PDA

View Full Version : Optical Drives Problem

FIREWALL
12-02-08, 12:19 PM
Both drives 1mo. old, both took a crap this morning. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I ticked "My Computer icon" and only shows HDD's . Nothing else.

I go to Control Panel, System, Device Manager and NaDa.

I went into Bios and same thing , NaDa.

Any thoughts on this ? All Appreciated. :yep:

She-Wolf
12-02-08, 03:34 PM
assuming you haven't knocked the case and unseated both drives from their connectors, if this is a laptop - it is probably a software issue.
You can try getting rid of the filters - that sometimes works

Click Start, then Run, then enter REGEDIT to open the Registry Editor
Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class entry
Under the Class entry, double click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
In the right-hand pane, click ONCE to select the UpperFilters entry
Make sure the UpperFilters entry is highlighted, press Delete, then Yes.
In the right-hand pane, click ONCE to select the LowerFilters entry
Make sure the LowerFilters entry is highlighted, press Delete, then Yes.
Close the Registry Editor by clicking File, Exit.

FIREWALL
12-02-08, 04:56 PM
assuming you haven't knocked the case and unseated both drives from their connectors, if this is a laptop - it is probably a software issue.
You can try getting rid of the filters - that sometimes works

Click Start, then Run, then enter REGEDIT to open the Registry Editor
Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class entry
Under the Class entry, double click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
In the right-hand pane, click ONCE to select the UpperFilters entry
Make sure the UpperFilters entry is highlighted, press Delete, then Yes.
In the right-hand pane, click ONCE to select the LowerFilters entry
Make sure the LowerFilters entry is highlighted, press Delete, then Yes.
Close the Registry Editor by clicking File, Exit.

Hi SHE-WOLF :sunny: All I did was shut it down last nite and booted this morning.

It's a desktop and worked excellent last nite. No one with the exception of GOD gets near this rig.

To give you an idea of the kinda rig I built I use this x 3 in Crossfire
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4147390&CatId=3669

No fix and am at this :damn: :D Something's weird here :hmm: I'm still open to idea's. :yep:

HELP !!! ;) :rotfl:

She-Wolf
12-02-08, 05:12 PM
so, did you do the registry tweak?

Here is the link to a CDR forum. Haven't tried 'em meself, but being an optical drive dedicated forum I should think they will have the answer - but try the filter thing first, it won't do any harm. :)

http://www.cdr-zone.com/forum/

CaptainHaplo
12-02-08, 06:43 PM
Doublecheck the physical connections. Are these IDE or SATA? Its odd they both died at the same time. If IDE are they on the same chain? If yes then makes me think the BIOS turned off the IDE controller or the controller crapped out as having 2 drives die at the exact same moment is highly unlikely. IDE MB's usually have 2 IDE channels - so move one or both drives to the alternate (even if your HD's are IDE this is a great test). If sata, most MB's will have multiple SATA controllers as only one drive can be on each. Verify in the BIOS that the controller isnt disabled.

Since you dealing with optical drives - hit the eject button - make sure they are getting power. Since they won't need to be recognized to eject or open for media you can verify the power connections. Again - if IDE I would look at this as often IDE devices are "daisy chained" on power and one bad connector can take out the device and everything after it.

If none of this works - its time to provide specific details - MB (your not overclocking are ya?), drive type (connection) - BIOS revision, etc.

Reece
12-02-08, 07:03 PM
I know this might be a horrid thought but I had an Asus mobo where the IDE drives died, turned out the HDD controller on the mobo died!:cry: I felt the chip and was red hot, the next board had the same chip, felt it and was very hot so I put a heat sink on it, that fixed it. Just thought I'd mention it though, you could try changing the drives to the secondary Ide controller, I assume you have SATA HDD's?:-?