PDA

View Full Version : Obesity programmed before birth

August
11-17-08, 12:25 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7721438.stm

Eating a high-fat diet in pregnancy may cause changes in the foetal brain that lead to over-eating and obesity early in life, research suggests.

XabbaRus
11-17-08, 04:29 AM
Could explain why fat people have fat kids.....

Or it could be no another excuse by the over eaters not to moderate their behaviour as it isn't their fault, they can't help it.

Skybird
11-17-08, 05:21 AM

Or it could be no another excuse by the over eaters not to moderate their behaviour as it isn't their fault, they can't help it.
:up: Exactly, and it is a thing well-known to psychologists helping in medical programs dealing with obesity.

There are rare medically explained predispositions that help obesity, make it even unavoidable. However, the vast majority of people get fat by their behavior, and then it is not so much about how much they eat, but what they eat. Genes normally provide just a lose frame within individual vulnerabilities for obesity form up. There is a strong correlation - a very strong correlation - between eduction level and social class, and weight indices. The lower the social class, the smaller the knoweldge about the pros and cons of different nutrition types and food is, and the more unhealthy stuff gets eaten, also because it often is cheaper. Especially sugar, and bad oils and bad fats need to be mentioned here: all the good, tasty things pre-produced food and fast food is full of. excessive ammounts of salt eaten also can helpt to affect the metabolism for the negative, helping obesity.

There is also a strong correlation between industrial-civilisational level, and obesity. In the first, it is a problem of the socalled developed nations. Bad food quality, and changed working environments (less physical work resulting in peopl eating more than they could burn) work hand in hand here.

August
11-17-08, 10:09 AM

Actually if anything it provides more reason to regulate your own behavior since you'd be passing the problem on to your kids.

XabbaRus
11-17-08, 10:48 AM
True, but the people who are already fat will just blame their folks....whether they will make the connection before they have kids and cut down I don't know.

Thing is I can eat a lot...I mean a lot and I don't really put on weight. I'm about 13 stone and 6'2" and I walk a lot....so I think genes are in there somewhere....

August
11-17-08, 11:18 AM
True, but the people who are already fat will just blame their folks....whether they will make the connection before they have kids and cut down I don't know.

Thing is I can eat a lot...I mean a lot and I don't really put on weight. I'm about 13 stone and 6'2" and I walk a lot....so I think genes are in there somewhere....

At least they don't have to change permanently. The article says only during pregnancy.

Zachstar
11-17-08, 11:49 AM
Atleast this will partially help end these diet crazes that usually end up with people in the clinic for malnutrition.

The fact that just does not seem to get across enough is that eating little does NOT always = thin. Eating little only gets your body to store more fat thinking there will soon be a time with extremely little to no food.

Being active and eating a healthy and well planned diet is the path to victory here. And yes it may take decades but it gets me sad when people think they can burn 40 pounds by just eating 1 meal a day or something. It is simply not true!

Skybird
11-17-08, 12:11 PM
Being active and eating a healthy and well planned diet is the path to victory here. And yes it may take decades but it gets me sad when people think they can burn 40 pounds by just eating 1 meal a day or something. It is simply not true!
Exactly!

Eat hypoglycaemic carbohydrates and then as much as you want, but avoid hyperglycaemic ones. Get a healthy share of other classes of nutrition (protein, vitamines, etc) as well. Drink with control and strict modesty. Don't smoke. Reduce the consummation of white refined sugar and flour, and reduce salt as much as you can - best would be to avoid the first two altogether, and the salt drastically reduced. Avoid bad fats.

Admitted, most things from the supermarket that are not fresh meat, fruits and vegetables then wpuld be forbidden for you - practically all that comes in boxes, cans, and plastic bags and has been industrially "processed". In principle, it damages your metabolism more (over the years) than it does good for you.

SteamWake
11-17-08, 12:16 PM
While some individuals may have a propensity for obisiety due to genetics. The contemporary diet has alot to do with it as well.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/01/05/health/main591325.shtml

Konovalov
11-17-08, 12:50 PM
Fast food should be a treat, not part of ones daily diet.

August
11-17-08, 01:34 PM
Quality of the food isn't the issue here. What the study suggests is that a babys eating habits develop to match the mothers eating habits.

Therefore if the mother eats like a pig during pregnancy it's likely the baby will also have those tendencies once it is born. It shouldn't matter how the mother eats when she is not pregnant.

XabbaRus
11-17-08, 03:46 PM
Well my kids should be fine then. My wife ae healthily when she was pregnant.

In fact witnessing my wifes pregnancy I'd say it does have an effect. When she was pregnant with my daughter she ate loads of cucumbers and my daughter loves cucmbers. With Max she ate more meat and Max loves meat...

At the moment though he is being a bugger and being picky. End result he goes hungry and then he'll eat. Funny that...

joea
11-17-08, 05:15 PM
Admitted, most things from the supermarket that are not fresh meat, fruits and vegetables then wpuld be forbidden for you - practically all that comes in boxes, cans, and plastic bags and has been industrially "processed". In principle, it damages your metabolism more (over the years) than it does good for you.

Oh dear those poor sub crew, eating salted meat or canned milk spam etc. in the u-boots or the USN boats with their ice cream machines. What sacrifices those who served went through. :p

I actually agree with this otherwise.

11-18-08, 02:15 AM
I agree with a lot of the recommendations that were posited here. But there are big things to watch out for: Sodium, retains fluids and screws with your heart. 64oz of water a day. Bad. Lots of fiber, fresh stuff and do things in moderation. Pretty simple.

FIREWALL
11-18-08, 03:11 AM
Thanks Guys Now ..... you tell me.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/6620/screenshot45zd0ra8dg6.jpg

Rilder
11-18-08, 04:27 AM
^^ At least I'm not that fat :|

Seth8530
11-18-08, 06:46 AM
Atleast this will partially help end these diet crazes that usually end up with people in the clinic for malnutrition.

The fact that just does not seem to get across enough is that eating little does NOT always = thin. Eating little only gets your body to store more fat thinking there will soon be a time with extremely little to no food.

Actually you would be surprised just how easy it is to lose 40lbs eating only one meal a day

August
11-18-08, 09:10 AM
All this sounds great but it has nothing to do with the article.