PDA

View Full Version : 1SQ

Linton
12-02-08, 03:30 PM
How is a nuclear missile launched from an ssbn?Listen to this radio programme too find out:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00fq2sy

Linton
12-03-08, 05:25 PM
Obviously no person can be bothered to comment.

Enigma
12-03-08, 05:36 PM
There are threads on this page with 2000 + responses; I don't think the problem is with us, the public....

Interesting link. Thanks.

Oberon
12-04-08, 08:55 AM
Look forward to listening to this, good find Linton! :up:

goldorak
12-04-08, 10:04 AM
Is there a podcast of this somewhere ?
I don't want to install realplayer just for this broadcast, and to be honest I don't even know if it would be accessibile from out the uk. :oops:

Oberon
12-04-08, 10:16 AM
Not sure goldorak, I don't think it is accessible from outside the UK, however if you're able to get BBC Radio 4 it's repeated at 17:00 GMT on the 7th December.

Just finished listening to it, great find Linton, thank you :up:

August
12-04-08, 03:42 PM
Obviously no person can be bothered to comment.

The op is entered at 03:30 and this one at 05:25. At those hours I couldn't be bothered to comment either.

Sailor Steve
12-04-08, 03:56 PM
I don't see why some people are offended by lack of comments. Some subjects just don't interest me, and to say "Read this. Not interested" is even more rude than not commenting at all. I started a thread that got more than 350 looks, and not one reply. I thought it was funny, rather than insulting. I look at every thread I can, and if I replied to all of them I'd still be the post king.:sunny:

Respenus
12-04-08, 04:46 PM
I thank you for this link.

It's really scare when you think of it. Particularly the end, with the click which signifies the end of the world. Hearing it make you realise that there are still nukes out there, ready to launch, even though the Cold war has been over for over a decade.

You can read about protocols and orders and that chain of command, yet until you hear people, who are sailing with world killers a couple of metres from their very being, that you realise how hard it must be for the person who has to press the button and the question of a PM going bananas, is quite sound indeed.

Linton
12-04-08, 09:25 PM
I thought that every subsimmer would know what 1SQ would mean and would be a lure.The BBC website allows programmes to be listened to anywhere in the world.
If you want to hear a simulated Trident launch from an RN submarine it really is worth listening to!

JALU3
12-07-08, 08:45 PM
Here is an example (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5588388288256218328&ei=-HM8SYmtBqfYqAO0_vCmDw&q=nuclear+launch+ssbn&hl=en) of a US SSBN doing the same.

Frame57
12-07-08, 11:15 PM
It is interesting. But the SSBN for me is not when it comes to submarines. Are they needed? Yes, but basically they are underwater misssile platforms. My detailer wanted to cut me order to the Abraham Lincoln. I told him that if he did I would not re-enlist and that at my exiting interview I would divulge the reasons. Fast Attacks get the missions that make it all worth while. SSBN duty? Go out for 90 days and make holes in the water and remain undetected...Yawn!

Iceman
12-08-08, 12:38 AM
I don't see why some people are offended by lack of comments. Some subjects just don't interest me, and to say "Read this. Not interested" is even more rude than not commenting at all. I started a thread that got more than 350 looks, and not one reply. I thought it was funny, rather than insulting. I look at every thread I can, and if I replied to all of them I'd still be the post king.:sunny::up: Well said

Sailor Steve
12-08-08, 07:06 PM
I thought that every subsimmer would know what 1SQ would mean and would be a lure.
Well, there's your problem (or mine). I had no clue what it was. But I looked anyway.:sunny: