PDA

View Full Version : New Royal Navy Carriers Delayed.

mr chris
12-11-08, 01:30 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7777723.stm

I wonder how many more delays this project will have?
I still think the MOD where being very optimistic with there original target of 2014 ,2016.

XabbaRus
12-11-08, 04:15 PM
Better to be delayed than cancelled. They are still working on them. Steel has been cut just fit out will be extended. In some ways since the JSF is late there would be nothing to fly from them as the RAF is trying to can the joint harrier force.

mr chris
12-11-08, 04:25 PM
Very true would be pointless having two massive carriers with nothing to fly off them.

bookworm_020
12-11-08, 04:43 PM
Very true would be pointless having two massive carriers with nothing to fly off them.

Maybe they could fly a kite???:hmm:

At least they will be built, and they will give the RN alot more flexability when they deploy them.:yep:

mr chris
12-11-08, 04:46 PM

At least they will be built, and they will give the RN alot more flexability when they deploy them.:yep:

It will give us a better strike ability and more maneuverability.

That is two of the reasons the US government is so eager for us to have them.

AntEater
12-11-08, 05:30 PM
Official Interview regarding the carriers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u92SknpqJc)

JALU3
12-11-08, 08:25 PM
Poor RN, a shadow of its former self. I guess when you don't have far flung colonies to patrol around one doesn't need the size, but still ... they're already paying off the Type 23s! :nope:

XabbaRus
12-12-08, 03:30 AM
Actually I was looking at the current numbers for the RN and I don't think they are as bad as made out in the press.

Jimbuna
12-12-08, 04:09 PM
I think we were down to 80/82 in number last year (and that included the small fry)....but I wonder just how many are at sea or in a good state of readiness at any given time :hmm:

lesrae
12-13-08, 01:06 AM
I think Jimbuna's about right, at present I reckon we have a total of 64 warships of MCMV size and above (including those in mothballs but genuinely able to be re-activated):

3 Carriers
8 Type 42 Destroyers
4 Type 22 Frigates
13 Type 23 Frigates
3 Assault Ships
8 Trafalgar SSNs
1 Swiftsure SSNs
4 Vanguard SSBNs
4 River Class Patrol Vessels
8 Hunt MCMVs
8 Sandown MCMVs

There are also the 16 essential RFAs:

4 Bay Class Landing Ships
4 Fort Class Replenishment Ships
2 Wave Class Fast Fleet Tankers
2 Leaf Class Support Tankers
2 Rover Class Small Fleet Tankers
1 Forward Support Ship
1 Aviation Training/Casualty Reception Ship

XabbaRus
12-13-08, 05:00 AM
Still better than other euro navies.

Jimbuna
12-13-08, 05:46 AM
But how many of our European counterparts have the same level of responsibility or committments :hmm:

AntEater
12-13-08, 07:55 AM
This list is rather optimistic:
One Invincible class is always in reserve.
Also, ever since the retirement of the Sea Harrier, I suppose you cannot consider the Invincibles as effective as before.
They're not able to put up a credible air defense.
The single spanish and italian VTOL carriers have Radar equipped AMRAAM capable Harriers, but the british Harriers are limited to visual air to air.
The Type 42 destroyers have basically no AAW capacity left as the Sea Dart missile is on its way out, AFAIK the missiles have reached the end of their shelf lives.
Right now HMS Daring is the only AAW unit of the RN.
The 23s are great ships, though, as are the 22s.
Re the SSNs, HMS Sceptre is not operational and most likely will never be again.
The Trafalgars have had their problems recently, I wonder wether this is due to slackening of standards or simply because the USN keeps a tighter secrecy regarding such "minor" incidents.
All european navies have their problems, so I wouldn't be surprised if the french, italian and spanish navies will start decommissioning ships soon.

Jimbuna
12-13-08, 12:58 PM
Ah well....only one thing for it then :lol:

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/5899/bailinganimwf3.gif (http://imageshack.us)