PDA

View Full Version : Help Upgrading a PC

Spike88
12-18-08, 12:47 PM
My girlfriend has a dell that she got about a year ago. We would like to update it for gaming. Right now I believe it has a Pentium 4 2.0ghz processor, 1gb ram, and some crappy stock videocard. Oh and it has Vista.

I'd like to be able to play SHIV with the graphics turned up.

I was thinking about a Core 2 Duo 3.12ghz processor, and atleast 3gbs of ram, but besides that I dont know what type of video card to get. Anyone have suggestions? Also, if

FIREWALL
12-18-08, 01:52 PM
TigerDirect.com for all your computer needs. :yep:

She-Wolf
12-18-08, 05:43 PM
OEM machines like Dell are not always easily hardware upgradable, apart from memory and graphics, as they can be customized to that makers specs, so you need to check that whatever you want to fit in there actually WILL fit. Standard form factor boards and or processors with their correct heatsinks and fans might not.

I discovered this with my own Dell XPS when I bought a new board, intending to keep the 3Ghz processor I already have - which is compatible with the new board - because I wanted more than the 2 Ghz max memory the current board allows so I can play the latest X-series space game.

bert8for3
12-19-08, 03:48 PM
I agree with She-Wolf. The best upgrade you can probably do is RAM, if the board will let you put on more RAM, or a graphics card. But beware imho that even an upgraded graphics card, even though it will improve things for sure, will not perform as well by itself if the system at large is short on RAM.

Spike88
12-21-08, 11:32 PM
I agree with She-Wolf. The best upgrade you can probably do is RAM, if the board will let you put on more RAM, or a graphics card. But beware imho that even an upgraded graphics card, even though it will improve things for sure, will not perform as well by itself if the system at large is short on RAM.

I was planning on putting ram since its the cheapiest, and its a Vista with only 1 gig ram.

My gaming goal is to play SH4 with medium to high graphics.

Task Force
12-21-08, 11:43 PM
what video card do you have now?:-?

bert8for3
12-22-08, 06:15 AM

I was planning on putting ram since its the cheapiest, and its a Vista with only 1 gig ram.

My gaming goal is to play SH4 with medium to high graphics.

Check the manual that came with it, or if you don't have it anymore, check Dell's website for the comp model#, for the max RAM you can put in.

She-Wolf
12-22-08, 09:56 AM
Crucial are very good for RAM, they have a tool to allow you to put the make and model in and then they will show you only that RAM which is specific to your model. I use them a lot, for my own machines, including Dell, and also for other folks. They are fast and a reasonable price and helpful if you do ever hit a problem.

Wolfehunter
12-22-08, 04:45 PM
OEM machines like Dell are not always easily hardware upgradable, apart from memory and graphics, as they can be customized to that makers specs, so you need to check that whatever you want to fit in there actually WILL fit. Standard form factor boards and or processors with their correct heatsinks and fans might not.

I discovered this with my own Dell XPS when I bought a new board, intending to keep the 3Ghz processor I already have - which is compatible with the new board - because I wanted more than the 2 Ghz max memory the current board allows so I can play the latest X-series space game.Thats the gamble She-wolf.

I have a Dell XPS 730. The motherboard is an oem n Force 790i. So Dells memory limit is 4 gigs. But Nvidia's version is 8gigs so in theory I should be able to max out 8gigs.

Right now I have Corsairs 1024megs X4 dual channels. What would happen if I put 4X 2048meg dual channel chips? Like I said in theory it should work. Unless the bios has been locked by dell?

If that is the case and the motherboard is limited then you should purchase a new board.

There is a company that rewrites bios's. I don't remember who does it. It was a few years ago I asked them to unlock a motherboard bios of mine. Its not free ofcourse and risky.

Third options is forcing different firmware into your board of a similar make.

Example of mine,

Nvidia's n Force 790i bios version forcing into my OEM board.

Could be dangerous if I screw up. I wouldn't do it now because of warranties but maybe down the road I might take that adventure. If I fail its a dead board. If it works then I have the same features as the Nvida's retail version.

I always like to explore new avenues.:up:

But I wouldn't suggest you do that. Buy a newer board would be safer.

Their are always options. Best is do some research and look at the different companies who offer MB. Check their forums and see which are having flaws or which are running smooth.

Your call dude. :up:

Just don't do what I do because I'm too crazy...:88) ;)

Happy hunting.

Hylander_1314
12-22-08, 09:02 PM
I have a Dell XPS 730. The motherboard is an oem n Force 790i. So Dells memory limit is 4 gigs. But Nvidia's version is 8gigs so in theory I should be able to max out 8gigs.

Right now I have Corsairs 1024megs X4 dual channels. What would happen if I put 4X 2048meg dual channel chips? Like I said in theory it should work. Unless the bios has been locked by dell?

If that is the case and the motherboard is limited then you should purchase a new board.

There is a company that rewrites bios's. I don't remember who does it. It was a few years ago I asked them to unlock a motherboard bios of mine. Its not free ofcourse and risky.

Third options is forcing different firmware into your board of a similar make.

Example of mine,

Nvidia's n Force 790i bios version forcing into my OEM board.

Could be dangerous if I screw up. I wouldn't do it now because of warranties but maybe down the road I might take that adventure. If I fail its a dead board. If it works then I have the same features as the Nvida's retail version.

I always like to explore new avenues.:up:

But I wouldn't suggest you do that. Buy a newer board would be safer.

Their are always options. Best is do some research and look at the different companies who offer MB. Check their forums and see which are having flaws or which are running smooth.

Your call dude. :up:

Just don't do what I do because I'm too crazy...:88) ;)

Happy hunting.

Instead of buying a factory built rig, just buy the parts and put together what you want to have. It isn't that difficult like it was 10+ years ago. It's pretty much follow the destructions, and plug it all in, and fire it up.

Spike88
01-03-09, 01:48 AM
Okay I got it.
Ram: 5.5 GB
Processor: AMD Sempron 1.8ghz
Graphics: Intregrated Nvidia

The graphics slot is a PCI express 16.

zinosumatra
01-03-09, 02:50 AM
I am running an Intel 3.0 Mhz Duo Core w/ 2 GB of RAM and a nVidia 8600 (512 MB) graphics card and am able to run the software at full capacity w/ gfx mods. As mentioned, the choke point is RAM, seconded by the graphics card. Your CPU is beyond adequte. Good news is that you're only $100 USD from utopian processing power! Sell a pint of plasma and get to gaming.

AVGWarhawk
01-03-09, 07:20 AM
Okay I got it.
Ram: 5.5 GB
Processor: AMD Sempron 1.8ghz
Graphics: Intregrated Nvidia

The graphics slot is a PCI express 16.

Obviously you need a videocard. Good news is you have the PCI Express. You have plenty of RAM. Processor is a bit slow but not a killer. Personally, I would get a new videocard and definitely look into a new power supply to run the card. A member advised to look at Tigerdirect.com. Good advise. Look at the vidcards. At the bottom of each webpage for each card shows what the card requires to run as far as amps. When you find a vidcard you like, look at the amps required to run it and then select a power supply.

CaptainHaplo
01-03-09, 10:30 AM
WolfeHunter,

If you have a specific board with the Bios limited due to Dell wonking with stuff, just go to the MB manufacturer and flash the Bios back to stock. This will allow you to get back to the 8G max.

Spike88
01-03-09, 09:33 PM
Okay, I just purchased a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ which is about 3.1ghz.

I have a 280Watt Power supply, and I need a low profile card. Anyone have suggestions for low profile cards? I'm going to upgrade the power supply too.

I'm thinking of this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814145153

and then I need to find the dimensions of my power supply.