PDA

View Full Version : Service Pack 3 and SH4

banjo
11-20-08, 11:11 AM
I have not upgraded to Windows XP Service Pack 3 because I think I read somewhere it causes problems with games.

Have any of you upgraded to that Pack, and if so, has it been okay? All things being equal I would like to use it for the added security, but don't want to mess up SH 4.

Thanks.

AVGWarhawk
11-20-08, 11:13 AM
I have service pack 3. No issues with games. I have loaded it on my work and home computers. No issues with SP3 to be honest.

DeepIron
11-20-08, 11:17 AM
I have service pack 3. No issues with games. I have loaded it on my work and home computers. No issues with SP3 to be honest.Ditto...

Loud_Silence
11-20-08, 11:29 AM
I have service pack 3. No issues with games. I have loaded it on my work and home computers. No issues with SP3 to be honest.
Same here

Deep-Six
11-20-08, 01:19 PM
I am a pc tech, SP3 is safe and I have updated to it also. also no issues w/ any games that I have.

Rockin Robbins
11-20-08, 01:33 PM
The issues SP3 has are with hardware. For instance if I were to load it up my computer (Asus A8N-32 SLI Deluxe motherboard) would refuse to boot unless I had a flash drive in the USB slot before I boot. There are issues with many network cards as well. If you check out the forbidden hardware list and come out clean you can install SP3. Actually you can install it anyway if you don't mind switching to Ubuntu afterwards.:rotfl:

Some of the forbidden hardware is way too common for Microsloth to have any excuse at all to release a patch that will not work with it. It's tempting to suppose that they are doing it to force the reluctant to buy Vista. Well, I already have Vista. It runs really well on the end of a bookshelf, safely in its plastic case, where it will always remain.

I'm already to the point that for everything I do, other than play SH4, Linux is doing the job better and faster (not to mention for free) than Windows. If it weren't for Silent Hunter, if Microsoft vanished from the face of the earth I wouldn't notice.

Carotio
11-20-08, 04:31 PM
I have no issues either, but I would also count my pc to the high-end.
I was asked to install SP3 on an old pc belonging to my brother's girlfriend and this was directly a pain-in-the-b*tt. That didn't work. I had made a restore point first before trying, so I had to go back and tell her: not with this pc.

So if it's an old pc, make a restore point, try it out if it works. If not, you can always restore.

-SWCowboy.
11-20-08, 04:45 PM
My stone-age '05 Satellite couldn't/wouldn't/didn't handle SP3 very well so I'll be sticking with SP2 for a while. I got terrible lag when my laptop would load up and kept getting fatal errors and BSOD's...

Kind of weary of anything new coming out of Microsoft these days... :huh:

kiwi_2005
11-20-08, 05:00 PM
Yes install SP3 better update than SP2.

Service pack 3 fixed an on going issue with my Creative sound blaster card. This card is so old (sound blaster live 5n1) that no drivers are supported for it on their site :) Yet its still going great and better than the onboard sound. Trouble is with SP2 the sound blaster would every so often just lock up where i would get a continuous weird sound only way to get out of it was a restart of windows. Since updating windows to SP3 i no longer get the problem.

aanker
11-20-08, 07:11 PM
Yes install SP3 better update than SP2.

Service pack 3 fixed an on going issue with my Creative sound blaster card. This card is so old (sound blaster live 5n1) that no drivers are supported for it on their site :) Yet its still going great and better than the onboard sound. Trouble is with SP2 the sound blaster would every so often just lock up where i would get a continuous weird sound only way to get out of it was a restart of windows. Since updating windows to SP3 i no longer get the problem.
Ditto regarding SP3 - no problems with SH4 - and:

Same here! It seems to have fixed the issues I was having with Creative too - as well as some strange Dell error message. They're gone now.

Happy Hunting!

Art

Stev1
11-21-08, 08:04 AM
Same here, No problems using XP Service Pack 3 with Silent Hunter 4, also play Doom 3 and Doom 3 expansion pack with no problems.

Rockin Robbins
11-21-08, 09:29 AM
While it is true that the odds are in your favor with SP3, if you are one of those for which it doesn't work, it will ruin your day. Do the research for your peace of mind before applying this poorly designed service pack. If your equipment isn't discriminated against, you'll get an improvement. If your equipment IS discriminated against your machine may not boot or you may lose all network and Internet connection.

It seems reasonable to me that once a piece of equipment is Windows certified, future service packs should support that equipment. Microsoft failed a basic duty of a company we all rely on in order to operate our computers. Apparently Windows Certified is a meaningless phrase meaning little other than at one time money was paid to Microsoft. Doesn't look like Asus, for one, got their money's worth.

banjo
11-21-08, 10:14 AM
Thanks all. I went ahead and installed it after I saw the first two replies. Thanks for your cautions Rockin--I guess I'm okay. No probs so far anyway.

Rockin Robbins
11-21-08, 01:02 PM
You'd know right away. It either works or it doesn't. You're home free.

Red Devil
11-25-08, 09:33 AM
I am on SH4 and SP3; no problems thus far.

Capt. Shark Bait
11-25-08, 12:34 PM
SP3=no probs:smug:

Sandman_28054
11-28-08, 03:27 AM
I have not upgraded to Windows XP Service Pack 3 because I think I read somewhere it causes problems with games.

Have any of you upgraded to that Pack, and if so, has it been okay? All things being equal I would like to use it for the added security, but don't want to mess up SH 4.

Thanks.

I recently had to reformat my HD due to my son picking up a virus.

After the reformat and the long time reloading everything, the Windows update asked if I wanted to install SP3. not thinking I ok'ed it.

So far, no problems.

If your hesitant, there is always those "System Checkpoints" you can create which notes what state your system is in. You can make a "System Checkpoint", download and install, and if it does create problems, you can go back to the system checkpoint and start where your were. Kinda like the "Rollback" option for SH3 Commander.

Sirkam
11-28-08, 04:00 AM
I have de SP3 too, and no problems at all.

Torps
11-28-08, 10:33 AM
No problems with SP3, other then an increase in FPS 1-2 :up: