PDA

View Full Version : Watch out WoW here comes American football MMO!

kiwi_2005
12-02-08, 10:41 AM
This might be old news, some guildies in WoW last night told me about an American Football MMO they play. As for me i dont know AF rules and would fail big time at it. Anyways heres the link.

Web-based American Football MMORPG (in beta stages)
http://goallineblitz.com/

Edit
Whoops thought i was in the gaming section of subsim!

OneToughHerring
12-02-08, 11:44 AM
Wasn't there also a Speed Ball 2 - inspired MMO based on the Half-Life 2 engine?

Yes.

SteamWake
12-02-08, 11:45 AM
First off... he plays WoW ... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Secondly I dont see this football thing really taking off, seems ripe for cheats and hacks.

It will be right up there with world of peacecraft http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/10/24/quakers-set-launch-world-peacecraft

August
12-02-08, 10:06 PM
Virtual football sounds like a really interesting concept. 22 online players each controlling a single character on the field would be some awesome computer gaming.

Blacklight
12-02-08, 10:57 PM
We used to play a sport called "Bagball" on Ultima Online and it became so popular that teams sprung up all over and the devs in one of the addons even gave us a regulation stadium for it complete with a large set of bleachers for spectators !

UnderseaLcpl
12-02-08, 11:09 PM
First off... he plays WoW ... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

What's wrong with WoW? :-? I enjoyed playing it for about 3 months before I realized that the amount of character development and gear tweaking was just too much for my taste. Still, I can see that the game has a lot of value for people who enjoy the WoW universe. I myself spent an inordinate amount of time mastering my opponents in WC3, which was the RTS precursor to the series.

August also has a good point. I've always enjoyed playing football, f not watching it.

Still, there is always the potential for hackers and griefers, and the best solution I've seen yet was in Battlefield 2142. The decision to ban was made by various means, determined by the player's server. Servers with loose regulations quickly became unpopulated while good servers had waiting lists. Punkbuster helped thin out the number of hackers, and team voting took care of the rest.

Perhaps a player blacklist would help in a low-scoring game like football?

August
12-02-08, 11:17 PM
The potential for hacking and griefing can be minimized if not completely eliminated by keeping all the important functions on the server side.

That probably means a monthly subscriber fee though...

nikimcbee
12-02-08, 11:40 PM
That probably means a monthly subscriber fee though...

bingo:up:

kiwi_2005
12-03-08, 09:50 AM
[quote=SteamWake]First off... he plays WoW ... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

/quote]

Yep i play WoW and damn proud of it :smug:. No point in explaining the greatness of this game as you probably just wouldn't getit. I have two lifes this one im living which is boring most times and WoW where im a Professional Engineer, Marksman, Explorer, Miner, officer of our Guild, Melee fighter and beast mastery to name just a few. Oh plus i have more money (gold) in the wowbank than i do in real life.

Gwad dammit my vertual life is many times better than my real one!!! :yep: :)

Thomen
12-03-08, 09:51 AM
Virtual football sounds like a really interesting concept. 22 online players each controlling a single character on the field would be some awesome computer gaming.

And everyone wants to be the QB, I guess.. :down:

I would opt to be the owner and bet against my team in a case like that. :up:

August
12-03-08, 10:03 AM

Oh heck no. Personally I'd want to be a defensive back so I get a chance to nail somebody, but any position would be equally fun as long as the team was made up of real people and not AI.

SteamWake
12-03-08, 10:04 AM
Im not really knocking folks for playing WoW after all it is the most popular MMO around.

Its just not not for me for any number of reasons. Play WoW have fun say hi to the kids for me ;)

Thomen
12-03-08, 10:21 AM
Im not really knocking folks for playing WoW after all it is the most popular MMO around.

Its just not not for me for any number of reasons. Play WoW have fun say hi to the kids for me ;)

It's the same in any game, really. Over the time I had more problems and conflicts with the so called adult audience in those games than I had with those supposed bad kids.

If you want to hear some serious smack, play EVE. ;)

Raptor1
12-03-08, 11:07 AM

It's the same in any game, really. Over the time I had more problems and conflicts with the so called adult audience in those games than I had with those supposed bad kids.

Never had any problems with the people in EVE, then again, I stopped playing a few months ago

kiwi_2005
12-03-08, 11:32 AM

:yep: In Wow like any other mmo just group up with adults and stick with them. Let the kids spam their chat with mom jokes while the rest of us take the game too seriously.:)

Blacklight
12-03-08, 07:35 PM
In City of Heroes, we play a hocky style game with a portable canon on a rooftop that can be kicked and slid around. While not as many teams are out there as the Bagball players of Ultima Online, there are still a decent number of teams that participate in it.

TheBrauerHour
12-03-08, 10:14 PM

Put me on the line, bro. Time to get nasty in the trench's

longam
12-04-08, 09:47 PM
My daughter played WoW and before that Habbo and I really started to see the whole keep you coming back MMO strategy when I tried EVE myself. I don't think I want to be a toby for this or that person over and over to level up.....:lol: it realy became redundant real fast.