or even light bulbs? I could go on with this list all day, but one thing is clear:

The left is the modern equivelent of the Amish people! Dare to tell me I am wrong! :D

-S

you are wrong. You are allso a self centered ***** with blinkers on who has a pesecution complex.

Im sorry, this is the politest I can phrase it.

Stealth Hunter
12-28-08, 08:21 PM
I dare you to say this to anyone with Gulf War sydrome you scumbag. Yes I said scumbag,

Unacceptable, 10 days in the brig.

:roll: