PDA

View Full Version : This boar was atheist, no doubt!

Skybird
11-28-08, 06:54 AM
And now he is dead - should that tell me something? :lol:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,593287,00.html

I know from Berlin that in parts of the city, especially the former american quarters that are in close vicinity of the huge forest areas around the Schlachtensee, boars coming into the human settlements and searching wastebins for food have become a huge problem, by numbers and also because they have lost their natural shyness towards humans.

In the mid-80s, when I was actively engaged with photography, one day I was carefully sneaking around in an area at the Havel and Wannsee, very early in the morning, dense thickets it was, with camera equipment on the ready. Originally I was looking for swans that assembled there in huge numbers (dozens and dozens, that's why a beach close by is called "Schwanenwerder"), but then stumbled over a wild sow with her cubs (?) - and she really did not like the encounter and started to go after me. I had to let go my photobag, and ran - probably a new personal time record. An hour latr i coiuld return and pick up my equipment, which obviously had been examined by aliens, but survived the procedure unharmed. Well, although at 18 or 19 you do not think that much about stupid things you do (like climbing into a thicket were you suspect a wild boar...), back then (mid-80s) the problem still was not that big like it is today. When I visited my parents in Berlin in later years, and we walked in the Grunewald, we practically met wild boars and wild sows every time, and sometimes they passed us in just some meters distance, like dogs would do it, and did nothing. But many people would almost panic then, also these animals are very intelligent, and very curious, they started to actively seek the closeness to humans in order to examine the new surrounding, and to find food. And thehn there are those dumbheads who even feed them, like they feed ducks. This together with humans acting unreasonable, and maybe little kids envolved, of course always holds the potential for critical conflict. And if you do not have a weapon, there is little you can do to fight off an angry wild boar that is going after you.

Fascinating animals, I like them - but not in my garden, and in groups of a dozen.

Letum
11-28-08, 07:09 AM
...but then stumbled over a wild sow with her cubs (?)
Individually they are 'piglets', but many piglets together is a 'litter'.
The piglets and the sow together are a 'sounder'.

Quite a few boar in the UK now. Enough to raise the same questions.

Skybird
11-28-08, 07:15 AM

Reminds me of trying to explain cricket rules. :lol:

Dowly
11-28-08, 07:16 AM
Reminds me of trying to explain cricket rules. :lol:

:rotfl:

AntEater
11-28-08, 08:29 AM
Lol, in german, boars are called "wild pigs" (Wildschweine), but the terms for females and offspring are different.
Domestic pigs are "Sau" (Sow) and "Ferkel"
Boars are "Bache" (female) and "Frischlinge" (piglets, litterally "freshlings")
"Eber" is the same for both kinds of male pigs, but a large male boar is called a "Keiler".
A group of adult boars is a "Rotte".

That's about my hunter's latin

But if you live close to forrests in Frankfurt, you can expect to run into boars.
Best course of action is to ignore them, they're usually quite shy.
The whole incident took place in Schwanheim, which is close to the city forrest and a natural preserve called the Schwanheim dunes.
Essentially suburbia stuck between the forrest, the dunes and a waste processing plant ;)
A few km further west, in Rüsselsheim, a whole Rotte of about 6 rampaged across "downtown" (not really) Rüsselsheim until police cornered them in a parking lot.
What followed was an exercise in being german:
Police called hunters. Hunters refused to hunt boars because their hunting permit only allows them to hunt in the wild, but not in forrests.
Police agrees. Hunters want to give the police their hunting rifles, but police refuses on the ground that they are only permitted to use the weapons prescriped in Hesse state police law, which do not include hunting rifles. Sniper rifles are allowed but a SEK (SWAT) team is not on hand.
Hunters go away, Police break out the MP5s.
150 rounds of auto fire later, all 6 boars are dead and some dozen cars have new holes in them.
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Skybird
11-28-08, 08:32 AM
Good story, good laugh - but honest - is it true? I mean the part on using MPs and damaging cars?

AntEater
11-28-08, 08:51 AM
Yes
Happened this summer in Rüsselsheim.

Skybird
11-28-08, 09:17 AM
http://www.stern.de/panorama/:Wildschweine-Der-Blutsonntag-R%FCsselsheim/640638.html
http://www.wiesbadener-kurier.de/politik/objekt.php3?artikel_id=3454831

True story, but told a bit different. Still, a good laugh! :up:

Letum
11-28-08, 11:12 AM
Ahh yes, I remember the MP5 incident.

OneToughHerring
11-28-08, 01:13 PM
150 rounds of auto fire later, all 6 boars are dead and some dozen cars have new holes in them.
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Didn't they have sidearms? Sheesh, machinegunning boars and hitting cars, good thing not the gas tank.

Skybird
11-28-08, 01:19 PM
Sssssh - hate to spoil a good laugh, really, but he has exaggerated a bit. By the news I linked, they fired 100 rounds with their pistols. The backwindow in one car was damaged, and three projectiles ended in a housewall.

The part on hunters rejecting to kill the animals for legal reasons all in all is true.

"Dozens of cars", AntEater, really...! :D Still a good story!

SUBMAN1
11-29-08, 01:56 AM
In other news, Skybird was caught on video practicing his superior Samurai moves on a chicken:

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7516/thchickengv61ck0.gif

Yawn.

-S

AntEater
11-29-08, 05:44 AM
100 rounds with sidearms is a bit much, while 100+ rounds with SMGs is just three or four magazines.
From what I heard in local radio news, they used one or serveral MP5s.
Radio reports back then talked about "automatic weapons" being used.
German police still has them on every station.
Sometimes even one in every police car, but maybe that was serveral years ago.

Koondawg
11-29-08, 06:56 AM
In other news, Skybird was caught on video practicing his superior Samurai moves on a chicken

Those samuri moves may have hypnotized you from being so fast...but that chicken...is a Rooster :yep:

KD

kurtz
11-29-08, 07:41 AM
Referencing the thread title: Boars were sacred to the Germanic (in the wider sense) god Frey, so even better than atheist!

SUBMAN1
11-30-08, 12:08 AM
In other news, Skybird was caught on video practicing his superior Samurai moves on a chicken
Those samuri moves may have hypnotized you from being so fast...but that chicken...is a Rooster :yep:

KD :rotfl:

-S

Hylander_1314
11-30-08, 09:48 AM
Man that sucker was huge! I wish we had them out west here. I could feed of one of them for a month! Not bad for the cost of 30-06 round. And some time to dress it out and butcher it. Sure would save some money that way.