PDA

View Full Version : 75 Years since the end of Prohibition in the USA

lesrae
12-05-08, 12:01 PM
:()1: Today's the day to lift a glass guys :()1:

http://www.mlive.com/kalamabrew/index.ssf/2008/12/prohibition_overturned.html (http://www.mlive.com/kalamabrew/index.ssf/2008/12/prohibition_overturned.html)

UnderseaLcpl
12-05-08, 01:36 PM
Cheers!

Here's to failing to learn anything from the experience and the D.E.A.!

Sailor Steve
12-05-08, 02:35 PM
:rotfl:

While The Untouchables was a sucky movie as far as history goes, it was an okay flick taken on its own merits. I only mention it because I loved the last lines of the movie:

Reporter (thinking he'll get info on Ness's next job): "Mr. Ness, what are you going to do now that prohibition has ended?"

Eliot Ness: "I believe I'll have a drink."

Dowly
12-05-08, 02:46 PM
The Prohibition is one of those things I have to thank America, some darn good movies have come based on it! The Untouchables, Goodfellas, and of course, the game Mafia.

Kratos, where are ya! Fill what I didnt remember, my memory's abit fuzzy. :p

Enigma
12-05-08, 07:06 PM
Goodfella's...prohibition? Nah. Goodfella's was set in the 70's! :yep:

August
12-05-08, 07:47 PM
75 years and we're still feeling the damage it caused. Prohibition put the organized in Organized Crime. Without it they would never have evolved beyond the small time pimps and thieves they were before a multi-billion dollar market was tossed into their laps.

geetrue
12-05-08, 11:03 PM
The problems prohibition caused are still with us stealing, lying, cheating, bribes, greedy officials locally and nation wide. People of indifference, people looking the other way, people using something illegal from pills to dope.

People are the real problem in the end.

They tax the stuff you know ... it's called a sin tax :lol:

Dowly
12-06-08, 05:46 AM

Ah yes, I cant remember them darn names. :rotfl: Umm... Once upon a time in America? What's the one with them 5 starting as kids and the movie follows them all the way to them being adult gansters? Was that the Once upon time in america? Fooocking cant remember. :nope:

Kratos
12-06-08, 08:00 AM
Ah yes, I cant remember them darn names. :rotfl: Umm... Once upon a time in America? What's the one with them 5 starting as kids and the movie follows them all the way to them being adult gansters? Was that the Once upon time in america? Fooocking cant remember. :nope:

The prohibition might have done your memory some good ''if you were around then'' ;)
yea it was once upon a time in america ...Noodles, cockeye fat moe and the gang :up:

Onkel Neal
12-06-08, 10:17 AM
Funny, organized crime thrives even when this kind of vice is legal. (http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/12/06/amsterdam.cafes.brothels.close.ap/index.html)

One day, probably 400 years from now, man will advance enough where it is no longer socially acceptable to pickle one's brain with drugs. :cool:

UnderseaLcpl
12-06-08, 11:10 AM
Funny, organized crime thrives even when this kind of vice is legal. (http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/12/06/amsterdam.cafes.brothels.close.ap/index.html)

It is difficult to make that assertion. The following is a UN report on Criminal Victimization
http://rechten.uvt.nl/icvs/pdffiles/ICVS2004_05.pdf

There is little in it (exceptions include bicycle theft) to clearly indicate that the Netherlands is outside the mean in crime or violent crime, and it is worth noting that public perception of the likleyhood of a crime occurring to them is significantly lower than the average.

Of course, there are many other factors, and you may well be right, but it's a foreign country so it really doesn't bother me one way or the other.

U.S. Federal drug prohibition does bother me, however, if for no other reason than that the ennumerated powers given to the Federal government under the Constitution do not include prohibition of, or policing of, well, anything really.
As with many things, they began by working around the restriction with legislation like the Harrison Act, before eventually just washing their hands of the Constitution entirely with things like the war on drugs.

The States, of course, have no such restrictions and are free to prohibit or promote what they wish, and Washington has often used this as a workaround by authorizing block grants to states that pursue policies they wish to see implemented, which is also unconstitutional.

So, in principle, I have nothing against a prohibition of drugs by the appropriate agencies, even though I don't think it would, will, or ever has worked, other than that it is an erosion of personal liberties.

One day, probably 400 years from now, man will advance enough where it is no longer socially acceptable to pickle one's brain with drugs. :cool:

As long as it isn't a law, that's fine with me. Terrible waste of what would potentially be a multibillion-dollar industry, though:cry:

Dowly
12-06-08, 11:17 AM
The prohibition might have done your memory some good ''if you were around then'' ;)
yea it was once upon a time in america ...Noodles, cockeye fat moe and the gang :up:

Ah yes, need to watch the movie again tomorrow. Great it is. :up:

AntEater
12-06-08, 12:38 PM
Prohibition killed american beer.
Ever since these days, the average american regards beer flavored lemonade as beer.
Back in the 90s when there were still a lot of GIs in Frankfurt it was funny that a high school student like me could drink an entire infantry squad under the table.
They adapted, though...

August
12-06-08, 12:49 PM
Ever since these days, the average american regards beer flavored lemonade as beer.
Back in the 90s when there were still a lot of GIs in Frankfurt it was funny that a high school student like me could drink an entire infantry squad under the table.
They adapted, though...
Hey just because you Germans think that teen aged alcoholism is some sort of liver destroying badge of honor it doesn't mean that all our beer is like Budweiser or Coors. I'd stack up our micro brewed beer against German beer any day.

Besides, I've drank my share of German beer and i'm here to tell you it ain't all that great. Yeah it has a higher alcohol content but so does good old American Ever Clear, and English beer tends to be better tasting in my experience even if it is served piss warm like you people tend to favor.

Nothing but love for ya though... :up:

nikimcbee
12-06-08, 01:45 PM
75 years and we're still feeling the damage it caused. Prohibition put the organized in Organized Crime. Without it they would never have evolved beyond the small time pimps and thieves they were before a multi-billion dollar market was tossed into their laps.

Yeah, where would the Kennedys be w/o prohibition?:roll:

nikimcbee
12-06-08, 01:47 PM

Neal, I challenge you to a diet coke drinking contest! The winner gets the gato!:up:

August
12-06-08, 01:52 PM
Yeah, where would the Kennedys be w/o prohibition?:roll:
I talked to an old man awhile back who remembers young boys selling Joe Kennedys bootleg whiskey for a buck a shot at train stations all over Massachusetts.

All the Kennedys have had their political careers funded by organized crime.

Onkel Neal
12-06-08, 01:54 PM
Teddy?:o

August
12-06-08, 01:56 PM
Teddy?:o

Yeah, ironic isn't it? :D

joegrundman
12-07-08, 08:53 AM
They adapted, though...
Hey just because you Germans think that teen aged alcoholism is some sort of liver destroying badge of honor it doesn't mean that all our beer is like Budweiser or Coors. I'd stack up our micro brewed beer against German beer any day.

Besides, I've drank my share of German beer and i'm here to tell you it ain't all that great. Yeah it has a higher alcohol content but so does good old American Ever Clear, and English beer tends to be better tasting in my experience even if it is served piss warm like you people tend to favor.

Nothing but love for ya though... :up:

But in fact, British beer is not served warm, it is served at cellar temperature, which in summer is about 14 degrees and in winter about 10 degrees.

The "warm" beer part of the rumour may be a confusion with the warm fermentation process which contributes towards the characteristic brown colour and sweetish taste of british ales. This is distinct from the light coloured beer production of the Pilsener method, which uses a cold fermentation, and which has become the norm in most of the rest of the world.

Or maybe there was some other fashion for serving warmed beer once upon a time in the past.

But you are right in that British beer is the unsung hero of European beers. Many Europeans are very snobbish about it, but when I take my European friends on a tour of the ales, they are usually fully converted by the end of the night.

Although by the morning they frequently have forgotten.

Anyway, I'm in Japan and have just been preparing some homemade Mead for the New Year. In the absence of any homebrew equipment i've had to improvise it all!:D

Cheers!

August
12-07-08, 10:04 AM
But in fact, British beer is not served warm, it is served at cellar temperature, which in summer is about 14 degrees and in winter about 10 degrees.

The "warm" beer part of the rumour may be a confusion with the warm fermentation process which contributes towards the characteristic brown colour and sweetish taste of british ales. This is distinct from the light coloured beer production of the Pilsener method, which uses a cold fermentation, and which has become the norm in most of the rest of the world.

Or maybe there was some other fashion for serving warmed beer once upon a time in the past.

But you are right in that British beer is the unsung hero of European beers. Many Europeans are very snobbish about it, but when I take my European friends on a tour of the ales, they are usually fully converted by the end of the night.

Anyway, I'm in Japan and have just been preparing some homemade Mead for the New Year. In the absence of any homebrew equipment i've had to improvise it all!:D

Cheers!

I guess we just consider it warm because we normally drink our beer ice cold if we can get it. Mead is one drink i've never tried. Based on Honey iirc? It must be very sweet.

joegrundman
12-07-08, 10:27 AM

Cheers!
I guess we just consider it warm because we normally drink our beer ice cold if we can get it. Mead is one drink i've never tried. Based on Honey iirc? It must be very sweet.

i suppose compared to ice-cold it is warm, but all things are relative! In British weather when sitting outside, you don't want your drink to be too cold, even in summer!

Mead is made from honey, and one of the oldest drinks of them all. Usually nowadays it is quite sweet, and the batch i'm making now is intended to be of the sweet variety, but some forms of mead are not sweet. It all depends on how much of the sugar has been converted to alcohol at the end of the fermentation process.

You can then serve it warmed up slightly and it makes an excellent winter drink, similar in effect to Gluhwein, mulled beer or rum punch.

And in fact while making it, i was reflecting on the sheer ease of making it and wondered how on earth the prohibition people ever thought they could be successful when tasty alcoholic beverages are so easy to make!

All you need is honey, water and yeast.

I think prohibition can only work if you have convinced everyone on a personal level that you should not enjoy alcohol.

I think Armand Hammer also made his fortune in the prohibition with his "medicinal" Tincture of Ginger, which was moreorless ginger macerated in 100%alcohol. Yummy!

August
12-07-08, 10:46 AM
i suppose compared to ice-cold it is warm, but all things are relative! In British weather when sitting outside, you don't want your drink to be too cold, even in summer!

Mead is made from honey, and one of the oldest drinks of them all. Usually nowadays it is quite sweet, and the batch i'm making now is intended to be of the sweet variety, but some forms of mead are not sweet. It all depends on how much of the sugar has been converted to alcohol at the end of the fermentation process.

You can then serve it warmed up slightly and it makes an excellent winter drink, similar in effect to Gluhwein, mulled beer or rum punch.

And in fact while making it, i was reflecting on the sheer ease of making it and wondered how on earth the prohibition people ever thought they could be successful when tasty alcoholic beverages are so easy to make!

All you need is honey, water and yeast.

I think prohibition can only work if you have convinced everyone on a personal level that you should not enjoy alcohol.

I think Armand Hammer also made his fortune in the prohibition with his "medicinal" Tincture of Ginger, which was moreorless ginger macerated in 100%alcohol. Yummy!

Man that does sound tasty. I'm going to have to try making up a batch. Thanks Joe!

joegrundman
12-07-08, 11:08 AM
A fine decision, if I may say so!

here's a website to help you get started -

http://www.gotmead.com/

good luck!

August
12-07-08, 11:12 AM
A fine decision, if I may say so!

here's a website to help you get started -

http://www.gotmead.com/

good luck!

Bookmarked and thanks! :up:

sunvalleyslim
12-08-08, 07:33 PM
Lets raise 75 glasses of our favorite beverage to the end of prohibition.........Hey most of us weren't even around when it was...............:D

SandyCaesar
12-08-08, 07:56 PM
Ah, yes, if I remember the tale, which all SH4 vets should be familiar with...

24 May, 1944. On the 100th anniversary of the invention of the telegraph, USN units all over the Pacific received the cryptic radio message, What hath God wrought?

Widespread confusion. Onboard one particular sub (forgot which one as I don't have Silent Victory with me) the commander decided it must be one of three things:

1). Major national catastrophe.
2). Hitler was dead.
3). Technically a subset of 1).: PROHIBITION WAS BACK IN EFFECT!:eek:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

So here's to 75 years!
(never mind the fact that it'll be a few years more before I can take advantage of it...)