PDA

View Full Version : Radio Stations

DaveyJ576
11-22-08, 07:53 PM
I am new to the game, and can't figure out how the radio is supposed to work. I can't seem to get it to tune to a specific station. I downloaded the Captain Midnight mod and installed it using JSGME and it doesn't seem to work. I can't get the radio to tune exactly to station 30.

clayp
11-23-08, 11:27 AM
Davey see here.....http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=119668.....and welcome....

DaveyJ576
11-23-08, 03:27 PM
Clay, thanks for the link. I will probably download some of these. But, call me a rock here, I still don't get how to tune the radio to the right station! Getting it to stop exactly on the right number is just about impossible! It must be something simple that I am missing, as everyone else seems to be having a grand time with this!

clayp
11-23-08, 06:41 PM
Clay, thanks for the link. I will probably download some of these. But, call me a rock here, I still don't get how to tune the radio to the right station! Getting it to stop exactly on the right number is just about impossible! It must be something simple that I am missing, as everyone else seems to be having a grand time with this!

I'm sorry Davey I dont know I had to get help myself....:oops:

fred8615
11-24-08, 09:26 AM
I am new to the game, and can't figure out how the radio is supposed to work. I can't seem to get it to tune to a specific station. I downloaded the Captain Midnight mod and installed it using JSGME and it doesn't seem to work. I can't get the radio to tune exactly to station 30.
Did you copy the channel info from the readme and paste it into the radio.ini file? It sounds to me like you didn't. Because of all the different radio stations out there, you have to edit the radio.ini by hand.

Fish40
11-25-08, 11:05 AM
Follow my instructions in this post: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=144451 It may seem a bit long and roundabout, but I have no problems with my Radio Stations.

Soundman
11-25-08, 03:28 PM
Another question here...I just added KGMB radio. I installed it the same as other stations I have working fine. The radio is tuning to the right station frequency, but nothing is playing. The readme says it's mainly a news station, will it only play at certain times. Do some of the stations go off air at a certain hour. Also, it says that tunes may be added to the station folder if so desired. Will it just play tunes randomly until an "event" happens? One more question...if you desire to change the frequency, do you just change the ini file to the desired frequency ? In this case, I first tried the default and the frequency interfered with the washington station. When I changed it to the other option (530 I think) it found the station, but it took about 3 minutes to get there. :damn: Geez that's alot of static ! AND, as I said, after locatiing the station, nothing played. It was around 3:00 in the morning so I thought maybe they went off air! :rotfl:

Thanks in advance for a reply.

fred8615
11-25-08, 05:05 PM
Another question here...I just added KGMB radio. I installed it the same as other stations I have working fine. The radio is tuning to the right station frequency, but nothing is playing. The readme says it's mainly a news station, will it only play at certain times. Do some of the stations go off air at a certain hour. Also, it says that tunes may be added to the station folder if so desired. Will it just play tunes randomly until an "event" happens? One more question...if you desire to change the frequency, do you just change the ini file to the desired frequency ? In this case, I first tried the default and the frequency interfered with the washington station. When I changed it to the other option (530 I think) it found the station, but it took about 3 minutes to get there. :damn: Geez that's alot of static ! AND, as I said, after locatiing the station, nothing played. It was around 3:00 in the morning so I thought maybe they went off air! :rotfl:

You have to add music to the station or you won't hear anything until a scripted event is set to play. And yes, music in the radio stations does play randomly.

Frequencies are set in the ini. The "generic" interfers with Washington because when I first created KGMB I had changed Washington, forgot the stock used 22, and forgot to fix that in the latest version. Sorry. If you want it earlier than the real frequency, just redo it to a number ten or so away from any other station.

Yes it does take awhile to get to the station using the real frequencey, but the advantage is it won't interfer with any other station as no one else is using frequencies that high. To have it take less time, just use the time compression. That's what I do.

DaveyJ576
11-25-08, 05:14 PM
Thanks everyone for your help! I read these posts and took a look at my file structure and finally the proverbial lightbulb popped on over my head! I figured out what I was not doing right and corrected it. The radio works fine now!

Thanks again.

Dave

http://pigboats.com

Soundman
11-25-08, 05:26 PM

You have to add music to the station or you won't hear anything until a scripted event is set to play. And yes, music in the radio stations does play randomly.

Frequencies are set in the ini. The "generic" interfers with Washington because when I first created KGMB I had changed Washington, forgot the stock used 22, and forgot to fix that in the latest version. Sorry. If you want it earlier than the real frequency, just redo it to a number ten or so away from any other station.

Yes it does take awhile to get to the station using the real frequencey, but the advantage is it won't interfer with any other station as no one else is using frequencies that high. To have it take less time, just use the time compression. That's what I do.

Ah Ha ! Doh! I didn't think of using time compression. Thanks Fred ! BTW, I think you may want to amend some info. When I extracted the files to the station folder, all the sound files remained inside the Events folder. Took me a little while to figure out, but I had to cut and paste from the Events folder to the station folder, in this case the KGMB folder. Thanks for all the great sounds Fred, Today I just listened to the 1942 music at work. It was way before my time, but I love the jazz and swing stuff.

One more question comes to mind....It seems I remember reading something about events and the clipboard. Is that to say that when an event happens, the clipboard notifies you and you can tune to the radio to get the scoop?

fred8615
11-26-08, 08:59 AM
Ah Ha ! Doh! I didn't think of using time compression. Thanks Fred ! BTW, I think you may want to amend some info. When I extracted the files to the station folder, all the sound files remained inside the Events folder. Took me a little while to figure out, but I had to cut and paste from the Events folder to the station folder, in this case the KGMB folder. Thanks for all the great sounds Fred, Today I just listened to the 1942 music at work. It was way before my time, but I love the jazz and swing stuff.
Ummm, that's where they're supposed to be. Files in the Events folder are the ones that play at certain times and certain dates. If you take them out of Events and put them in the station folder, they'll play randomly, meaning you'll get 1944 news in 1942, etc. You're only supposed to put music in the station folder.

One more question comes to mind....It seems I remember reading something about events and the clipboard. Is that to say that when an event happens, the clipboard notifies you and you can tune to the radio to get the scoop?
Yes, the Washington station does that. You have to have a text file with the same exact name as a sound file it's connected with, only using .ini as an extension. For example, if you have a news file called "Dec 7.mp3" in the Events folder, you could have a text version called "Dec 7.ini" that will display in the clipboard when the mp3 file is set to be played. The neat thing is that the text will show in the clipboard even if you're not on that station, or playing the radio.

Soundman
11-26-08, 11:04 AM
OK, I think I'm getting the gist of this now, but I'm still a little confused. :hmm: As an example: When I installed the Los Angeles station that has a ton of entertainment programming, when I first tried playing the station nothing happened until I moved the files. Now if I understand this, should music and in this case entertainment, be in the station folder, with the news stuff remaining in the events folder? Or.. should the entertainment still play while residing in the events folder? In other words, is the entertainment an "event" too? Also, if everything remains in the events folder, should there/will there ever be dead airtime? That's where I'm still confused. Thanks for you patience Fred. :up:

EDIT: Another question comes to mind....As far as my scenario above, with nothing playing while all the files reside in the "events" folder.....Does it matter if the mod is installed in the middle of a carreer and/or while on patrol. I installed this mid patrol, thinking it had nothing to do with the campaign, so therefore, no need (or so I thought) to install while "in port"... Just got me thinking maybe no events were triggered because of the mid patrol or even mid career install.

fred8615
11-26-08, 01:01 PM
OK, I think I'm getting the gist of this now, but I'm still a little confused. :hmm: As an example: When I installed the Los Angeles station that has a ton of entertainment programming, when I first tried playing the station nothing happened until I moved the files. Now if I understand this, should music and in this case entertainment, be in the station folder, with the news stuff remaining in the events folder? Or.. should the entertainment still play while residing in the events folder? In other words, is the entertainment an "event" too? Also, if everything remains in the events folder, should there/will there ever be dead airtime? That's where I'm still confused. Thanks for you patience Fred. :up:
Simple answer: Don't move anything out of the Events folder!

Everything in Events is there to play on a specific day, and at a specific time. Even worse, of you move a file out of Events, and the stations calls for it and can't find it, the game will CTD. If you put music in the station folder, or the year folders of the stations that have them, you won't have any dead air time. The music will play until an event is set to start, then the music volume is set to go as low as possible while the event file plays. When it ends, the music comes back.

Note again that for most of my stations, the music MUST be inside the year folders in the station folder, or you still won't hear anything. If there are no year folders, the music just goes in the station folder itself. Don't put music in Events as it won't play from there.

EDIT: Another question comes to mind....As far as my scenario above, with nothing playing while all the files reside in the "events" folder.....Does it matter if the mod is installed in the middle of a carreer and/or while on patrol. I installed this mid patrol, thinking it had nothing to do with the campaign, so therefore, no need (or so I thought) to install while "in port"... Just got me thinking maybe no events were triggered because of the mid patrol or even mid career install.
Radio mods can be installed anytime. They don't require any stock game file changes except to the radio.ini file. So installing even between saving and resuming a game is fine.

Soundman
11-26-08, 03:48 PM
Gotcha! I think:lol: ....So if I understand this correcty, unless I add music manually, there will be some dead air until an event happens, AND the entertainment shows such as the Lone Ranger etc. are events and are scheduled as well, which would make sense, because they need to play in a specific order to play the episodes chronologically. Yes? :know: Thanks again Fred!

fred8615
11-27-08, 09:38 AM
Gotcha! I think:lol: ....So if I understand this correcty, unless I add music manually, there will be some dead air until an event happens, AND the entertainment shows such as the Lone Ranger etc. are events and are scheduled as well, which would make sense, because they need to play in a specific order to play the episodes chronologically. Yes? :know: Thanks again Fred!
Yes to both.:up:

DaveyJ576
11-30-08, 03:09 PM
I got my stations to work properly, but now the volume is so low that I can barely hear it at times. Is there a way to boost the volume by altering a file? And yes, I have the game settings and my computer volume turned up.

Thanks

Dave

fred8615
12-01-08, 10:39 AM
I got my stations to work properly, but now the volume is so low that I can barely hear it at times. Is there a way to boost the volume by altering a file? And yes, I have the game settings and my computer volume turned up.
Hmmm. Check the wave volume setting on your computer sound. Try turning it up some before starting the game. If that doesn't help, I don't know what to tell you.