PDA

View Full Version : SH3Cmndr and crew transfers?

prowler3
11-17-08, 11:35 AM
I know it might not be realistic...but I'm tired of losing crew members I have trained, qualified and promoted at the end of every patrol. I have the SH3Cmdr setting "simulate realistic crew transfers" unchecked (off) and yet, every time I pull into Wilhelmshaven...I lose guys? Any way to keep the crew I've worked so hard to get where they are at?

Thanks!

Jimbuna
11-17-08, 12:50 PM
That is most unusual...have yiy performed the 'rollback' option each time you exit the game :hmm:

prowler3
11-17-08, 01:11 PM
Yes Sir. I have it set to "auto rollback"...it performs itself. Should I not perform the rollback?

Jimbuna
11-17-08, 03:18 PM
Yes Sir. I have it set to "auto rollback"...it performs itself. Should I not perform the rollback?

On the contrary, it is best practice to perform a 'rollback'.

I'm just confused as to why you should be experiencing such phenomena.

Try a new career and see if the problem is replicated.

If the problem persists you obviously have a conflict somewhere.

What version of the game are you playing....do you have a supermod installed and what third party mods do you have installed.

prowler3
11-17-08, 10:01 PM
I should make a sig with some of this in it...
I am using SHIII, patched to 1.4b, with GWX 2.1.
My other mods

http://users.frii.com/viciii3/JSGME-1.jpg

In SH3Cmdr I have for career settings: "randomize days in base" and "use real ship names"...all others unchecked. Anything here pop out at you?

Thanks for looking.

prowler3
11-18-08, 12:55 PM

I did 2 patrols in a new career without losing a single crewmember in port...go figure :hmm: . I will just have to live with it in my original career as I'm not wanting to start over, again, another time, once more :p . Not sure why this carrer is doing this as I started it with everything as is and didn't mod anything that I can think of after starting it? Oh well.

Thanks Jim.

Jimbuna
11-22-08, 08:59 AM

I did 2 patrols in a new career without losing a single crewmember in port...go figure :hmm: . I will just have to live with it in my original career as I'm not wanting to start over, again, another time, once more :p . Not sure why this carrer is doing this as I started it with everything as is and didn't mod anything that I can think of after starting it? Oh well.

Thanks Jim.

Any time http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

Weiss Pinguin
11-22-08, 12:06 PM
How about switching crew transfers on and off every couple of patrols, as a compromise of sorts? :hmm:

prowler3
11-22-08, 08:39 PM
How about switching crew transfers on and off every couple of patrols, as a compromise of sorts? :hmm:

I thought I had it "off" (at least I had "realistic crew transfers" unchecked in SH3Cmndr) but was still losing 5-6 guys after every patrol. My big issue with this is the "stinginess" of SH3 with "Qualifications"...you only get one per patrol. So you get a guy qualified as, say, a sonarman...and he disappears next time you return to port. At that rate you'll never have a competent crew.

My new career is not having the problem...I lose no one when returning to base. So my SH3Cmdr setting is now working.

Anyone know what the logic was of making only one Qualification available per cruise? :down:

Jimbuna
11-23-08, 08:55 AM
You could always manually add a qualification or two more using Commander http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

Kapt Z
11-23-08, 01:04 PM
You could always manually add a qualification or two more using Commander http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

Exactly!:up:

I would think IRL the crew would always being working toward qualifications. I usually give out a total of 2-3 qualifications per patrol and promote about 50% of those with enough experience. I also transfer some of my most senior/experienced men for newbies each patrol or two.

BasilY
11-25-08, 12:57 AM
A crewman of mine had a traffic accident on a Milk Cow, go figure.,,,:-?

Sailor Steve
11-25-08, 03:11 PM

Exactly!:up:

I would think IRL the crew would always being working toward qualifications. I usually give out a total of 2-3 qualifications per patrol and promote about 50% of those with enough experience. I also transfer some of my most senior/experienced men for newbies each patrol or two.
Also remember that with the latest version of Commander a lot of the time the replacement will already be qualified.

My only complaint is that at the start of the career you might have a guy with five patrols under his belt and a '0' experience rating, and a guy with no patrols and lots of experience!:doh:

Kapt Z
11-25-08, 09:16 PM
[quote=Sailor Steve
My only complaint is that at the start of the career you might have a guy with five patrols under his belt and a '0' experience rating, and a guy with no patrols and lots of experience!:doh:[/quote]

I know just what you mean. I am on the first patrol with my new boat and I have several guys with 2-6 patrols each and around '3' for experience?!? What were they doing on those patrols? Sitting on tube '6'???;)

prowler3
11-26-08, 01:17 AM

Jeez...I forgot I had that ability. You go away for awhile and you forget all the little things! On the up side...I'm on my 7th career...freakin' GWX2.1 is kicking my butt!:up:

Jimbuna
11-26-08, 07:18 AM

Jeez...I forgot I had that ability. You go away for awhile and you forget all the little things! On the up side...I'm on my 7th career...freakin' GWX2.1 is kicking my butt!:up:

BE MORE AGGRESSIVE!! http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

JScones
01-01-09, 07:16 AM
My only complaint is that at the start of the career you might have a guy with five patrols under his belt and a '0' experience rating, and a guy with no patrols and lots of experience!:doh:
I am on the first patrol with my new boat and I have several guys with 2-6 patrols each and around '3' for experience?!? What were they doing on those patrols? Sitting on tube '6'???;)
I'll answer both comments in one go...

By default crewmen come with a level of experience based on their rank. Your lowest ranked crewmen have a default experience rating of 0 and your highest ranked crewmen have a default experience rating of 500. This is an SH3 default (you can view the default experience ratings in Basic.cfg; look for the "Experience" key under the CREW_0 to CREW_8 sections) which SH3Cmdr does not tinker with. You'll see why when you read on.

So this explains your second observation Steve.

When calculating experience for previous patrols, SH3Cmdr uses the same base logic as SH3. That is, a crewman starts off with the default experience rating plus 1 point for each patrol completed. I am guessing that Kapt Z is looking at his lowest ranked crewmen, because their experience will be equal to the number of patrols they have completed (generally - read on) as their default experience rating is 0.

SH3Cmdr assumes a high level of uneventful previous experience - it uses calculations based on real historical averages (remember, you might be able to sink 300,000 tonnes in one patrol in SH3, but that didn't happen in reality, and SH3Cmdr looks to reality for its guidance). However, in some instances you will receive decorated crewmen. Again, SH3Cmdr uses the same logic as SH3 does when calculating experience ratings for decorated crewmen with the result being increased experience.

So, this just leaves your first observation Steve - one which can't be possible, for as I've detailed above at the least a crewman's experience will be equal to the number of patrols he has completed. So, if you've got examples to the contrary, pls email them to me.

The bottom line? If you get a crewman with 6 previous patrols, his experience rating, either with decoration or not, will be the same as if he had completed the 6 patrols with you.