PDA

View Full Version : Save game corrupted - and loving it!

Andrimner
11-26-08, 05:47 PM
I recently discovered that it is no longer possible to save my game while in patrol. Well, to be fair, it's still possible to SAVE the game, but anytime I try to load, the game will CTD. This happens on different saves on the same patrol, and on different patrols as well, even after a reboot. (Recently installed GWX, although I have no idea whether or not that has anything to do with it)

Obviously, I was pretty frustrated, not only because I had to start my patrol all over, but because there seems to be no way to fix this for the rest of my career....so the days of saving my game are definitely over.

Then, as I decided to embark on my patrol all over again, I pretty soon discovered that I was in fact enjoying the game MORE with the possibility of saving taken away! Everything took more delibiration, as I knew there would be no way back as soon as I was commited. I even get the chills from hearing the creaking at 220 metres depth, even though I know I should be safe - knowing I'll have to start the entire patrol over again if I snuff it definitely has sharpened the experience for me!

Sailor Steve
11-26-08, 05:49 PM
Yeah, that will add some excitement. I hate it though, as I usually take several days to complete a patrol.

Kapt Z
11-26-08, 08:30 PM
Yeah, that will add some excitement. I hate it though, as I usually take several days to complete a patrol.

I hate it as well. My machine is for family use so I risk losing the game while I am not around. I don't get CTDs but do get graphics gremlins.

Someday when I retire this machine I will keep it in the basement and just leave SHIII running indefinately.

For me it can take more than a week to finish a patrol. Especially to the South Atlantic or US. I only get a hour or so a couple times a week to play anyway.

BasilY
11-26-08, 10:49 PM
I play on my laptop. So I can keep my game running while the laptop sleeps. But sometimes the game will crash after the laptop awake from its hibernation...

IanC
11-27-08, 12:02 AM
I recently discovered that it is no longer possible to save my game while in patrol. Well, to be fair, it's still possible to SAVE the game, but anytime I try to load, the game will CTD. This happens on different saves on the same patrol, and on different patrols as well, even after a reboot. (Recently installed GWX, although I have no idea whether or not that has anything to do with it)

Obviously, I was pretty frustrated, not only because I had to start my patrol all over, but because there seems to be no way to fix this for the rest of my career....so the days of saving my game are definitely over.

Then, as I decided to embark on my patrol all over again, I pretty soon discovered that I was in fact enjoying the game MORE with the possibility of saving taken away! Everything took more delibiration, as I knew there would be no way back as soon as I was commited. I even get the chills from hearing the creaking at 220 metres depth, even though I know I should be safe - knowing I'll have to start the entire patrol over again if I snuff it definitely has sharpened the experience for me!

Wow and I thought I was a 'glass is half full' type of guy! :D
I admire your attitude, but personaly, if I couldn't save my patrol I would probably quit playing the game (and possibly throw the dvd out the window).
SHIII is notorious for its save game problems. But you should still be able to save if no other ships are near you. Keep searching for the solution. :hmm:

msalama
11-27-08, 02:45 PM
Hmmm...

Well the only thing I'm positive of is to be wary of mods that change the AI weapon loadouts, and possibly those that modify the campaign layer (i.e. either manually or automatically created AI groups and units) somehow. I recently disabled a mod that changed the ASW unit loadouts, and _ALL_ - and I mean all - my savegame crashes are gone now. I can even load those saves where the coastline is clearly visible and there's other traffic there too now!

Strange but true, I know. But I'm not complaining :ping:

Wreford-Brown
11-27-08, 05:04 PM
Someone has said that the number of savegame loading problems can be dramatically reduced by deleting most of your old savegames from the My Documents/SH3/data/cfg/careers folders. I regularly delete all but the last three patrols from my savegame folder manually - I back them up to a separate folder so if I need them I can just put them back.

If you try this, BE REALLY CAREFUL TO BACKUP. I'd hate for you to lose that Sept 1943 DiD career that you've been working on for the last couple of years!

Andrimner
12-03-08, 03:59 PM
Someone has said that the number of savegame loading problems can be dramatically reduced by deleting most of your old savegames from the My Documents/SH3/data/cfg/careers folders. I regularly delete all but the last three patrols from my savegame folder manually - I back them up to a separate folder so if I need them I can just put them back.

If you try this, BE REALLY CAREFUL TO BACKUP. I'd hate for you to lose that Sept 1943 DiD career that you've been working on for the last couple of years!

Thanks! I'll give it a go!

I saw someone else on another thread mentioning that deleting tha SH3-folder in My Documents, and then allowing the program to reproduce this folder could work. Could it be an option to back up my most recent saves, deleting the folder, and then pasting the most recent saves(The ones IN PORT :D) into the new folder...?

ppk
12-03-08, 04:37 PM
I have the exact same problem...

Here's what I do: you can still save if you are well off the coast and there is absolutely nothing around you. Go to PD, listen for 2-3 minutes, and then save. Accelerate time to a couple hours and if nothing shows up, save again. This way there's a pretty good chance that at least one of the two won't CTD...

Wreford-Brown
12-03-08, 06:13 PM
Let us know if it works.

Andrimner
12-06-08, 07:07 PM
Found a workaround after an extensive search on these forums. It turns out that if I first save by the "save game" option, then (without returning to the game) choose "save and exit" and save by a different name, the FIRST save will not be corrupted.

Kpt. Lehmann
12-06-08, 07:51 PM
Save game corruptions are often caused by applying mods mid-patrol... or by employing conflicting/incompatible mods.

Just a word of friendly advice... Never attempt to add/remove new mods until you are back in port.;)

Andrimner
12-07-08, 06:08 AM
Save game corruptions are often caused by applying mods mid-patrol... or by employing conflicting/incompatible mods.

Just a word of friendly advice... Never attempt to add/remove new mods until you are back in port.;)

All I'm running is GWX 2.1 w/16K, and I applied that over a clean install on a new computer before leaving port even once...