PDA

View Full Version : What's that fool RR up to now?! A puzzle.

Rockin Robbins
11-22-08, 01:23 PM
Now for something completely different. What's wrong with this picture?

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/RockinRobbins13/andlinuxinWindowsXP.jpg

Digital_Trucker
11-22-08, 01:47 PM
You have way too many icons on your desktop?:D

Rockin Robbins
11-22-08, 02:05 PM
Yeah, that's true, but not what I was seeking to draw attention to. I think they're multiplying when I leave the machine running at night.....

Maybe one of those Roach Motels would work.:hmm:

Check out the title bar of the browser and the third button in the system tray. It's a K on a blue background that will look very familiar to eccentrics like myself.

Task Force
11-22-08, 02:18 PM
Yea, are all those icons linked to programs? If so, you have a Heck of a lot of programs.:lol:

Rockin Robbins
11-22-08, 02:23 PM
Well, I do have program clutter. Beware the terrabyte storage ability. You WILL find stuff that just has to reside there. But it's the nature of the browser I'm trying to get people to look at. It's somewhere it isn't supposed to belong and I'm using it now.

You might do a google search for Konqueror and see why it doesn't belong where you see it. Here's another one that doesn't belong on any kind of Windows desktop. They run. I'm using Konqueror to post now.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/RockinRobbins13/AmarokinWindows.jpg

So far it's not THAT useful. I want to hook Amarok up to my Windows music collection but haven't got the installation to see my NTFS partitions yet. It could still end up being a premature toy.

I'm sure there are a few who recognize the wolf icon in my task bar button and can read "Konsole" on the taskbar and in the Konsole window. I'm running Windows XP Media Center Edition and executing Ubuntu Linix KDE applications within Windows. If I can hook the NTFS drives to the Linux it will be bulletproof.

This is the andLinux installation. It is nasty beta. It eats hard drives, dogs and babies. It takes a bit of trial and terror to get it all together, but it looks like the first successful marriage of two incompatible operating systems. I can fire up the Synaptic Package Manager and shazzam! I have thousands of free pieces of quality and not so quality software I can install and keep updated with a single click. And how many people are browsing SUBSIM with Konqueror this instant? I thought Firefox was an exclusive group, but this is a whole new level. There are some text based browsers still available. Wonder what SUBSIM looks like with one of those? I'm losing it!

Guess I'm just interested in seeing if I'm the only one interested in this stuff.:88)

SteamWake
11-22-08, 03:52 PM
Good lord man how many processes are you running. Looks like fibber mcgees closet ! :rotfl:

FIREWALL
11-22-08, 04:02 PM
How much is running in the background ? :lol:

Rockin Robbins
11-22-08, 04:11 PM
Let's see, APC Powerchute, nView Properties, andLinux Menu (sucks up 256k of memory unless you turn it off with a single click), a scanner (not ready), Zone Alarm, Volumouse, EVGA Res Changer, Volume Control, OpenDNS Updater, Ad Muncher (no ads at all on FileFront), nVidia Settings, RU Botted, Ai Booster, DAEMON Tools Lite (virtual DVD drives), Windows Defender, Citi Virtual Credit Card, a deactivated network connection, Yamaha XG Midi SoftSynthesizer, avast! Antivirus (two icons) and the standard removable media disconnect icon.

About half can be deactivated, but as a general rule all are running when I run SH4 with no problem, except for Windows Defender, which sometimes I have to terminate. I could make a difference by temporarily turning off avast's realtime file scanner too. Those two are the only two that I can detect any bad effects from.

Oh and you can see I'm running two browsers right now, Firefox for Windows and Konquerer for Linux in two separate Windows windows, along with the KDE Konsole giving me a fully functional KDE Linux command line inside Windows. I could start SH4 right now and run it decently well on this February 2007 machine.