PDA

View Full Version : Bombers

JALU3
12-09-08, 10:58 PM
So a random thought.

Do long range bombers, which are now fewer and far between, have restroom facilities for their crews? Especially given long flight times to the target.

Would UAVs be a good idea for the roll? With communication jamming, and hacking a definate possibilty against an organized first or second world opponent, would not having an actual aircrew a wise decision?

fatty
12-09-08, 11:13 PM
I know for certain that the B-2s do. Can't find anything regarding B-52s, though their combat radius is significantly smaller so I guess it makes sense if they don't.

Raptor1
12-10-08, 12:07 AM
The B-52 is bigger than the B-2, and it still has pretty long range (Never knew the B-2's was longer though), so I would assume the B-52 has as well

SandyCaesar
12-10-08, 12:20 AM
I'd read in Tom Clancy's Fighter Wing that B-1B's, at least, have toilet seats; -52s and -2s, probably as well.

Now the poor guys in the fast-movers, they get a glorified diaper with a tube leading out of it...:doh:

magic452
12-10-08, 12:53 AM
P3 Orions do. There was a big flap over the $ 500.00 toilet seats a few years back.
Seems like Lockheed didn't make enough spares. Had to re tool to make replacements.
Must be too many fat a$$ pilots up there. :hmm: :p

JALU3
12-10-08, 01:40 AM
Well the P3 makes sence they are modified Electra Passanger aircraft.

I imagine that the P-8s will have a commercial set up as well, which I am sure must be pretty swell.

Besides the radar signature, it's to bad you can't modify a passanger aircraft into some kind of bomb truck.

Another random, hallarious, and pointless thought. Stealth passanger aircraft! Which would NEVER happen, or at least I hope not. Unless you have sometype of crazy super rich CEO who wanted a private one.

Tchocky
12-10-08, 03:27 AM
As far as I can remember the early model B-52s don't have anything, whereas the later models and the B-1 do.

Letum
12-10-08, 10:04 AM
Even some fighter jets have urination tubes.

AntEater
12-10-08, 10:17 AM
I think B-52s don't have anything installed. Maybe today crews carry along camping style toilets, though,
B-1Bs have a chemical toilet, as do Tu-160s.
Bears are spacious enough for normal lavatories, I think.
The Su-34 has a toilet as well.
MPAs usually are quite well equipped. The only one I was ever in, a Breguet Atlantic, had bunks, a small galley and an airliner style restroom.
But MPAs can operate almost a day.

In WW2, I know the Bristol Blenheim had urinal tubes, but I don't know about any others.
I read about He 111 crewmembers taking a leak out of the belly gunner hatch, but that was certainly impossible in the Ju 88 (hatch opened outward).
On the other hand, taking a leak on the bomber's tail before takeoff was a good luck ritual with german bomber crews...

bookworm_020
12-10-08, 04:33 PM
On the other hand, taking a leak on the bomber's tail before takeoff was a good luck ritual with german bomber crews...

And a great way to rust out the control cables!

AntEater
12-10-08, 04:56 PM
Even if they were not shot down, no WW2 plane lasted long enough for rust to be a problem....
Also, control cables are inside the fuselage, as long as you dont piss acid, you shouldn't be able to reach the control cables of a Ju 88 with it.
:rotfl:

MR. Wood
12-10-08, 08:34 PM
the B-52 do have a small toliet but you bag your stuff same in the bone and the beak:up: and the b-52 has a small bunk in it as most air force big planes.

Hylander_1314
12-11-08, 12:37 AM
Even the WWII bombers had facilities for the crew. Although with interior temps below -20, it would have been a chilling experience.

FIREWALL
12-11-08, 02:47 AM
:roll:

kurtz
12-11-08, 03:21 PM
In flight 607(607), the bombing of stanley airport in the falklands, it mentions (in passing:D) that there are urine tubes but a chemical toilet had to be installed for the flight from ascension to the falklands and back. It isn't mentionned wherever it is used or not.

Oberon
12-11-08, 05:59 PM
A C-130 was en route on a mission when a cocky F-16 pilot flew up next to him.

The fighter jock told the C-130 pilot, "watch this!" He went into a Barrel roll, followed by a steep climb, then finished with a sonic boom when he
reached the speed of sound. The F-16 pilot asked the C-130 pilot what he thought.

The C-130 pilot responded "that was impressive, but watch this."

The C-130 droned along for about 15 minutes then the 130 pilot came
back on and said "What did you think about that?"

The 16 pilot asked, "what did you do?"

The C-130 pilot responded "I got up, stretched! my legs, went to the back poured a cup of coffee and took a piss." Any questions ??

:lol: :lol: :lol: