PDA

View Full Version : Need some training for U-Boat add on

Sub Sailor
11-24-08, 10:00 AM
I downloaded U-Boat missions from filefront, I have it installed and seems to be working fine.
Now I have some question-can install TMO to this mod and what will change if I do so? When I installed TMO on SH4 patched to 1.4 I had a completely different splash screen.
Also with U-Boat mod I do not have the two blocks that indicated range on fuel and distance to end of track. I do have the time to end of track. I don't know what special ability button is for.
In short where can I read what all the changes and what if any things do I have to do to play this mod. I do not play the U-Boats, I prefer US Fleet Boats, nothing against the U-Boats, just my personal preference.
I just got started but this modification seems to be very good and I do like many of the view changes. It indicates a lot of hard work.
I do not play on line, again just my preference. I would be interested in finding new missions, and once I learn I would like to build some as I did for SC and DW.

Thank you for any help or direction you can provide,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret)

Soundman
11-24-08, 03:04 PM
Not sure if I completly understand your question, but I'll try to answer you best I can.

If your question is can you install TMO using patch 1.5, yes you can, but make sure you download the 1.5 version of TMO. Ducimus still offers a 1.4 version, but no longer supports it. So, DO NOT use TMO 1.4 on top of the U-Boat 1.5 patch. I also am not interested in the German boats, but the version also enhances the U.S. Fleetboats, so you made the right decision there. Go here to read about the TMO versions http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=132330

Sub Sailor
11-24-08, 06:08 PM
Soundman;
When I had TMO installed on the stock SH4 patched to 1.4 my main screen indicated TMO, now the only indication I see and I believe it is for TMO is in the lower right corner is 1.5.
The setup I had was a nomo graph on the Nav Map. not there now. Many of my keys were changed before but now it seems the keys work according to the Key Commands.
On the Nav Map were two boxes How many miles I could travel at a speed"let's say Standard bell" don't have it now, also there was a box that gave how many miles I had to end of track-not now.
I have no idea what the box for Captain's abilities is for. There is now a pencil that is for the nearest support ship, no idea what it is for. The rest of the tools are the same.
The crew panel is really different-now there is a limit on how many officers, chief's are in this group, and petty officers.
In short where can I go to read all the changes that the U-Boat add on and TMO 1.5 has made?

Thanks for you help,

Soundman
11-25-08, 01:53 PM
I think you should re-check your install. I'm using the 1.5 patch with TMO and I do have the TMO splashscreen you are speaking of. This leads me to ask...Are you using "JGSME" for the installation of your mods ? If so, did you remove the mods before patching to 1.5? I have a hunch that you installed 1.5 over the top of TMO. I also say this because of the key changes and the nomograph disappearing. They should not have changed. Another clue..TMO uses the key commands that SH3 used and (I believe) when you installed patch 1.5 on top of TMO, it went back to the original key commands.

So.. you should probably do a complete reinstall from scratch, then patch to 1.5, then install the TMO mod (make sure you use the correct TMO version) Here's the link to the proper version "Trigger Maru Overhauled V 152.7z " .... This is the version you need to use with the 1.5 patch. http://hosted.filefront.com/Ducimus554/ It's important to do the installation in the order I descibed. If you have TMO installed correctly, you should see the "TMO Overhauled" screen showing a black and white picture of a sub as the game loads. BTW, While you are re-installing, might I suggest trying out one of the graphics mods. I just put in the "Enviromental 5.0" mod. :up: Man, will you be impressed with how the game looks. It's stunning work. :o

Hope this helps.

Sub Sailor
11-25-08, 04:05 PM
I will do as you suggest but I did, a complete new install and the last thing I tried to install was TMO.

Ron

Sub Sailor
11-25-08, 07:16 PM
I unloaded everything and started from scratch;
1. Loaded SH4 Checked and it was fine
2. Patched SH4 with 1.4, checked and that is what splash screen says I had
3. Loaded U-Boat Mission mod, checked it and I have it and it works splash screen indicates 1.5.
So now I should load TMO v152.7z correct? You asked about if I was using JGSME, no I am using winRandR as that is what is called for.
I am sure that is what I did before, is there a setup step after I have installed TMO 152.7z? I no that there was 2 folders Data and Support. So am I missing a step? If I can get this going again I will try your mod. I did check the setup after each install using the sub school scenarios and they worked fine. I AM HOLDING OFF INSTALLING 152.7z UNTIL I HEAR FROM YOU. I can't express how much I appreciate your efforts.

Thank you,

Sub Sailor
11-25-08, 07:27 PM
Soundman;
Could you direct me to a site where I could get the SH3 Keyboard Commands? I don't have SH3 and really don't want to buy it. I have SH1 and SH2, and run SH1 on an older machine. But I really like SH4 and I was and still am an SCXIIc and 688i fan. Don even have SH2 installed, I am just not a U-Boat fan.

Thank you,

Soundman
11-25-08, 08:40 PM
Hi again Ron,

OK. Sounds like your on the right track....but, I need to suggest something. RAR or some kind of zip extractor is needed to uzip or uncompress files. You do need to do that, as all the files you find here will be zipped in some kind of format. Sounds like your ok there....BUT, I think a lot of your problem may stem from correct (or incorrect) installation of the mods. It is not a must, but I stongly suggest you check out this thread.. http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=123908 This is for JSGME...A great utility to install and uninstall mods with ease, very reliably and quickly. Trust me here, you won't regret it. Most everyone here uses it. It WILL take a little patience and getting used to, just read the directions carefully, and before you know it, you will be experimenting with many a mod. Once setup and understood, you can change mods with a breeze. It will also work with almost any other sim you have, like Dangerous Waters or SH3, you name it. It really is an invaluble tool, a must have. As you will find out in reading the thread, all you need to do is unzip, extract or uncompress, depending on what tool you use, (you say WinRandR, that's fine) to your mods folder and JSGME does the rest in a jiffy. It will automatically put things in the proper place and will tell you if you are overwriting any files (in some cases it's neccessary) . Geez..I must sound like a commercial here! I just can't emphasize enough how much using JSGME can help you. Do yourself a favor and check the thread above, and again, be patient, it will be well worth your time. I'll be happy to help you, as will many others if you get stuck. Download JSGME, once unzipped check out the "readme" for instructions....Aw heck......I'll just post'm here........

==Using the Generic Mod Enabler==
1. Ensure that you have a clean, unmodded installation of your game, preferably with the latest patch(es) installed. If you are already running a prior version of the Generic Mod Enabler, disable all enabled mods.
2. Install the Generic Mod Enabler to your game's root folder and run once. This will create the necessary MODS folder if it does not already exist. At this point you should take a snapshot of your "clean" game files by selecting the "Generate snapshot of game files" option from the "Tasks..." list. This snapshot can be used to verify the integrity of the game files at a later date, after you have installed and uninstalled mods (see "Further notes on usage" for more information).
3. After downloading a mod, unzip it into a sub-folder under the MODS folder (call the sub-folder what you like, but use something that defines what the mod is). Note that the modder may have already set up the mod to be "JSGME compatible", in which case this step and the following step will be done for you. In such instances follow the installation instructions that come with the mod.
4. Ensure that the unzipped files under the new mod sub-folder replicate the game's folder structure. For example, with Silent Hunter III you should see something like:
- SilentHunterIII
+ data
documentation
- MODS
- The Mod Name <created at step 3>
- data
- Menu <etc...>
+ Support
5. Run JSGME.exe and you should see the mod listed as an available mod. Simply select and press the ">" button, or click and drag from Available Mods to Activated Mods and the mod is installed!
That's it! Repeat steps 3 to 5 for each additional mod that you want to install and then simply exit the Generic Mod Enabler and load your (now modded) game as usual.
==Further notes on usage==
- MICROSOFT VISTA USERS: If you are running the Generic Mod Enabler on Vista and are having problems with mods "taking" (the usual symptom is that the MODS folder itself is not created when the Generic Mod Enabler is first run), then simply right-click JSGME.exe in Windows Explorer and select "Run as Administrator". Alternatively, right-click JSGME.exe and select "Properties". In the properties window select the "Compatibility" tab and check "Run this program in compatibility mode" and in the box below select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)". In some instances you may need to apply both solutions.
- You can explore a mod's file contents through Windows Explorer by right clicking an available (not activated) mod and selecting "Explore".
- Selecting a mod and right clicking will bring up a list of all files in the mod's "documentation" folder for viewing.
- Selecting a mod will display a brief description of the mod if the modder has provided a text file with an ".jsgme" extension in either the "documentation" folder or base folder.
- You disable mods by clicking on the enabled mod and pressing the "<" button, or clicking and dragging from Activated Mods to Available Mods. If an enabled mod has had files updated by subsequent enabled mods, you will not be allowed to disable the mod until the subsequent mods are disabled.
- You can disable all mods in one action by pressing the "<<" button (useful for when patching your game or updating JSGME.exe).
- You can enable or disable multiple mods simultaneously by pressing the CTRL or ALT keys when selecting.
- You can import mods by unzipping anywhere onto your hard drive and then dragging and dropping the mod folder onto the Generic Mod Enabler's "Available Mods" list. The folder and contents will be automatically moved into the MODS folder ready for enabling. Nb: press the Control key when you drop the folder into the Generic Mod Enabler and it will be copied instead of moved.
- You can remove available mods (not activated) from your computer by selecting and pressing the "Delete" button or pressing the Delete key.
- You can rename mods by selecting and pressing F2.
- You can refresh the mod list at any time by pressing F5.
- You can create new mod folder names by pressing F7.
- You can check the integrity of your game files by selecting the "Compare game files to snapshot" option from the "Tasks..." list at any time. This will compare the current game files against the original snapshot taken at step 2. Any discrepancies will be reported for your information and action.
- To make sharing your mod lists with others easier, you can generate a text file list by selecting the "Export activated mods list" option from the "Tasks..." list. A file titled "Activated mods list.txt" will be saved to your MODS folder.
- You can change the display language of the Generic Mod Enabler by visiting http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products.html and downloading an available language pack. Simply follow the installation instructions included in the language pack.
- MODDERS: You can remove files from the game by including in your package (empty) text files with -remove added to the filename (ie "filename.ext-remove"). Files will be returned when your mod is disabled.
- MODDERS: Add a text file to your "documentation" or base folder with the extension ".jsgme" and the contents (up to 255 characters) will be displayed to the user whenever they click on your mod within the Generic Mod Enabler's interface. This is a great way to quickly "remind" users what your mod does.
==How the Generic Mod Enabler works==
When you run the Generic Mod Enabler, all the sub-folder names under the MODS folder are collected and inserted into the "Available Mods" panel. Enabling a mod copies the associated files across into the game folder structure, backing up any files that it overwrites by appending the mod's name to the file extension and moving to a backup folder. This is why it is important that the folders and files under the mod sub-folder must mirror exactly the structure of the game itself. Also, once you enable a mod, it's good practice not to alter files in the source mod sub-folder. If you want to modify or update files in a mod sub-folder, disable the mod first then re-enable again after the files are updated (ie if a newer version of the mod is released).
The Generic Mod Enabler has been tested with European Air War, Panzer Elite, Silent Hunter III/IV, Total War and various other games but should work with just about any moddable game. Simply follow the above instructions replacing "Silent Hunter III" with the name of the game that you wish to mod.
Enjoy!
Jaesen Jones
JoneSoft
Email jonesoft@internode.on.net if questions or feedback

Sub Sailor
11-26-08, 11:13 AM
Soundman;
I am sorry for my stupidity, but I need some help.
I have JSGME 1.5 in my DW folder but there is a newer one out. I downloaded to a folder on my c-drive, the newer version is 2.2 and when I install it will it effect my DW setup. The up dater recognizes that I have 1.5 version.
Now do I install this to my SH4 folder and then run TMO. I says disable any earlier version of JSGME-I don't know how to do that. I am not even sure what my "root folder" is. So before I go off half cocked I decided to get more advise from you. The only place I find the JSGME is in the DW folder and it is the only place I ever used it, and that was installing the LAWMI mods for DW.
What do I do now, my earlier post explains where I am right now SH4 original, Patch 1.4, U-Boat mission mod are all installed and verified-now what?
Looking at my DW folder I THINK I would install the latest version of JSGME into my SH4 folder and then down load the appropriate TMO and the installer would do the rest. But I don't want to screww everything up.

Sorry to be such a pain,

Computor handicapped

Soundman
11-26-08, 12:17 PM
Soundman;
I am sorry for my stupidity, but I need some help.
I have JSGME 1.5 in my DW folder but there is a newer one out. I downloaded to a folder on my c-drive, the newer version is 2.2 and when I install it will it effect my DW setup. The up dater recognizes that I have 1.5 version.
Now do I install this to my SH4 folder and then run TMO. I says disable any earlier version of JSGME-I don't know how to do that. I am not even sure what my "root folder" is. So before I go off half cocked I decided to get more advise from you. The only place I find the JSGME is in the DW folder and it is the only place I ever used it, and that was installing the LAWMI mods for DW.
What do I do now, my earlier post explains where I am right now SH4 original, Patch 1.4, U-Boat mission mod are all installed and verified-now what?
Looking at my DW folder I THINK I would install the latest version of JSGME into my SH4 folder and then down load the appropriate TMO and the installer would do the rest. But I don't want to screww everything up.

Sorry to be such a pain,

Computor handicapped

No pain at all Ron, I'm happy to help. Your root folder in this case is your "Silent hunter wolves of the Pacific". To disable you DW Mods, Run JSGME and select the enabled mod and disable them by using the arrow tabs. I'm going to post a section from the thread that I posted a link to above and then tell you what I think you should do. I don't profess to be an expert on this subject, but I would suggest that before you update or download and install the newer version of JSGME, you first run JSGME and disable any mods you are using with DW. That way, you can simply re-enable them after the update. Note that when using JSGME with two different games (in your case, DW & SH4) you will have two JSGME shortcuts, one for each game. You can put the shortcuts on your desktop or just go inside the game's folder and run it from there. It sounds like you have the DW JSGME in the game folder and that is fine.

After you disable your current DW mods, download the new version and "SAVE" to a folder you can easily find. Then open the folder and run the setup file. (There are pretty good instuctions there as you go through the pages, to explain what you need to do. Please read them. I'm trying to walk you through, but don't want to be responsible if I screw up and leave something important out.) Make sure you create the proper path for installation, i.e. C:/Program Files/Ubisoft/Silent Hunter 4. ..Once done, go to the path above find JSGME and run it. It will create a "Mod" folder and then you will need to extract TMO to the mod folder JSGME created. I suggest before putting in TMO, that you take a "snapshot" of your SH4 install using JSGME. Once this is done, your going to be all set and can try out any mod you choose with ease. This may sound complicated, but it's not that hard and will be worth the effort. Just take your time and read the instructions. You may want to go and read some of the thread I put a link to in the above post and again, Below is an excerpt from the thread. There are also more updated instructions and info as you go through the pages during installation. It will pretty much walk you through, just be sure to take your time just in case and read the info. If you have any more questions, let me know. BTW, are you running Vista? If you are, the first time you run JSGME, right click and select "run as administrator" or it won't create a mod folder.

INSTALLATION
Prior to installing v2.0 it is imperative that you disable all current enabled mods. Not doing so will corrupt the running of JSGME and hence your game. Once you've disabled all mods (check your !BACKUP folder too for any residual files), simply install this version over the top and resume using as you normally do. If you have a lot of mods installed, create an activated mods list first so that you can remember the order in which to re-enable then.

NB: If when you run this version for the first time it displays activated mods, then unfortunately you are a victim of the self-inflicted "oops". In other words, at some stage you've manually deleted or renamed a mod while it was still enabled. Unfortunately, JSGME v2.0 can not fix existing instances of this problem, so before continuing you'll need to determine the impact and manually correct (either reinstall the mod on your computer and disable through your previous version of JSGME, or manually remove the files from your game and then disable the entries via the new version of JSGME).

Sub Sailor
11-26-08, 01:14 PM
Soundman rest assured I am not the type to be upset if there is a problem. I am great full for the help.
I don't know how to disable my current JSGME or DW. All I know I had to use JSGME to load the LWAMI mods to DW and I have never used it since. The only place that the 1.5 JSGME is in my DW folder.
This morning I downloaded 2.2 to a separate folder on my C drive., and that is where it sets.
I don't know how I got TMO 1.4 except I had to use WinRnR. When I tried this time all I ended up with was two folder Data and Support and there were no changes to SH4.
So I am at a blank wall. I know in DW I loaded JSGME 1.5 and it waked me through the rest of it and it worked fine. It even had and still does have that by simply draging from one box to another that I can change the splash screen.

Stymied in Idaho

Ron

Soundman
11-26-08, 03:16 PM
OK Ron, Go to your DW folder and run JSGME. When it opens you should see all of your activated mods in the right hand box. The left hand box is the inactive box. Move the ones on the right side to the left. I have read they can be dragged as you describe, although I've never done it that way. Which ever way you can git'r done is OK as long as you get them into the left hand box. Then you should be safe to proceed. BTW, the zip program you speak of, is that WINRAR? If so, once you have got the new JSGME installed and have created the mod folder inside of SH4, extract TMO 152.7z to the created mod folder in SH4. Then run JSGME and you should see TMO in the left hand box. Move it to the right box (activted mods) and BAM! you should now have TMO installed.