PDA

View Full Version : Thumb drive Backup Solutions

fatty
12-19-08, 07:16 PM
Hello,

I have a 1gb Kingston USB drive that I picked up on sale somewhere for a meagre $9. Since then, a lot of documents, photographs, and other files have migrated onto it. This drive is attached to my keys and follows me everywhere, which allows me to get work done during downtime pretty much wherever I am.

Now, the obvious problem here is that the drive is someday either going to slip off the carabiner and get lost or get left in a pocket and put through the wash. This was never a big deal as most of the documents are just old school assignments or photos I was taking to the drug store to get printed, but since I've started working on my 60-page thesis this has been a growing concern.

My question is, does anyone know of any software or similar solution that will download the contents of my USB drive to my home hard drive whenever I plug the drive into my main PC? I basically want something that will 'synch' the drive to a folder on my home PC whenever I load up the drive, so that I will always have a second backup incase the thumb drive is lost or stolen.

Any help appreciated :arrgh!:

Sonarman
12-19-08, 08:04 PM
I use the free Microsoft Synctoy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SyncToy)to synchronise stuff between my main HDD and my portable HDD it's probably good for USB as well.

bert8for3
12-19-08, 08:08 PM
If you're prepared to pay a few bucks, PowerDesk is a nice file manager program, includes sync functions.

CaptainHaplo
12-19-08, 10:14 PM
Don't pay for anything to do this. Windows comes with a function called "briefcase" or some such that will do this for you. Anytime data is stored in two locations - it will note the difference in the 2 files when the device goes live, and automatically update the old file with the new one.

fatty
12-20-08, 03:46 PM
SynchToy was pretty much exactly what I was looking for and works great, thanks :up: