PDA

View Full Version : History of Gaming

Pioneer
11-19-08, 04:59 AM
My eldest daughter has reported that the following exhibition is currently in Brisbane, Australia, at the State Library (Southbank) until February 09.

Game On (http://www.slq.qld.gov.au/whats-on/exhibit/cur/game-on)

She also reports that she will be taking her younger sister to try out the Space Invaders cocktail table game at my insistence.

Look at the title of some of those games - Frogger, Dig Dug, 1942, Galaxian I remember playing after school in :dead: about 1978 at a local Fish 'n' Chip shop that still served milkshakes in the steel can, Coke with a bottle top and Chiko rolls for about 50 cents.

"Chiko beats the others single handed."

(If you're not AU, just nod your head in astonishment)

jpm1
11-19-08, 05:22 AM
Thanks for reminding me my advanced age http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b264/jpm1/Emoticons/rire3.gif . First game i played was Pac man on a portable console bought duty free at Panama , when we're a kid there are moments we don't forget :up:

TarJak
11-19-08, 05:57 AM
Hope they have the gandaddy of em all; Pong! Might have to take a trip to Brisvegas soon.

Digital_Trucker
11-19-08, 10:18 AM
Hope they have the gandaddy of em all; Pong! Might have to take a trip to Brisvegas soon.
I can still remember the wonderment that my brother and I felt at receiving our first Pong machine which our parents purchased at Sears and Roebuck (yes there used to be a Roebuck in the name :rotfl:). Now if I could just remember where I put my teeth:oops:

Murr44
11-19-08, 11:54 AM
I remember most of those games, especially Galaxian...now I feel really old!:eek:

Konovalov
11-19-08, 12:24 PM
Look at the title of some of those games - Frogger, Dig Dug, 1942, Galaxian I remember playing after school in :dead: about 1978 at a local Fish 'n' Chip shop that still served milkshakes in the steel can, Coke with a bottle top and Chiko rolls for about 50 cents.

(If you're not AU, just nod your head in astonishment)
:lol: :lol: :lol: Wow, I just had a flood of childhood memories of me and the mates crossing the road after school to the local Fish n Chip shop and ordering dims dims, potatoe cakes, chips, and chiko rolls. Then it was off to the local ten pin bowling alley to play Gallaga, 1942, and other now classics. Those were the days. :smug:

Did the company that made Chiko rolls ever change the logo or advertising? And I could never for the life of me work out what the hell was inside a chiko roll? :oops: Who cares, tasted great. Last time I had one was about 12 years ago at Parramatta Raceway watching Sprintcars.

MothBalls
11-19-08, 12:40 PM
If I could get back all the coins I dropped into these games...... or the time I spent playing them......

Falkirion
11-19-08, 04:35 PM
If you get a chance to go to Game On go. Its worth it for the Pacman and Space invaders alone.

I went while it was here in Melbourne, twice! Enjoyed just as much the second time as I did the first. The array of consoles on offer is massive. From the good old Atari right up to the Wii/360/PS3

bookworm_020
11-19-08, 06:52 PM
I heard about this. They have a guy there full time keeping the machines going as they were never made to last this long.

Did the company that made Chiko rolls ever change the logo or advertising? And I could never for the life of me work out what the hell was inside a chiko roll?
No to the logo or advertising, it's still as non-PC as ever!:up: Whats in a chiko roll? that's like asking whats in a chicken nugget. You kind of know already, but don't want it confirmed! In case you want to know here it is!

http://www.simplot.com.au/news.asp?pgID=81

UPDATE: They have given in to the PC crowed! NOOOOOOO!!!!

http://treadly.net/2008/07/20/speedlinking-20-july-2008/
http://dailyadvertiser.yourguide.com.au/news/local/news/general/chiko-chick-is-back/845038.aspx

In case you want to see what it looks like and the original poster style, check out below!

http://www.upfromaustralia.com/chikoroll.html

sonar732
11-19-08, 07:30 PM
I can still remember the wonderment that my brother and I felt at receiving our first Pong machine which our parents purchased at Sears and Roebuck (yes there used to be a Roebuck in the name :rotfl:). Now if I could just remember where I put my teeth:oops:

How about playing their Intellivision clone on display.:rock::up:

sonar732
11-19-08, 07:31 PM

(If you're not AU, just nod your head in astonishment) :lol: :lol: :lol: Wow, I just had a flood of childhood memories of me and the mates crossing the road after school to the local Fish n Chip shop and ordering dims dims, potatoe cakes, chips, and chiko rolls. Then it was off to the local ten pin bowling alley to play Gallaga, 1942, and other now classics. Those were the days. :smug:

Did the company that made Chiko rolls ever change the logo or advertising? And I could never for the life of me work out what the hell was inside a chiko roll? :oops: Who cares, tasted great. Last time I had one was about 12 years ago at Parramatta Raceway watching Sprintcars.

Get the MAME32 emulator and you can play those games once again!

sonar732
11-19-08, 07:32 PM
What the heck...no RSR, Pirates, Pool of Radiance, on the Commodore 64 or Amiga? :damn::damn::down:

Task Force
11-19-08, 07:46 PM
Old games.:yep: Maby not 3d super computer games, but veary good.:yep: I remember my first system I got back in 96-98 (some where between those tow dates) was the Super Nintendo, ya know, the old square one, where everything was square. (use to like Silent Service game, and some others):yep:

To bad this is only in austrilia.

Sailor Steve
11-19-08, 07:47 PM
I was already married when I saw my first Pong game - in a restaurant lobby! Paid a quarter to play it, then fifty cents to play against my wife, then a dollar to play with friends...

Hooked!:rotfl:

TarJak
11-19-08, 08:14 PM
I remember dismantling the ingition from the gas heaters at school then using the sparker held against the coin slot to give the machines a heart starter and free credits in the hundreds. Played Galaga and Space Invaders for hours for nix that way for a couple of years.:know:

bookworm_020
11-19-08, 08:23 PM
I remember dismantling the ingition from the gas heaters at school then using the sparker held against the coin slot to give the machines a heart starter and free credits in the hundreds. Played Galaga and Space Invaders for hours for nix that way for a couple of years.:know:

One of the reason that they never worked at my high school!;) TarJak, watch out, the heater had asbestos is them, and many of the heater sheaded asbestos dust as they got older.:dead:

Task Force
11-19-08, 08:34 PM
Ooooo. I hate asbestos, sad the number of people it helped killed.:roll:

TarJak
11-20-08, 02:02 AM

One of the reason that they never worked at my high school!;) TarJak, watch out, the heater had asbestos is them, and many of the heater sheaded asbestos dust as they got older.:dead:

Luckily for me the ignition system was on the outside of the heater well clear of the asbestos lagging which was internal on ours.;) And ours never worked either but lots of free games got played at the local milk bar.:arrgh!:

Stormin Norman
11-20-08, 09:34 AM
I recall the first time I heard the addictive sound of Space Invaders in a gas station. What a thrill that was, but looking back, such a simple game, and expensive to boot.